Pooh sized passengers to pay more on SWA

CarolMN

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
According to this story released by Reuters, SWA said that:

"Starting next Wednesday, its "people of size" policy will require passengers who need seat-belt extensions or cannot lower the arm rests on their seats to purchase two seats if they are flying on a plane near or at capacity".

Apparently this policy has been in effect for sometime, "but it will be more strictly enforced starting next week."

Here's the link to the complete article for those who may be interested:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/020619/airlines_southwest_size_1.html

I sat next to a Pooh sized person last year coming home from WDW and it was very uncomfortable. I remember at the time thinking that they should have made him purchase two seats. It doesn't seem fair to pay full price for a seat and ending up sharing half of it with a stranger!

I can totally see both sides of this! It is unfortunate that the airlines can't come up with some other way. While I am uncomfortable "sharing my seat" with a stranger, I do not agree with TWO FULL PRICE FARES! JMHO!

Kamy :)

I have had more than one arguement with a fellow pax over this issue. I was seated next to a guy who had to have weighed in at over 400 lbs. I refused to put the armrest up, and told him to "Deal with it, you paid for your seat, not your seat and half of mine". He was very nasty about it, and called the FA, who backed me up. He ended up standing most of the flight, because he couldn't fit into the seat. But his obesity is not my problem.

I have several friends who are larger people. They always buy first class seats in order to accomodate themselves. They don't have unreasonable expectations that they are going to be able to shove their 400 lb butt into a seat that's 18" wide. They also have the COURTESY not to expect the person sitting next to them to give up half their seat.

Anne

I am pooh sized, but not offended by this. Fortunately I fit into one seat, but if I took up more space than that, I should have to pay for it. Airlines are, in fact, a business.

I don't think that seatbelt extenders should be a factor. People carry their weight differently, and needing an extender does not necessarily mean needing additional seat space.

I do think that fellow passengers should try to be a little more understanding. Most people would be mortified by not fitting into a seat...they don't need the disdain of fellow travelers.

I'm a size 22-24 woman and I need extenders on some flights due to the very small length of the belts and on other flights I don't need an extender and I even have extra room.

Until they allow passengers to try out seats ahead of time, I think this is unfair but I can understand the feelings of not wanting to share your seat with a stranger.

I think that in general, the seats on most aircraft are too small and offer very little room for large people (which most of the population is now considered pooh-sized) and even for a tall person. Leg room has long been an issue for my brother and his very long legs.

My fiance and I sit together and put up the armrest. He's a big guy too. We get enough harsh comments that we don't need to be put down by an airline. We will pick a different airline than SWA.

I will not pay for 2 seats...so we won't travel with that airline.

I should have mentioned that the man I referred to in my previous post and I got off on the wrong foor to begin with. he was sitting in MY aisle seat, which I refused to give up. I am highly claustrophobic, and sitting in an aisle seat helps alleviate the panicky feeling I get. I'm the same way on a train, in a pew in a crowded church, even in a small fitting room in a department store.

At any rate, he was very angry with me because I wouldn't give him my aisle seat. He got downright abusive when I refused to put up the armrest. He was a jerk.

I certainly don't mean to degrade anyone with this post. But I also think that with any special needs also needs to be reasonable.

If you preboard with your younger kids, for crying out loud don't block the aisle while gathering your baby gear trying to get off first at your destination (this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine). Wait a few minutes for the plane to clear and get off after other pax have deplaned.

If you are a diabetic, carry some snacks and juice boxes with you in case your flight and/or food service are delayed.

And if you are a larger person, try to fly during the off-peak hours when the planes will be less full and it'll be easier to get seated with an empty seat next to you. Fly the carriers with the widest seats. And don't get upset with fellow passengers when they do'nt want to share their seat with you. If you are a 300lb. person sitting in a seat wide enough for a 300lb. person to occupy with some degree of comfort, how would you feel if a 550 lb. person sat in the seat next to you, raised the armrest, and spilled over into your seat?

Anne

Originally posted by PhotobearSam
My fiance and I sit together and put up the armrest. He's a big guy too. We get enough harsh comments that we don't need to be put down by an airline. We will pick a different airline than SWA.

I will not pay for 2 seats...so we won't travel with that airline.

With all the highly discounted plane tickets out there, why not buy three tickets between the two of you, and fly in comfort? Considering that often you can get r/t from YOW to MCO for under $200 r/t, it would seem taht splitting the difference in teh extra seat between you would be well worth it.

Anne

two seats if they are flying on a plane near or at capacity
is the key quote. If there is enough room so the large person doesn't have to sit next to another passenger there is no problem.

I assure you that with the Canadian Dollar the way it is...The extra cost of another seat is very expensive. We have thought of flying out from a US city but could not afford to do so if we had to buy 3 seats.

Some planes don't have 3 seats together... Some have 2 seats on each side of the plane and some don't even have a business class.

We are confortable with 2 seats... Very comfortable.

The price flying out of Ottawa to Orlando is up to $700 Canadian so that is out.

$200 r/t from where?
Not lately here...Prices are high.

I agree that no one should have to share their seat space with a stranger sitting next to them but what about leg space?!? There is very little leg room to begin with and I've had very long legged gentlemen sit next to me and out of necessity, their knees are well into my leg room "zone." I spent the flight even more cramped than usual as I tried to avoid banging my legs into theirs.

Should we start making them pay for 2 seats or fly another airline with more leg room?

As someone who worked for Southwest from 91-97, this policy was in effect during this time.

On full flights it was not an issue. Being that there is no assigned seating, most people would not sit next to them because of their size. So they usually had the extra room.

On full flights or during busy times - trust me - a lot of people purchased an extra seat. If you get a good deal on the airfare, who wouldn't want to fly with an extra seat? No smelly people, rude people, talkers, people with bad breath. Heck, now I might start buying an extra ticket.

Good point peg2001,

My only question is where will it end?

I don't have kids and what if I don't want to fly next to a screaming child, or someone with long legs, or foul smelling Body odour?

I personnally think that airlines are not designing seats with the customer in mind, just their bottom line. I know that they are a business and have every right to do so but where will it end?

I saw a commercial on TV about an airline that is putting in less seats on their planes to offer more leg room. Which airline is doing this? I would like to try them. Just so you know, I'm just about 5'10".

Just my $0.02 worth.

It is interesting to note, how things have changed at the airlines.... The 757, 737 and 727 all have a cabin width that was the same as a 707.. There were a variety of reasons for Boeing to keep the cabin diameter the same, but it was really to keep the tooling costs down. Now, when the 707 was first designed it was set up with 5 across seating, in what we call now, coach.. This translated into wider seats and aisles.... Ah, the glory days of commercial aviation. This was at the same time that the airlines all had lounges set up in their planes. Of course 150.00 r/t airfares to Florida from Chicago were unheard of then.. ;) :) In 1960s dollars that would have been what about 25.00 r/t?

AA states they have fewer seats and that may be true, but, the leg room feels the same to me. I have always felt that SWA has the widest seats out there and the leg room has always been ok for Dee and I. When I fly Delta, we ask for the exit aisle for the extra leg room. Go figure. Dee is 6'1" and I am 5'7" (size 12 so seat room is not an issue) but have super long legs, so leg room is important to me.
Personally, I think this is a great rule to follow or apply, it will promote the comfort for all passengers.

Okay, folks. I feel the need to inject a little reminder to play nice.

Discussing the issue is fine, but everyone please remember to be respectful of each other and don't resort to insulting statements or name calling.

Thanks. :D

I am sorry if what I said was mis-interpretted as being offensive or insulting. I was directing my comments to no one person in particular, However, I do not think it is fair to blame the airline if a person is unable to fit into one seat. I think it is nice that SWA is allowing the people an option to buy an addition seat at the last minute at their discounted fare..

This is a complicated issue which will only hurt SWA's image. I agree that no one wants to share a seat with a perfect stranger. But I also think it is, in essence, discrimination.

It is true that the airlines are a business, but really, two full fares? There has to be a better way. I'll admit it; I don't have an answer.

As to the size of coach seats, let's get real. I'm an average size guy and coach seats are small. Maybe the airlines should realize that people are larger than they were 30-40 years ago.

Oh, well...that was me venting. :mad:

Can two really thin people split the cost of one seat?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter