• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Princess Weekend 2022

I have a marathon in 3.5 weeks, then the Goofy Challenge in January, what, 6 weeks after that, *then* get started on Princess training. Then I retire from the sport :joker:
Famous last words. After the cancellation of the 2018 Star Wars races at Disneyland, I considered "retiring" from running. I liked the idea of going out on top having earned my (still) very favorite medal ever in the Kessel Run medal after completing the 2017 Star Wars Half Marathon races at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

Next thing I knew I signed up for the 2017 Avengers Half untrained with just 3 weeks left to go and one year later I was training for the marathon. So much for retiring for me.

Famous last words. After the cancellation of the 2018 Star Wars races at Disneyland, I considered "retiring" from running. I liked the idea of going out on top having earned my (still) very favorite medal ever in the Kessel Run medal after completing the 2017 Star Wars Half Marathon races at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

Next thing I knew I signed up for the 2017 Avengers Half untrained with just 3 weeks left to go and one year later I was training for the marathon. So much for retiring for me.
Haha I was definitely kidding, my head might explode if I stopped running. I may retire from the marathon distance, but I always say that at this stage of marathon training!

Haha I was definitely kidding, my head might explode if I stopped running. I may retire from the marathon distance, but I always say that at this stage of marathon training!
After my first marathon in 2019, I certainly wanted to explore other marathons. I soon found that close ones were far too fast for my abilities.

After training for marathon number 2 and now training for marathon number 3, all of which are Disney World, I'm currently in the mode of I'm only interested in the marathon distance if it goes through Disney World. As cool as New York would be, the timing doesn't work professionally.

Wow, that made it feel closer suddenly!
I fear my husband may not be ready for this race. He laid out a plan that was going to work to get him ready with a gentle ramp-up since he hasn’t been running since last year. He was barely to point of 3 mile runs on this plan. He has skipped several runs, some due to mental health woes and not being able to kick his own butt out of the door and a couple more recently a weird rib spasm that just really locks him up. I really hope he gets it together. I asked him to at least walk if he could just so he doesn’t lose all of his progress and break a habit he was barely building. He said he will try walking and see if his ribs will tolerate it. IDK, I’m not hopeful. I think I’ll be running alone.

Anyone else not seeing any rooms available for Feb 24th and onwards? Did I wait too long to book my resorts?!

Anyone else not seeing any rooms available for Feb 24th and onwards? Did I wait too long to book my resorts?!

The 25th and later are available across all room types. It's just the 24th that has no availability. Book the other nights you need, and see if you can add the 24th later.

Alternatively, stay offsite for the 24th or the whole trip.

The 25th and later are available across all room types. It's just the 24th that has no availability. Book the other nights you need, and see if you can add the 24th later.

Alternatively, stay offsite for the 24th or the whole trip.
No DVC rentals available on 24th either. I agree, stay off site one night, then come back to the magic. ;)

Any other princess runners also planning to do the Surprise 10 mile run weekend in spring (3/31-4/3)? I really want to do all 3 races that weekend but trying to figure out how to tell my husband that I want us to go back 6 weeks after princess....

Any other princess runners also planning to do the Surprise 10 mile run weekend in spring (3/31-4/3)? I really want to do all 3 races that weekend but trying to figure out how to tell my husband that I want us to go back 6 weeks after princess....
Nope, but I'm doing Marathon weekend 6 weeks before Princess (and going down for Thanksgiving 5 weeks before that, and went down for the 50th anniversary before that...)

Just let him know the Disney addiction could be worse.

*Edited to add: I'm DVC and have an annual pass, plus live near major airports with really cheap, direct flights (least expensive ever was $44 roundtrip). Other's costs will vary.

Last edited:

I want to but cannot afford it, I have already Aulani in July 2022 and then Thanksgiving 2022 in at AKL and then Rundisney marathon weekend 2023. So yeah I cannot add anything more in.... even though I really want do it.

Yeah like the others, I am running Marathon Weekend and Princess and I can't do 3 runDisney trips in one semester, that just seems a little over the top! I will have major FOMO though for that Tower of Terror 10 miler.

I'm doing princess virtually, but I'm running MW and then our family will be in Orlando during SS weekend (cancelled our cruise because toddlers and vaccine requirements don't mix) so I have about 3 weeks to lobby DH for me to run either the 10k or the 10mi. Possibly with one of our kids. Paying for a $$ race registration right before Christmas isn't going to be an easy sell though.

I'm seriously considering doing the Spring Surprise challenge! Honestly at this point there's a chance I skip out on my Princess registration, and just do the Spring Surprise instead ... eeek.

I preferred the Spring Surprise dates from the start, but they never released race info so I signed up for Princess. Now I want to do both. Of course!!

Me! Various coworkers and family members have looked at me like I’m a bit nuts, but it’s my money and my PTO, and it gives me a good reason to keep up with my fitness goals, so I’m going for it. I’ve also already made a reservation the probable Wine & Dine 2022 weekend because I’ve got an airline credit that needs using before then.

He was barely to point of 3 mile runs on this plan.

The beginner half training program posted by rundisney is only up to mile 2 by the coming weekend, FWIW. Of course then it jumps to 5, but training plans are always a bit bananas at weeks 4 to 5.

I hope he can convince himself to walk for now.

I am SO tempted.

The beginner half training program posted by rundisney is only up to mile 2 by the coming weekend, FWIW. Of course then it jumps to 5, but training plans are always a bit bananas at weeks 4 to 5.

I hope he can convince himself to walk for now.

Normally I wouldn’t be too worried, but with holidays in there, I know there are a few more weeks where little running will happen and he likes a sloooowwww ramp up, so he needs all the weeks built into his plan. On a positive note, he went out yesterday and was able to do the 4 mile run on his plan, despite the skipped runs. I think that made him feel better about not having lost his fitness. Then today he went out again. Beforehand, he said he really didn’t want to go And I told him that he would feel better having done it. He knows this and managed to get out the door.
He’s had a rough few months with mental health struggles and a close friend of his died suddenly last week. It’s just been hard on him and his instinct is to hunker down, even when that doesn’t necessarily serve him well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter