Pin collecting?

mickey&minnie04

DIS Veteran
I am very new to the whole pin "world". I am very intrigued by the hidden Mickey pins....can anyone tell me anything more about these pins? Also as a collector what pins would you say would be the ones most collectible? Of course I will be collecting the ones that mean something to me personally, but what are the must haves?

thanks!

Pin collecting is very subjective, what may be valuable to me may not be to someone else. We just collect what we like to be honest.

It is funy... I have a ton of pins (I bet if I weighed them it would be close) and I have a lot of the "Holy Grails" and the one I need now is just a common pin from a starter kit.. For me it is not about the opin but the hunt for what I want and need. Sometimes it is a real hard to get and other times it is in every book you see... EXCEPT THE ONE I AM LOOKING AT!!!!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Nat I'm like that too, I have a few that I've been looking for for what feels like ages but I've got a lot of really nice pins too. I just with the stars would align so I could find my completers. LOL What are you looking for right now?

I guess I just feel slightly overwhelmed since there are SO many! I was just there last week and didn't buy a single pin ....then I take the KTTK tour and our tour guide Rae shows us a pin and I think wow I would really like that one! But couldn't find it and didn't know much about it until now! Now I got myself hooked a week too late! I guess I saved myself some money. On to ebay I guess....just have to be careful and watch for fakes!

dispins is a good seller on ebay. they don't necessarily have the best prices, but you know you are getting legit Disney pins. Also you can actually purchase pins from the parks by going to www.disneypins.com Put in a search and there is info underneath the picture of the pin once you select it about how to order.

As well as order from www.disneystore.com

Yes, you do need to be careful on eBay, unless you don't care if you have scrappers. :) I have some scrappers that I know are bad but man, you can't tell it by looking, they look really good!! Anyway, there is a list here on the CB that has a list of "good" sellers that many of us have personally dealt with. Try to find it and see what they have that you might like. :)

It's all preference really. I mainly collect Donald Duck pins, but find myself getting sucked into so many sets. It's hard sometimes to find the last one in a set but it can be fun sometimes too. I've found that a lot of people find the Star Wars mystery 2 packs are very popular and are good for trading. Just glad I completed the set this past trip. I also snagged up any pin I saw on CM's so that I would have extras for them for when I need to bargain.

:rotfl: I agree this pin collecting has a whole sub-culture. We started on our 03 trip with my DD13, 7 at the time. We were in the Country Bear show and a English gentleman told my DD that the Snow White head she had came in a set of all the Dwarfs so a total of 8 pins. So we started looking the rest of the trip and she got all 8 heads. So from then on we kind of look for a set to collect and try to fill it up during each trip. The hidden Mickey pins ( used to be lanyard pins) are only available from trade with a CM. We DW, DD13, DD10 have fun looking at our old pins. I get one that has the year we go on it. I also get a pin from the resort we stay at. So on my Hat I have a few that I will not get rid of. Enjoy your new hobby becarful it does not consume you

How do you know if a cast member has a pin or do they all have pins? Also, do you know how i would get breast cancer pins or are they fake or not available until october?

Cast members wear a Pin Lanyard around there neck,or a Pin pouch on the side of there hip.Blue lanyards are for children 12 and under I believe, any other color are open to adults.You can see a list of pins on Pinpics.com you can also set up a Account to keep track of what pins you Own,Want,Trade and you can search to see different pins that Disney has made and bootleggers.

There is only one Pin that's not a Bootleg for Breast Cancer that I see.

pinpics.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?page=1&sid=3617.1245358750&view=v3

Chris

Given the vast numbers of all sorts of different pins out there, it can be very overwhelming. I think the best thing to do is to pick a focused theme or two early on and then branch out from there if you so desire.

I started with Mickey pins, but limited my theme to interests of mine (Star Wars) to keep things sane. I've also added Sleeping Beauty pins to my theme, with a couple other smaller themes related to characters or other interests.

Depending on the characters you like, it can be feast or famine. I also only get pins that I like, regardless of theme. I've passed on many pins that fit my theme because I didn't care for the pin for whatever reason.

I am very new to the whole pin "world". I am very intrigued by the hidden Mickey pins....can anyone tell me anything more about these pins? Also as a collector what pins would you say would be the ones most collectible? Of course I will be collecting the ones that mean something to me personally, but what are the must haves?

thanks!
I too like the hidden Mickey pins and eventually want to collect them all - especially the WDW sets. But, these pins are very subject to being scrapped I guess because they are easy to duplicate and you are only supposed to be able to get them from CMs?
This collecting board is a good place to educate yourself on what to look out for
Happy pin collecting!!

Yes, the LE's and HM's are more widely scrapped then others.

It's all preference really. I mainly collect Donald Duck pins, but find myself getting sucked into so many sets. It's hard sometimes to find the last one in a set but it can be fun sometimes too. I've found that a lot of people find the Star Wars mystery 2 packs are very popular and are good for trading. Just glad I completed the set this past trip. I also snagged up any pin I saw on CM's so that I would have extras for them for when I need to bargain.
Would love you see your Donald pins!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter