Poll: When do you think Europe will open again?

When will Europe open again to US travelers?

• In 2020

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Winter 2021

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Spring 2021

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Summer 2021

Votes: 65 53.7%
  • Not until 2022

Votes: 22 18.2%

• Total voters

Anna Chassereau

DIS Veteran
I know none of us have a crystal ball but just wondering what others opinions are...when do you think Europe may open again for travel from the US? And do you think a negative Covid test will be required to visit?

I said summer 2021, I think that we should have a more available vaccine by then, and I think more places (not just Europe) will open back up to Americans, and I think more places will ease restrictions, etc.

I was optimistic and said Spring. Yes, I think a negative covid test will be needed until a vaccine is widely available.

I have a college junior who really wanted to do a semester abroad in Austria...her application is in for the spring (after deferring it from the fall), but I really don't think it'll happen, and she won't be able to go senior year due to classes she has to take on campus that year...oh well...maybe things will be good enough by May to do some summer semester abroad thing. Sigh.

I think Europe will need to open up again for Europeans first 😂 Borders shut all over the shop with big spike in cases everywhere . Here in the central Scotland we had new restrictions announced today, advising against travel outside our regional areas, never mind travelling out the country. Tomorrow we would have been travelling to New York for a few days before DCL Bermuda cruise on Monday, so very bittersweet.
I think it will be spring before Europe opens up again as cases are going in the wrong direction already and thats before winter sets in. My thinking is next summer for Americans. Sorry to dash hopes, I hope I’m proven wrong.

Is it actually closed? I've been back and forward between the U.S. and Europe this summer, and it looks like I will have to again in December (I have dual citizenship). The airplane wasn't full, but definitely not empty either (and it still flies every day). I know that the U.S. actually blocked none-Americans from Europe from coming in and the airlines won't allow them on the airplane, but I haven't heard how Europeans block Americans.

Is it actually closed? I've been back and forward between the U.S. and Europe this summer, and it looks like I will have to again in December (I have dual citizenship). The airplane wasn't full, but definitely not empty either (and it still flies every day). I know that the U.S. actually blocked none-Americans from Europe from coming in and the airlines won't allow them on the airplane, but I haven't heard how Europeans block Americans.
Yes, many countries (including all in the EU) have banned US citizens. If you have dual citizenship, you're exempt from that ban. I believe there are some other exemptions like military, etc. And some non EU countries will allow US citizens with a 2 week quarantine upon arrival.

At the moment Irish people are only allowed to travel to 4 countries
  • Cyprus
  • Finland
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
If you travel to Ireland from USA you have to do a 14 day quarantine. Ireland is currently in Level 3 restrictions, which means that travel outside our county is not advised and there are Police checkpoints on the roads.

There are still flights to America from Ireland but only to New York, Chicago and Boston.

During the summer many Americans still came to Ireland and didn't do the 14 day quarantine. Many hotels and restaurants in the tourist areas refused American tourists. It is the law that face coverings are worn in shops and on public transport. When some American tourists in the summer were asked to wear a face covering they refused as "they are American and we have rights"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...thousand-welcomes-unless-youre-american-covid

Some restaurants and hotels have started turning away US visitors in case they infect staff and other customers with coronavirus, a concern fuelled by surging infection rates in some US states and Ireland’s lax quarantine enforcement.

“It’s never a good business model to turn away visitors but this isn’t about business,” said Noel Keane, a chef who recently barred two groups of Americans from Croí restaurant in Tralee, County Kerry. “From a moral point of view, it’s the right thing to do.”

The would-be diners admitted they had not self-isolated for 14 days after entering Ireland, compelling a rebuff, said Keane. “I said no. There was no malice. It’s certainly not an anti-American sentiment.”

Other businesses have followed suit, some openly, others discreetly.

JP McMahon, a chef and owner of Cava Bodega in Galway, started questioning tourists and turning away those that admitted violating quarantine after his staff felt “uncomfortable” serving a group from Texas.

The Kings Head pub in Galway and Gregan’s Castle Hotel in County Clare tweeted that they, too, had turned away Americans just off the plane.

The Charleville Lodge in Dublin said that it was banning American tourists – even those seeking to quarantine in the hotel: “The government has advised that overseas guests must ‘stay in your hotel or guesthouse’, which means the government is happy to put my staff at risk by being in contact with these guests. This is not self-isolation.”

Some Americans who phone hotels are told there is no availability, said Guy Serbin, who runs a Facebook group for US expatriates in Ireland. “Then, when their Irish spouse calls, there are rooms.”

Last edited:
Unless you quarantine for 2 weeks, there‘s very few places you can travel to. We had more options in July and early August with travel corridors ( we managed to squeeze in a week’s holiday to Iceland😎) but since then most countries in Europe require quarantine either on entry and if not there, then certainly on return. Also different quarantine rules within the UK depending on which of the 4 nations you live in. We are not looking to travel now until summer 2021....

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread, probably based on the perception of posters own situations vs the reality.

Travel continues around much of Europe, with few restrictions. I can vouch for that. And there are Americans travelling in Europe, as several countries do allow them entry. I can vouch for that as well. (And there are many, many more Canadians than usual or they stand out more right now, as Canada is welcomed to much of Europe)

For any American looking to travel to Europe, there is a thread on Flyertalk.com Coronavirus and Travel forum which outlines the various countries and how people are gaining entry and able to travel. The RKI site also has a daily update of restrictions or risk areas for Germany.

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ...ebiete_07102020_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
The reality is that borders cannot stay closed forever. Germany has opened to Canada for a long time, but also did not lift the travel warning to Canada (they did lift it for much of rest of world) because Canada still requires 14 day quarantine, and will not allow entry to Germans under most conditions.

And while flights are of course very reduced. every single one that I have flown in the last six weeks has been fully booked. Lufthansa is managing loads well and adding more routes and destinations daily.

At the moment Irish people are only allowed to travel to 4 countries
  • Cyprus
  • Finland
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
Germany does not ban entry to all Irish travellers. Current status:

Irland – die folgenden Regionen gelten derzeit als Risikogebiete:

• Region Dublin (seit 23. September)
  • Region Border (seit 30. September)

Germany does not ban entry to all Irish travellers. Current status:

Irland – die folgenden Regionen gelten derzeit als Risikogebiete:

• Region Dublin (seit 23. September)
  • Region Border (seit 30. September)

but again, Caribbean or Germany, makes no difference, its the Irish Government Travel Advice which stops me travelling to ANY country except those on the green list. If I travel to Germany, my travel and medical insurance will be void.

This is the same reason my mom has not been able to see my sister who lives in England. The UK Government does not require a 14 day quarantine for people arriving from Ireland BUT the Irish Government advise against travel to UK

Right, but a travel advice is different than an entry ban. An entry ban does not permit one to enter a country except in certain circumstances; a travel advice leaves the decision to the individual traveller. And many of us have been travelling all along. There is also travel medical insurance now which covers COVID even during raised travel warnings, for those who feel it may be preferable.

Right, but a travel advice is different than an entry ban. An entry ban does not permit one to enter a country except in certain circumstances; a travel advice leaves the decision to the individual traveller. And many of us have been travelling all along. There is also travel medical insurance now which covers COVID even during raised travel warnings, for those who feel it may be preferable.

thats great for you, but when my Government is advising against non essential travel off the island and the travel insurance I have paid for will be voided, I will follow Government advice. I have no interest in loop holes and getting around things in the middle of a world wide pandemic. Tourist travel is luxury and a privilege and until the Irish Government change the advice, I will not travel.

The only way myself or my mother would travel out of Ireland and go against the Irish Government advice would be for a genuine emergency concerning my sister or her family.

And that's your personal choice. But personal choice vs government rules are different. It's important to differentiate so that people know which restrictions apply.

I've travelled for decades to countries under travel warnings, including the highest levels. And that was my personal choice.

Yes, many countries (including all in the EU) have banned US citizens. If you have dual citizenship, you're exempt from that ban. I believe there are some other exemptions like military, etc. And some non EU countries will allow US citizens with a 2 week quarantine upon arrival.

Somehow, the celebrities still seem to be able to make it into the EU without restrictions.

I think it will be summer. That being said I think if Europe isn’t open by early spring DCL will cancel the Europe season

Uggghhhh... say it aint so... but sadly you're right.
Europe needs to be open by Spring otherwise no DCL sailings in 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter