Petty Driving Experience

Terk-1

Dreaming of Disney Cruising!
I was thinking of doing the "riding experience". When I called for information, she told me that it would be $89 plus tax at the WDW Speedway for 3 laps around the 1 mile track at 145 miles an hour, which she said would be done in about 3 minutes.

Has anyone done this? Is it worth the money?

It was worth it and then some!

You take a simulated qualifying lap around the speedway, which is at race speed (150 mph or so). It really gives you a feeling of what the drivers go through.

DWD

Thanks DisneyWorldDad!! I wanted to do the rookie experience, but since I don't know how to drive a standard, that was out. Are there days that are busier than others there? What about time of day? If there is no one waiting, can you go again?

Terk-1....

When I did it, it was a weekday and I was the only one there doing the ride along. I would imagine that if you went back around and bought another ticket, you could get right on. It really is a neat experience. I never let go of the "sissy" handle the whole way around! It was hard for me to keep my perspective on where I was on the track, until I passed the flag stand. I found myself dizzy after I got out of the car as well. When you take off down pit road, it is at "race speed". I kept thinking to myself that he had better slow down so that we can make the 90 degree turn to enter the track between turns 1 & 2 but he never did!

Thanks again for your response DisneyWorldDad! I was thinking of doing this one morning before heading to one of the parks during the week. I only wish I knew how to drive a stick (Aaaahhhhhhh)!

Even though I can't drive the car, the riding experience sounds like a blast!!! I'm guessing this will be one of the highest points of my trip!!!

Few more questions. Since I'm going on this trip solo, there won't be anyone with me to take a picture. Are there CM's or staff members at the track that will take some pictures for you? Also, are all the cars labeled with Richard Petty?

I read somewhere that they have retired vehicles of Dale E. (3), Dale Jr. (8) & Jeff Gordon (24) that they use at the "experience" tracks. I would absolutely LOVE it if I could even be a passenger in one of Jr's retired cars. That would be a ride of a lifetime!!! (can you tell I'm a big fan of #8?):) :eek: :p

Thanks again for all your help!!!
:jester: :smooth:

Glad to help!

They took a professional photo of me when I was in the car, (similar to the type they take as you walk into a park) but I was so pumped when I got out of the car that I forgot to check on the details of how to get it! It's such a laid back atmosphere, that I'm sure if you took a camera, one of the Driving Experience employees would take a picture.

My car just happened to be a replica of Jeff Gordon's, but I'm sure it had the RP Driving experience logo somewhere. Being originally from NC, I was an Earnhart fan myself. I grew up about 30 min. from RCR and 30 min. from Petty Enterprises as well. My college roommate's stepdad was Dale's Uncle, so I understand where you are coming from! I live about 15 min from Dawsonville, GA, so I'm a Bill Elliott fan now.

DWD

DWD,

I was planning on doing this once, but am so excited from your posts, that I have planned on doing it twice (once towards the beginning of the trip & again towards the end).

They have a picture in the new Birnbaum's guide with the cars having the number 43 on the lights.

Thanks again for all your info DWD!!
:jester: :smooth: :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter