Princess Power - September 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

Good morning everyone!

I just had a lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs. All in the quest of eating more protein. It was really delicious and it will be interesting to see how it holds up until lunch. Lunch will be carb heavy as we are planning to go to this little vegetarian cafe next to work. They have been closed for nearly all summer and we really missed it. At first I always refused to go there as things were too weird for me (I am especially picky when it comes to veggies), but after having once tried a quinoa and fennel salad I fell in love with the place as both were foods that I would have never touched before and I loved it! But vegetarian dishes tend to be more on the carb side...

My weight is up slightly from yesterday, but I am not concerned as I can feel that this is water retention from restarting the running. Things will even out over the next few days and once I am back into a regular exercise routine the water retention from the exercise will go down, too. I had my fourth or fifth night of perfect sleep now. I am still managing to get to bed around my planned time (yesterday was a little late) and I am now waking up at 6:30am well rested and happy to start the day!! I think one of my problems is that I can manage on less sleep quite ok. But it really is only ok and not good. So, more sleep makes me happier!! Need to keep working on that!!

I think the challenge is from pushing to hard in the past I have stopped all efforts to remain healthy for period of time. It's crazy that I lost 12.3 kg or 27 lbs! It's easy to forget how much better I feel now and get too worked up over last 6 lbs. (2.7kg)

The main goal for me is not the 2.7 remaining but to prove I learned the lessons of past failures and this time is the time when I really changed from someone that struggles with weight, to someone that is healthy, doesn't overeat and not only knows, but does what is the right thing to do to maintain healthy happy weight

I need the support more then ever as I have been down this road before and when I think I no longer need it, and I am perfectly ok bad habits creep back up.

I did however adjust my goal to 6 more lbs to go until 1st of January. This should be enough to avoid overdoing it but keep me in the right direction and it will be lovely not to have weight loss goals in 2017

Last edited:
I am stressing out about DDP I hate to admit. It's hard, isn't it? It's not enough that there is so much temptation but dessert is included in every meal. And I hate waste, and I will have to deal with the oh, it's part of the package, I paid for it so may be I should use it!

Good morning all … Can you believe it is the 20th of the month? You know what that means…. 10 days to go for September – the end is in sight, you can do it, stay strong, hang in there! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Today we are going to hear from Princess Belle….

Belle_profile.jpg

The Beauty and The Beast story whilst influenced by folklore apparently wasn’t an actual folk story passed on for generations like some of our other Princess stories. This was a novella with intricate details, and subplots written by French author Madame Gabrielle-Suzanne de Villeneuve in 1740 and intended for adults and explored women’s rights within marriage. The story was re-interpreted by Madame Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont in 1757 for children as a message about manners, good behaviour and physical beauty. It is this version that the Disney story released in 1991 is based.

Belle.png

I know many of us here love Belle – she is our favourite bookworm!

c73951f4743f2e2996ca084582957792.jpg

QOTD: Do you love to curl up with a good book? Do you prefer reading to escape in a fantasy story or do you prefer factual books/stories? Have you read any good books that have helped you on your health life journey? If yes, share with us what it was and what it was that spoke to you.

Bonus Question: Are you excited to see the new real life version of Beauty and The Beast?

Quote of the Day

75269-disney-beauty-and-the-beast-quote.jpg

Then suddenly in week two - 4 pound weight drop! And it's been steadily continuing since then.

That's fantastic - glad you are seeing good results.

I have to go with Flynn. He's charming and witty and in the end genuine and I like that.

I'm with you about Flynn

I do deadlifts, back squats, bench presses, rows, barbell glute bridges, push ups and that type of thing. No lunges as they don't suit me
Always starting with plans

Great work!

I'm really terrible at including strength training

You are not alone - me too

I had my second 10K this weekend and it went well! Again, really pleased with the results. The course was actually the 5K course twice which I contend is just torture no matter how easy the course is. Because there's nothing new to look at the second half of the race! But the race is done which makes me happy. I only have one more 10K to go and then I'll have 2 weekends to push my distance to prepare for my half marathon. Which is hard to believe that it's that close! I'm already starting to freak out.

Congratulations on your run. Deep breath - no freaking out you got this - you are on track!

I try and do squats, lunges and some core work in the exercises ball. I should be doing more though.

You are doing more than me lol - so great work!

Ha! This made me laugh... and I needed it, I definitely have a case of the Mondays today.

Glad I could help with Mondayitis - it was only fair considering how girly this month is!

Hit the scale at 198 this morning. I found an old lacrosse program from my freshman year in high school that had me listed at 199. I weigh less now than I did my freshman year in high school. Unbelievable. When I started this whole thing I was just hoping to maybe get in the 240's. I used to think how great that would be... can't really comprehend seeing my weight begin with a 1! Anyway, this puts me at 100% of my September goal!

Great work on being at 100% for the month. But more importantly the fact that you are getting into better shape than you were when you were younger is awesome and such a big achievement.

I've been crazy busy this weekend and MIA -- DH and I closed on a small business on Friday so it's a nut house over here setting it all up on our end.

Congratulations! Good luck with the business.

I basically don't strength train at all--- and I know I should.

Aahh this is me exactly - there are a lot of things I know I would be doing but aren't.

I haven't done much of it recently though :(

Did it help with your running speeds? You can always get back on plan

I gained 2lbs back and I am not happy :(

Its all good - as I see Courtney gave you the same encouragement I was going to - you still have time you aren't completely derailed.

Unfortunately I haven't had many women help me along the way (outside of this group) my mom is the jealous type when I lose weight and I am not close with other women in my family. I spent a lot of time with my grandmother but she was not very healthy and we bonded over food so while she meant well I think that is where my food troubles began.

I am sorry that you haven't had many good female experiences (sometimes we can be so unsupportive of each other) - we are all here for you.

I use exercise bands for my strength training a couple times a week.

Oooh another good option.

This weekend we finally got the kid's pictures taken and they turned out amazing! I was also able to get in a 7 mile run.

I bet they look gorgeous! Yeah for the run.

I struggle here! I TRY to include strength training in the form of DVDs that involve light weights. However my running comes first. So since the kids have been back in school I've gotten all my runs in (which was my goal), all of my Yoga workouts in but the strength training days are the ones that have suffered. I think I've done 1 in the last month. Next month I'll try to work that into my goal.

I am super impressed with all that are already fitting in and that is a great goal for next month.

Well my weekend didn't turn out like I had planned. Saturday we decided to go to eat for dinner. Well I got macaroni and cheese with andouille sausage, broccoli and red peppers. I knew I should not have gotten it for two reasons. 1. It is not that healthy but not horrible. I could have done worse and 2. I know my digestive system does not like cheese. I ended up not felling good Saturday afternoon. I must have wanted to punish myself because I ate the left overs on Sunday for lunch. Yep, I paid for that. I was sick all afternoon. Thankfully I was planning on being home all day and watching football so I just laid on the couch all day.

We have all been there at some stage. No more beating yourself up about it though - move on to positivity this week and you can make different choices.

I need to work on getting my steps in. I did go for a walk on Friday with a friend. Our sons are both in the same class that I am having an issue with. It was nice to catch up and vent about the class. She is having issues too with the class. Her and I need to do this more often. She only lives about a 2 minute drive from me. I got over 14,000 on Friday. It didn't even feel like we were walking that long.

It really helps to walk and chat and to find that you are not alone with issues with the school.

Here is an update on my son's English class. Still no answers. I am getting even more frustrated with the lack of communication. The team lead has not emailed me back so I have now sent an email to the principal. This is not what I wanted to do. I hate having to talk to the principal. I have never had to before. I feel they have better things to worry about. Especially since my son has now told me about 2 different first fights at school. Seriously, the kids in the school are 10 and 11. Well, hopefully I will get some answers soon so the principal can get back to mare pressing issues.

Sometimes you do need to go to the Principal - I hope you get some answers and a response that is helpful.

I went for a run!!! I am soooooo happy!

its great that you are starting to feel better enough to get back to running.

Forgot the QOTD: I do not really do strength training as such, but the Jillian Michaels DVDs that I like do have some strength exercises (more toning than strength exercises) and I really like the effect those have on my body. I am going to re-start doing the again now and hope to get to improve my shape a little before my cruise... I also need to do strength training specifically for my foot. But those exercises are boring and tiring... However, they are necessary and I should be off doing them so that I can go to bed to keep up with my good intentions about early bedtime!

You definitely need to look after that foot - throw on something fun to watch while you do it - then it won't be so boring.

Crazy day today, first day of the new team structure and of me being the day time on call. I've survived tho.

I think you could say there's strength training in pilates but other than that I don't do any.

Favorite prince... The guy in Frozen with the reindeer was pretty cute. For a cartoon charector.

Results aren't good, weight is up a couple pounds and step count has been off due to a sore toe so I'm at 0%. .

Glad you survived the first day post work changes. Pilates definitely counts! Hang in there about the results - I am still at 0% too. How did the tattooing go?

I had a great day yesterday! I feel I got this.

So glad you had a good day.

32 days to WDW!

Sooooo jealous!

I want to be healthy so I can do more and have more fun, not so I can be skinny and drained, hungry and cranky

lol - this made me laugh - but it is so true - skinny doesn't always equal healthy.

I just had a lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs. All in the quest of eating more protein.

Yummy

I had my fourth or fifth night of perfect sleep now. I am still managing to get to bed around my planned time (yesterday was a little late) and I am now waking up at 6:30am well rested and happy to start the day!! I think one of my problems is that I can manage on less sleep quite ok. But it really is only ok and not good. So, more sleep makes me happier!! Need to keep working on that!!

Way to go with the sleeping!

I need the support more then ever as I have been down this road before and when I think I no longer need it, and I am perfectly ok bad habits creep back up.

We are definitely here to support you - we will try to remind you about balance and the big picture when you start sounding like you being too hard on yourself and pushing yourself too much.

Okay I tried to use emojis to make my posts friendlier - but they didn't want to play with me tonight! So just imagine lots of smiley faces and cheering!

Edited to remove my gremlin double post! >:( well at least the emojis are working for me again!

Last edited:
@4Mickeys you did it again with the double post!! :rotfl2: The DIS seems to hate you at the moment. So sorry about this because the thread is quite lovely! :goodvibes

@HappyGrape I understand your dilemma. That's why after the first time with the dining plan, I decided to not get it again. I guess you got it for free, so it is a great discount to have... If you got it for free though: Shouldn't it be easier to not use up "free" food - than some that you already paid for? What about deciding beforehand that you will have a certain number of meals with desserts (like only half the meals or only 1/3). That way it might feel less like throwing away your entitlements and you will be able to get a few delicious treats when you feel like it. And for the counter service desserts: In my opinion those are rarely worth the calories in the first place and you could always try if they might let you replace it with something else (like a bottle of water). Not sure what the current policy is and often you might get a no, but you could at least try to turn it into something that is better value for you personally.

Are you including any strength training in your weekly routines? If yes what does it involve? If no – what could you think about including?

No I am not! I feel so far off track with my exercising at the moment. I will turn it around though.

Bonus Question: Who is your favourite Disney Prince?

Like many of you - I am a Flynn Rider fan.

Do you love to curl up with a good book? Do you prefer reading to escape in a fantasy story or do you prefer factual books/stories? Have you read any good books that have helped you on your health life journey? If yes, share with us what it was and what it was that spoke to you.

Yes I love to read books - I like to escape from reality - I have to read journal articles to stay current for work - I haven't ready any life/healthy books lately.

Are you excited to see the new real life version of Beauty and The Beast?

I am nervously excited - I really enjoyed the Cinderella one so am hoping this lives up to expectations.

I was looking at my quote of the day - I'm not sure its very inspiring - it reflects my mood today I think. My employer is on a bit of a health and wellbeing bent lately which overall is a good thing - but we had a guest speaker who was talking about wellbeing and the role of relationships - I am blaming hormones partly but for some reason it really got me down today and it was all I could do not to burst into tears and run from the room - it helped that I was stuck in the middle of a row so I had to fight it off.

So here is another quote ......

eace2408048c9138dfa35a4f71c4427c.jpg

Last edited:
I am stressing out about DDP I hate to admit. It's hard, isn't it? It's not enough that there is so much temptation but dessert is included in every meal. And I hate waste, and I will have to deal with the oh, it's part of the package, I paid for it so may be I should use it!

We have always gotten the DDP. Most of the time my husband and I skip the dessert. We just can't eat it all. There were a few times that I just got a small bowl of ice cream. You might be able to get fresh fruit that you can take with you and eat through out the day. We have done this before too.

I was looking at my quote of the day - I'm not sure its very inspiring - it reflects my mood today I think. My employer is on a bit of a health and welling bent lately which overall is a good thing - but we had a guest speaker who was talking about welling and the role of relationships - I am blaming hormones partly but for some reason it really got me down today and it was all I could do not to burst into tears and run from the room - it helped that I was stuck in the middle of a row so I had to fight it off.

Sending a big hug to the other side of the world! However, I have to ask, what does "welling" mean? I have never come across that word.

QOTD:
I used to be a huge bookworm! That is one of the reasons why my boyfriend thinks Belle is my princess (the others are growing up in a village where I did not fit in because of being a bookworm and then our complicated long distance relationship... When we just started to go out Disney was selling a t-shirt with Belle and Beast and the text: "Relationship status: Complicated" and we thought that that was so fitting for us, I still have that t-shirt and love it!). However, I used to read far more, now a lot of my reading time has been taking up by stupid internet time. I really need to try to cut back on that. I love all kind of things to read, newspapers, fiction and non-fiction. Interestingly I have found the more stressed I am the more likely I am to read non-fiction. I find it difficult to get into a book when my mind is all occupied with other things.

Bonus QOTD:
I am not sure. I was so looking forward to Cinderella and then kind of hated it. It started with really disliking the actress and then somehow it felt like the live action film did not really add anything new. This really put me off the live action films... However, the Beauty and the Beast film does intrigue me, so most likely I am going to watch it...

Good morning all … Can you believe it is the 20th of the month? You know what that means…. 10 days to go for September – the end is in sight, you can do it, stay strong, hang in there! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Today we are going to hear from Princess Belle….

View attachment 195872

The Beauty and The Beast story whilst influenced by folklore apparently wasn’t an actual folk story passed on for generations like some of our other Princess stories. This was a novella with intricate details, and subplots written by French author Madame Gabrielle-Suzanne de Villeneuve in 1740 and intended for adults and explored women’s rights within marriage. The story was re-interpreted by Madame Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont in 1757 for children as a message about manners, good behaviour and physical beauty. It is this version that the Disney story released in 1991 is based.

View attachment 195873

I know many of us here love Belle – she is our favourite bookworm!

View attachment 195874

QOTD: Do you love to curl up with a good book? Do you prefer reading to escape in a fantasy story or do you prefer factual books/stories? Have you read any good books that have helped you on your health life journey? If yes, share with us what it was and what it was that spoke to you.

Bonus Question: Are you excited to see the new real life version of Beauty and The Beast?

Quote of the Day

I hate reading. It comes from not being a good reading and more recently I have realized I have a lot of the same vision issues as my daughter and I think this has caused some of my hatred towards books. I don't even like reading kids books. The ones I read to my kids when they were little were ones that I knew the book more for memory.

I have read a few books that I really like. It takes a lot for me to read and like a book. I love books about the Kennedy's and have read several. I just can't read the big JFK book. I have it and have tried several times to read it. For me it is a really tough read and I can't even get though the first chapter. I have also read the "Fifty Shades of Gray" series. Recently I have been reading the books from Elizabeth Smart and the one girls that were kidnapped from Cleveland and found 10 years later. So I guess for the most part I like the true stories. I did just get a book from the library last night. The book is called "The out of Sync Child". It is about kids with sensory processing issues. My daughter has been diagnosised with some of this. A friend of my recommended it so I am hoping it will help me understand some of her issues.

I can not wait for the the live version to come out. We have gone as a family to all see all of them in the theater. I am most excited for this one though. Other then Cinderella (which I like Roberts and Hammerstein's better then Disney's) Beauty and the Beast my favorite.

Belle - my favorite princess! I'm feeling really old right now because Beauty and the Beast came out when I was a kid and now it's celebrating its 25th anniversary! Yikes! I haven't ordered the new bluray anniversary edition yet because I cannot figure out the difference between that set and the Diamond Edition version I have already.

Books: I love reading but it's been awhile for me to find something worth reading and curling up with them. I typically enjoy the Young Adult fantasy books because they're light, fast reads and usually are made into a movie - so I can watch after I'm done reading. I've been reading a lot of books about running. Meb's "Meb for Mortals" was a great book for me to read as I was preparing for the Half Marathon insanity this year. It's a great read for anyone wanting to read about running and preparation.

Bonus: Yesssssss. I am so excited for it! :) Everything about it looks amazing.

I like to read, I try to take my book with me everywhere I go so I read more instead of play on my phone. It's funny that @courtneybeth mentioned young adult books because I started reading the young adult series The Kingdom Keepers (they are based on the Disney Parks) but I felt so weird reading them because they are for a younger crowd but they are a quick, fun read. I usually read historical fiction, my favorite time period is WWII.

Bonus: I am excited for Beauty and The Beast! I was also a little girl when it came out and can remember getting the VHS.

Another Belle lover over here! I looooove books and literature. I enjoy historical fiction most of all, but also enjoy fantasy (Game of Thrones sort) and am another one that likes YA fiction for fun fast reads. Right now I am into the Outlander series. I don't read as much as I used to since we got Netflix and Amazon Prime :oops:

Bonus: Yes!!! I love a lot of the cast as individuals and am interested to see the dynamic as an ensemble. Plus, I have super fond memories of the tale as a child, so even if it's bad it will hold a special place in my heart :-)

welling" mean? I have never come across that word.

haha that was my super fast typing fingers and my going slow computer last night - it should have been WELLBEING!

Relationship status: Complicated" and we thought that that was so fitting for us, I still have that t-shirt and love it!).

That is hilarious I love it.

Sending a big hug to the other side of the world!

Thank you

The book is called "The out of Sync Child". It is about kids with sensory processing issues. My daughter has been diagnosised with some of this. A friend of my recommended it so I am hoping it will help me understand some of her issues.

We have that book at work - its pretty good. Someone also showed me another good one the other day ... I wrote it down but I have to find the piece of paper - if I can find it I will let you know the title.

Belle - my favorite princess! I'm feeling really old right now because Beauty and the Beast came out when I was a kid and now it's celebrating its 25th anniversary!

I get like that sometimes - but remember you are only as old as you feel - and I bet when you go to see it you will feel like a kid again lol

The Kingdom Keepers (they are based on the Disney Parks) but I felt so weird reading them because they are for a younger crowd but they are a quick, fun read. I usually read historical fiction, my favorite time period is WWII.

They sound interesting - my son gave me a short book to read that he just finished (he really liked it) - he is doing a reading challenge competition for school and I think they are set books that they have to answer questions to - anyway it's about the developing relationship between a grandson and his grandfather who was injured and scarred in the war (I can't remember which one) - it is really simple but written well. I like books that are set in or about the US South - I am just so drawn to that area for some reason lol.

I did it. Back on the step/fitbit wagon after 2 lousy days. Got out first thing after the kids got on the buses and started week 6 of c25k. Then added on an extra mile and a half walk with my mom. Grand total of 4 miles. So glad I stuck to my calorie count on Sun & Mon even if I didn't hit 10k steps. If nothing else, I FEEL like I'm making progress (and I suspect that our scale is having issues...going to give it another week or so before I replace it - but +/-5lbs when I step off and immediately back on leads me to believe it might not be so accurate anymore!).

Total bookworm. I love curling up at night with a great books. Generally fiction but I can get into a great non-fiction as well. Last year's favorite non-fiction was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Struggling with this month's bookclub pick, so I might have to alternate with something else for a while.

Cardio vs. strength. I'm a cardio addict. I love it. I'm trying to add some strength/toning videos - definitely going to be part of my goal for next month as I should be done with the running plan and can just make sure to get out for regular runs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter