• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop or All-Star Sports?

rebsie

Mouseketeer
We have five kids so we will be getting two rooms. I've stayed at both and cannot decide! We spend most of our time at the parks. Any help will be appreciated!

I personally opted for Sports because 1) I do NOT like the pictures of the room refurbs at Pop (reminds me of a rehab center somewhere) and 2) do not want to deal with construction or refurbing on my vacation (which is the biggest reason I changed from CBR - plus being gluten-free I did not feel comfortable with a pop-up food place).

Plus Sports is saving me about $200 (it would be even more if I wasn't preferred).

I personally opted for Sports because 1) I do NOT like the pictures of the room refurbs at Pop (reminds me of a rehab center somewhere) and 2) do not want to deal with construction or refurbing on my vacation (which is the biggest reason I changed from CBR - plus being gluten-free I did not feel comfortable with a pop-up food place).

Plus Sports is saving me about $200 (it would be even more if I wasn't preferred).
I didn't even think about the refurbishment going on. We have enough construction at home and I am so over it.

I prefer Sports over Pop, and my kids (ages 11 and 13) like them equally well. I think we do less walking at Sports, even in non-preferred room locations, and it feels slightly less chaotic during peak times than Pop. Only slightly, though, lol. There is also the option of hopping onto a bus for Music if one comes along and we don't feel like waiting (i.e. from the parks) - depending on what building you are in at Sports, it's a short walk over from Music. Also, I find the pools and food courts to be comparable.

I am currently debating the same thing! For my stay, first week of June, it's $160.00 more to stay at Pop.

Ok. You all have me leaning towards sports. It would save us almost $250 to stay all star. The kids have never stayed at pop. We did love the location of pop to everything but I'm not sure it is worth the extra $$. That cash can be used for souvenirs instead. :P

After our last Trip I would pick Pop. The large groups were loud at night-There were soccer & baseball teams. And I traveled with soccer teams for years. I will have to say the parents were loud,they pulled TV's into the doorways to watch sports and the kids were not supervised at all. And yes I did complain.

Kae

I'll be going to WDW for the first time ever in June, but did spend two years researching all the resorts. When DH and I decided we would definitely do a value, I watched all the Youtube videos on them to get a good feel of what they're like. I finally decided it would be a toss between Pop or All Star Sports. I like the idea that Pop has their own buses, and that Sports is the first stop for buses. What made me decide to book All Star Sports was that it has almost 1,000 less rooms than Pop. I figured at Sports we would be around less people, almost 4,000 if booked to capacity. I like people and don't mind crowds, but the idea of being at a less crowded resort is more appealing to me.

I would go for whichever ends up being cheaper, unless you want to spend any time over at AoA.

My sentiments exactly. With taking five kids to Disney every $ saved helps!

ps-you might want to price out family suite at ASMu, this way you could at least have breakfast in the room while getting ready in the morning, and maybe other meals here and there as well. Just a thought!

We chose Sports for our last two nights of our trip over POP. Even with booking preferred it was cheaper and we liked Music when we stayed there last year. So, I didn't see the need to pay more for a standard room at POP.

My sentiments exactly. With taking five kids to Disney every $ saved helps!

ps-you might want to price out family suite at ASMu, this way you could at least have breakfast in the room while getting ready in the morning, and maybe other meals here and there as well. Just a thought!
You are totally right about saving $. We can't stay in a family suite with 7 of us, it sleeps six. I can always ask though! It also cheaper to stay in two rooms, which I think is crazy. We did stay in the suite one time when we went without my youngest and totally loved it!!

Ok. You all have me leaning towards sports. It would save us almost $250 to stay all star. The kids have never stayed at pop. We did love the location of pop to everything but I'm not sure it is worth the extra $$. That cash can be used for souvenirs instead. :P
If you save $250 by choosing Sports over Pop then I definitely recommend Sports! In addition to souvenirs, the Mickey bars and other treats for the kids add up quickly. (And it also opens up the budget for pool side adult beverages if that's something you might enjoy ;) )

$250 is a good amount for sure! We have stayed at all three All Stars(Music 5 times) and Pop five times. Sports is great because when the All Stars share busses its first to be picked up and dropped off. Pop is more centrally located.

My only hesitation with the All Stars is the groups. Again we've stayed at the All Stars a total of 7 times over the last 14 years. Twice we encountered large groups. The last time swore me off the All Stars for six years it was so bad. I also love the lake at Pop, dh and I love walking and having that path around the lake and over to AoA is very nice. But we returned to Music last September and there were no groups and it was a great stay.

I am undecided about these Pop room changes. With just dh and I going it will be fine. But if our dd21 comes not so much. So with travelling with kids, Sports might be better.

I am undecided about these Pop room changes. With just dh and I going it will be fine. But if our dd21 comes not so much.
How so? Because of the new bed arrangements? Are they "officially" doing that in all the rooms? We're booked at POP this May, 1st stay there and kinda nervous. DH wants to try it, but I'll be honest, the themeing is not my cup of tea from what I've seen. I'm also a tad nervous about the construction, but as it's just rooms and not he food court or pools, I think it will be ok. people who were there recently said it was fine.

I'll have to look at the pop room changes. I think we will be doing sports. We really should save the money. Maybe I'll ask about groups in that time frame as well. Thanks for all of the input!! I really appreciate it!

Maybe I'll ask about groups in that time frame as well.
By the middle of August most,if not all,of The 15s should be gone and you will be outside of Cheer/Dance/Twirl Season and I don't think there will be any huge Sports competitions then so you should be good to go.:)

(Also,as an aside,the big groups,although not as frequently,do stay at POP at times.)

By the middle of August most,if not all,of The 15s should be gone and you will be outside of Cheer/Dance/Twirl Season and I don't think there will be any huge Sports competitions then so you should be good to go.:)

(Also,as an aside,the big groups,although not as frequently,do stay at POP at times.)
Yeah! Our dates are Aug 18-25th so I think we should be good! Thanks!

We've stayed at Sports X2, CSR and POFQ, and my kids hands down favourite is ASSp. We will be staying at WDW 1 night this summer pre-cruise, and they are insisting we stay there again. We've stayed in the Football and Tennis sections.
People make a big deal about the "shared buses", which I don't get. When we were at POFQ, the bus always made the loop over at POR before heading anywhere (except for the MK buses).
Sports is a great resort - especially if you have sports-minded kids. Save the money! You'll have a great time there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter