Proof WDW inflates wait times during off peak season

Right so the answer said, "Fewer CMs = money saved". But if staffing is the same whether the vehicle is loaded or not, then no money is saved. So the goal is just to have people standing in line at Pirates and make the wait time for Pirates longer to keep them from making the wait time at Space Mountain go up?
It depends on the ride. On some rides where the queue separates into 2 tracks they can save CM/money by having only one side open.

That’s how it always was in Disneyland during slow periods. We’d go for a few days the day after Labor Day when the park reverted to early closures and very few people in the park.

Disney studies and analyzes everything. From the number of steps between trash cans to the amount of time a guest will tolerate waiting in line, they enforce these details. This even applies to the FP/Standby quotas for attractions...there’s a range of the number of FPs holders allowed before 10 Standby guests can “merge”...and that’s also based on park capacity.
I understand that they analyze everything, I just don't understand the end goal. By keeping people in line at Pirates and other rides where they send empty ride vehicles, does that make guests happier? Is it just a matter of wishing to keep people off the walkways or keeping E-ticket lines with low waiting times? It just seems like something that causes more guest dissatisfaction than satisfaction that is gained through ripple effects.

It depends on the ride. On some rides where the queue separates into 2 tracks they can save CM/money by having only one side open.
Yup, I get that. I think the specific post I replied to was regarding attractions where they are just sending empty ride vehicles and not shutting down tracks.

I had read a while ago that they want to "even out" the wait times so there is no busy season and no slow season. So no matter when you go, you will wait the same amount of time for a ride and the crowds will be equal all year. I guess they achieve that by intentionally slowing down rides to increase waits during slow times and utilizing all tracks and filling all boats during busy times to cut down the wait times.

I understand that they analyze everything, I just don't understand the end goal. By keeping people in line at Pirates and other rides where they send empty ride vehicles, does that make guests happier? Is it just a matter of wishing to keep people off the walkways or keeping E-ticket lines with low waiting times? It just seems like something that causes more guest dissatisfaction than satisfaction that is gained through ripple effects.
It also seems to run counter to everything we know about the stated goal of FP+, which was to increase profits by keeping people out of lines and thus in the restaurants and shops.

I had read a while ago that they want to "even out" the wait times so there is no busy season and no slow season. So no matter when you go, you will wait the same amount of time for a ride and the crowds will be equal all year. I guess they achieve that by intentionally slowing down rides to increase waits during slow times and utilizing all tracks and filling all boats during busy times to cut down the wait times.
Exactly this, further evidenced by today's announcement about date based ticket pricing...

From the Disney Parks Blog announcement:
"So why are we making these changes? As our parks have increased in popularity, there are more and more guests who wish to experience our world-class attractions. Introducing date-based tickets and pricing will allow us to better distribute attendance throughout the year so that we can continue to improve and deliver a great experience."
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ion-for-vacation-planning-date-based-tickets/

We just returned too (9/8 - 9/15), and I didn't experience any of that.

The only long lines were with characters (Jasmine/Genie at MNSSHP, Russell and Dug at AK).

I hope this is untrue.

Wouldn’t they make more money if people weren’t waiting in line and instead out and about spending money eating or shopping? I thought that was a big reason they started FP+. Less time in lines = more opportunities to shop.

And does management think people are going to be happy campers wanting to buy merchandise and spend the big bucks when this nonsense is going on?

Seems to me that if people see that they are going to be waiting in longs lines anyways, why bother taking the kids out of school? May as well just wait until they are on break.

And does management think people are going to be happy campers wanting to buy merchandise and spend the big bucks when this nonsense is going on?

Seems to me that if people see that they are going to be waiting in longs lines anyways, why bother taking the kids out of school? May as well just wait until they are on break.

After reading about the new ticket tiering, i think that's exactly what they hope. "Go ahead, come at peak times at peak prices, or, come during off season times and prices but enjoy peak waits".

The "MAGIC"of Disney is disappearing rapidly.

Exactly this, further evidenced by today's announcement about date based ticket pricing...

From the Disney Parks Blog announcement:
"So why are we making these changes? As our parks have increased in popularity, there are more and more guests who wish to experience our world-class attractions. Introducing date-based tickets and pricing will allow us to better distribute attendance throughout the year so that we can continue to improve and deliver a great experience."
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ion-for-vacation-planning-date-based-tickets/

I am just not buying that they are deliberately running rides at lower capacity to prolong guest wait times and distribute the crowd in the park
1. It runs counter to keeping people spending money
2. That tinfoil is just a little too thick for me to wear
3. Even if the upper brass thought this way, I doubt you could train all the CM's to do it. Much less to do it effectively. It would be almost impossible in fact.
4. It's too risky for exactly this reason. If it got out, it would anger a lot of people with not enough risk to gain.

I think what they MEANT by that quote is that they hoped to even out the crowds naturally so that there wouldn't be a busy time and a lull time - i.e. constant level crowds; not constant level waits. This is nothing new - they have been manipulating crowds with deal prices for decades. This is just another tool in their toolbelt for doing the same.

The staffing is the same whether each vehicle is loaded or one of three is loaded.

It’s the standardization of wait times and spreading out of the guests that is the goal.
I don't think that's accurate. Even if we "see" extra cms standing around; it doesn't mean it's the same number as when they run at full capacity. Rides like pirates, thunder, space etc. it's easier to see the missing cms - they shut a whole side down, so no one manning that line or boarding those ride vehicles. I cannot imagine that Disney just pays the same amount of cms to just stand around while they close half the ride.

I think what they are asking is do you need fewer CMs to operate rides like RnR or Pirates when you are just sending trains and boats empty? Isn't staffing the same?
No, on a ride like pirates, thunder, space, iasw; it's easier to see as they shut a whole side down. They don't have to have a CM work that line or load that side, so you can clearly see the lesser need for the full staffed cms there. On rides like tea cups, if they only have 1 person manning the ride (taking count, letting ppl in etc., that person may only be able to get so many ppl in before the time runs out and they have to run the ride ( We had this explained to us by the single working CM at tea cups on mnsshp night as there was a l9ng line, but they weren't filling all the cups.) The CM explained that she was on a timer and that she had to run it in a certain amount of time.

Longer you wait in lines more time and money you spend in the park??

I’m sure they have loads of analytical data of wait times in relation to dollars spent in food/retail/etc.

Sucks that they place CMs in that position to intentionally slow ride loads and having to deal with customer complaints.

If this is true of course.

I don't think that's accurate. Even if we "see" extra cms standing around; it doesn't mean it's the same number as when they run at full capacity. Rides like pirates, thunder, space etc. it's easier to see the missing cms - they shut a whole side down, so no one manning that line or boarding those ride vehicles. I cannot imagine that Disney just pays the same amount of cms to just stand around while they close half the ride.
The concern is that ride vehicles go out without any riders. Whether it’s only one out of three boats on one side going out filled with guests, it’s still the same # of CMs to man that one side that’s operating.

No one stated they saw CMs manning a side that wasn’t operating. Disney calculates wait times and runs accordingly. If they didn’t do this, then every vehicle would be filled and loaded non-stop which hasn’t been the case at WDW but has been the mode of operation at DL.

The concern is that ride vehicles go out without any riders. Whether it’s only one out of three boats on one side going out filled with guests, it’s still the same # of CMs to man that one side that’s operating.

No one stated they saw CMs manning a side that wasn’t operating. Disney calculates wait times and runs accordingly. If they didn’t do this, then every vehicle would be filled and loaded non-stop which hasn’t been the case at WDW but has been the mode of operation at DL.
Right, but that's what I was explaining. I don't see how they couldn't be saving money when every other boat on pirates goes through empty because they only have 1 side of the line going (they've shut down the other side.) I just don't see any other reason for that except to save on labor and it's clear there are not cms running that non existent line or loading that side that they're not allowing anyone to enter, so there are not the same number of cms. Even on rides that don't have separate sides that they shut down (like the Tea cup example I gave), if it's not running at capacity it has to be because they don't have as many CMs running the ride etc.

This makes the most since

I did awhile back when it was brought up but I refused to believe the all mighty Disney could do wrong ;) But either way, I am a slave to the Mouse and will continue to go and give them all my money :sad2:
Bolded for emphasis with the way the pricing structure is headed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter