Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

Just some kit lens stuff and other basic lens stuff from my December trip with the A6300 - all handheld and JPGs from the camera as it was too darn hot to bring a tripod...this winter has really stunk for Florida - barely any cold days!:

Contemporary and BLT from the Polynesian boat, late afternoon with 18-55mm kit lens:
original.jpg

Mexico dancers near sunset doing their Christmas dance, 18-55mm kit:
original.jpg

Sunset light over Norway Stave church, 55-210mm lens:
original.jpg

Full moon rising over Mexico, taken from France bridge with the 55-210mm:
original.jpg

More full moon peekaboo shots - this one rising through the streets of China, with the 18-55mm kit:
original.jpg

China temple at night, 18-55mm:
original.jpg

Spaceship Earth and the entrance with Christmas decor, on the way out with the 18-55mm:
original.jpg

We'll, I finally took the plunge. Using the Sony discount and B&H's trade-in bonus I purchased an A7rii. I'm looking forward to a big jump in high ISO capabilities and the IBIS which should pair well with my various manual focusing lenses. I was close to buying the Batis 85mm 1.8 for portraits, but I'm currently leaning towards the new Sony FE 85mm 1.8 which so far has received solid reviews.

Out of curiosity, I'll be doing some comparisons between my NEX-7 and the A7rii in crop mode. I'm interested to see how they compare resolution wise and at higher ISOs. Wide angle shots will also be compared. The NEX-7 clearly exhibits purple fringing and vignetting with my fisheye and is notoriously for that with other wide angle lenses (though not the Sony E 10-18mm). I'm also interested in how the 10-18mm would work on the A7rii - many have used it successfully at 12 - 16mm.

My NEX-7 is showing some signs of slowing down but it still hanging tough. I've been impressed with how well it's held up. I purchased it in 2012 and after a year or so of treating it like a baby, I've roughed it up a bit since. Sony doesn't claim weather resistant but that camera has been used in the rain, the snow and exposed to sand & wind. It will make a solid backup.

We'll, I finally took the plunge. Using the Sony discount and B&H's trade-in bonus I purchased an A7rii. I'm looking forward to a big jump in high ISO capabilities and the IBIS which should pair well with my various manual focusing lenses. I was close to buying the Batis 85mm 1.8 for portraits, but I'm currently leaning towards the new Sony FE 85mm 1.8 which so far has received solid reviews.

Out of curiosity, I'll be doing some comparisons between my NEX-7 and the A7rii in crop mode. I'm interested to see how they compare resolution wise and at higher ISOs. Wide angle shots will also be compared. The NEX-7 clearly exhibits purple fringing and vignetting with my fisheye and is notoriously for that with other wide angle lenses (though not the Sony E 10-18mm). I'm also interested in how the 10-18mm would work on the A7rii - many have used it successfully at 12 - 16mm.

My NEX-7 is showing some signs of slowing down but it still hanging tough. I've been impressed with how well it's held up. I purchased it in 2012 and after a year or so of treating it like a baby, I've roughed it up a bit since. Sony doesn't claim weather resistant but that camera has been used in the rain, the snow and exposed to sand & wind. It will make a solid backup.

Congratulations. Truly you will be getting a massive step up in every way from the NEX-7.
While the 10-18 may give you the coverage of the frame, I wouldn't be surprised if it's too soft to really look great on a 42mp full frame sensor. But certainly worth a try. I think you're wise to pick the FE 85/1.8.

You should see a full 2-3 stop ISO improvement.

My 2 cents of advice on the transition:
-Full frame focal lengths can be jarring at first. All your lenses suddenly feel shorter than they used to. You start bringing yourself closer to your subjects. DOF gets narrower. It takes a little bit of mental adjustment.
-The dynamic range and "ISO invariance" has come a long long way. The old school of thought was to expose to the right, exposing for the shadows in other to decrease noise. But with these newest sensors, I find it is better to expose to the left -- expose for the highlights. Raw files have so freaking much dynamic range, that you can cleanly lift shadows to an unbelievable degree.

Good luck and can't wait to see your images.

Congrats @fractal :-)

Im starting to lose hope on the A-Mount all together. I had a sliver of hope with the announcement of the A99II but now hearing Sigma and Tamron will no longer make A-Mount its looking pretty bleak, the new Art lenses do look sweet.

Im starting to lose hope on the A-Mount all together. I had a sliver of hope with the announcement of the A99II but now hearing Sigma and Tamron will no longer make A-Mount its looking pretty bleak, the new Art lenses do look sweet.

Thanks! Just got it about an hour ago and it's going to take getting used to for sure. A-mount is such a mystery, I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes. The A99ii looks like a great camera, but ironically the lens support looks like it will be stronger for E-mount going forward. Word is Sigma will be releasing FE versions of the Art lenses.

Thanks! Just got it about an hour ago and it's going to take getting used to for sure. A-mount is such a mystery, I don't know what I would do if I were in your shoes. The A99ii looks like a great camera, but ironically the lens support looks like it will be stronger for E-mount going forward. Word is Sigma will be releasing FE versions of the Art lenses.

The A99ii had me very interested and excited about A-Mount again but the last thing I want is to be limited with mostly new options being Sony glass (minus adapters). That was one of the reasons I didn't switch to FE mount to begin with, the lack of affordable decent third party lenses. So now it looks like i either switch to FE, still have to wait for who knows how long for more third party lenses or I switch brands all together

I didn't see that Tamron is stopping? I actually like what Tamron is doing, more than Sigma. Yes, Sigma is making huge heavy Otus competitors. Yes, they may have record breaking image quality and 1.4 apertures. Meanwhile, Tamron, in my opinion, is making far more usable lenses --- Lenses that won't break your back to carry. And for my purposes, a 1.8 with stabilization is better than a 1.4 without stabilization. And while the Sigma IQ may be record breaking, Tamron is getting near those records. I absolutely love my Tamron 24-70, 45/1.8 and 85/1.8.
I was considering the new Sigma 14/1.8 --- Sounds fantastic and I'd love to 14mm with autofocus, but it is freaking 40+ ounces. That's the same as a 70-200/2.8 lens. I don't need an ultrawide prime that will break my back.

Anyway... you know I have my nostalgic love for A-mount. Seems Sony is determined just to milk remaining dollars out of A-mount customers --- Give them an occasional body to stick their old lenses on. The A99ii looks..... my impression is mixed.
The image quality looks fantastic, much better than the A99. And 42mp.. the resolution is wow. But.... I really don't want/need a 42mp camera. Like the Nikon D810/D750, the Canon 5ds/5div, and the Sony A7rii/A7ii...... I wish there was a lower resolution option.
Second.... the autofocus system looks amazing on paper. But then when you read the fine print..... the advanced features of the system won't work with 3rd party lenses -- so won't work with any of those great Sigma and Tamron lenses. And won't work with Minolta lenses. And it's not like Sony is growing their A-mount lens lineup -- so you're stuck with their small and somewhat outdated lens lineup, just to get lenses that fully support the great AF system. Otherwise, you are stuck using a AF system that is ok... a little better than the A99 AF system. But nothing special.
12fps? Great!! A competitor for the 1dxii and 5d at half the price? Umm.. think again about the limits and fine print. At 12fps, you get the dreaded "slide show effect"... but you can get live view at 8fps. But.... along with the AF system, that 12 fps won't really support 3rd party lenses, Minolta lenses, at smaller apertures. Unless shooting a fast lens wide open, you're going to lock focus on the first frame. So there is no continuous AF tracking unless using the right lenses.

I used to be so deeply invested in A-mount lenses... and I think I only had a couple lenses that would even have been fully supported. My best lenses wouldn't have even been supported by the full camera.

Meanwhile, I do think a smart a-mount user should ask with each camera release, "is this the last one?" As long as they aren't releasing lenses, they aren't marketing A-mount, they aren't even selling A-mount in all markets, the demand will continue to drop.. and drop. And Sony will space out the A-mount releases, further and further apart. And only a matter of time before it just fades away. The A77ii is hitting its 3 year anniversary --- some people are saying it is due for an update this year. I'll bet you that you won't see an update until next year at the earliest. And if the A99ii sells poorly, then it might not be updated at all.

It's a shame. Makes me wish A-mount never went SLT. 5 years ago, SLT was a great way to get some mirrorless advantages without the disadvantages. But with the improvement in mirrorless... nowadays..... the SLT lacks some of the strengths of dSLR, without having all the advantages of mirrorless. Instead of best of both worlds, it's kinda becoming the worst of both worlds. Especially as the FE lenses have surpassed A-mount lenses.

The A7rii has some real heft to it. Love the way it feels in my hand but the weight difference vs. NEX-7 is significant.

I can already see noticeable difference due to the IBIS, especially with the longer lenses.

I never understood all the hate for the NEX menus. Perhaps because it didn't look like a DSLR menu, looks more like a smart phone with icons and although the layout could have been more "logical" I found it easy to navigate. This new menu is cumbersome and non-intuitive.

I miss Tri-Nav. The dials on the A7rii are a bit tough to move. Maybe they'll loosen up. I've configured the custom buttons with my preferred functions, it's going to take some time to figure out how to navigate with my eye in the EVF.

EVF is really nice, but I don't see the exposure scale when I change ISO like I do with the NEX-7.

There's an extra step vs. NEX-7 when magnifying focus peaking. Don't like it.

Build of camera is top-notch.

I've taken a few shots around the house but have yet to download and work with them in LR. Leaving for Ohio State tomorrow for Big 10 Swimming Championships so plenty of opportunity to break this in.

The A99ii had me very interested and excited about A-Mount again but the last thing I want is to be limited with mostly new options being Sony glass (minus adapters). That was one of the reasons I didn't switch to FE mount to begin with, the lack of affordable decent third party lenses. So now it looks like i either switch to FE, still have to wait for who knows how long for more third party lenses or I switch brands all together

It is not worth switching to FE, unless you really love mirrorless. This isn't a dis against the cameras or lenses or mirrorless. I'm a fan of the FE system....... but..... the lens options are just overpriced. It's getting a little better. Nice to see semi-affordable 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 for FE mount. But first off, the first party lenses for FE mount are still a bit pricier than equivalent first party lenses for Canon and Nikon. On top of that, you have Sigma and Tamron selling great affordable lenses that aren't available for FE mount.
If you love mirrorless, it may be worthwhile. But if you still like the feel of a real dSLR, then you're better off just switching brands.

It is not worth switching to FE, unless you really love mirrorless. This isn't a dis against the cameras or lenses or mirrorless. I'm a fan of the FE system....... but..... the lens options are just overpriced. It's getting a little better. Nice to see semi-affordable 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 for FE mount. But first off, the first party lenses for FE mount are still a bit pricier than equivalent first party lenses for Canon and Nikon. On top of that, you have Sigma and Tamron selling great affordable lenses that aren't available for FE mount.
If you love mirrorless, it may be worthwhile. But if you still like the feel of a real dSLR, then you're better off just switching brands.

Mirror or mirrorless doesn't really matter to me ,EVF and focus peeking are the two features that have me wanting to stick with Sony. Seems like every year I have this same dilemma and end up stick with my A99 for another year, lol. I also still have yet to put my hands on any of the Sony A7rii to see how it feels in my hand. Would really need to play around with one for a shoot to see how it feels after a little usage.

Mirror or mirrorless doesn't really matter to me ,EVF and focus peeking are the two features that have me wanting to stick with Sony. Seems like every year I have this same dilemma and end up stick with my A99 for another year, lol. I also still have yet to put my hands on any of the Sony A7rii to see how it feels in my hand. Would really need to play around with one for a shoot to see how it feels after a little usage.

EVF is what I meant by mirrorless. When is the last time you shot with a really good OVF?
Honestly, you know I use both. I find that mirrorless fans overstate the benefits of OVF, and understand the deficiencies. While mirrorless haters underestimate the benefits and exaggerate the deficiencies.
In the end, I'm pretty equally comfortable with both. There are times when I wish my d750 had an EVF...especially when there is a strong glare and I wish I could review images in the EVF.
And there are times when I'm frustrated by the EVF of my A6300 --- You've gotten used to the fact that it takes 2-3 seconds after you "wake up" the camera before you can use it. But on my D750, I'm used to the camera being ready to use the instant I turn it on or lift it to my eye. And it's nice to be able to go days without worrying about charging the battery.
Focus peaking is nice in mirrorless...... Personally, I never used it very much on the A99 or the A6300.... I rarely shoot manual focus. Especially if I have a good AF system. But I use the manual focus Samyang 14mm on the D750, and sometimes I wish it it had focus peeking.
Point is, I think really for most people, they overestimate the difference between OVF/EVF.
If you are sure you love EVF, then it might be worth looking at E-mount. If I were in your shoes though, I'd wait for the A7iii. The A7iii should take responsiveness, autofocus and IQ to the next level, but at a lower resolution and price than the A7rii.
But I'd also keep my eye on what Canon and Nikon do with a 6dii, D760, and possible mirrorless full frame. Consider lenses, not just camera bodies.

Late last night I pulled some simple shots (raw) into lightroom. My Lord, these files! Just amazing to work with. Gobs of resolution, but never looks digital - almost film like. Plenty of room to push the sliders, but never felt the need. Just beautiful.

Today, first day of shooting indoor sports (swimming).

Pros - High Iso, no problem. Shooting around ISO 2000-2500. very comparable to ISO 400-800 on Nex-7!

IBIS works well. Using the Minolta 200 2.8 APO. Used to use a monopod but not anymore. Shooting handheld at 1/1000 of second with no shake in the EVF. I know that they say it won't make a difference for moving subjects, but my situation it does.

Despite what some reviews states, I found Focus peaking to be very accurate without magnification. This is crucial for me as I'm manually focusing.

Did I mention how beautiful the files are? My Lord!

Cons:

Shooting Raw I'm getting about 3-4 frames/sec vs 7-8 on the nex-7.

Still struggling with the menu system:

Other Observations

- right now I don't have a native E-mount lens outside the 10-18 so I haven't been able to really test the improved Autofocus.

Camera feels good in the hand and balances better with the 200mm vs Nex-7.

Battery life is an issue. Battery drains quicker than the NEX-7. I'm sure the IBIS, bigger evf play a part. I'm loaded with 4 batteries. Tomorrow is a full day of shooting so we'll see how it goes.

Final thoughts - those files!

Late last night I pulled some simple shots (raw) into lightroom. My Lord, these files! Just amazing to work with. Gobs of resolution, but never looks digital - almost film like. Plenty of room to push the sliders, but never felt the need. Just beautiful.

Today, first day of shooting indoor sports (swimming).

Pros - High Iso, no problem. Shooting around ISO 2000-2500. very comparable to ISO 400-800 on Nex-7!

IBIS works well. Using the Minolta 200 2.8 APO. Used to use a monopod but not anymore. Shooting handheld at 1/1000 of second with no shake in the EVF. I know that they say it won't make a difference for moving subjects, but my situation it does.

Despite what some reviews states, I found Focus peaking to be very accurate without magnification. This is crucial for me as I'm manually focusing.

Did I mention how beautiful the files are? My Lord!

Cons:

Shooting Raw I'm getting about 3-4 frames/sec vs 7-8 on the nex-7.

Still struggling with the menu system:

Other Observations

- right now I don't have a native E-mount lens outside the 10-18 so I haven't been able to really test the improved Autofocus.

Camera feels good in the hand and balances better with the 200mm vs Nex-7.

Battery life is an issue. Battery drains quicker than the NEX-7. I'm sure the IBIS, bigger evf play a part. I'm loaded with 4 batteries. Tomorrow is a full day of shooting so we'll see how it goes.

Final thoughts - those files!

You'll be in awe for a while.
You went from a 6 year old camera to a camera less than 2 years old. You went from aps-c to full frame. You went from 24mp to 42mp. You went from a consumer camera to a pro build.

That's a lot of jumps all at once!!

How's the 200/2.8 holding up when you pixel peep? While I was amazed by the resolution at 24mp... considering it is a 30-year-old lens, I'd be shocked if it can really fully resolve 42mp.

Here is the problem with a great full frame camera.. you now will be compelled to buy matching lenses. Otherwise, it's like owning a Ferrari but only using it to drive down the street to the convenience store.

You've got a phenomenal autofocus system...but no lenses that will really take full advantage of it.
You have 42mp... but I doubt any of your lenses are using more than half that potential. (The 10-18 is a decent lens on aps-c... but even if it can cover the full frame, I have to imagine those edges are very soft).

So once you get past your awe and start critically examining your images... you'll start "needing" better lenses.
If you want to see what the camera is really capable of... taking the Ferrari out on the autobahn, I bet you can get the FE 55/1.8 at a good price used.

A7rii + Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8 @ ISO 1600, F/3.5, 1/800 sec. I bumped exposure up +0.65 in LR and cropped in about 10-15%?

DSC00538-X2.jpg

A7rii + Minolta Maxxum 200mm 2.8 @ ISO 1600, F/3.5, 1/800 sec. I bumped exposure up +0.65 in LR and cropped in about 10-15%?

DSC00538-X2.jpg

Cropped? Feeling the loss of the 1.5 crop factor?
I remember when I switched to FF, how short every lens suddenly felt. Took getting used to.
Of course, the A7rii gives you plenty of cropping room. Nice.

Cropped? Feeling the loss of the 1.5 crop factor?
I remember when I switched to FF, how short every lens suddenly felt. Took getting used to.
Of course, the A7rii gives you plenty of cropping room. Nice.

During the course of the 3-day tournament the school's fans were designated where in the stands they could sit. The first day I was right on top of the action and even with a FF, the near swimmer overfilled my frame. Other sessions I was further away. What I really wish I had was a 70-200 zoom. I have just a few more years of shooting my son swimming and my daughter in dance so I don't really want to buy that lens as I otherwise shoot primes. I may consider renting. I think the 200mm 2.8 yielded outstanding results with the A7rii overall. Close to buying the FE 55mm.

During the course of the 3-day tournament the school's fans were designated where in the stands they could sit. The first day I was right on top of the action and even with a FF, the near swimmer overfilled my frame. Other sessions I was further away. What I really wish I had was a 70-200 zoom. I have just a few more years of shooting my son swimming and my daughter in dance so I don't really want to buy that lens as I otherwise shoot primes. I may consider renting. I think the 200mm 2.8 yielded outstanding results with the A7rii overall. Close to buying the FE 55mm.

The 55 may be the best way for you to see the A7rii potential without breaking the bank entirely.

My kids have never been serious into sports.... but I was considering the new Sigma 100-400. I've never owned a zoom longer than 300... my current longest are 200. Longer zooms are just too big and heavy for me, but the new 100-400 (unlike most Sigma lenses) doesn't look too huge. Then my son announced he isn't doing baseball this spring. So I realized I have no real use for the longer zoom anymore.

Of course the 70-200/2.8 is supposed to be fantastic.. but expensive and heavy. The FE 70-200/4 is actually a pretty decent balance. And you can find it used for not ridiculously expensive. Justin likes his 70-300

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter