• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Princess Weekend 2022

Also, today I booked airfare and hotel for the Spring Surprise weekend! Plan on registering on 12/9 for the 10k and the 10 miler (can't make the 5k on Thurs night). We're staying at Swan Reserve - first time not in a Disney hotel. But we got a 1 bed suite for $460/night (like a DVC but no kitchen) and it's hard to beat that price! Plus I figure the location will be good for the Ratatouille and TOT themed races (assuming they start/end in Epcot and HS?)

Seeing all these IG stories with flat lays for W&D costumes makes me want to up my costume game. Am I the only one? :D

Is there a good tag to search to see these costumes still? Or are the pics gone if they were stories?

If you could choose, which 10k course would you prefer for Princess 2022?

The classic 10k course used for MW/Princess:

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 9.54.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-07 at 9.56.42 AM.png

Or this new course that is being used for MW 2022:

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 9.54.33 AM.png

View attachment 628699View attachment 628701

View attachment 628700

Granted, I’m not running Princess, but I’d prefer the “classic” course. Running around World Showcase all lit up with the torches flickering in the dark is special. I’d rather not trade that special experience for a bare sliver of Hollywood Studios.

I've never run any of them, so it's all new to me! I think I prefer the one with more World Showcase because princesses are associated with places mostly.

View attachment 628699View attachment 628701

View attachment 628700

Classic course for me! I would rather really get to put some miles in at one park than kind of touch 2. The HS leg is so short, it's almost like it doesn't happen and I don't love the area between HS and the boardwalk. It is so narrow and being towards the end of the run, you end up getting slowed up by those runners that went out too fast and burned out at the end.

How about Saturday at Hurricane Hannah's at Beach Club at 2:30-4:30pm? If people want to stay later, that's fine, but I'd probably duck out around then to head back to SS, get dinner, and go to bed. HH is a good spot because it's between EPCOT/DHS and the Boardwalk tends to be easily accessible from other resorts. We can pivot to something inside if it's raining.

And for those lurkers (I know you're reading this...), you're welcome too. :wave2: Just because you don't post, doesn't mean you can't come meet everyone. We're a friendly bunch.

Hopefully, when race day gets closer we'll get more info about these designated arrival times for start groups and determine the feasibility of pre-race morning meetups as well.

I do not want to commit to any meet cause I just do not know how I will feel. But if I feel good that sounds great.

I do not want to commit to any meet cause I just do not know how I will feel. But if I feel good that sounds great.

There's no commitment needed. We don't actually need an expressed head count for any reason. Just in case any lurkers think that a lack of comment or commitment would preclude them from attending the meetup. Just simply looking for a time that works for a majority of us.

PS - I see you lurkers... :magnify: :smooth:

As for classic 10k course vs MW 10k course, and which I'd prefer to see for Princess 2022. I think I'd personally go with the MW 2022 course because I'm running all three Princess races. My reasons:

-The classic 5k course has the entire EPCOT loop similar to the classic 10k loop. So no difference there.
-The classic 10k has Yacht/Beach, and the new MW 10k has Yacht/Beach. So a wash.
-There are 3.5 miles of highway in both classic and new.
-The old Sunset/Hollywood portion of DHS is back from the old marathon course on the new 10k course.
-So then it's a matter of trading Boardwalk running (on classic) vs DHS to Boardwalk path (on new course). I can see pros/cons of both.

One downside of the new 10k course is that the EPCOT Center Drive downhill off ramp is quite cambered. My ankles aren't going to appreciate that. The uphill on-ramp onto Buena Vista is less cambered.

From a competitive racing standpoint, I like the new MW 10k course because it has less twists and turns and I can keep other runners in eye-sight easier.

Can someone help me - didn't realize there could be a different course. My friend just decided to join me last night, which is totally a surprise and so appreciated, and her goal is to spectate. I want to make this as easy as possible on her, and from hearing from others, if we stay at an Epcot area resort, she can simply walk over to the boardwalk area and watch. Will that be possible with the possible new course?

Second question would be - if we don't switch resorts - how does she get to the finish line as a spectator? And specifically - how late can she board that bus to the finish line since I won't be finishing until the "end" b/c I'm so slow and put myself in the latest possible time frame?

Can someone help me - didn't realize there could be a different course. My friend just decided to join me last night, which is totally a surprise and so appreciated, and her goal is to spectate. I want to make this as easy as possible on her, and from hearing from others, if we stay at an Epcot area resort, she can simply walk over to the boardwalk area and watch. Will that be possible with the possible new course?

We are just speculating on the course at this point, since courses for Marathon Weekend and Princess Weekend tend to be very similar. But runDisney hasn't published the Princess event guide yet so it could be that the 10k course isn't the same.

The Marathon Weekend transportation guide indicates these times for the buses, to give you an idea if your friend wants to take the bus to the finish line:

Second question would be - if we don't switch resorts - how does she get to the finish line as a spectator? And specifically - how late can she board that bus to the finish line since I won't be finishing until the "end" b/c I'm so slow and put myself in the latest possible time frame?

Both the potential new course and the old classic course run on Yacht/Beach club side and by at least a portion of Boardwalk. So yes, both would be spectatable for someone who was staying at an EPCOT area resort. But as @azrivest points out, we're just speculating as we don't know yet.

Now, earlier I came up with an estimated finish time of 7:20-7:30 for your 10k, based on your pace and being towards the end of the starting groups. As you can see from @azrivest screen shot for MW 2022, the 10k buses are not re-running until 7:00am (we don't know Princess yet). Based on my experience, spectators should not board a bus to view a runner finishing unless it's at least 35 min from when buses begin to re-run. So if the 10k buses start up again from resort headed to EPCOT at 7:00am, then anyone finishing before 7:35am is unlikely to be seen. You fall into that window with an estimated finish of 7:20-7:30am. So my recommendation is either:

1) Your spectator views you from the Boardwalk area.
2) Your spectator boards one of the last buses at 4:30am, sits at the finish line until 7:20-7:30am to see you finish.
3) Your spectator gets some other form of travel like an uber at 6:00-6:30am and heads to the finish line.

Based on my experience and the timing we're calculating, I don't think having your spectator board a 7am bus will get them there in time to see you finish.

Both the potential new course and the old classic course run on Yacht/Beach club side and by at least a portion of Boardwalk. So yes, both would be spectatable for someone who was staying at an EPCOT area resort. But as @azrivest points out, we're just speculating as we don't know yet.

Now, earlier I came up with an estimated finish time of 7:20-7:30 for your 10k, based on your pace and being towards the end of the starting groups. As you can see from @azrivest screen shot for MW 2022, the 10k buses are not re-running until 7:00am (we don't know Princess yet). Based on my experience, spectators should not board a bus to view a runner finishing unless it's at least 35 min from when buses begin to re-run. So if the 10k buses start up again from resort headed to EPCOT at 7:00am, then anyone finishing before 7:35am is unlikely to be seen. You fall into that window with an estimated finish of 7:20-7:30am. So my recommendation is either:

1) Your spectator views you from the Boardwalk area.
2) Your spectator boards one of the last buses at 4:30am, sits at the finish line until 7:20-7:30am to see you finish.
3) Your spectator gets some other form of travel like an uber at 6:00-6:30am and heads to the finish line.

Based on my experience and the timing we're calculating, I don't think having your spectator board a 7am bus will get them there in time to see you finish.
Ok - thank you both for posting the buses and this above summary. Yeah, seeing this, the 7:00 am departure would make her pretty anxious. My other question was if she could take an Uber to the finish line - didn't know if: #1 - they were allowed in, and #2 if traffic is crazy with the runners, etc., and if timing should be thought out. It would cost us $200 total more to switch to an Ecpot resort. I'll talk that over with her. THANK YOU!

My other question was if she could take an Uber to the finish line - didn't know if: #1 - they were allowed in, and #2 if traffic is crazy with the runners, etc., and if timing should be thought out.

Yes, you are able to take an uber to the finish line. This shows the 10k road closures for MW 2022:

https://guide.rundisney.events/transportation/
Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 10.14.02 AM.png

From this you can see that heading North on World Dr going into EPCOT has a modified traffic pattern from 4:30-7:15am, but it is not closed. So when the buses stop running, there is still access to the finish line for normal drivers, taxis, or ride share vehicles. I'd imagine the traffic will be difficult, and you should leave earlier than you expect.

Yes, you are able to take an uber to the finish line. This shows the 10k road closures for MW 2022:

https://guide.rundisney.events/transportation/
View attachment 629092

From this you can see that heading North on World Dr going into EPCOT has a modified traffic pattern from 4:30-7:15am, but it is not closed. So when the buses stop running, there is still access to the finish line for normal drivers, taxis, or ride share vehicles. I'd imagine the traffic will be difficult, and you should leave earlier than you expect.
oh man. this stressed me out so i booked us a room at Dolphin just in case. can decide as the trip gets closer!

So, I don't even know how feasible this is, but I was curious to see if anyone would be interested in doing a group lunch at Space 220 on Sunday after the half marathon?

I was thinking of trying for a 2pm reservation when my booking window opens. Unfortunately, the need for a total head count would preclude lurkers from joining. :) I should know on the 19th whether I could get the reservation or not.

Newbie training question: Princess Half will be my first half marathon. I started a training plan through Nike Run Club that is a 14 week plan but I started it with a little cushion time so I really had like 15.5 weeks to do it. This week has gotten a little off track with work/family so I haven’t gotten in as many runs as I was supposed to. My question is, should I continue on the week I’m on until I get through each run as scheduled or just move on to the next week? I’m planning on my long run tomorrow so if I stick with the current week schedule it would be a 2nd 10k or if I move to “next week” it would be an 8-mile.
Hope that makes sense. 🤔

Newbie training question: Princess Half will be my first half marathon. I started a training plan through Nike Run Club that is a 14 week plan but I started it with a little cushion time so I really had like 15.5 weeks to do it. This week has gotten a little off track with work/family so I haven’t gotten in as many runs as I was supposed to. My question is, should I continue on the week I’m on until I get through each run as scheduled or just move on to the next week? I’m planning on my long run tomorrow so if I stick with the current week schedule it would be a 2nd 10k or if I move to “next week” it would be an 8-mile.
Hope that makes sense. 🤔
I am not an expert but if it was me I would do the 2nd 10k so the mileage increases as intended.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter