Pooh sized passengers to pay more on SWA

I am also very torn on this issue. As it is, unless you're in first class, you're going to be crammed on an airplane. This is why I hate flying. Now, if someone's size warrants a need for 2 seats on a full flight, I think it is perfectly fine to charge them additionally. I don't think this should be done when plenty of empty seats are around...then it's merely a matter of leaving some space around for those who may need it. But, my question is this....when you make a reservation, are you now going to be forced to give up your height/weight stats for a phone/internet reservationist to determine your "bulkiness", or will you just be humiliated when you go to board & are told "you're too large". I don't think people should have to undergo humiliation over this, but I also see some validity in the extra charge (again, on a capacity flight only).

Diznyqt
The new policy is very well outlined on the SWA web site.

annie2871,
IMHO, you should not have to move if that person lights up if you were there first. I would ask them to move. BTW, I don't smoke in restaurants, I hate smoke around my food. :)

Is there REALLY that many folks that are too big for the airplane seats? I think a lot of folks are overweight but not 2 bums wide.
I would guess that 1 and 1/4 adult bums could fit in the seat. Yes, people are shaped differently, some people carry it all in front and their posterior is really only 1/2 bum wide. This really has to do with the width of bum and hips in the sitting position, in most cases anyway, and not all overweight people will qualify for this special seating.
I don't have a problem the policy, it seems fair enough.
I sat next to a very large woman on my last flight. Out of being (overly?) polite I lifted the armrest between us. She smelled good, she was nice and quiet and her left hip was on my lap. I felt very cozy really. I didn't care, I felt bad for her....I was worried that she may feel embarrassed, but it was OK. Just try to be nice to other people and it will all work out.

I have a question that I still am not clear on after reading this note.
How do they decide who is "too large" for 1 seat?? I always keep the armrest down to avoid infringing on the next person's seat, but I am a large person and need the seat belt extender. So I do "fit"(or more appropriately use only 1 seat). Would I be charged to a second seat since I use the extender for my tummy?
I always get an aisle seat also so I can let the middle seat person use the armrest and I can use the one on the aisle side. I'm not sure how they decide who fits-is it needing the armrest up? If the armrest is down, but I need an extender? I can fit without the extender, but it is a tight fit.

Julfire,
This should answer the question:

A Message From Southwest Airlines
In the past 48 hours, Southwest Airlines has heard from many people regarding ongoing "news" stories about our policy that requires Customers who occupy two seats to purchase both seats. We have been truly disheartened by the inaccurate reports and the hurt and disappointment this issue has caused so many of you. We are further saddened that the sensationalism of this issue has encouraged many Americans to "take sides" or "poke fun" over a subject that we realize is very real and often uncomfortable to many people. Unfortunately, our attempt to "set the record straight" has continued to be incorrectly reported. As a result, we want to take the opportunity to respond to your questions and concerns regarding what has turned into one of the "hottest" topics during the past couple of days in a forum that hopefully will reach the most people. We value, want, and need your business, and we consider it a privilege each time you call upon our Company to serve you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a new policy?

No. Southwest has had a policy in place since 1980 that requires a Customer to purchase the number of seats he/she occupies. This is a policy that most other airlines also have.

If the policy is not new, why does it go into effect on June 26 as stated in the news?

This policy doesn’t go into effect on June 26 (it has been in effect since 1980). The only significance to the June 26 date is that is the date we expect to be fully operational systemwide with our new checkin and boarding process. As you may have heard, Southwest is doing away with our plastic boarding passes and implementing a new checkin and boarding process that involves an electronically issued paper boarding pass.

We recently began training our Employees on this new process, which allows us the capability to note on the boarding pass itself that a Customer has purchased an additional seat (whether that additional seat is needed for a large Customer, an infant traveling in a child restraint device, a musical instrument, or other items). During that training, we issued an internal document reminding our Agents of our longtime existing policy of requiring a Customer to purchase a second seat if that Customer needed a second seat for his/her safety and comfort on the aircraft. We didn’t issue a press release—someone in the media obtained a copy of the memo from one of our Employees. In fact, the only "new" procedure involving this "old" policy is that our Agents will give the Customer a document that advises of our refund policy and lists a phone number and address the Customer can contact to apply for a refund.

Why are you asking your Employees to request that a large Customer purchase an additional seat?

Our entire reason for sending our Employees the reminder is because we are expecting fuller flights this summer. When our aircraft are booked to capacity, and one Customer is occupying more than one seat, another Customer is left without the seat he/she purchased. This ultimately costs us money in denied boarding compensation and inconveniences the Customer who has been "left behind." It is certainly not safe, comfortable, or fair for a person who has purchased a ticket to be left with only a portion of a seat or no seat), nor should anyone be expected to occupy less than an entire seat. Further, it’s not safe, comfortable, or fair for the Customer who is occupying more than one seat to be placed in the situation of having someone crowded in a portion of a seat.

How much will one have to pay for the additional seat?

If the Customer is holding an advance purchase, discounted fare, the second seat will be sold at the same discounted fare. If the Customer has purchased one of our low, unrestricted full fares, the second seat will be sold at the discounted Child’s Fare.

When do I qualify to receive a refund for the additional seat purchase?

As long as the flight does not oversell (having more Customers waiting to board an aircraft than seats on the aircraft), we will refund the additional seat purchase. All Customers who have purchased an additional seat will receive a document that advises them to contact our Customer Relations Department after travel to request a refund for the additional seat purchased. In addition, if there is a possibility that the flight will oversell, the Customer will be given the option to purchase a second seat and travel on a less full flight to his/her destination without paying a penalty-fee, regardless of the fare paid. And, unlike Customers who must purchase an additional seat to place a musical item, a child restraint device for an infant, etc. and who have other "options" such as holding the infant, placing the item in an onboard stowage space or in the cargo hold, we are sensitive to fact that a large Customer has no choice but to occupy more than one seat. For that reason, this is the one instance where we will offer a refund of the additional seat purchased as long as the flight does not oversell.

Won’t this be embarrassing to the large Customer and the Employee?

Because this is not a new policy, our Employees have held this sensitive discussion with some Customers in the past. Many Customers who are of a larger size and who travel often by air purchase two seats when making their reservations because (1) the Customer knows he/she occupies more than one aircraft seat and is more comfortable in two seats and (2) the Customer wants to avoid the discussion with Employees at the airport. In fact, by making arrangements in advance, the Customer has allowed us to deplete the inventory of the second seat so that we don’t sell it to someone else. And by the Customer having purchased the seat in advance, we are less likely to oversell the flight.

What will happen if a large Customer has only purchased one seat?

We also realize that sometimes a Customer doesn’t know he/she can purchase a seat in advance and arrives at the airport holding only one ticket. In those cases, we have asked our Agents to kindly and discreetly advise the Customer of the need to purchase an additional seat for everyone’s safety and comfort onboard and to give the Customer the document advising how to obtain a refund. By taking the opportunity to educate the Customer for the next time he/she travels, we have managed the Customer’s expectations by providing consistency.

I am a large person and use a seatbelt extension, but I fit in one aircraft seat, why should I have to purchase two seats?

Our policy isn’t about a person’s weight or shape. We have no intentions of having scales, sizing templates, measuring tape, etc. That certainly isn’t a way to treat people, and we have never considered any such thing. Many Customers may use a seatbelt extension but occupy only one seat. Those Customers would not be asked to pay for a second seat. We are simply asking a Customer who must lift the armrest in order to sit in the aircraft seat and who, at that point, is obviously occupying a portion (or all) of the seat next to him/her, to pay for the additional seat being occupied. Again, we will offer a refund if the flight does not oversell.

For further details please, oh please, access the site. Rather than going on rumor why not read the policy?

http://www.southwestair.com/about_swa/press/additional_seat.html

Gail,
Thanks for posting that.

The other thing people have overlooked is that USA Today also reported that several other airlines have quitely implmented the same policy.

I sat next to a guy with a Cello once. He always had to buy two seats. One for him and one for the Cello, it was too big for overhead and too valuable for baggage hold.

As a frequent flyer, I understand the airlines problems. The planes are FULL! I have a coworker who wound up getting "bumped" off a plane, because of this problem. (There was no way he could fasten his seatbelt).

Another interesting point that I read lately was that AA is considering droppings it's increased leg room and adding more seats back onto the plane. People keep saying they want more leg room, etc but when it comes to buying the ticket what they actually do is buy cheap!

Carol,
You are welcome. I guess when you really like a business you don't like seeing it bashed because of rumor and half facts.
Better to read it for yourself.
Interesting that the other airlines are "quietly" implementing this.
Figures they would let the other "guy" take the heat while following suit. Thanks for the info on that.

I actually remember reading a post on this board a long time ago about this subject (1 year?? 6 months??). The poster was reporting that she had bought 2 seats and had gotten a refund because the flight wasn't full. She wanted to let other people know about it so they could use the information.

I'm not Pooh sized, but I think it would be much less embarrasing to have a clerk who has been trained to deal with the situation advise about an extra seat than to get on the airplane, hoping that the seat next to you would be empty or the person in it would be nice. During a trip home from Europe last year, my DD was assigned an aisle seat. The Pooh-sized woman assigned to the middle seat asked DD to switch with her. DD said the woman looked embarrased to be asking, but DD said she didn't mind switching, so both of them would be more comfortable. When the person who had the window seat came on, she was also Pooh sized and asked DD if the armrest could stay up so she had more room. She also looked embarrased to be asking, so my DD was left with no armrests, sitting between 2 people who were both taking up part of her seat. She thought of asking the flight attendant for another seat, but she didn't want to embarrase either of the women, so she ended up very uncomfortable for the whole transatlantic flight. I'm sure the others were not comfortable either and all were embarrased to mention it. It would have been much better for everyone if the Pooh sized women had more room without having to beg for it.

Lets face it, the airlines pack us all in like Sardines to make as much money as possible...I fit in my seat, no problem, but I am 5'9 hubby is almost 6'2" and ours legs get very stiff with no leg room. Its uncomfortable no matter if you fit or not! I can see it now...u know that thing u put your bag in for carry on, to make sure it fits? I can now see a "seat" next to it where people sit down to see if they fit! This is ridiculous and demeaning to those that are larger, and it is discriminating. The seats are way too small to be comfortable, when I travel to Vegas its almost 3 and a half hours and its not a fun experience! And one of the posters above is right, on some flights the belts are a decent size and on some they are too short.

:smooth:

carib01a.gif

If the belts were an issue, I could see your point, but, they are not. It is the butt size and if you push the limits of your seat.
I totally disagree that they pack you in like sardines. And, since they are a business what is the problem with making a profit, since I expect that is why they are in business. I have made the trip to Vegas from RI, it was no big deal and it was comfortable.
I am also considered tall with very long legs and I have yet, except on Delta express, found leg room to be less than adequate. I have found someone's huge butt pushing into my body an intolerable thing. I have not made a scene, I have not berated the person but have been annoyed that my "space" was invaded. I dislike being touched by someone I do not know. I expect the majority dislikes it also. However, I made the choice to fly, come what may. We all have choices and if you choose to fly, it is obvious to me that you need to make the choice of following the guidelines. If you don't like them, don't fly. This is truly an no brainer. Apparently, SWA is not the only one following this procedure, the other carriers are following suit.
I hardly think stopping people from being uncomfortable because someone cannot fit in a seat discriminatory. I f anything it is about time to consider those being encroached upon and realizing the safety and comfort of others that fit in a seat is important too.

Here is a link to a poll on the Debate Board about seat comfort on airplanes.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=220311

I realize it is hardly representative of the population but it seems the majority of DIS members who responded to this poll do experience some discomfort or feel seats are too small on airplanes, even if they themselves fit into a seat.

It is important to me, as a large person, to NOT be making someone else uncomfortable. I will take whatever measures necessary to prevent that. If they are uncomfortable then I am uncomfortable. I know it is unfair to take paid space away from someone else. But what I sense in this thread, from a few posters, is an intense dislike for the overweight that goes beyond airline travel. :confused: I pray I am wrong.

I am a pooh sized woman, My husband and myself fly 2-3 times a
year. I always sit next to the window, we put the arm rest between us up, he keeps the one between him and the aisle passenger down. Sometimes I need an extension, sometime I don't. Since it would only be cozy for the 2 of us, not the other
passenger, would I be OK or will they still require me to buy another ticket?
I am 36 yrs old, I have been obese my whole life. I try to live as
normal a life as a thin person does, I travel, I go out, I refuse
to be discriminated against. It seems like there is alot of people
out there who thinks that it's OK to discriminate against overweight people. We are not wealthy, we save for our vacations, they are very important to us. This is extra stress that
I don't need.

Until I was in a car accident a few years ago, I was a size 2 (5'8.5" and weight of 108) - all the drugs have put my metabolism to a stand still, and now I am pooh sized. Having been both skinny and now not, I can tell you that I have always felt cramped flying. When I did a non-stop flight from LAX to Helsinki (size 2 at the time), and I was miserable in my seat, and spent half of the trip standing. Since I generally fly with my husband (no kids), I try to make sure we have enough miles to upgrade to first class, or at the very least bulk head so I can have leg room. I think it is ridiculous that the seats are so close together that I usually can't get my Powerbook fully open. Let's face it - the airline industry states that the majority of their business is from the business traveler, paying big $$$ for coach - not the fares most of us get. So to use our cheap fares as a reason to pack us in is really a cop out. I think charging for two seats is not reasonable - I would concede to a fare and a half if there is a full flight.

I don't have a problem with large/pooh sized people, I have a problem with my seat being encroached on. Like I have said before, I don't want to fly touching anyone I do not know. Personally, I think flying "cheek to cheek" with a stranger is over the edge. However, you don't have to be pooh size to encroach, you can do it as a size 2, 14, 10, or a 40 male. I am a size 12 or 14 with a 31" inseam. I am fine in the seat with the leg room. I don't feel squished. I often wonder if the shape of the plane inside gives people a distorted view of the actual size and perhaps gives some temporary adversion to enclosed places.
I don't find charging someone who needs more room that one seat can provide discrimantory or unfair, I feel it is quite fair.

Well Gail, because it does not affect your wallet, I guess you don't mind that others have to pay double, but, although I am a very skinny person, and fit very easily in my seat, I still think it unfair for SWA to single out those who are overweight and need a bit of extra room, no matter how you want to sugar coat it, it is discrimanatory and people have a right to be upset. SWA has no right to tell a person how much space they need to be comfortable, what is comfy for one person, fat or skinny, may not be the same for another. The leg room issue is another thing, there has been things all over the news about people getting blood clots from not having enough room to stretch their legs, these aren't overweight people, these are ANY people!

The wallet being affected does not change my opinion one whit.
Try to understand, I do not like paying for a seat on an aircraft that I have to share with anyone. That should not be too difficult to understand. It is not discrimination, it is for the safety and comfort of everyone. It does affect my wallet, btw, if I have paid for a seat and can only use half of it, whatever the reason.
If you took the time to read the policy on the web site you might understand it a bit better. The link is here, try it. Or, perhaps you would just prefer to make up your mind without knowing the facts.
Also, other airlines are adopting this practice. Knowing the that corporate lawyers are involved you can bet they checked out the discrimination thing rather well. I believe you will find there is none.
For the record, if I was too large to fit in one seat, you can bet I would pay for two if for nothing else my comfort. Trust me, I can afford it.
As to the bloodclots, yes, it happens, it also happens in cars, behind a desk or just sitting around at home watching endless hours of TV. It should not be rocket science to move around when you feel cramped. Stretch, move those legs, get the blood flowing.

If a person takes up two seats then they should pay for two seats. I do not want to subsidize others because they are overweight. How about the airlines charge by the pound!!! Step up to the scale and see how much you ticket is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter