Purchase Now or Wait

deannaf87

DIS Veteran
We've pretty much decided we are going to buy 200 points direct at VGF within the next 6 months (anticpating it selling out in a year, from what I've read). We'll be staying at GF over Labor Day and could purchase then with the current discount. We'd be a new member, so total price looks like $40,256. If we bought now we'd finance $15,000 and have it paid off within the year (at the most). If we bought 4-6 months from now, we'd pay the whole thing in cash upfront.

Are the current incentives worth getting the financing now or in your experience will there be a similar discount approx 4-6 months from now? I know no one can tell the future but it seems like they run specials often. Just not sure if the current special is abnormally good.

Thanks!

There are two ways to look at this:
1. Simple math..... Buy now at x + finance fees = y vs. Buy in 6 month at z.... (could be better incentives, might be worst)
Or
2. Buy now because you will be able start using your membership extra for you trip later this month, and start booking vacation 6 months earlier.

Right now you know what the incentives are. Next month they change... to what ? who knows?

What will the incentives be in 4 to 6 months? That is a risk you have to be willing to take.

If you can in fact pay this off in a year, you are looking at $5000 in interest? give or take.....

The incentives right now right now at about 40 dollars per point (i think) or about $8000

Ultimately come down to a personal decision, I tend to buy DVC on a whim, when I want it or Im bored......

You need to make your own decisions

Do you have a Disney Visa? You can put money on that and get 6 months , 0%. Ask DVC if they will split your payments over 90 days and that could give you time to pay it off!
Yep. Just purchased my VDH points in May using my Disney Visa card. I always wondered how that work. Chase makes it easy. You just need to select the monthly penalty interest free option when making your credit card payment.

Couple things I learned:

1 I had to call Chase and request my credit limit be increased
2 Its on you to pay extra each month so that you don’t have one huge bill in 6 months to pay off

Yep. Just purchased my VDH points in May using my Disney Visa card. I always wondered how that work. Chase makes it easy. You just need to select the monthly penalty interest free option when making your credit card payment.

Couple things I learned:

1 I had to call Chase and request my credit limit be increased
2 Its on you to pay extra each month so that you don’t have one huge bill in 6 months to pay off
Thank you! This was my next item to research (how the 6 months no interest works with Chase). I always pay off my bill in full each month, so have never looked into it.

So weird I'm seeing this post, my husband and I spent a couple hours on the phone today with a DVC rep, we are getting ready to pull the trigger on 200 points also at VGF!! The current promotions/incentives go till Sept 11th, so I will have to make up my mind soon. I do wonder if a better incentive is coming down the road, it is such a gamble.

98% sure we are doing it BUT weighing the 5 year finance option vs 10 years, my husband says do the 10 year option but pay the amount monthly to pay it off in 5 years that way if for some reason we have a financial strain at some point we are not in a horrible position, thought???

So weird I'm seeing this post, my husband and I spent a couple hours on the phone today with a DVC rep, we are getting ready to pull the trigger on 200 points also at VGF!! The current promotions/incentives go till Sept 11th, so I will have to make up my mind soon. I do wonder if a better incentive is coming down the road, it is such a gamble.

98% sure we are doing it BUT weighing the 5 year finance option vs 10 years, my husband says do the 10 year option but pay the amount monthly to pay it off in 5 years that way if for some reason we have a financial strain at some point we are not in a horrible position, thought???
I’m buying 150 and writing the paperwork on 9/9 (2 days before current incentives expire) then seeing what the new incentives are on 9/12.. I can pick the better option at that point. Just something to think about

As far as your financing question, I always select the longest term with a rate I feel ok about then paying it off as planned. Just be ready to hear posts telling you that financing a DVC purchase is a bad idea. I’ve financed all of mine, and so thankful I did!!! I am a strong advocate of “you do you” just ignore them 😇

Last edited:
We've pretty much decided we are going to buy 200 points direct at VGF within the next 6 months (anticpating it selling out in a year, from what I've read). We'll be staying at GF over Labor Day and could purchase then with the current discount. We'd be a new member, so total price looks like $40,256. If we bought now we'd finance $15,000 and have it paid off within the year (at the most). If we bought 4-6 months from now, we'd pay the whole thing in cash upfront.

Are the current incentives worth getting the financing now or in your experience will there be a similar discount approx 4-6 months from now? I know no one can tell the future but it seems like they run specials often. Just not sure if the current special is abnormally good.

Thanks!
I applied for the Wells Fargo Active Cash card just to buy a direct VGF contract. It gives you 0% interest for 15 months, unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases, no annual fee, and $200 bonus for spending $500 in the first 3 months. I got instant approval and the card arrived within a week. They were also very generous with the credit limit. Just another option to think about!

If you can do that you will be happy,
if for some reason you can’t you get some breathing room, and will still be happy

As long as the month hasn't passed yet you can. That leaves you with either a September, October or December use year if you want 2022 points.
And I wouldn’t be able to bank those points because it’s too late in the 2022 year, right?

Thank you! This was my next item to research (how the 6 months no interest works with Chase). I always pay off my bill in full each month, so have never looked into it.
Chase will move credit between two cards if you do not have the ability to increase the limit on the Disney visa. We had enough credit between the Disney and our standard Chase, that we moved some from standar Chase to Disney to pay the full amount.

You have to set up the auto payment to interest savings payment and make sure the charge runs as a pre-interest payment. Mine automatically did. I did have to set up the interest savings payment rather than paying full. That pays the entire credit card off except the free interest charge. That one it pays a small amount until the last two months where it pays off 1/2 each month. Alternatively, you can go in and just pay off your other charges each month manually. Then pay the full amount at the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter