Please give me opinions/warnings about the following off-site hotels!

klwdisney

DIS Veteran
Hi... I'm desperately trying to plan a cheap trip to Orlando in November. Please give me your opinions on the following off-site hotels:

1) Knights Inn Maingate: $38.40/night w/ free shuttle to WDW and shuttle avail. to all area parks incl. USF/IOA and SW

2) Best Western Orlando, Irlo Bronson Hwy., Kissimmee: $43.20/night, provides transportation to all parks, but the shuttle to WDW is free.

3) Super 8 Hotel Orlando/Kissimmee, Hwy 192: $47-71/night, Shuttle available to all parks

4) Howard Johnson Express, Irlo Bronson Hwy., Kissimmee: $51/night, free shuttle to WDW

5) Ramada Inn, Rt 192, Kissimmee: $51/night with free WDW shuttle

6) Quality Inn Maingate West: $52/night with free WDW shuttle

We really don't want to have to rent a car so opinions on shuttle service is very important. We are not sure yet weather we'd be including USF/IOA and Sea World just yet, would probably depend on prices and availability of shuttle from hotel. We are still considering Clarion Universal or a Howard Johnson that both are inexpensive and provide free transportation to all orlando themeparks.

It would just be me and DH (late 20's) on this trip - no kids.

Anyway, any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!! :D

I would check the mousesaver site and try for a $49 Allstar room or a Moderate for $89. If you don't have an AP there will probably be other specials for them coming out soon, especially with the economy the way it is! I think WDW transportation would be much better than anything off property, especially without a car. Just a thought.

Wonderland Mom-

Thanks for the tip! I've been keeping an eye on that site, but seeing as how the timeframe in which we would be traveling is considered Value Season, I doubt I'll see rates as good as that! We stayed at ASMo last year and loved it! I just think we're going to need to go even cheaper than their normal value rate this trip that's why I was looking into some of the cheaper offsite rates for this trip. Also, we were considering going to USF/IOA and Sea World this trip if possible so we wanted a place that would provide free transportation to both.

Thank you for responding though! :D :D

definately not Knight's Inn....lots of problems...For just the two of you why not take a flyer,get on Pricleline, bid about 35 to 40 dollares for a three star and I'll bet you will be very pleased...we did 40 and stayed at Renaissance World Gate next to Disney and it was very nice.......Priceline works very well around Disney area.................good luck......Ted

Ted... what's a flyer?

I'm nervous of Priceline because you can't back out of it and we'd require a hotel with shuttle service.

Thanks though...

What specifically was wrong with Knight Inn??

Shuttle service on off-site hotels is on a limited, scheduled basis. I'd suggest you either rent a car or try to get a good rate with the All-Stars. Knights Inn (chain) is rated dead last in Consumers Reports ratings of hotel chains. Carpets are stained and mildewed, bathroom fixtures are cracked and stained, towels and sheets are threadbare. Security is iffy. Do a search on these boards and you'll see several similar reviews.

1) Knights Inn Maingate: The price you quoted, $38.40/night is a great rate. This hotel is located only one mile from Disney, however keep in mind that this is a no frills motel. But if all you need is a place to sleep, you should be fine.

2) Best Western - There are three Best Westerns on Irlo Bronson in Kissimmee. All are very different in terms of quality and location. Let us know which one for more info.

3) Super 8 Motel - Again, there are four Super 8 Motels in Kissimmee. This is a no frills chain, but offer clean and comfortable rooms for the price. Let us know the exact property for more info.

4) Howard Johnson Express - There are 6 Howard Johnsons on 192, of which two are Express Inns. They seem a bit dated to me. One is located next to a flea market, behind a Steak & Shake and the other is located on Lake Cecile.

5) Ramada Inn - Guess how many Ramada's there are? I like the Ramada Limited on Vine Street....the Ramada Plaza Gateway seems nice too.

6) Quality Inn Maingate West - I have heard terrible good things about this property. It was renovated about 2 years ago. Just make sure you dont end up staying at Maingate East. It is reported to be a dump, and in the worst location.

Cheers,
OrlandoInfo

Originally posted by Wonderlandmom
I would check the mousesaver site and try for a $49 Allstar room or a Moderate for $89. If you don't have an AP there will probably be other specials for them coming out soon, especially with the economy the way it is! I think WDW transportation would be much better than anything off property, especially without a car. Just a thought.

:pinkbounc

GREAT IDEA!!
We are arriving late on 12-01-01 and I was trying to find a cheap hotel for that night. I found this and wondered why I did not think of it. THANKS........Swan

We leave tommorow, got a greatdeal at the Marriott Village Courtyard, $49 a night. It only opened in October so it's bound to be nice. I stay at Courtyards on business frequently and have never been disappointed by the rooms. We are renting a car, but I do know they have shuttle service.

I would think that November would be good rates unless it is over Thanksgiving weekend. I read some Priceline tips and read that if you bid 4star hotels near Disney you will get Wyndham Palace, Marriot, Swan, Dolphin or one other and I can't remember...... All are excellent. I was a paranoid Priceline Virgin but put in a bid for $50 in May and stayed at the Wyndham. It was excellent and they were very accomodating. The only part I was nervous about Priceline - they only guarantee accomodations for two. I didn't think my hubby would appreciate sleeping with all three children even in a king sized bed. We lucked out and loved the Wyndham. My mantra on this site seems to be - Join Wyndham by Request if you get a reservation with them.
Have a great trip!

I've used Priceline many times and I don't think I've ever gotten a nasty hotel. I've gotten OK places, but nothing really revolting.

Just checking in with my two cents.....
We stayed at the Howard Johnson on Irlo Bronson on Lake Cecile. I would
strongly suggest you stay away from that hotel! We stayed there two years
ago and had nothing but problems. Wrote a letter and got no satisfaction.
Rooms were old, pool area a mess, a maid just walked in without knocking
and their "continental breakfast" was a joke.

I second the Priceline advice! We got the Hyatt for $35 a night and I know
they had a shuttle, but you did have to pay for it. Good luck hunting!!

- CindyVK

Thank you all very much for your responses! I will keep my eyes open for on-site deals I think. I'm still iffy about trying Priceline because A) I have no room on my credit card - sad as that sounds and B) I can't be guaranteed a hotel with a shuttle service.

Thank you! :D

When you find hotels with shuttles, verify that they are FREE shuttles. A friend made reservations with the shuttle being a very attractive ammenity. She found out later that there was a shuttle for $10 pp per day!

The hotel reserves the right to change shuttle policies. When you get to the hotel it may no longer be free, the schedules may be more limited than you thought or it may require a reservation the night before and be booked by the time you check.
If you're staying offsite a rental car is generally a good idea otherwise I'd look for All-Stars discounts.

If your budget is tight you might reduce your vacation by a day or take a time share tour for a free meal and some discounted or free tickets.

If you can manage between now and November to make room on your credit card, you should give Priceline a try. We're going in November and we got a great rate at the Amerisuites Hotel (on I-Drive near US/IOA) but we will have access to a car. The total we're paying per night is $13.00 (plus $20/nt. AMEX bonus $$ which has expired). There is still a $5/nt. bonus money offer available thru TravelSheryl's website, www.biddingfortravel.com and the going rate for this hotel has been $28/nt. plus $5/bonus. Each room has a refrigerator, microwave, sink, coffee maker, dishes, etc. and includes a deluxe continental breakfast which I hear is pretty good. With the money that you save, you should be able to get a compact rental car thru Priceline. Or you may want to try www.hotwire.com and just plug in your dates for a rental car. They will give you the price per day, including all taxes, up front and you can decide if you want it or not. If you do decide on Priceline or Hotwire, remember that all reservations are non-refundable, so be sure before you bid. Good luck!

Sorry!.."flyer" is take a chance....in Iowa!!!! I just recall some posts awhile back that really talked a lot about problems at Knight's Inn.......as I recall there was some problems with breakins and vandalism......Ted

Also, something to keep in mind, is many of the off property locations do NOT have continually running shuttles. You will have to schedule your days around when they make scheduled runs to WDW which can be very infrequently. You could also book a hotel, only to find out that the service has been cancelled upon arrival. I am not a big fan of Priceline, but in your case it may work. I have a friend who used it recently and got a fairly nice hotel for very little money. Make sure you bid for a 3 star or above. Some of the hotels in the 2 star catagory are not the best. Good Luck.

Do not stay at Quality Inn Maingate West!
It is horrible...dirty, scummy, pillows as flat as pancakes, horrible service!

If you don't mind being 2 miles further, try Comfort Inn Maingate West. Nice little hotel, no frills but clean and friendly, quite new. We got a rate of $29 with cont breakfast!
:bounce:

You'd be better off seeing if you can get any deals in LBV. Like a previous poster mentioned you may want to try Courtyard by Marriot in Downtown Disney. They have been having specials lately. Are you a member of AAA? When I was at the Radisson at LBV they had a AAA rate of 2 nites for $99. If you want to stay in Kissimee there are a couple of hotels. Holiday Inn Nikki Bird is a nice hotel. The rooms are small, but they are clean & nicely decorated. Its right in the middle of the construction mess at 192, so you may be able to get a deal. I don't know if any of these hotels have shuttles -but call and check, and see if any type of discounts are available. :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter