Please Put Your Arms Down, There are Kids Behind You

The adult is standing, but one of his arms is definitely raised in the air above his head and not off the side of the ride vehicle. You may not get in trouble for doing it, but raising your hands in the air over your head is NOT keeping your hands inside the ride vehicle, which is the rule. Last time we went, they wouldn't let BTM or SM leave the loading zone until people put their hands down.
One arm is raised, but the other is outside the vehicle.

Wow the hostility.

OP, I see both sides here. My kid is completely blocked on both FEA pictures. Not sure why anyone needs to put their arms up on that ride!

I would never ask people to ride a certain way, but it does get annoying. Unfortunately, I find ride photos to be a crapshoot most of the time.

The adult is standing, but one of his arms is definitely raised in the air above his head and not off the side of the ride vehicle. You may not get in trouble for doing it, but raising your hands in the air over your head is NOT keeping your hands inside the ride vehicle, which is the rule. Last time we went, they wouldn't let BTM or SM leave the loading zone until people put their hands down.

What? LOL That hasn't been our experience at all. We've never once had them stop the ride. When we rode SDMT, my boys were in the very front and the CM encouraged them to raise their hands! "Get ready! (as she held both of her hands above her head.)

One arm is raised, but the other is outside the vehicle.

Yes. He's also standing and leaning to the side. The kid had both an arm and a leg outside the vehicle. That doesn't mean someone has to be doing literally everything depicted all at the same time for it to not be allowed. Compare that crossed out pic with the one next to it where people are sitting with all their body parts inside the vehicle. No raised hands there.

What? LOL That hasn't been our experience at all. We've never once had them stop the ride. When we rode SDMT, my boys were in the very front and the CM encouraged them to raise their hands! "Get ready! (as she held both of her hands above her head.)

They didn't stop the ride in the middle or anything. They just wouldn't let us leave the loading zone.

Frankly, I don't really care if other people raise their hands. As others have stated, kids can be blocked in pics just by the seat or a tall person not raising their hands. I was simply sharing what I witnessed the last trip, as well as the signs and safety messages. I think raising hands on rides has been such a popular trend for so long that people just assume it's allowed since no one ever gets in trouble for doing it. The signs and safety messages indicate otherwise.

I just wanted to add that the moment isn't forever missed. It was at most 2 minutes of a vacation not caught on film. I'm sure your family will have memories of the trip that will last forever regardless of a picture. I'm glad you were able to experience WDW and hope your trip was magical.

We will not be lowering our arms on such rides because the ride experience takes precedence over the ride photo. You are not entitled to a decent ride photo just because you spent $169-$199 on Memory Maker. I spent $169 on Memory Maker for our WDW trip and some of the ride photos turned out not that great. That’s just the luck of the draw sometimes.

If it’s that important for one’s family, then ask to be placed in the front most ride vehicle. And even then you might end up with a weird looking picture.

But asking to ride again right away because your photo turned out not to your satisfaction? That’s not going to work. You can try, but you will likely be disappointed. If you want another ride, then get in line with everybody else at the back of the queue.

If the ride photo is important, then ask to be seated in the front row of your car. And you can be checking those photos on the app as you go so you know if you need to get back in line to try again.

Except that you're not supposed to have any part of your body outside the ride vehicle.
View attachment 334079

There's a sign like this at every ride, it's posted in each park's guide, and there's usually a safety message that says the same thing that's broadcast before you ride. Raising hands on roller coasters has been popular for ages, but it doesn't mean it's technically allowed. It's kind of like the rule about no flash photography on rides- it's posted, but people still do it.

We're really going to the extreme here now, aren't we?

31914460.jpg

Am I the only one who does not obsess over pictures? There are even trips that we never even take pictures, just enjoy the moment. When the kids were younger we would actually laugh at the ones that you could not see them, kind of like a Mike Wazowski thing. LOL Just have fun with photoshop and paste another picture of them where their head should be. :P

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve exited a ride and a newbie family excitedly rushes to the monitors to see the photo but that excitement turns into disappointment when they realize the adult in front of them has blocked the face of one of their children with their raised hands. Once it was me and I felt terrible.

A little consideration goes a long way.

I have been doing this for a while: I simply keep my hands down when the photo is taken. It’s really not difficult once you know where the cameras are and those of us who go a lot know exactly where the photos are taken. Have your hands up high before the photo, down during the photo and then back up high and proud. Your ride experience is altered only slightly and the family behind you has the opportounity to bring home a photographic memory. Those photos don’t mean a lot to me, but they do to some families.

Except that you're not supposed to have any part of your body outside the ride vehicle.
View attachment 334079

There's a sign like this at every ride, it's posted in each park's guide, and there's usually a safety message that says the same thing that's broadcast before you ride. Raising hands on roller coasters has been popular for ages, but it doesn't mean it's technically allowed. It's kind of like the rule about no flash photography on rides- it's posted, but people still do it.
And all this time I thought that sign meant no dancing

even as adults we have this problem

if there is a ride photo - i always ask to be in the front row - yes, we may have to wait a little longer, but we don't mind

I'm not calling you a liar but I don't see how they were blocked. Here we are in the very back car and there is no way the people in front of us could have blocked any of us with raised hands.
Oh those faces of the girls are priceless.
And I think that is what OP is getting at-I get it. We like to ride with hands raised but pull down before photo taken-we usually pose for the picture now.
On our last Mine train photo my eldest sat in front of my son-she has very long hair and it lowed behind her and some of the pictures have his face covered by the hair-it is hilarious-he looks like cousin Itt:rotfl:

I'm not calling you a liar but I don't see how they were blocked. Here we are in the very back car and there is no way the people in front of us could have blocked any of us with raised hands.

Your girls are adorable!

I could see a larger person in the position of the woman in white block a small child in the position of your husband. I also see that your husband is not extending his hands all the way so he doesn’t block you.

Looking through our photo pass today and there was a little girl in front of me on Frozen whose face was blocked by the Mickey ears the person in front of her was wearing. It’s kind of a crap shoot not matter what on some rides.

Awesome! Were you trying to not block your wife and kids? Everyone else has their arms extended all the way up while your are somewhat crooked and lower.
I think I was looking at my littlest one. She was 3 in that pic. Here is another one from 2016 when she was 2 with her then 5 year old sister. people had their hands up in front of us but i don't see how they could get their hands back far enough to block our faces. Now my older girl almost did block little sis! My wife was coastered out so I took both girls and let them ride together.

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7878749667.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter