• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Price of the "extra bun" has soared!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coca Cola has a deal with Disney. I have heard this MANY times from reliable sources, seen it on t.v. specials, and had a Tour Guide that has been with the WDW company for over 30 years mention this. WDW gets ALL the non-alcoholic (and non milk) beverages for FREE. Literally, for FREE. This includes ALL the fountain soda, Dasani bottled water, Vitamin Water, etc. It. Is. All. Free. This is how Coca Cola "pays" for their sponsorship of the parks. Other corporate sponsors pay tens (and sometimes hundreds) of thousands of dollars to sponsor ONE attraction. Coca Cola gets the ENTIRE property (as well as Disneyland Resort) simply by giving Disney the product for free.

THAT just had to be said.

Back to the buns everyone.

I find it amazing of the extremes that people go to when they are on a vacation in WDW. Why not just go with the flow and accept things for what they are. Isn't Disney Exhausting enough? I'm sorry, but the only reason that people are splitting soda's and burgers is because they really did not have enough funds to go on this trip to begin with. I am by no means a rich person, but If I go on vacation I always have ample money saved so I don't need to worry about ridiculous stuff like this. If the money is not there, then I don't go. I read a quote one time in a disney guidebook that said "If you can crumple up a $100 bill and flush it down the toilet without flinching, then you are ready for a Disney Vacation".

Not true. I can afford to eat whatever I want. But I can only eat so much after having had gastric bypass surgery. No way can I eat a whole Disney burger and fries. And yes, even though I can't eat that much, I still pay adult prices when we have ADRs at a buffet. I figure it isn't Disney's fault that I can't eat that much. At Signature restaurants, I often take at least half of my steak back to the villa and have it for breakfast the next day. The protein is good for me and the food doesn't go to waste if I can do leftovers same as I do at home. My easiest trips are when we have a niece or nephew with us so that I can split an adult meat with a child. We both end up with plenty of food. But I certainly don't buy one meal because I can't afford to buy one for each of us.

I'm sorry, but the only reason that people are splitting soda's and burgers is because they really did not have enough funds to go on this trip to begin with

I share a soda with my DH. Doesn't have anything to do with my funds but rather my bladder...

I guess I should cancel my upcoming trip. I try to save a buck here and there by doing TIW for the 20% discount, and eating late lunches instead of dinners. I always get ice water from the fountain serve food outlets. Let's not get elitist here - I can afford to disregard cost and value, but I choose to do other things with my savings (like another trip to WDW). For many people, a dollar may be worth much more than it is to you. It's personal finance and economics, not a character flaw. Sorry if I offend many of you, but this needed to be said.
Sigh... nobody's telling anybody to stay home. Do whatever you want with your dollar. I personally don't care.

But the OP was told that the extra bun, wherever she was, cost $3.15, not a (the typical/expected/previous) dollar. When a double cheeseburger costs $8.69 and you add $3.15 to that and divide by two, you get $5.47 for each self-created single burger. When you simply ORDER two single cheeseburgers, they cost $5.49 each. Savings per burger? Two cents.

Yes, I know the single burger isn't on the menu. Neither is the extra bun. If someone is informed enough to know to order an extra bun, it is entirely reasonable to expect that person to be informed or creative enough to order two fully-prepared single burgers.

Next thing you know they are going to start charging for the "all you can eat" mushrooms at the toppings bar.:rotfl2:

Coca Cola has a deal with Disney. I have heard this MANY times from reliable sources, seen it on t.v. specials, and had a Tour Guide that has been with the WDW company for over 30 years mention this. WDW gets ALL the non-alcoholic (and non milk) beverages for FREE. Literally, for FREE. This includes ALL the fountain soda, Dasani bottled water, Vitamin Water, etc. It. Is. All. Free. This is how Coca Cola "pays" for their sponsorship of the parks. Other corporate sponsors pay tens (and sometimes hundreds) of thousands of dollars to sponsor ONE attraction. Coca Cola gets the ENTIRE property (as well as Disneyland Resort) simply by giving Disney the product for free.

Not even close to being right! Disney does NOT get Coke (bottle or fountain), milk, Dansani, or juices for free! I know this for 100% fact! Also, the food cost on the soda is much higher then you would think! In the "old" days, a lot of companies would give us their products for free if we used their machines (ie the coffee was free, but we had to use their coffee machine). Nowadays, we get nothing for free! Nothing!

Funny, but I do not think Coke shareholders would approve of giving free product to WDW for the pleasure of sponsoring a location that gives free samples to the guests of the park. That would not make smart business sense......a huge discount based on the amount of product moved yes, free unlimited beverage service, no. Coke must benefit from the arrangement too, and in you scenario their benefit would be limited to exposure/advertising. Coke does not need to give product away for that, they are the #1 beverage producer in the world.

Not even close to being right! Disney does NOT get Coke (bottle or fountain), milk, Dansani, or juices for free! I know this for 100% fact! Also, the food cost on the soda is much higher then you would think! In the "old" days, a lot of companies would give us their products for free if we used their machines (ie the coffee was free, but we had to use their coffee machine). Nowadays, we get nothing for free! Nothing!

bomzar, you are right......those things are not free, especially the bottled beverages, that an expensive item for Coke to produce. No way they get it for free at WDW!! As for the equipment usage, that is also correct. I have been in the food service industry for many years and have experienced the same thing: some companies would give you free or nearly free supplies for buying/leasing their equipment, but nowadays the market tends to supply you with free equipment to buy a certain product (beverage producers are the originators of this concept). I figure all the soda fountains and bottle coolers in WDW shops and restaurants are supplied by Coke in exchange for the purchase of large volumes of soda product.

Sorry to go on, and on, and on, and on, but I know first hand how the beverage industry interacts with food service/retail operations....it's what I do.

:thumbsup2

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but If I have to go to Disney and worry about splitting a soda or buying an extra bun to save money then I would be rethinking a Disney Vacation. Why not wait another year to go, and save more money.

COMPLETELY agree!! There is saving money and worrying about money and then there is splitting a single soda!! :eek::eek:

Also, I think it all comes down to motivation and what drives your actions for splitting your drinks and buns and such......

If you hate to waste money or food or you are not a big eater, then fine, share that 4 ounce soda and bun :thumbsup2

But if it because you cannot AFFORD two sodas and said bun, then that is a TOTALLY different issue.

If you are soooooooo stressed out whether or not you will have the money to buy sodas for your whole family, then personally you should NOT be taking a vacation.

People who are worried about what they spend for food in WDW because they can't afford it are not the folks sharing counter service meals and sodas; they are the ones sitting on the curb, watching the parade and eating canned corn :lmao: (old-timer joke, how many of you remember the canned corn people threads?)

DD and I frequently split cs lunch as it's just too much food if we each buy a meal; it has nothing to do with not being able to afford a Disney vacation. I could buy two single burger meals, but even that's too much food for us; the mountain of fries is overwhelming. I don't want to waste either food or money, and I DO want to be hungry for my ts adr in the evening! Sharing one double burger meal is a perfect solution, and although it's neater and easier to each eat one patty on one roll, it's completely possible to just cut one double burger in half. Why does anyone really care who is sharing, what they are sharing, or why?

I originally commented that $3.15 for a bun is ridiculous. I STILL think it's a ridiculous price and wouldn't pay it. I'm not whining about the "unfairness" of the cost, and hold no grudge against Disney for charging it; they can charge whatever they want (don't they already?). I'm just saying... it's a lot for a hamburger bun; if this is indeed the "new" price for a bun, we will go back to cutting one double cheeseburger in half!

I'm only on page 2 so I choose to voice my opinions now. on purpose.

I have NO problems with people saving money. hubby and I bring a cooler, and often have salami sandwiches with mac salad or chips in our room. we bring cans of tuna for sandwiches later in the trip. we bring chips, donuts, etc.

and as to "people who choose to snack" throughout the day... this is us, also. we will buy a taco meal at El pirato (whatever, when it is open), and each have a taco. our fav. breakfast is splitting a funnel cake at Sleepy Hollow... those are HUGE!. we also have split a hot dog and fries at Casey's (although I think they are not as big as they used to be, foot long?)

but, if you split a meal, you split a meal! period.! do NOT expect extras because you are "splitting".
to expect to order a double burger with a bun for the SAME price as 2 single burgers is ludicrous. (or even "slightly more").
you KNOW you're trying to "game" the system. you KNOW you are going to use twice the amount of condiments at the toppings bar .
as a server, I have no problem with people who just don't "eat much". i have many elderly customers who split meals. the entree comes with a salad. so ... they order an extra "side" salad. but you always have those customers who say.."we only want the one salad... BUT, make it extra big!".. or.... " we only want one steak,....but.. tell the cook to put a LOT of fries on the plate"

there are people who just can't eat that much, or are choosing to "snack there way through the parks," (ie, eating cheaply, not gorging themselves, and getting a variety of tastes) and then there are those who are trying to "cheat" their way through the "system".
(as in, ...we had an "all you can eat chicken" special. a couple wanted to order only ONE dinner, because she wasn't going to "eat that much"., she only wanted one piece of chicken, and a few fries, so why couldn't they just order one "all you can eat" meal?)
I find this amazing. everyone keeps bringing up the "canned corn" people. I think these people, who brought their own canned corn (ok, yucky), at least weren't trying to cheat anyone out of anything. somehow, these people were less respectable than the family who orders 2 double burgers, 3 extra buns, sits there dividing those burgers up with a plastic fork and using tons of mushrooms, pickles, lettuce, tomatos,etc at cosmic rays?
and using the condiments bar as a salad bar? (I know people who are vegetarians who this would be a meal for them)
and now Disney is bad for charging so much for an extra bun? sheesh.

It is all about choices. Our choices may not be the same, but no need to be snarky to each other

Play nice everyone :thumbsup2

Uh-Oh! The sheriff just rode into Deadwood! I'm on my horse and outta town, but still, as always...

IBTL%203.gif

That's great but how many don't ask for it and get the double cause that is all they see on the board? All my point was was that Disney makes a crap load of cash on concessions so we shouldn't feel bad that they might loose some money because people split a burger.

if people only order the double burger because that is all they see on the menu board (which is doubtful, I have always seen a single on the board, but anyway), then how do they know to order an extra bun? which is definitely NOt on the board?:confused3

as a server, I KNOW, if people want something, they will ask for it.ie, "can I get cottage cheese instead of salad?"
me"i"m sorry, we don't have cottage cheese." them "but, I don't want to pay extra for it; I want it INSTEAD of the salad.". me "I'm sorry, we just don't have cottage cheese." them.. "ok, I'm willing to pay extra for it"... me " do you want to wait a half hour for me to run down to the Jewel and buy it? because we DON"T HAVE cottage cheese."
:confused3:rotfl: (I'm not joking.. this actually happened)

I do it too. I can't eat a whole meal and I know my daughters aren't going to either. I let them eat while i run and get the napkins, ketchup, etc. Then when they are done and eating their dessert, I will just eat the leftovers. It makes more sense to us than buying something that will end up going to waste because we won't finish it.
I see nothing gross about finishing my children's food as another poster commented. They are my children. They wash their hands before they eat. They do not play with the food. It isn't about being cheap as we are on the DDO, it is about using common sense for us and not wasting food.

:rotfl:when my boys were babies, I especially loved the bananas, plums, and custards. (baby food) hubby would gross out watching me feed the babies. one for you.. two for you.. um.. one for mom...one for you.." him..." "how CAN you DO that? that spoon was just in the baby's mouth?!" .. I miss those days...:cloud9:

I find it amazing of the extremes that people go to when they are on a vacation in WDW. Why not just go with the flow and accept things for what they are. Isn't Disney Exhausting enough? I'm sorry, but the only reason that people are splitting soda's and burgers is because they really did not have enough funds to go on this trip to begin with. I am by no means a rich person, but If I go on vacation I always have ample money saved so I don't need to worry about ridiculous stuff like this. If the money is not there, then I don't go. I read a quote one time in a disney guidebook that said "If you can crumple up a $100 bill and flush it down the toilet without flinching, then you are ready for a Disney Vacation".[/QUOTE]

wow! do I totally disagree with this statement. I used to think disney was unaffordable. then I did some research. I would never do anything I thought I couldn't afford. the reason hubby and I can afford the trips we DO take is BECAUSE we scrimp and save, and do things economicaly. if everytime we took a trip, our mindset was; "what the heck.. it's a vacation! let's just SPEND!" we would not have taken half the trips we have. people("friends") laugh at us, for driving down.. taking our cooler, eating boloney sandwiches in the room, bringing donuts, chips, etc. but. we still partake of nice dining, shows, etc. we plan, we budget, we spend. but.. we budget.... we have lots of fun, and take twice as many vacations as our friends.

Also, I think it all comes down to motivation and what drives your actions for splitting your drinks and buns and such......

If you hate to waste money or food or you are not a big eater, then fine, share that 4 ounce soda and bun :thumbsup2

But if it because you cannot AFFORD two sodas and said bun, then that is a TOTALLY different issue.

If you are soooooooo stressed out whether or not you will have the money to buy sodas for your whole family, then personally you should NOT be taking a vacation.

again, I totally disagree. not everyone can afford the same "type" of vacation. nor are they stressed out about it.
many families are happy .. just being there. and a family of four are very happy splitting a soda.
some families can spend what they want. whenever they want.
most fall inbetween.
and some can only go if they cut corners. to say.."If you have to worry about spending money, you can't afford to go" is ludicrous. MANY people go to Disney on a budget. if that mean they split meals share sodas, eat sandwiches and donuts in the room, God bless them for making it work!
I know I have, and will continue to do sol

I will cut corners, and , then again, spend money, if I have it, for extras. how do you know if the family splitting meals are not doing so in order to afford hoop dee do Revue the next night?
this thread got totally off the subject, which was how much Disney should charge for an extra bun.
apparently, it was costing them too much. so, order 2 single burgers, and one order of fries.

I will cut corners, and , then again, spend money, if I have it, for extras. .

I'm cutting corners for our upcoming trip in August; I'm not going concierge this time. :lmao:

But when it comes to food, there is no cutting back for me. I didn't get to 225lbs because I share a hamburger with someone or pack saltine crackers and peanut butter in a sack. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter