Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I'll try to log into our account once a week and look for red banners! Are they usually on reservation details?
Has anyone seen any Red Banners lately?
Checking flights once a week is not often enough, as once the “change” banner appears, you only have three days to make a no-change in fare online modification-that is three days from when it’s first attached to your reservation, not from when you first see it. However, if Southwest actually changed your flight, without your permission, I believe you can call, even after the three days, and they will adjust your reservation at no additional cost, subject to availability.

There has been a banner for September, October, and early November for the past couple of days, or so. The banner only may appear on certain itineraries, so each booking s/b checked by going in to the “change” feature. It will be obvious, prior to seeing available new flights.

Checking flights once a week is not often enough, as once the “change” banner appears, you only have three days to make a no-change in fare online modification-that is three days from when it’s first attached to your reservation, not from when you first see it. However, if Southwest actually changed your flight, without your permission, I believe you can call, even after the three days, and they will adjust your reservation at no additional cost, subject to availability.

There has been a banner for September, October, and early November for the past couple of days, or so. The banner only may appear on certain itineraries, so each booking s/b checked by going in to the “change” feature. It will be obvious, prior to seeing available new flights.

Thanks SO much. I didn't know we had to actually click on change! So far, so good!

I was wondering about the red banners. Do they show up when or immediately after you book? I have booked two flights in the last couple of weeks and have not yet seen a red banner.
The banners only show up if one or more of your flights have been affected. If you don't have a banner then nothing should have changed.

The banners only show up if one or more of your flights have been affected. If you don't have a banner then nothing should have changed.
That actually is not accurate. The banner can show on reservations that are not changed by Southwest, but somehow are affected by some Southwest algorithm. The current change banners I have seen have not been impacted by any changes made by Southwest, but still qualify to modify at no change in fare.

It’s not publicly known why some itineraries have the change banner, while others don’t. Speculation includes city pairs, but that’s just a guess.

That actually is not accurate. The banner can show on reservations that are not changed by Southwest, but somehow are affected by some Southwest algorithm. The current change banners I have seen have not been impacted by any changes made by Southwest, but still qualify to modify at no change in fare.

It’s not publicly known why some itineraries have the change banner, while others don’t. Speculation includes city pairs, but that’s just a guess.
I booked a July flight a couple of weeks ago and this is exactly what happened. The banner showed up within minutes of my booking and my flight was one of the options to choose from.

There’s already been a schedule change for RDU to MCO in the first 3 days of Dec: the early evening direct flight has disappeared. I’m really hoping the early morning direct flight doesn’t change.
OH NO!! We have these flights booked and I've got an itchy finger on the Delta website ready to book their 2 direct flights for our trip so SW better not change these flights we have booked:

OH NO!! We have these flights booked and I've got an itchy finger on the Delta website ready to book their 2 direct flights for our trip so SW better not change these flights we have booked:

View attachment 582108
I have those same flights for Dec. I used RR points in case I needed to switch over to Delta and this way I wouldn't lose any money. I have $600 of travel funds that will expire before I can use it and I don't want that to happen again.

@babydoll65 those are nonstop, not direct. SW either has non-stop or flights with connections for the RDU-MCO route. @Avery&Todd and I are using direct and non-stop interchangeably here.

I have those same flights for Dec. I used RR points in case I needed to switch over to Delta and this way I wouldn't lose any money. I have $600 of travel funds that will expire before I can use it and I don't want that to happen again.

@babydoll65 those are nonstop, not direct. SW either has non-stop or flights with connections for the RDU-MCO route. @Avery&Todd and I are using direct and non-stop interchangeably here.
I also booked these flights with points and have no problem cancelling them again and paying for direct/non-stop flights with Delta! In fact, I checked my Delta flights this morning and they were DOWN almost $150 for the 2 of us from when I last looked and down to the original price of when I first pondered going with Delta and not SW before they released their new schedule.

I have not seen these times for SW flights to/from MCO so I was SHOCKED when they popped up!

Is there a difference between non-stop and direct? I thought they were the same? :confused3

Sorry I guess I didn't see what you had posted just the picture which obviously is a non stop flight. I book southwest all the time and only book non stop fights I prefer not to book direct mainly because I don't feel like changing planes or having it take longer to get there. I only stated what I put because many people confused the difference between nonstop and direct.Maybe I guess you must have misunderstood what I put in my post.

Is there a difference between non-stop and direct? I thought they were the same? :confused3

Non-stop is when you go from point a to point b without stopping anywhere. Direct is when you go from point a to point b but you stop somewhere along the way and then continue on the same plane. For example if I am going from lax to mco on a direct flight, I would go from lax-dfw then dfw-mco. The plane and flight# are the same and I would just stay on the plane in dfw and continue on to mco.

Non-stop is when you go from point a to point b without stopping anywhere. Direct is when you go from point a to point b but you stop somewhere along the way and then continue on the same plane. For example if I am going from lax to mco on a direct flight, I would go from lax-dfw then dfw-mco. The plane and flight# are the same and I would just stay on the plane in dfw and continue on to mco.
Hmmm.....I guess I just thought that direct was the same as a non-stop since I'm going "directly" from point A to point B.....and I would consider a layover where I went from point A, stopped a point B and then continued over to point C...

I've honestly never been on a flight where I actually made a stop in the middle and didn't get off the plane, so I've either only taken a non-stop or a layover flight..,

OK - sounds good!

I will say I was wondering the same thing re: the difference between non-stop and direct. Good to learn there is a difference.

We were on a direct flight once then i guess and enjoyed it! We went from MCO - FLL - BUF. We liked it because at FLL we chose to move to the front row when we were allowed to change seats and were first off the plane. Kinda fun but personally I'd take non-stop over direct any opportunity I get.

THIS is the return flight that I'm HOPING SW ends up adding on our departure date....why leave at 10:20 in the morning when you can leave at 6:10pm after a day in the parks!

They are offering it on Sunday, Nov. 28th but not earlier Sunday's in the month - and it's the 2nd non-stop of the day, but perhaps it's because it's the Sunday after Thanksgiving and they assume they'll have more of a need..

I did too, but didn't understand. Because it says no hidden fees (there never are) maybe it involves a change. But, we also received one about a big sale on the 18th....

THIS is the return flight that I'm HOPING SW ends up adding on our departure date....why leave at 10:20 in the morning when you can leave at 6:10pm after a day in the parks!

View attachment 582130

They are offering it on Sunday, Nov. 28th but not earlier Sunday's in the month - and it's the 2nd non-stop of the day, but perhaps it's because it's the Sunday after Thanksgiving and they assume they'll have more of a need..

I've got kids who will have to go to school the next day; so I want the 10 am flight in case we get delayed. We do better overall if we have morning flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter