Purchased my airfare for Alaska yesterday.

darnheather

DIS Veteran
Decided to splash out and go business class for the first time in my life. My sister's ticket was only a few hundred dollars different so for me to get that upgrade for her was easy. For me it was more but I'll only turn 50 and graduate from law school once. Here's hoping I'll only take the bar once as well!

We are traveling from the East Coast so the flights are long. I think I'm honestly most excited about choosing my meals instead of just having Biscoff cookies tossed at me. LOL

Also decided to fly in two days early in order to recoup from the long flights (I don't get in until 1030pm) and buy some Canadian souvenirs. We'll also stay an extra night after so that we don't have to do a red eye. One of the flights given to me was a redeye followed by a seven hour layover! After doing a red eye from California I swore never again. I'll find us an airport hotel for that night. Staying at the YMCA before which looks super nice and was recommended to me here.

Cruise on Princess. I would have liked to have done a train add-on but the price was getting unreasonable. My sister has never been anywhere with snow so I'm taking her up the glacier.
Alaska was absolutely beautiful and the cruise we took was fabulous. We went Alaska air from Boston to Seattle. It wasn‘t bad. We spent a night in a hotel and boarded around noon. We did the 6 day inner passage cruise on Celebrity. She’s going to love it!

Good for you! Flying up front is a real treat. We did an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity way back in 1999 and really enjoyed it. Did the helicopter tour to a glacier too and that was so cool.

We've only flown business class on United, but the new Polaris pods are pretty sweet! We just booked airfare for our trip to South Africa next year. These will be the longest flights we've ever taken...15-16 hours. For the two of us it was 14K into Cape Town direct from Newark, and back from Johannesburg to Newark. We decided to use the FF miles we had with United, and that brought our cost down to $4,500 out of pocket. But this is a bucket list trip and we want to be rested when we arrive. Premium Plus is nice too though....it's like domestic business class...could definitely nap well in those seats.

I loved my Alaska cruise. Make sure you take advantage of every minute in port and get immersed in nature.

I've done first class on a few shorter flights (up to 3 hours), and it's really nice. If the price is within a few hundred for a longer flight, I think it's worth it.

I also did the big front seats on a 5 hour Spirit flight. Those were only $100 and worth every penny.

Good for you! Flying up front is a real treat. We did an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity way back in 1999 and really enjoyed it. Did the helicopter tour to a glacier too and that was so cool.

We've only flown business class on United, but the new Polaris pods are pretty sweet! We just booked airfare for our trip to South Africa next year. These will be the longest flights we've ever taken...15-16 hours. For the two of us it was 14K into Cape Town direct from Newark, and back from Johannesburg to Newark. We decided to use the FF miles we had with United, and that brought our cost down to $4,500 out of pocket. But this is a bucket list trip and we want to be rested when we arrive. Premium Plus is nice too though....it's like domestic business class...could definitely nap well in those seats.

I have the helicopter ride booked and I am so excited for it.

I absolutely think that price is worth it for your upcoming trip. Sat in the back row flying from Tokyo to DFW and it was not fun. I'm hoping to go back to Japan someday and go first class.

I absolutely think that price is worth it for your upcoming trip. Sat in the back row flying from Tokyo to DFW and it was not fun. I'm hoping to go back to Japan someday and go first class.
The longest I’ve done so far is only 7 hours. I’m pretty sure I would not do well on a really long direct flight. Back row from Florida was awful. The toilet smell and the rough ride was bad. I try to get near the middle where you don’t feel the motion so much but it’s not always an option.

we just got back from the British Isle cruise a few months ago--while checking our resverations a few days before we left I scrolled down a bit after all our info
only to find a deal to upgrade to business first class!!!
it was 700$ for the 2 of us

so worth the cost--I didnt tell DH until we got off the bus in Chicago
it was so fun watching his face when I directed him to the business class check in
the lounge was great--so quite and peacefull
we were planning on leaving on the noon bus getting there around 230 but all of a sudden hes talking about wanting to leave on the next bus
I wanted as much time in the lounge as possible so I finally conviniced him
slept so good too since the seats roll out into beds
youll enjoy every minute of the flight

enjoy you wont regret it
oh and good luck with the bar exam

Since the pandemic we've only flown business, but some premium plus flights are likely coming for future trips. We don't have any status and we don't have the flexibility yet to book flights when great deals or upgrades with a reasonable amount of points are available. When that happens, I'll feel fortunate to be in PP, but will look forlornly at those sleeping pods up front, because it'll be tough going back.

I would like to...at least once in my life, fly true First Class. The American carriers don't offer it any longer, but a lot of international carriers still do. Emirates, Singapore and Cathay Pacific all have real "next level" first class cabins. I believe it's Singapore that has not just a seat in your "suite" (that feels like a private room)...but also a dedicated bed. If you get adjoining suites, the wall comes down and it creates a "double bed" mega suite. Each passenger is given a 30 minute window to use the *shower* on board. And the meals are served in courses, on demand. It's really something. I do wonder what happens if you hit turbulence when in the shower, but I imagine you get some kind of briefing before going in...lol.

I would like to...at least once in my life, fly true First Class. The American carriers don't offer it any longer, but a lot of international carriers still do. Emirates, Singapore and Cathay Pacific all have real "next level" first class cabins. I believe it's Singapore that has not just a seat in your "suite" (that feels like a private room)...but also a dedicated bed. If you get adjoining suites, the wall comes down and it creates a "double bed" mega suite. Each passenger is given a 30 minute window to use the *shower* on board. And the meals are served in courses, on demand. It's really something. I do wonder what happens if you hit turbulence when in the shower, but I imagine you get some kind of briefing before going in...lol.
Same. I've always wanted to have a full class trip including airfare and hotels. The hotels will forever be out of my league but I hope one day to at least experience some of it. For the Japan trip I'm dreaming of staying at least two nights in the Disney Hotel that is in the park itself which is really quite fancy.

American carriers do offer first class. You just have to book the right plane like a 777-300 and not a 777-200. It's not going to be like Emirates or Cathay, but a little better than business. You get pajamas and a seat that swivels to look out the window.

I think it would be cool to experience Emirates or Singapore if you could get an award flight. There are some posters on the "I Love credit cards thread? that have experienced it with credit card awards, It looks like a pretty amazing experience if money is no object or you can swing an award flight. I don't feel like I've ever needed to take a shower on a long-haul flight, but saying you took a shower on the plane would be a good story to tell.

Same. I've always wanted to have a full class trip including airfare and hotels. The hotels will forever be out of my league but I hope one day to at least experience some of it. For the Japan trip I'm dreaming of staying at least two nights in the Disney Hotel that is in the park itself which is really quite fancy.
I'm currently planning Japan for 2025 or 2026 and working on the airline miles to fly business. I think we are going to Alaska next year at least that's my current plan. We took two trips to Europe this year so I'm thinking of staying closer to home next year and spending less money. YVR is a 3-hour flight for us.

American carriers do offer first class. You just have to book the right plane like a 777-300 and not a 777-200. It's not going to be like Emirates or Cathay, but a little better than business. You get pajamas and a seat that swivels to look out the window.

I think it would be cool to experience Emirates or Singapore if you could get an award flight. There are some posters on the "I Love credit cards thread? that have experienced it with credit card awards, It looks like a pretty amazing experience if money is no object or you can swing an award flight. I don't feel like I've ever needed to take a shower on a long-haul flight, but saying you took a shower on the plane would be a good story to tell.

Ahhh, ok...I didn't know that AA was still offering a First Class cabin. I know they're phasing them out though. I've read that nobody wants to pay for it because it's too similar to their new business class option. Delta has "Delta One" and United has "Polaris". I remembered that we did fly on one other airline in business, and that was on AA to Puerto Rico in 2019. Even though the flight was only 4 hours it was a big plane and we had lie flat seats, which was cool. And I know the food was better than United (not hard to beat them in that department).

There are so many odd rules with all of this stuff as well, at least with United. You can fly on a United Plane with Polaris pods, like we did to Hawaii and back....but it's not a "Polaris flight"....meaning the food isn't as good ( can confirm...lol). And...even though you're flying 10/11 hours on those flights, the extra bedding isn't offered, even though the flight back was a red eye. And...you can't get into the Polaris lounge. That's only for international flights with Polaris. But not for international flights with "business"...which is the old business seats on older planes without lie flat.

Ahhh, ok...I didn't know that AA was still offering a First Class cabin. I know they're phasing them out though. I've read that nobody wants to pay for it because it's too similar to their new business class option. Delta has "Delta One" and United has "Polaris". I remembered that we did fly on one other airline in business, and that was on AA to Puerto Rico in 2019. Even though the flight was only 4 hours it was a big plane and we had lie flat seats, which was cool. And I know the food was better than United (not hard to beat them in that department).

There are so many odd rules with all of this stuff as well, at least with United. You can fly on a United Plane with Polaris pods, like we did to Hawaii and back....but it's not a "Polaris flight"....meaning the food isn't as good ( can confirm...lol). And...even though you're flying 10/11 hours on those flights, the extra bedding isn't offered, even though the flight back was a red eye. And...you can't get into the Polaris lounge. That's only for international flights with Polaris. But not for international flights with "business"...which is the old business seats on older planes without lie flat.
First and business are pretty similar. I'm guessing most of the seats are filled by upgrades from business to first. The cabin only has 8 seats and I assume the service is better. When I've flown business on a 777-200 the service has been great on the 777-300 not so great. We flew premium economy to Rome. If you book early and get the bulkhead seats with just the two seats it's actually pretty nice. Food is meh. If you are in the middle rows with four seats I don't think it's worth the upcharge over coach.

A few months ago someone started a thread on one of the boards asking you to choose between upgraded flights or an upgraded hotel. I would always choose flights. It's pretty easy to find a good, clean, hotel for not a lot of money.

First and business are pretty similar. I'm guessing most of the seats are filled by upgrades from business to first. The cabin only has 8 seats and I assume the service is better. When I've flown business on a 777-200 the service has been great on the 777-300 not so great. We flew premium economy to Rome. If you book early and get the bulkhead seats with just the two seats it's actually pretty nice. Food is meh. If you are in the middle rows with four seats I don't think it's worth the upcharge over coach.

A few months ago someone started a thread on one of the boards asking you to choose between upgraded flights or an upgraded hotel. I would always choose flights. It's pretty easy to find a good, clean, hotel for not a lot of money.

That's what I read....the nobody wants to pay for First on AA and so it's employees and upgraded frequent fliers with status. I could definitely do premium plus on United for a flight to Europe. I think the "premium economy" on United is the same basic economy seat with a few inches more of legroom. We'd be willing to pay twice the basic economy fare to get into the premium plus seats, or use miles to upgrade.

We're not very good at the points system. I think the idea must be to fly mid-week...or choose a place to go based on a good deal with points and build the trip that way with the flight coming first. For our trip to SA we spent a bit over 4K out of pocket...and nearly 500K points, which saved us $10,000 on Polaris there and back. I'd pick the upgrade on a flight too...and just hope that we were in a 3 or 4 star hotel ;). Flying business takes a lot of the stress of travel out of the mix. You know you'll arrive pretty well rested. It's a comfortable ride and you don't have to worry about overhead bin space...etc. For the OP it's a great way to start off what I believe is a celebratory trip for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter