Purchase Now or Wait

IDK how DVC can determine Magical Beginnings needs to be done 4 days prior to the start of a UY and then say they cannot sell you points within that UY. I would ask your guide if you can speak with his/her supervisor to get that straightened out.

I am sure if someone with a September UY wanted to add on more points they would be available. If September is what you really want I would politely go up the chain or find a new guide.
I would both go up the chain AND seek a new guide.

Yep. Just purchased my VDH points in May using my Disney Visa card. I always wondered how that work. Chase makes it easy. You just need to select the monthly penalty interest free option when making your credit card payment.

Couple things I learned:

1 I had to call Chase and request my credit limit be increased
2 Its on you to pay extra each month so that you don’t have one huge bill in 6 months to pay off
I'm kind of confused on how the 6 months interest free payments work. If i select the "interest saving balance" payment option it pays my other charges? Then i would pay extra monthly to pay off the interest free portion or how is that handled?

I'm kind of confused on how the 6 months interest free payments work. If i select the "interest saving balance" payment option it pays my other charges? Then i would pay extra monthly to pay off the interest free portion or how is that handled?
Yep, I had that same confusion as well.

Interest savings balance pays off your regular monthly balance so as to avoid incurring any interest charges. So if you purchase DVC on your card, it will sit on the card balance interest free for 6 months. It will be up to you to pay extra or wait till the 6 month mark and then pay in full.

As an example our VDH purchase was a little over $30k. In addition to the regular monthly interest free automatic payment, a week later each month I’ve been paying an extra $5k. Im not saying mine is the best approach but this is how I’m doing it.

Yep, I had that same confusion as well.

Interest savings balance pays off your regular monthly balance so as to avoid incurring any interest charges. So if you purchase DVC on your card, it will sit on the card balance interest free for 6 months. It will be up to you to pay extra or wait till the 6 month mark and then pay in full.

As an example our VDH purchase was a little over $30k. In addition to the regular monthly interest free automatic payment, a week later each month I’ve been paying an extra $5k. Im not saying mine is the best approach but this is how I’m doing it.
Ahh - ok. It helped to look at a statement that breaks it down. I usually pay down my bill throughout the month, so looks like I'll need to wait until the statement closes to make sure I'm not paying down the interest free amount first. Thanks for the help!

Ahh - ok. It helped to look at a statement that breaks it down. I usually pay down my bill throughout the month, so looks like I'll need to wait until the statement closes to make sure I'm not paying down the interest free amount first. Thanks for the help!

My understanding is it will always attach to the balance that has higher interest charges first.
When our balance was there last year and I used the card a few times…not our main card…and paid the charge of before billing, it was applied to that and the extra to my DVC.

Did the deal today! Total cost with closing ended up being $34,151.85 taking into consideration the Magical Beginnings buy back. Still to sign paperwork and process final payments on 9/1, but have access and my card and everything already! Thanks to all for great advice and information. I would have been lost without it!

Did the deal today! Total cost with closing ended up being $34,151.85 taking into consideration the Magical Beginnings buy back. Still to sign paperwork and process final payments on 9/1, but have access and my card and everything already! Thanks to all for great advice and information. I would have been lost without it!
Congratulations! Here’s to decades of fantastic trips with your 200 points :banana:

Welcome home! I remember that scary feeling of "what did I just do with all this money?!?!?!". But once you get a few trips in, some extra magic hours, DVC lounge, etc. you'll be glad you did.

Anyone had issues with the charge hitting your credit card as pending and then disappearing (my available balance went up too like the charge is gone). Super weird. Disney please take my money!

Anyone had issues with the charge hitting your credit card as pending and then disappearing (my available balance went up too like the charge is gone). Super weird. Disney please take my money!
I didn’t have that happen on any of my payments 🤔 I’d call the CC company and make sure it actually went through

I didn’t have that happen on any of my payments 🤔 I’d call the CC company and make sure it actually went through
I called the CC company and they said it was approved and should post tomorrow. Super weird it is not in pending and my available credit is not accounting for it, but we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I called the CC company and they said it was approved and should post tomorrow. Super weird it is not in pending and my available credit is not accounting for it, but we'll see what happens tomorrow.
I had a $1 charge pending for a day or two before it was ultimately replaced with the correct purchase amount.

It will probably will post tomorrow. I've had this happen with refunds on Chase. Pending for a week, disappeared, but then posted next day. Banks are weird!

I did have a CC payment issue back in 2019 with a DVC contract. DVC put out a 2nd authorization for the same amount. I noticed it and before I could even call Member Accounting contacted me that it was a system issue, one would drop off, and only one payment would post. They were correct.

Yep. Just purchased my VDH points in May using my Disney Visa card. I always wondered how that work. Chase makes it easy. You just need to select the monthly penalty interest free option when making your credit card payment.

Couple things I learned:

1 I had to call Chase and request my credit limit be increased
2 Its on you to pay extra each month so that you don’t have one huge bill in 6 months to pay off
Definitely doing this!!!

So weird I'm seeing this post, my husband and I spent a couple hours on the phone today with a DVC rep, we are getting ready to pull the trigger on 200 points also at VGF!! The current promotions/incentives go till Sept 11th, so I will have to make up my mind soon. I do wonder if a better incentive is coming down the road, it is such a gamble.

98% sure we are doing it BUT weighing the 5 year finance option vs 10 years, my husband says do the 10 year option but pay the amount monthly to pay it off in 5 years that way if for some reason we have a financial strain at some point we are not in a horrible position, thought???
I think 8 years might be the sweet spot, you get a lower interest rate (same as 5 year), or i could be wrong and that is resale only?

And I wouldn’t be able to bank those points because it’s too late in the 2022 year, right?
They'll allow you to bank them since you're buying them direct. After this the deadline will apply.
Probably, but be aware that the guide may initially offer you a use year that won’t have 2022 points - ex. a Feb. use year & will likely have to get approval for a use year that still has 2022 points (Sept., Oct., & Nov.) see this recent thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/vgf-150-pts-direct-no-october-use-years.3924396/
DVD will let you bank late as a new purchaser.
Curious about this... My guide was pushing June, but is that because my current contract is June, & i'm not able to purchase 50 unless it is an add-on.? (meaning the only way to get a new/different use year is if it is was 100 or more points?)

Curious about this... My guide was pushing June, but is that because my current contract is June, & i'm not able to purchase 50 unless it is an add-on.? (meaning the only way to get a new/different use year is if it is was 100 or more points?)
Correct, you must purchase at least 100 points minimum for a new membership. A new UY would be a new membership. You could add two 50 point contracts to your June UY, but if you wanted a Dec UY you need to buy 100 points minimum in one contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter