Please Put Your Arms Down, There are Kids Behind You

Except that you're not supposed to have any part of your body outside the ride vehicle.
View attachment 334079

There's a sign like this at every ride, it's posted in each park's guide, and there's usually a safety message that says the same thing that's broadcast before you ride. Raising hands on roller coasters has been popular for ages, but it doesn't mean it's technically allowed. It's kind of like the rule about no flash photography on rides- it's posted, but people still do it.
I’ve never tried sitting calmly holding hands on a coaster. I’m gonna give that a try next trip :rotfl2:

I have ride photos where I'm sneezing, where I happened to be scratching my nose at the moment, where I'm looking away from the camera, where I'm making a super dumb face. We have photos where a single rider joined our odd-numbered group so there's some random person we don't know in our pictures. We've scanned our magic bands on the wrong photo without realizing it until it's too late. There's a decades-old picture of my sister and I on a ride where she is inexplicably covering one of her ears, and it's hilarious.

They're just photos. Sometimes they don't turn out. Actually, most of the time our ride photos don't turn out very well. That's just how it is! That's why we always take photos of each other at the ride entrance and/or exit so we have a memory of that time together.

Just wanted to give newbie parents to Disney World (like I was) a heads up. A don't- make-this-mistake-like-I-did warning.

I'm back home from Disney downloading photos from Memory Maker / Photo Pass. Aside from the slight inconvenience of sifting thru Jedi Training images to find my kids and deleting the others, I've discovered something that sifting won't fix.

My six and eight year olds are blocked in the images on 7DMT ,ToT and slightly on Splash Mountain because people have their arms raised high during the snapping of the ride photo.

Ugh, I was so disappointed. Unfortunately, my family is not one of those families that goes to Disney multiple times, allowing the moment to be captured on another trip. That moment, although paid for, is forever missed.

Naturally, no one can dictate the behavior of others in the park, but parents, if actually seeing your child in the photo that you spent a lot of money getting is important to you, ask to be seated in the front. I wish I had been made aware. You live and learn.

Yes, I do realize that some people have their arms up, not realizing a photo is being taken. But for the people who frequent the parks, could you please take into account that there might be a child behind you whose parents want a picture of their child on the ride. Thanks. I'm not writing to ruffle any feathers, so please don't take it as such. I just don't want other parents to be disappointed. I want them to make an informed choice for their family, if ride photos are an important part of their Disney experience.

I still had a great time in Disney!

Seriously???

How about, enjoy the moment rather than stress so much about a photo?

Everyone paid. Everyone wants to enjoy the ride.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve exited a ride and a newbie family excitedly rushes to the monitors to see the photo but that excitement turns into disappointment when they realize the adult in front of them has blocked the face of one of their children with their raised hands. Once it was me and I felt terrible.

A little consideration goes a long way.

I have been doing this for a while: I simply keep my hands down when the photo is taken. It’s really not difficult once you know where the cameras are and those of us who go a lot know exactly where the photos are taken. Have your hands up high before the photo, down during the photo and then back up high and proud. Your ride experience is altered only slightly and the family behind you has the opportounity to bring home a photographic memory. Those photos don’t mean a lot to me, but they do to some families.
I'd lose street cred if any of my ACE friends saw a ride photo with my hands down :(. Although I'd probably lose more by looking like I enjoyed 7DMT :duck:.

I have a picture on ToT where there was a ~6 year kid from the UK, he got the whole car to put their hands up for the drop. You can just barely see the side of his face because of the hands, but he had a huge smile on it ;). Ride photos are great but it is the experience that matters, even as a 6'1" adult, probably less than 50% of my ride photos turnout to be anything worthwhile, and Disney even put a border right across my daughters face on PoC, oh well.

I did just got back and look at all of my on ride photos on 7DMT and I am not blocking anyone in any of them, in either direction. There were a few I could've blocked a kid in the head on photo if my hands had been a slightly different spot, but the angles are pretty good a 7DMT. In the future I will try to remember to ride on the far side.

Last edited:

In case you are not aware, Disney will let you ride again if there is something blocking your picture. When DH and I rode RnRC, this was years ago, the pictures have changed since then. Anyway, We get off and I have a raging headache and feel nauseous. Not a good ride for me AT ALL. We purchased the picture, because that was what we did back then. The CM takes it off the printer and says " Oh no! Your forehead is covered up by the bottom of the R, if you want to ride again, just go through that door."

My husband lit up, I just looked at him with my pale face, queasy stomach and raging headache and said to the lady: " We can live with the bottom corner of the letter R covering his forehead. Thanks for the offer, but I'm not riding that ride ever again. UGH"

Bottom line, they want you to buy the pictures. They put you right back on the ride if you tell them you want a better picture.

I'd lose street cred if any of my ACE friends saw a ride photo with my hands down :(. Although I'd probably lose more by looking like I enjoyed 7DMT :duck:.

I have a picture on ToT where there was a ~6 year kid from the UK, he got the whole car to put their hands up for the drop. You can just barely see the side of his face because of the hands, but he had a huge smile on it ;). Ride photos are great but it is the experience that matters, even as a 6'1" adult, probably less than 50% of my ride photos turnout to be anything worthwhile, and Disney even put a border right across my daughters face on PoC, oh well.

I did just got back and look at all of my on ride photos on 7DMT and I am not blocking anyone in any of them, in either direction. There were a few I could've blocked a kid in the head on photo if my hands had been a slightly different spot, but the angles are pretty good a 7DMT. In the future I will try to remember to ride on the far side.
Glad I'm not alone in that. It's like a mighty mouse ride going down a bumpy road. I didn't book a FP for 7DMT this trip and nobody seems to have noticed, LOL.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve exited a ride and a newbie family excitedly rushes to the monitors to see the photo but that excitement turns into disappointment when they realize the adult in front of them has blocked the face of one of their children with their raised hands. Once it was me and I felt terrible.

A little consideration goes a long way.

I have been doing this for a while: I simply keep my hands down when the photo is taken. It’s really not difficult once you know where the cameras are and those of us who go a lot know exactly where the photos are taken. Have your hands up high before the photo, down during the photo and then back up high and proud. Your ride experience is altered only slightly and the family behind you has the opportounity to bring home a photographic memory. Those photos don’t mean a lot to me, but they do to some families.

So we are all to know when the photo is being taken? So we can do the wave? That's pretty impractical to expect.

Except that you're not supposed to have any part of your body outside the ride vehicle.
View attachment 334079

There's a sign like this at every ride, it's posted in each park's guide, and there's usually a safety message that says the same thing that's broadcast before you ride. Raising hands on roller coasters has been popular for ages, but it doesn't mean it's technically allowed. It's kind of like the rule about no flash photography on rides- it's posted, but people still do it.

Oh wow. That's just a bit of a stretch...No pun intended

Give me a break. Are photos so important now that they come before the actual experience that is being photographed? A big part of roller coaster riding for many people is putting hands up during the ride. Don't tell people not to do that in order to get your children's perfect ride photo. Ride photos are supposed to be candid, and therefore, they will be imperfect. If you've got to have a clear view of the kids in every ride pic, you'll need to ask the CMs to let them to wait for the front row every time. That seems silly to me, but that is your only solution, not telling other people to not fully enjoy & experience the coasters. They all paid for their Disney vacations, too.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but you worded it better than I could have. Having the actual experience--the fun and joy--is what the vacation should be about. A photograph is nice, but you don't give up a positive experience to have a picture.

That's how I feel about fireworks, too. It's fine to hold your phone up to your chest to quick snap a shot, but as soon as you hold it up over your head, you're blocking people's view and causing a light disturbance that interrupts people's enjoyment of the fireworks show. It's fine to want a picture. It's not fine to ruin people's experience.

Looking through our photo pass today and there was a little girl in front of me on Frozen whose face was blocked by the Mickey ears the person in front of her was wearing. It’s kind of a crap shoot not matter what on some rides.
Picture 187.jpg
Wdamvc2

Yep, and it happens even if people's arms are down. My husband and I are in red. Our two children are in between us... not that you can really tell! The people in front of us didn't do anything, but they still accidentally blocked our kids. It happens.

Me and DS (7) love doing something different on each ride when we know there are pictures. We wore eye patches & bandannas for Splash once, fake mustaches on Everest, funny glasses on Space, and a ton of other things. The only thing I think you could "recommend" another patron not do on a ride where there is a picture is ask them not to do a lewd hand gesture or flash the camera b/c a cast member will delete the pic immediately and the other people on your ride won't get their pic. Actually I have one pic where the cast member missed a man grabbing his female companions chest on ToT. I'd find it at post it but it's a family friendly site here. But you can't recommend someone not enjoy their experience the way they want within the rules. It's like asking people not to walk within the view of you getting a picture in front of the Castle b/c you don't want their stroller in the side of your picture.

I kind of get where OP is coming from. I accidentally blocked a kid one time when I was on a ride and I felt SO bad about it. So now, I usually keep my hands down unless it's a ride that has a well angled photo, like Space Mountain. Yes, I want to have fun, but is keeping my hands down really going to affect my ride experience? No.

No need to be so hostile, dangggggg. :cool:

It is definitely possible to block someone on mine train. Usually the second angle picks them up though.

I do think about how we are going to sit as a family unit to try and prevent the kids from being blocked. Ex - We will put both kids on the same side if riding two and two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter