Please Pete!

I posted this in the dedicated thread about DME going away in the news forum:

There is a full 7 step process that Disney adheres to:

1. Disney removes something previously free
2. People grumble
3. Disney announces a new amazing service that largely just replaces the old free one but sounds newer, fresher, fancier that carries a cost
4. People are excited
5. People realize they are now paying extra for something they were getting for free
6. Disney announces a new cupcake/magic band color/plush collection/etc
7. people forget about why they were mad in the first place
So very true --
Free parking at resorts
End of EMH (but at least that was replaced with something arguably better for some)
End of Magical express

Not to mention the "ticket perks" that were removed -- like no-expiration tickets, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised with the end of free WiFi coming next. I cannot imagine them ever ditching free transportation to the parks (that would be insane).

So very true --
Free parking at resorts
End of EMH (but at least that was replaced with something arguably better for some)
End of Magical express

Not to mention the "ticket perks" that were removed -- like no-expiration tickets, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised with the end of free WiFi coming next. I cannot imagine them ever ditching free transportation to the parks (that would be insane).

I can't see them ending free wifi just with how much they are pushing people to use their phones .... but maybe they add in "resort fees" part of which is to cover the use of the "genie app"

after all, resort fees are "industry standard" which they are pushing so much now as reasoning for extra charges

I cannot imagine them ever ditching free transportation to the parks (that would be insane).
I have a friend that is a casual WDW visitor that read a FB thread last night of people complaining that the "free Disney buses" were going away. People were up in arms believing that had done away with the park buses, getting it confused with DME. I corrected my friend, but obviously its created some level of confusion among people who don't post here and stay apprised of all the changes like all of us... which would be most Disney visitors.

I can't see them ending free wifi just with how much they are pushing people to use their phones .... but maybe they add in "resort fees" part of which is to cover the use of the "genie app"

after all, resort fees are "industry standard" which they are pushing so much now as reasoning for extra charges
That is the main issue I have had with all the changes. Leaning on "industry standards" to take away magical "perks" to just return them with fees. Just how they ended "free" magic bands because "everyone has a phone".

So .. yes .. not many high-end hotels have free wifi, so I wouldn't doubt they would do that .. just like they ditched "free parking" and a free shuttle from the airport. I mean a lot more people today have "unlimited data" compared to even just a few years ago.

I mean .. even their blog post basically said "Oh . .because there are things like Ubers and Lyfts out there, we don't need to spend money on this bus service anymore"

I mean .. "industry standards" isn't something you should lower your current standards to achieve.

Hopefully once financial things stabilize they will go back to offering more service and not just lowering their service to "industry standards". - Edit -- but I have my doubts as this trend was happening BEFORE the pandemic.

Last edited:
I don't think this will push many to travel outside of the Disney bubble for meals. Maybe only the meals as they drive to or from the airport. A small percentage might go with that in mind as an option, but once they get there and realize that it's too inconvenient to go to your car and leave property, they'll just eat at the parks or hotel anyway.

In the last 5-7 years, it’s become SO EASY to get offsite without a car. You can uber or lift from a disney park or hotel to most places for $20. If you WANT to go, you’re gonna go.

MDE never made money. It’s literally impossible to make money on something that has no income. It was a worthy loss leader up to a decade ago, but as information became more easily available (blogs, vlogs, twitter, Facebook, podcasts); people realised more and more what was just at the edge of their fingertips. MDE used to guarantee 90% of the people on it never left property. Over the past 5-7 years as that number has dwindled, it’s usefulness has waned.

now can we skip to step 3 please?

I don't think this will push many to travel outside of the Disney bubble for meals. Maybe only the meals as they drive to or from the airport. A small percentage might go with that in mind as an option, but once they get there and realize that it's too inconvenient to go to your car and leave property, they'll just eat at the parks or hotel anyway.

I don't think too many people who would still stay on property but now have a rental car would go off property for food (at least not very often, maybe if they want to check something specific out)

I just think taking this away (and other perks) now will push more people to staying off property - and when you are off property you are more likely to use your dining $ at non-Disney locations

In the last 5-7 years, it’s become SO EASY to get offsite without a car. You can uber or lift from a disney park or hotel to most places for $20. If you WANT to go, you’re gonna go.

MDE never made money. It’s literally impossible to make money on something that has no income. It was a worthy loss leader up to a decade ago, but as information became more easily available (blogs, vlogs, twitter, Facebook, podcasts); people realised more and more what was just at the edge of their fingertips. MDE used to guarantee 90% of the people on it never left property. Over the past 5-7 years as that number has dwindled, it’s usefulness has waned.

now can we skip to step 3 please?

I don't disagree that it isn't having the impact it used to ... but I will say if you ahve small kids that require car seats it is NOT "so easy" to go offsite. Even if you trust using Uber of Lyft it is hard to get one with a car seat and nearly impossible with multiple car seats

I think that demographic is realy, really impacted by this move. So easy to come down and not have to worry about car seats and things like that - just get on the bus and then you are on property

I don't disagree that it isn't having the impact it used to ... but I will say if you ahve small kids that require car seats it is NOT "so easy" to go offsite. Even if you trust using Uber of Lyft it is hard to get one with a car seat and nearly impossible with multiple car seats

I think that demographic is realy, really impacted by this move. So easy to come down and not have to worry about car seats and things like that - just get on the bus and then you are on property

It was having a kid that necessitated we rent a car anywhere we go specifically so we can have our own car seat. We bring an FAA approved seat for the plane and then use it in the car. Our vacation car seat is actually the permanent one in my car now since we rarely use it for family trips anywhere.

To my earlier point- if you use minnievans instead, and make them barely more expensive than lyfts, you could end up with a small army of polka dot cars all over orlando. Get a minnie van as soon as you get to the airport and when that takes you, just you and your family, to your hotel faster than the DME’s typically do (I know it’s occasionally fast, but usually it isn’t); and all of a sudden you have a great impression of them, and are more likely to use them during the rest of your trip.

the two biggest negatives with the minnie vans were the cost, and that they never left the bubble unless you were going to MCO. Time to try fixing that before giving up on them for good.

It was having a kid that necessitated we rent a car anywhere we go specifically so we can have our own car seat. We bring an FAA approved seat for the plane and then use it in the car. Our vacation car seat is actually the permanent one in my car now since we rarely use it for family trips anywhere.

That is what we did - though we needed 3 car seats. Getting them through security and just dealing with them during the travel (and everything else associated with traveling with 3 kids) was always, um, not fun

What I could envision happening are people who opt to rent a car now taking full advantage of having that car - perhaps that means a trip to Universal, Sea World, or other Orlando attractions. Which would mean dining off-property potentially. Or perhaps that means a stop for groceries before going to your Disney resort which means less food you need to purchase on-site.

I know for us, we always utilized DME and rarely would go off-site during our trips. Now that we'll need to arrange alternate transportation anyway, its making us think about where we could do a split stay in Orlando to enjoy some of the other things the area has to offer.

Kevin's remark was spot on regarding how guests visited WDW before ME. I think it is a great service that provides a much needed method to transport guests to the resorts. However, I am old enough to remember when it didn't exist and the onus was on our family to make arrangements.

I would say 75% of our visits to WDW growing up was driving or the auto-train (which was wonderful) so transportation from MCO to WDW didn't apply much.

Kevin's remark was spot on regarding how guests visited WDW before ME. I think it is a great service that provides a much needed method to transport guests to the resorts. However, I am old enough to remember when it didn't exist and the onus was on our family to make arrangements.
It is a good point, and people travel all over the place having to make their own airport transfers - Universal included. It doesn't stop people from doing what they want to do. People will still visit and stay on site. I think the bigger gripe people have is that a big perk we used to receive for staying on-site is now gone with nothing to replace it (yet) and without the cost being lowered to be reflective of the value loss.

Just because it’s no longer ‘free’ - doesn’t mean it’s not an option...from what I understand, Mears still plans on running the bus service from the airport to the Disney resorts - they’ll just start charging for it -

I just think taking this away (and other perks) now will push more people to staying off property - and when you are off property you are more likely to use your dining $ at non-Disney locations

And Disney knows this. Something will be announced soon to try to keep folks in the bubble. Hotel occupancy is huge for Disney's bottom line as we know. They don't want to mess with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter