Please help my wife pack for Tuscay in September!!

StevePSU1

Lookin for my lost shaker of salt..
She is really stressed about trying to pack light. Her big question is whether or not shorts are appropriate attire. Rick Steve's indicates that shorts are basically for the seashore areas. ABD brochure encourages shorts.

We do know that you need appropriate coverings for cathedrals/churches. Any other attire tips would be appreciated!! We are doing ToT departing 9/24.

I'm with your wife - stressed on how to pack light! We are doing the Viva Italia trip in Sept plus extra European stops. I have heard that shorts are definitely American garb - not bad, just different. I plan on packing capris to cover the knees for the church visits plus being comfortable. It's the tops (blouses) that I can't get a handle on: one sweatshirt/pullover sweater, some t-shirts and long sleeve blouses???
Sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully someone that has 'done' the tour will chime in.

DH and I spent 2 weeks in Italy year before last touring most of the country. I never saw anyone except Americans in shorts, tennis shoes or capris and they really stood out as the exception except along the Amalfi coast where we did see more casual clothing but I still don't recall anyone but Americans in shorts there either. The few Italians I saw in jeans were young women wearing very pricey jeans with boots and nice jackets with scarves (we were there in October).

DH and I both only took slack types of pants, short sleeved tops with 2 sweaters that could be worn on cooler days and then a heavier dress jacket for cooler temps. Except for our days in Milan, the temps were warmer than I had expected; Florence was beautiful weather just right with slacks and short sleeved shirts and Rome was extremely warm.

I never saw anyone except Americans in shorts, tennis shoes or capris and they really stood out as the exception except along the Amalfi coast where we did see more casual clothing but I still don't recall anyone but Americans in shorts there either.

I agree - just today I was on the train to Paris and saw North Americans in short shorts, skimpy tank tops and flip flops, which is definitely not an outfit most Europeans would wear in cities.

Fashion varies widely but some of the popular summer wear is body concious polo shirts for women, A-line skirts with dressier t-shirts or knit tops, and cropped pants for both men and women. Shoes are either leather or euro-chique style athletic shoes ('runners' etc are only worn for sporting pursuits, as are shorts)

Bare shoulders and bare thighs/knees are not permitted in many places of worship and are frowned open in other areas. I did see this week people turned away in a cathedral based on their attire.

The reality is that you won't be taken for a local whatever you choose to wear, but do consider the customs of the country you are visiting. Italian women tend to dress much more formally than North American women (as do many Europeans in cities) but skirts, scarves, and costume jewelry are an easy and light way to do so.

Edited to add that I read the Adventures by Disney packing list once as someone asked for my input, and frankly I was very surprised at what they suggested for the German and Italian tours. Some of the items are not appropriate as I noted above, and others may be too warm, or just out of place. I think that it was Pakey who asked about crocs last year and I said that ultimately one had to decide for oneself what to wear, as one will never look like a local. But I would deviate from that packing list if I ever took one of those trips.

We are going on the Viva Italia September 14th. I am only bringing 2 pairs of shorts. These I am planning to wear in Tuscany when we are walking around the resort and such. We are planning to bike around a bit too. But my main garb will be capris and a couple of skirts. My capris are the longer ones that come mid-thigh. I am going to throw my tennis shoes in my suitcase. But right now I plan on wearing walking sandals. I am breaking in a pair of Merrils and Keens right now and they seem great. But I have never done a lot of waking with sandals. So I am going to take the tennis shoes just in case. I'm trying to convince myself not to be too awful concerned about how I look. Comfort has got to be first for me.

Really what I am going to wear is pretty simple. It is DH that I am worried about. If it is too awful hot, I will feel really sorry for him in his jeans and khakis. He is going to bring shorts and we may just have to look like tourists occasionally.

For shoes I love Italian Geox and have about a dozen pairs; my sister prefers French Mephisto. We both agree on Clarks, however, and they have many comfortable but fashionable shoes in their Privo line.

I was thinking of this thread today; a Sunday in August in Paris means mostly tourists on the streets and few locals. The attire did range quite a bit; the most out of place was a couple in short shorts and oversized t-shirts, and jogging shoes, with giant backpacks who quite literally ran up to a museum to join the queue. They did look out of place, I have to say.

(I was in a linen Aline skirt, fitted tshirt, cardigan, and Geox ballet flats today, which was a fairly common outfit amongst various European women)

We are going on the Viva Italia September 14th. I am only bringing 2 pairs of shorts. These I am planning to wear in Tuscany when we are walking around the resort and such. We are planning to bike around a bit too. But my main garb will be capris and a couple of skirts. My capris are the longer ones that come mid-thigh. I am going to throw my tennis shoes in my suitcase. But right now I plan on wearing walking sandals. I am breaking in a pair of Merrils and Keens right now and they seem great. But I have never done a lot of waking with sandals. So I am going to take the tennis shoes just in case. I'm trying to convince myself not to be too awful concerned about how I look. Comfort has got to be first for me.

Really what I am going to wear is pretty simple. It is DH that I am worried about. If it is too awful hot, I will feel really sorry for him in his jeans and khakis. He is going to bring shorts and we may just have to look like tourists occasionally.

Hi Eva,
On our June Viva Italia, it was very hot; however, I took several mid-calf capris, one peasant style skirt, and one other skirt for the trip. I also took sleeveless tops, and short sleeve blouses. I washed several of these for reuse. The only time I needed long sleeves for anything was for the airplane. I, too, wore Merrill walking sandals for the entire adventure. They were great! Like you, I decided to go with comfort, even though the Italians do love strappy sandals. No matter what you decide on, you are going to love this trip!

Steve's Wife Here....

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my concerns about the dress! Your input is greatly appreciated and I will take your advice over what was on the recommended packing list from Disney!

Hi Eva,
On our June Viva Italia, it was very hot; however, I took several mid-calf capris, one peasant style skirt, and one other skirt for the trip. I also took sleeveless tops, and short sleeve blouses. I washed several of these for reuse. The only time I needed long sleeves for anything was for the airplane. I, too, wore Merrill walking sandals for the entire adventure. They were great! Like you, I decided to go with comfort, even though the Italians do love strappy sandals. No matter what you decide on, you are going to love this trip!

Thanks for reaffirming my plan. I am really thinking about getting another pair of Merrill's and leaving the Keens at home. The Keens are great and I wore them to the MK in April when it rained. But they are really heavy. The Merrill's are so light and comfy. Plus they don't look half bad with capris. I think that I will bring one pair of dressier sandals for evening. We bought concert tickets for the second night in Rome. So I might need a bit dressier attire that night. But since the concert is outdoors at the "Area Archeologica Del Teatro Di Marcello", I figured I can get away with a light skirt and dressy sandals. Oh, I can't believe it is only 25 days till we leave! :woohoo:

Any thoughts on the tunic-style tops that are so popular right now? Are they a global trend, or is it confined to the US? I just bought a few of them and love how comfortable they are but I'm afraid they'll really stick out over there.

I'm not sure what you mean by tunic style, but there are a wide range of styles wore in Europe. Some of the common ones are scoop necks, crossed over the chest, fitted T-shirts (sorry, I don't what to call them, but I mean the nicely finished shirts one would wear under a suit jacket, not the type of t-shirt one would buy at WDW for instance). Fitted polo shirts from Lacoste and other brands are also popular with women as well as men.

It is HOT right now in Italy - 32 degrees and humid where I am . I still vote for light a-line skirts, cropped pants (not the American ice cream cone style capri pants, but straight leg cropped pants are common here on men and women), nice short sleeved shirts (woven is cooler than knit), sleeker sporting shoes (like Geox or Puma), or nicer sporty type sandals.

The look of tshirt, capri pants, baseball cap, giant rucksack, and large white shoes is still common over here, and I am not critiquing it, just saying that it will stand out more. It is interesting for me to walk around tourist sites and be vitually ignored by the hawkers and scam artists, yet see obviously American tourists be approached and engaged. Remember too that Americans tend to be very friendly, and sometimes that can make you more of a target. You can avoid eye contact or say 'no' if you sense that someone is trying to scam you or sell you something or refer you to a tourist trap restaurant, etc.

Remember too that Americans tend to be very friendly, and sometimes that can make you more of a target. You can avoid eye contact or say 'no' if you sense that someone is trying to scam you or sell you something or refer you to a tourist trap restaurant, etc.

Very good advice, thanks bavaria. I for one cannot afford to change my wardrobe 'to blend in' so I'll be wearing my American clothes and avoiding eye contact will be essential.

This whole 'spotting' the culture thing is true though. :3dglasses I know when we're at Disney World it's quite easy to differentiate cultures based on style of clothing. It's become a game with us. Not in a sneering way but just to see if we can globally place someone by their attire.

From what I can gather from the other posts just try and bring clothes that will make you comfortable. You are going to be known as a tourist anyway so think about your comfort. Be aware however the rules for the churches and plan ahead. My wife is primarily bringing capris and she will be wearing simple blouses and shirts. We are both going to bring our most comfortable shoes be it sneakers or dress shoes. Your on vacation so be comfortable. Why be miserable in clothes that are just to impress. We are also leaving from Boston on 9/24. Hope to see you on the trip.:banana: :cool1:

This whole 'spotting' the culture thing is true though. :3dglasses I know when we're at Disney World it's quite easy to differentiate cultures based on style of clothing. It's become a game with us. Not in a sneering way but just to see if we can globally place someone by their attire.
The CMs at DLRP play this game; they rarely place me correctly though! I often wear a coat from the UK, a French or German scarf, American trouser jeans, Italian shoes, and a French bag when I am there; that really confuses them.

I was at EuropaPark (German Disneyworld) this spring, and one morning wore my scarf tied in the German fashion. Most people spoke to me in German. In the afternoon, I tied it in the French fashion and most people addressed me in French! ;) (The park is right on the border of the two countries)

I did once have a screener at FRA address me as if I were an American; when I asked her why, she pointed to my shoes (a pair of Naturalizer loafers which I had forgot to change after a walk around the lake) and said 'I can recognize Americans from their shoes' :)

Of course, I travel so much and have clothes, handbags, shoes and accessories from so many countries that it really doesn't hold true for me. But I would definitely say that I am more European in dress than North American.

Shorts were absolutely no problem on our Viva trip (just returned) - and it was incredibly hot. However, you need to wear capris or a skirt - cover your knees - on the day in Rome when you go to the Vatican, and on the day in Venice when you can go into St. Mark's, and any other day you want to go into a church.

My advice is not to worry about packing light, bring whatever you want. I packed very light and was a little sorry, as it was hot and I didn't have a change of clothes for evening. Although people stayed casual, many changed for dinner, wearing skirts, nicer tops, etc., and I would have liked to have done so as well. Disney does a great job of taking your luggage from place to place - you won't have to touch it during the trip - so bring what you like to make you happy (keeping airline issues in mind).

Shorts were absolutely no problem on our Viva trip (just returned) - and it was incredibly hot. However, you need to wear capris or a skirt - cover your knees - on the day in Rome when you go to the Vatican, and on the day in Venice when you can go into St. Mark's, and any other day you want to go into a church.

My advice is not to worry about packing light, bring whatever you want. I packed very light and was a little sorry, as it was hot and I didn't have a change of clothes for evening. Although people stayed casual, many changed for dinner, wearing skirts, nicer tops, etc., and I would have liked to have done so as well. Disney does a great job of taking your luggage from place to place - you won't have to touch it during the trip - so bring what you like to make you happy (keeping airline issues in mind).

Thanks for the update. Did you have a good time?

Did you notice if anyone had more than 2 big bags? We are going to be in Europe for 3 weeks and the idea of paring down to one checked bag for each of us is kind of nightmarish. ;)

Just be careful if you are planning on taking 2 bags and will be travelling on your own. I find it much more difficult to navigate with my luggage in Europe because things are narrower, there are more cobblestones, fewer ramps, etc. Also remember that if you are travelling intra-Europe most airlines have a 20kg or 44lb checked bag limit. Trains have limited space for luggage at the end of the carriage. Cars are smaller and have less trunk space than in America.

For instance in Paris my metro station only has stairs, so I have to carry my suitcase up and down to the platform. The metro is often packed, so I can barely get space for myself let alone my suitcase.

One other comment about footwear - I really wonder how people manage in flip flops in Europe as we have so many cobblestoned streets still and even my 'real' shoes sometimes cause me to trip, and walking on cobblestones makes the feet hurt more quickly than walking on pavement.

Just be careful if you are planning on taking 2 bags and will be travelling on your own. I find it much more difficult to navigate with my luggage in Europe because things are narrower, there are more cobblestones, fewer ramps, etc. Also remember that if you are travelling intra-Europe most airlines have a 20kg or 44lb checked bag limit. Trains have limited space for luggage at the end of the carriage. Cars are smaller and have less trunk space than in America.

Oh thanks bavaria. I'm so glad you are answering our European travel questions.
We will be traveling by train from Venice to Zurich so I will heed your advice.
So you're saying we can leave the states with 50 lbs per checked bag but going back west (from Amsterdam for us) it needs to be 44lb?

We had a truly magnificent time. We didn't do any travel on our own, though, and really did pack light, so I can't say how it would have been with more luggage - just that I wished I had more clean clothes! I did bring detergent and washed things out, but the hotels really didn't have many places to hang them. I even pulled on one cord in a shower, thinking it would extend into a clothes line, only to have the hotel phone me and say it was an emergency cord to call for help!

Also, the hotel in Tuscany usually had a laundry service but it was closed during August (as were some restaurants, etc., but that didn't pose a problem since the guides knew where to send us anyway).

Again, we had an amazing time. I'm sure you will too. There is a great deal of magic in this product, it made a huge difference. People in our group who had done other tours commented frequently on how truly special the Disney difference was.

Oh thanks bavaria. I'm so glad you are answering our European travel questions.
We will be traveling by train from Venice to Zurich so I will heed your advice.
So you're saying we can leave the states with 50 lbs per checked bag but going back west (from Amsterdam for us) it needs to be 44lb?

check with your carrier - if you are flying intra-Europe without an onward connection, the limits are very strict. If you DO have an onward connection longhaul, the rules of the longhaul portion may apply for the first flight (ie if you are flying from Zurich to Amsterdam, and onwards to America, your carrier may allow you to take 50lbs the entire way. But if you are for instance flying SWISS ZRH-AMS and then a different carrier on to America, SWISS may limit your bags and their limit is 20kb or 44lbs) It all depends on the carrier, the way it was ticketed, and any interline agreements. I have had Lufthansa charge me overweight before even when I was flying onwards on Lufthansa longhaul and even though I am top tier elite. It can happen.

If you are taking the train, there is a small luggage area at the end of most carriages. This is shared with all passengers and there may not be a lot of space available; just be aware that if are one of the last to board, you may be heaving your bags up very high in that area, or even searching for space (and there won't be much above your seat, just for your handbag etc)

Based on the 'tunic' question, I watched women all morning for this thread. ;) I realized that the question was most likely in regards to the type of knit shirt with gathers at the neckline or other neckline which then flows away from the body? (I thought at first woven tunics like those found in Asia) Yes, the knit ones are still popular here, as are cap sleeves, gathered or pleated necklines, scoop necklines, etc.

I agree about the washing - if you can plan to wash a few things out in the sink it helps (I actually do laundry every day or so in the sink) But some hotels don't have 'real' hangers, or much space to dry things, so if you are only overnighting be careful or you will be packing wet underwear in your suitcase the next morning! :rotfl:

On a side note, based on the question which started this thread, this morning I was driving past the Vatican and noticed large tour groups (so of course I watched to find some answers) I was amazed at how many women were going into the queues for the basilica wearing shorts, tank tops, or short mini skirts. Apparently their tour guides didn't advise them that they would be turned away? Hopefully they had scarves to cover their shoulders and sarongs to wear as skirts in their backpacks. I actually saw this at two different basilicas I passed today, and as I noted I also saw people turned away at a cathedral in Germany last week due to the attire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter