Poll: When do you think Europe will open again?

When will Europe open again to US travelers?

• In 2020

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Winter 2021

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Spring 2021

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Summer 2021

Votes: 65 53.7%
  • Not until 2022

Votes: 22 18.2%

• Total voters
I don't understand why Europe and the US don't just do what China is doing? They have eliminated the virus and have 0 cases and 0 deaths. If we just followed their lead, we could be back to normal in a month or two.

I don't understand why Europe and the US don't just do what China is doing? They have eliminated the virus and have 0 cases and 0 deaths. If we just followed their lead, we could be back to normal in a month or two.

"Europe" is not one entity, the EU alone is 26 countries, then add in all the non EU counties. Every country has its own Covid 19 plan. Come join us on https://www.disboards.com/threads/covid-and-the-rest-of-us.3808745/ where you will get updates about Ireland, Netherlands and other countries.

I would not believe anything coming out of China.

I can understand feeling that way (although it looks better than the US), but there's also S. Korea, Taiwan, and I think Japan who are all doing a great job. I don't think they are hiding anything. I think we should look at Korea and Taiwan, personally, but I'm not in charge of things. :)

Based on recent trends, the outbreak in western Europe, both in terms of "cases" per capita and deaths per capita, is somewhat worse than in the US.

For the past 7 days, deaths in the UK/Western Europe (France, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland) have totaled 11,777, or about 3.54 per 100 thousand residents.

For the past 7 days, deaths in the US have totaled 6,847, or about 2.06 per 100 thousand residents.

That means that Europe is running 72% worse than the US right now.

So, travel restrictions or no travel restrictions, this virus seems to be making the rounds. Its a small world after all.

I can understand feeling that way (although it looks better than the US), but there's also S. Korea, Taiwan, and I think Japan who are all doing a great job. I don't think they are hiding anything. I think we should look at Korea and Taiwan, personally, but I'm not in charge of things. :)
Those are small countries. We are a large country with 50 states controlled by their own governors and legislature.

Those are small countries. We are a large country with 50 states controlled by their own governors and legislature.
Your first statement doesn't really matter. But to add, these countries may be 'small', the density is much higher.
Your second statement is more the issue, the USA are not 1 country in this case, but are 50 countries, who are judged as 1 country. Why it will take longer for Europe to allow the USA in, is because we will not make a difference between states. It will not happen that we will say 'Texas/Florida/California cannot get in, but Hawaii can'.

In this case, the US is as strong as it's weakest link.

The lack of central control is part of the problem, but as another poster said, our density is very low, so we should be doing better, not worse. And the numbers, adjusted for size, show that we aren't. It's not worth arguing about it since neither of us can fix it though. I would love to travel, but don't see it happening in the near future. And after having to scramble to find a way to get my DD out of Europe during the shutdown, I'm not willing to book anything until things have calmed down.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread, probably based on the perception of posters own situations vs the reality.

Travel continues around much of Europe, with few restrictions. I can vouch for that. And there are Americans travelling in Europe, as several countries do allow them entry. I can vouch for that as well. (And there are many, many more Canadians than usual or they stand out more right now, as Canada is welcomed to much of Europe)

For any American looking to travel to Europe, there is a thread on Flyertalk.com Coronavirus and Travel forum which outlines the various countries and how people are gaining entry and able to travel. The RKI site also has a daily update of restrictions or risk areas for Germany.

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ...ebiete_07102020_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
The reality is that borders cannot stay closed forever. Germany has opened to Canada for a long time, but also did not lift the travel warning to Canada (they did lift it for much of rest of world) because Canada still requires 14 day quarantine, and will not allow entry to Germans under most conditions.

And while flights are of course very reduced. every single one that I have flown in the last six weeks has been fully booked. Lufthansa is managing loads well and adding more routes and destinations daily.

the bigger question for americans and anyone for that matter, isn't whether you're allowed to travel internationally right now, but whether you want to be caught in a foreign country when you're sick and possibly need hospitalization.
The second part of that question, is whether you can obtain travel health insurance at a reasonable rate at present.
Once there is a vaccine, all of this will be behind us.
But for now, until there is a vaccine available to you, whether you CAN travel internationally or not isn't the question.
It's whether you should.

We are booked on the transatlantic from Florida to Barcelona in early May. Disney just extended the date by which we need to pay and also allows more time to cancel and get a full refund, I’m hoping we go but I’m certainly not looking into air until march of 2021 when our payment is due. I would certainly get a test and a vaccine if that’s what is required.

The opening of Europe and other areas that are closed to foreign visitors really depends on a vaccine and how well it protects populations. Assuming that a working vaccine roll-out starts in Dec or Jan and it proceeds well with very limited side effects we may begin to see heard immunity by late spring next year.

We are booked on the transatlantic from Florida to Barcelona in early May. Disney just extended the date by which we need to pay and also allows more time to cancel and get a full refund, I’m hoping we go but I’m certainly not looking into air until march of 2021 when our payment is due. I would certainly get a test and a vaccine if that’s what is required.
Don't count on your Transatlantic sailing with passengers at this point, as the CDC is not allowing cruise lines to sell cruises out of or to US ports that are longer than 7 days. ***ETA: Our October 28, 2021 Transatlantic on Odyssey of the Seas is not available to book - although it hasn't been cancelled...yet.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/top...ls-all-cruises-over-7-days-will-royal-follow/
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/top...8-day-cruises-that-visit-us-ports-thru-11121/

Last edited:
If Disney anticipates the Europe cruises sailing in 2021 is it likely the Magic will stay in Dover (or around the area) until her scheduled Europe sailings?

I have no idea when cruises will start to sail from US ports. If the Magic sails from the US at all in the first half of 2021, I suspect it will have a short Caribbean season.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter