Please Pete!

And Disney knows this. Something will be announced soon to try to keep folks in the bubble. Hotel occupancy is huge for Disney's bottom line as we know. They don't want to mess with that.

I definitely think we should have some patience and see what fills this gap - I just see so many people commenting that one reason they vacation to WDW so often is due to the ease of getting there, and DME was a large part of that (especially people with small kids) - like you said, Disney knows this ... so I have to think *something* replaces it, even if it is a different set up with an additional charge (lot of people said they would be fine paying for it, it was the ease they most appreciated)

but obviously this hasnt' been stated definitely yet so reactions (including my own) are based only on what has been formally communicated, that DME is ending. If it ends with that, nothing to replace it, I think fair to criticize Disney for it

It is a good point, and people travel all over the place having to make their own airport transfers - Universal included. It doesn't stop people from doing what they want to do. People will still visit and stay on site. I think the bigger gripe people have is that a big perk we used to receive for staying on-site is now gone with nothing to replace it (yet) and without the cost being lowered to be reflective of the value loss.

I think we (guests) have been conditioned to expect these perks to not only stay, but increase to further entice us to do business with WDW.

I get the sense there will be a stop-gap measure that will supplement the removal of ME. I had read that there could be an option of Mears providing some transportation from MCO to WDW, but would be a paid service. Of course, I don't know if that is merely a rumor or has teeth.

I think we (guests) have been conditioned to expect these perks to not only stay, but increase to further entice us to do business with WDW.

100% agree - and also makes it easier to accept the prices Disney charges (particularly for people traveling on a tighter budget). I've seen some estimates for what a transport via Uber or a private car would cast and depending on # of people, if you need car seats, etc. you are looking at $40-$100 each way.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Disney will not be reducing the cost of hotel rooms to help compensate for that extra cost.

100% agree - and also makes it easier to accept the prices Disney charges (particularly for people traveling on a tighter budget). I've seen some estimates for what a transport via Uber or a private car would cast and depending on # of people, if you need car seats, etc. you are looking at $40-$100 each way.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Disney will not be reducing the cost of hotel rooms to help compensate for that extra cost.

Until Perk Wars becomes mainstream again, I feel that a trip to WDW has been altered to an acceptance (not saying I agree with it). I guess the question I have is what other perks are on the chopping block? And then the optimistic side of me asks what perks could be added in the future to gain revenue?

If those estimates for travel via Uber/private are accurate, it is a substantial amount that would effect my budget (likely hit the dining part).

I get the sense there will be a stop-gap measure that will supplement the removal of ME. I had read that there could be an option of Mears providing some transportation from MCO to WDW, but would be a paid service. Of course, I don't know if that is merely a rumor or has teeth.
I think Disney anticipates the stop-gap being the Brightline rail system that will (eventually) have a station at Disney Springs. Perhaps they will further partner with the rail station somehow to provide more frequent or separate transfers from Disney Springs to resort hotels for guests arriving via the rail and for those with luggage in tow. Perhaps luggage delivery in some form would even resume at that point - you never needed to physically be on the DME bus in order to have luggage delivered to the room.

Absolutely correct, and I think that is what is causing the emotional response to the loss of DME. Not having the airport transfer is no doubt an inconvenience, but its something that can be worked around and managed. Its more the loss of a benefit that was helping to justify the value of an already expensive on-site stay for many. Since WDW will not be lowering room prices, we're paying the same but getting a lesser product, which stings for most of us.

If Disney were offering DME for $30 per ride for the past 15+ years, and then they announced they'd no longer be offering it as an option, people wouldn't be half as peeved.

Absolutely correct, and I think that is what is causing the emotional response to the loss of DME. Not having the airport transfer is no doubt an inconvenience, but its something that can be worked around and managed. Its more the loss of a benefit that was helping to justify the value of an already expensive on-site stay for many. Since WDW will not be lowering room prices, we're paying the same but getting a lesser product, which stings for most of us.

If Disney were offering DME for $30 per ride for the past 15+ years, and then they announced they'd no longer be offering it as an option, people wouldn't be half as peeved.

for some it is definitely the cost - and especially when on a budget/staying at a value, an extra ~$100 is pretty significant relative to the cost of the room you were paying for

For others though the convenience was the big thing - particularly people with kids who didn't have to worry about bringing car seats or arranging for a car that has car seats, people not used to / not trusting of Uber or Lyft - that 'trust" Disney. People feel that element is gone and it just really adds complications and uncertainty to a trip to WDW that hasn't been there since 2005

Can all of that be overcome? Sure, but it defintiely doesn't motivate people to come to WDW more than prior to this announcement

I think Disney anticipates the stop-gap being the Brightline rail system that will (eventually) have a station at Disney Springs. Perhaps they will further partner with the rail station somehow to provide more frequent or separate transfers from Disney Springs to resort hotels for guests arriving via the rail and for those with luggage in tow. Perhaps luggage delivery in some form would even resume at that point - you never needed to physically be on the DME bus in order to have luggage delivered to the room.

I am really not sure how much Brightline is factoring into this. The Disney Springs station is suggested to be open in 2023 - and that is if things progress as best as they can, I have seen others propose 2024 or even 2025 has more realistic

DME is ending effective 1/1/22 - so that is, best cast ~18 months prior to the train coming on line

Now, long term that could play a role (especially if they start charging for a DME-like options - so use the trian and get picked up via hotel shuttle from the Disney Spring Station or for an upcharge use our direct transfer option) but starting 1/1/22 I think they need something else in place - even if it comes at a cost, but something Disney branded/approved

for some it is definitely the cost - and especially when on a budget/staying at a value, an extra ~$100 is pretty significant relative to the cost of the room you were paying for
True, but I think the rail will be have a lesser cost per person that will hopefully be a more economical option.

Can all of that be overcome? Sure, but it defintiely doesn't motivate people to come to WDW more than prior to this announcement
Definitely agree! Regardless of the intricacies of this announcement and the alternatives available, the announcement now is still an interesting move given that one would think they'd be wanting to entice people to stay on-site more than ever. They need that revenue.

I am really not sure how much Brightline is factoring into this. The Disney Springs station is suggested to be open in 2023 - and that is if things progress as best as they can, I have seen others propose 2024 or even 2025 has more realistic

DME is ending effective 1/1/22 - so that is, best cast ~18 months prior to the train coming on line

Now, long term that could play a role (especially if they start charging for a DME-like options - so use the trian and get picked up via hotel shuttle from the Disney Spring Station or for an upcharge use our direct transfer option) but starting 1/1/22 I think they need something else in place - even if it comes at a cost, but something Disney branded/approved
Kevin referenced Brighline in yesterday's podcast as a factor for this in the rumors he'd been hearing. There will definitely be an 18+ month gap where either guests will be on their own or a temporary thing will be put in place, but I think that speaks more to the unfortunate timing of the ending of the Mears contract compared to when the rail will be completed. Its possible WDW and Mears tried to work out a contract extension to cover that period, but I imagine it wasn't going to be cost effective for Disney when they're trying to cut costs however they can. I also imagine Mears wanted to raise prices, which is par for the course for most businesses affected by the pandemic. All speculation on my part but having worked in sourcing before, this would be typical.

It's a pretty clear message. Disney is not "catering" to or trying to woo a value/budget traveler. Sure, there are options with the value resorts, etc....but overall, they need to recover big time and make a huge profit once Covid abates. I also think there's a plan in place that hasn't been announced yet (in addition to this train). Disney does nothing for free. I think the bus option will remain but there will be a charge.

It's a pretty clear message. Disney is not "catering" to or trying to woo a value/budget traveler. Sure, there are options with the value resorts, etc....but overall, they need to recover big time and make a huge profit once Covid abates. I also think there's a plan in place that hasn't been announced yet (in addition to this train). Disney does nothing for free. I think the bus option will remain but there will be a charge.

This is my thought as well. They know they are eliminating MDE and are making the announcement now so no one that is planning for 2022 counts on it. At the same time they don't know what they are replacing MDE with, if anything, so they aren't making that announcement yet.

I think it will be an a la carte transportation option that will let you choose transportation and luggage transfer or just luggage transfer at a cost. We will see. No one knows what the world will look like in May let alone January 2022 so they likely don't want to commit yet.

But I think the mind set of everyone is sheer exhaustion of being told no, having things being taken away from them this year, just another "you can't do that" issue. people are so done and have had enough we are broken down mentally and tired. and then we say nothing will ever be the same again each time something like this happens

But I think the mind set of everyone is sheer exhaustion of being told no, having things being taken away from them this year, just another "you can't do that" issue. people are so done and have had enough we are broken down mentally and tired. and then we say nothing will ever be the same again each time something like this happens

that's a good point - with everything going on and vacations/a trip to Disney *should* be viewed as a positive ... all these things being taken away (even if ont heir own they aren't that big of a deal) sort of feel like kicking us when we are down - vs wanting Disney to be something that lifts us up

that's a good point - with everything going on and vacations/a trip to Disney *should* be viewed as a positive ... all these things being taken away (even if ont heir own they aren't that big of a deal) sort of feel like kicking us when we are down - vs wanting Disney to be something that lifts us up
Exactly. That is the main reason I have scheduled, and now cancelled a trip next week. I am not concerned for safety from the virus (we are planning on doing a more local vacation to Myrtle Beach), but with all the things taken away (either for cost cutting or for safety) and the wearing of masks and long snaking lines due to social distancing -- ehh. Just not a priority. The magic is not there (for the time/costs).

So I am sure tons of people are staying away for either safety reasons (despite Disney's best efforts) or for the restrictions and closed attractions/things. So it seems odd they would announce publicly about these things are going away. Shouldn't their marketing be focused on things that are coming back and when?

I get the ME thing -- they don't want people making plans for 2022 and be relying on ME, but why announce EMH is going away? Why announce certain shows going away "permanently" .. Why take away free magic bands .. etc. etc. Definitely feels like "kicking us when we're down."

Last edited:
I also think this is a big concern for international travelers. I would feel comfortable renting a car in Florida and my car insurance would cover me as well as extra protection from my credit card.

However, when I went to London a couple of years ago I didn't even consider renting a car to avoid liability, navigating different traffic patterns, etc. I would imagine those coming here, the same is true in reverse. They may feel comfortable driving in other parts of Europe, but less so here in the US because of insurance coverage, etc.

The reduction of hours coupled with the axing of EMH is too much for my wife and I. Imagine it, no night in World Showcase past 7pm? Magic Kingdom closed at 6pm? DAK 5pm? This amounts to literally no night-time enjoyment of the parks at all. It's just silly.

We will definitely not be renewing our APs and will use the money for other vacation destinations. Disney has been losing it's appeal a little slice year after year after year and now it has simply gotten to the point of being not remotely worth the money with these changes. This time, you've really blown it Disney.

The reduction of hours coupled with the axing of EMH is too much for my wife and I. Imagine it, no night in World Showcase past 7pm? Magic Kingdom closed at 6pm? DAK 5pm? This amounts to literally no night-time enjoyment of the parks at all. It's just silly.

We will definitely not be renewing our APs and will use the money for other vacation destinations. Disney has been losing it's appeal a little slice year after year after year and now it has simply gotten to the point of being not remotely worth the money with these changes. This time, you've really blown it Disney.
Reduction of hours also means MK fireworks (if and when they do return) could end up only being part of an after hours paid ticket event!

I think there is a certain trade-off involved here. I do think that something else will be offered with the airport transportation issue, however a lot of us have been complaining about how crowded the parks have been for the past 5-8 years or so. If the trade-off here is that I have to arrange my own transportation to my hotel from MCO but I experience lower crowds at the parks for a while that is a trade off that I am ok with right now.

I wonder if the contract with MEARS already had to be drastically reduced because I believe they already were contacted with Disney for college program transportation. That was probably a big chunk of the work they had. Now there is no restart date for college program and international program. Also when it does start back up it will be in a new location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter