Pentax general discussion

I don't know what your budget is or your knowledge of the Pentax system, but the latest Pentax camera is the K5. It uses the same body as the K7, but with a new 16 mp sensor and other upgrades. It has been getting impressive reviews, bordering on the image quality of the FF cameras. Its ISO, lowlight AF and AFC functions have beeen improved over the K7. As far as the lens line, Pentax' strength has been its prime lenses. Fast zoom lenses have not been the strength of the Pentax system. For that I use Sigma lenses. I have three and have been very pleased with their performance. I did have a problem with one lens and the customer service was unbelievably good. There are three other strengths to the system and those are the in-body stabilization vs in-lens stabilization. The lenses for Pentax, while they may not be as numerous, are somewhat cheaper and every lens is image stabilized. Second, is that the lens mounts have been reverse engineered allowing for the use of any bayonet mount Pentax lens. Obviously, with some differences in functionality, but they will work. For the old screw mount lenses there is an adaptor. Third is the (IMHO) superior weather resistance with matching WR lenses. They have just released a new 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 WR lens that, again, is receiving good reviews. That lens is not much bigger than the 18-55 lens. It may be a lens to look at for a walk-around.

I believe Groucho has one of the new K5's and may better be able to comment on it.

As far as the lens line, Pentax' strength has been its prime lenses. Fast zoom lenses have not been the strength of the Pentax system.
Well... yes and no. I've seen a few switchers to Pentax (there's been a fair number of Canikon FF shooters who have switched to the K-5 already) say that one thing that swayed them was Pentax's support of good fast zooms for the APS sensor. They've got the high-end, sealed 16-50mm F2.8, 50-135mm F2.8, and 60-250mm F4. Each one is superb optically and they are reasonably sized and weighted. The "big boys" generally don't build high-end zooms for the APS bodies, they would rather push you towards something like a FF 70-200mm F2.8, which IMHO is not nearly as nice of a fit on an APS sensor, since 70mm is just too long for walk-around use. Plus the 70-200mm is much larger, heavier, and more expensive. Again, they have the 60-250mm if you need more reach, which is not a cheap lens by any means but less than you'll pay for an OEM 70-200mm F2.8. Slower, yes, but also 10mm wider and 50mm longer. I would love to pick one up but the budget doesn't allow for it.

I use my 16-50 and 50-135 a lot; I find them to be tremendously useful focal lengths. Between the two of them, I can cover most anything and they're my go-to lenses when my needs call for a zoom rather than a prime.

I did pick up a K-5 and am blown away by it so far. IMHO it's clearly the best APS DSLR money can buy, and makes a compelling argument for APS instead of FF.

Well... yes and no. I've seen a few switchers to Pentax (there's been a fair number of Canikon FF shooters who have switched to the K-5 already) say that one thing that swayed them was Pentax's support of good fast zooms for the APS sensor. They've got the high-end, sealed 16-50mm F2.8, 50-135mm F2.8, and 60-250mm F4. Each one is superb optically and they are reasonably sized and weighted. The "big boys" generally don't build high-end zooms for the APS bodies, they would rather push you towards something like a FF 70-200mm F2.8, which IMHO is not nearly as nice of a fit on an APS sensor, since 70mm is just too long for walk-around use. Plus the 70-200mm is much larger, heavier, and more expensive. Again, they have the 60-250mm if you need more reach, which is not a cheap lens by any means but less than you'll pay for an OEM 70-200mm F2.8. Slower, yes, but also 10mm wider and 50mm longer. I would love to pick one up but the budget doesn't allow for it.

I use my 16-50 and 50-135 a lot; I find them to be tremendously useful focal lengths. Between the two of them, I can cover most anything and they're my go-to lenses when my needs call for a zoom rather than a prime.

I did pick up a K-5 and am blown away by it so far. IMHO it's clearly the best APS DSLR money can buy, and makes a compelling argument for APS instead of FF.

You are right about the shorter range zooms, I kinda mis-wrote because I was thinking about the longer range low light lenses, ie, 70-200 2.8, etc. In my situation (and mine only) I need the 2.8 with my K10's for the lighting conditions I find myself shooting in. Not everybody will need the 2.8. It seems that the Pentax business plan is to focus on the APS-C lenses and with cameras that have usable high ISO abilities. I am happy to hear you like the K-5. It is definitely on my radar screen for early summer purchase.

You are right about the shorter range zooms, I kinda mis-wrote because I was thinking about the longer range low light lenses, ie, 70-200 2.8, etc. In my situation (and mine only) I need the 2.8 with my K10's for the lighting conditions I find myself shooting in. Not everybody will need the 2.8. It seems that the Pentax business plan is to focus on the APS-C lenses and with cameras that have usable high ISO abilities. I am happy to hear you like the K-5. It is definitely on my radar screen for early summer purchase.
Yeah, I think they are definitely invested in APS for now. With the K-5's sensor, the desire for a FF Pentax body is not nearly as strong as it was before... and if you need more, they've got the 645D for you.

I still would not be shocked to see a FF body, but we'd need to see a new sensor, I think. The current Sony/Nikon 12mp and 24mp sensors are a couple generations old compared to the APS sensors - a FF Sony Exmoor sensor with similar-size photosites to the 16mp sensor would be really amazing and could probably blow away all the current FF sensors.

My main reason for thinking that we may till get a FF body is that we haven't seen a current lens roadmap for a couple years... they're surely working on new lenses but lately, we only know about them just before they're released. Surely there are new ones in the pipeline, and if there were a handful of FF lenses, it might make people not buy anything in anticipation of a FF body. Who knows? :confused3 I was happy to read (though not really surprised) that Pentax is doing very well profit-wise; I think it's a very good time to be a Pentax fan. :thumbsup2

I do not own that lens (I do have 3 other Sigmas), but the ratings aren't as good as the 18-250 which has the hyper sonic motor. Of course it costs a couple of hundred dollars more. If I may ask, what are you going to use it for?

I do not own that lens (I do have 3 other Sigmas), but the ratings aren't as good as the 18-250 which has the hyper sonic motor. Of course it costs a couple of hundred dollars more. If I may ask, what are you going to use it for?

Well I PM'ed Groucho and he suggested I look at Tamron too. I have a Sigma but no Tamron glass. So I looked and ended up ordering this one just a few minutes ago...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/363592-REG/Tamron_AF014P700_18_200mm_f_3_5_6_3_XR_Di_II.html

It was a bit more but with the $100 mail in rebate it is a lot less.

To answer your question on what I am going to use it for......I have the kit 18-55 and a 50-200 and I get tired of always switching lenses so I wanted to get one to cover that whole range. My wife inherited my K100D when I got my K-7 a few weeks ago and she will mainly carry the 50-200 with her. I wanted this so that when we walk around WDW or DL I have the wide range.

Thanks for all the info that you all gave.:thumbsup2

Mark.

If you have an account at Newegg.com, they have a special going for an additional 10% off digital cameras, a maximum of $150. That makes the Kr, $585 (and change) and the K5, $1,391.94. This is a limited time offer for those interested.

I paid $1419.19 for B&H with free shipping. I live in NJ so I did not pay any sale tax. I got it late last night and didn't have much time to play with it yet.

May I join? I just got the K-X for Christmas :santa: I actually took it out in the snow to take pictures. I have a feeling I am going to have a lot of questions for you experts! :flower3:

I think it's time for me to stop looking at prices for the K-5 - for a few weeks, I had paid less than just about anyone else. Now the prices are going lower than what I paid. :) Oh well, I don't regret it - I got it in time for my sister-in-law's wedding and there's no way I could have done as well with the K-7. (Much as I love the K-7 - but obviously it can't really compete with the K-5 in terms of high ISO.)

Welcome, can84 - the K-x is a great camera!

May I join? I just got the K-X for Christmas :santa: I actually took it out in the snow to take pictures. I have a feeling I am going to have a lot of questions for you experts! :flower3:

Welcome aboard! Ask away, there are some very good folks here to help.

How did you do in the snow? I just got a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for Christmas. I popped it on the camera and started taking picture. Oops -- too much light at f2.8 but I got some okay picture at f9. I have a ton to learn too. I'm starting the free course 12 Weeks to Better Photography over at twopeasinabucket.com under photography discussion.

I do have a focus question. Where do must people set it too? I noticed in camera there is 11 point focus, 5 point focus etc. etc.

Thanks as always.

How you do in the snow? I just got a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for Christmas. I popped it on the camera and started taking picture. Oops -- too much light at f2.8 but I got some okay picture at f9. I have a ton to learn too. I'm starting the free course 12 Weeks to Better Photography over at twopeasinabucket.com under photography discussion.

I do have a focus question. Where do must people set it too? I noticed in camera there is 11 point focus, 5 point focus etc. etc.

Thanks as always.

My camera has three options, auto (the camera chooses), Select (I choose and move the focus point) and Center focus (always focuses on center of image). The majority of the time, I'm on Select, where I choose the focus point.

How you do in the snow? I just got a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for Christmas. I popped it on the camera and started taking picture. Oops -- too much light at f2.8 but I got some okay picture at f9. I have a ton to learn too. I'm starting the free course 12 Weeks to Better Photography over at twopeasinabucket.com under photography discussion.

Thanks as always.
What mode are you shooting in? Unless you're in full manual mode, you should get correct exposure whether shooting at F2.8 or F9; the camera should automatically adjust the shutter speed and/or ISO to give you the right exposure.

For focusing, I switch between center-only and 5 point focus on the K-5. I generally want the focus point to be somewhere near the center, and if I want it way to the side, I'll put it near the middle then recompose the image. Our K-x is set to 5 point focus almost all the time. I believe the K-x was the first Pentax to give you this choice.

What mode are you shooting in? Unless you're in full manual mode, you should get correct exposure whether shooting at F2.8 or F9; the camera should automatically adjust the shutter speed and/or ISO to give you the right exposure.

For focusing, I switch between center-only and 5 point focus on the K-5. I generally want the focus point to be somewhere near the center, and if I want it way to the side, I'll put it near the middle then recompose the image. Our K-x is set to 5 point focus almost all the time. I believe the K-x was the first Pentax to give you this choice.

I focused on my daughter's face and had the camera set on portrait and I still completely blew the whites. I'm going to try to save the picture in PSE9 today because it came out so cute! But that was at f2.8 with an ISO of 200.. I adjusted to a lower f/stop and the pictures came out better. I'm such a dummy with this camera but I'm starting to get it!

On another note, I used my tripod and did my first manual shot last night and it came out great! I shut off all the lights except the Christmas tree. I set the ISO 200, F22, Shutter speed of 30 seconds at 28 mm on the tripod and got a fantastic picture of my tree. I'm so excited to finally achieve success on my first night picture! I was nervous that it wouldn't come out because I didn't buy a remote yet.

Thank you all for the welcome! :goodvibes I am planning to read the manual this weekend and can't wait to learn how to use the camera and take it off auto. I am switching from a P&S so lots to learn!

How did you do in the snow? I just got a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for Christmas. I popped it on the camera and started taking picture. Oops -- too much light at f2.8 but I got some okay picture at f9. I have a ton to learn too. I'm starting the free course 12 Weeks to Better Photography over at twopeasinabucket.com under photography discussion.

Thanks as always.

The snow pictures came out great! Here are a few:

IMGP0700.jpg

IMGP0680.jpg

IMGP0689.jpg

Hello everybody! I have taken some time away to let the consolidation smooth itself out and just today picked up the Pentax DA 12-24mm!!!! I've played with it a bit and here is the funnest shot I took! Yes I know that I need to clean it, there appears to be a few specks on my sensor and hopefully I can get that taken care of before we leave for our cruise in 3 days!!!! :eek:

I call this photo "Beer Lamp" its a 50%crop...

First12-24BeerLamp-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter