Please help! First time Disney Cruiser trying to choose cabin..

onceuponadream

<font color=0000cc>Keeping fingers crossed<br><fon
Hi

I am trying to choose between category 9 (deluxe oceanview) on deck 2 and category 10 (deluxe inside) on deck 7. All secret pothole rooms are already gone for our dates (March 13, 2004). I am traveling with our 4 kids, my dh and our parents so 4 kids 4 adults in all. We plan to get 3 staterooms with 2 of them being connecting for our kids and us. Which would you choose? I am concerned about Deck 2 being so far down and far away from the pool and Topsiders (although my MIL says we'll be taking the elevator so what difference does it make..I usually take stairs but can wait for the elevator too). We would really like a window for the kids to look out and see where we are. Also, are the category 9's noisy as they are below the restaurants and bars?

One more ? about square footage. The brochure states a square foot for category 8,9 and 10 as 214 sf. It states cat 5,6 and 7 as 268 sf. The picture however looks the same except for the verandah. Are they including the verandah in the sf size or is the actual room bigger also? This may be important because maybe we could book 2 verandah cabins rather than 3 inside for a better price if they are larger on the inside.

Thanks for any help!

I can't help with the category 2 specifics, but I think I can help with the verandah questions. I am almost postive that they include the verandah in the square footage calculation. The interiors of categories 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are virtually the same. The difference being that the bed and seating areas are reversed for the oceanview staterooms. Also, the difference in square footage is 54 sq. ft. The verandahs seem to be about 9x6, which would account for this difference.

Again, I don't know this for sure, but I think it is correct. I keep forgetting my tape measure when I cruise....

Yes, they are including the verandah. Other than that, the space is identical.
Out of your choices, I would take deck 2 if I could be sure that I was not in a noisy area, since I love the sunlight. However, I'd take an inside stateroom on deck 5 rather than an outside that is under a nightclub (or, heaven forbid, the infamous 2626!). Deck 5 is definitely a convenient deck. However, there are some other factors to consider when determining noise. For example, the staterooms at the head of the hall get more traffic passing by, and those that are in areas where the surrounding staterooms sleep 4 rather than 3 also get more noise around them. Some noise is more bothersome to some people than others. For example, engine noise doesn't bother me at all, but hallway sound drives me crazy, and I know that some people are just the opposite. Also, hearing a bass line alone will keep me awake, but I'lll drift off if I can actually hear the music. Choose wisely based on your personal preferences.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Just got back from the 10/27 Wonder and we stayed in a Catgeory 9 deluxe oceanview room on deck 2. It was wonderful. Not too far just get a stateroom aft. The stairs and elevators are very convenient.

The room was very spacious. Eight of us went and we had 3 Catgeory 9 staterooms and everyone in our party was happy their rooms.

I have to have quiet to sleep and we had our 17 month DS with us. Deck 2 was always quiet, easy to get to and not crowded like some of the other decks. I am very picky and I give it a thumbs up.

ope that helps. Also had 3 large suitcases and garment bag, diaper bag and 2 back packs and had plenty of storage space.

The window in our room was huge. Much larger than other liners. It had a shade to pull across so the sun coming in was never an issue. It was fun to look out at the ports, see where we were, watch the sun set. Well worth it.

Thanks so much for your opinions so far! As this is the first time I've visited these boards (am usually going to WDW) forgive me if I ask a question that has already been asked. As far as category 9 rooms go..Barb said the infamous 2626 is bad. Any others that are good or bad? Also if we go with 3 on deck 5, 6 or 7 we will be near the front of the ship. Does it matter if you are front or back or midway?

There is a $100 difference per family for category 8 over category 9. Is it worth it?

Barb--thanks for the great site! It's the first one we visited when we decided to cruise. We know you prefer the back of the ship. All of the category 8's are in the front of the ship and we can't swing 3 balcony cabins. Would you go for a category 8 deck 5, 6, 7 (front of ship) or a category 9 deck 2?

Thanks so much for all your quick replies...you all are so helpful!!:) :)

we stayed in cat 9 , stateroom #2114 in October....Very quiet aft stateroom that we found to be convenient to get to most venues on the ship...

We have stayed on Deck 2 and Deck 1 and Deck 8 on our 6 DCL cruises.

Obviously the Cat 4's on deck 8 with the verandas are our favorites, but Deck 1 and 2 were very nice indeed. I also thought that being so far down would be a problem and it was just the opposite. Getting on and off the ship for shore exursions was a breeze compared to the higher decks.

As long as you can secure a cabin not on Dave's noisy list, don't hesitate about staying on Deck 2. We found it very convenient. Once you walk out your cabin door, all the hallways look bascially identical.....don't let the lower deck bother you!!!! It was really great!!! We love having natural light come in, that's why I don't think we would ever choose an inside for us.

MJ

Ooops....We got your secret portholes! When I booked on board a month ago, we got the last 2 for the March 13, 2004 sailing. They were the ones we were in on that cruise and we loved them! Keep calling back to see if any of the others have opened up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter