Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

I know I’m not in charge of asking the questions but I’m curious if anyone else is growing a garden? We have 2 cucumber plants, 4 tomato plants, and a pepper plant. I find a lot of peace and quiet time just going out to water.
I'm terrible at giving advice so I'm skipping that question and moving on to this one...lol

No garden for me this year but we've had them in the past and I loved it. It really was so relaxing working the garden and watering it every day. I also enjoyed being outside a lot more when I had the garden then when I don't have one going. Maybe next year we'll start another one...:blush:

We went out to dinner tonight with our other family(best friends and their adult kids...:lovestruc). Its our first time going out around here so I was a little nervous how things would go. They called ahead for a reservation so they were already seated when we arrived, that was nice because it seemed like other people waited a long time to be seated. We had to split up between two tables because of social distancing, I guess if we would have sat at a large table, they wouldn't be able to seat anyone else near us. It was easier to space out between two smaller tables than one large one, I guess. It worked out, the adults and the youngest(teen) got to sit at one table and the other "kids" at another. It was nice to be out together again, we usually spend a lot of time together so we missed our "family time"....last time we went to dinner was mid March right before everything shut down....which feels like a lifetime ago.

I know I’m not in charge of asking the questions but I’m curious if anyone else is growing a garden? We have 2 cucumber plants, 4 tomato plants, and a pepper plant. I find a lot of peace and quiet time just going out to water.

I'm sure Tina is glad for a break in thinking up questions--so ask away! We have a garden. We have had every year since we bought this house in 2003. Garden started off huge, but got smaller as we figured out what grew well and what didn't. I start my tomato plants from seeds I preserve from the year before. I started 72 plants this year, 36 of them (6 different varieties) are in our garden and I gave the rest away to people who wanted to try growing them this year. Also have 2 different kinds of pickling cukes, and 5 kinds of squash (a mixed blend, zucchini, summer squash, gray zucchini (kuta) and acorn squash. And we made 4 teepees for Kentucky Wonder Beans. All are growing well, and we have quite a few tomato plants that are just setting some flowers! I also have a stand hubby made and I have 6 rectangular planters on it with herbs (catnip, cilantro, basil, parsley, chives and oregano), and a separate big pot with rosemary growing in it. I water early in the morning and it's so peaceful out there. Sun just coming up, birds just starting to sing. One of my favorite few moments of the year. Good luck with your garden Grumpy Gal!

Wow, you were busy this morning, Lynxstch! I'm glad you got some needed things and hope you did relax this afternoon :)

Nycgrrl, I'm also glad that you and your husband got to take a morning work, positive thing to do :) Hope you enjoyed your berries and dinner, too.

Today was cool again here, most welcome especially with heat to come during the week ahead.

Saturday extra gratitude:

A card yesterday from a friend with the lovely truth that in each day there is something to give thanks--Amen to that. Each day indeed is a gift from God.

Putting together a small ::MinnieMo Minnie Mouse jigsaw puzzle. I may puzzle glue and save it.

A kind message from a dear friend.

Tina, prayers all is well with you in IN.

flyingdumbo127-- I just wanted to say thank you. You always have the sweetest posts, and you are always so nice and kind to everyone on this thread. I for one, always look forward to what you post :grouphug: !

Good morning.

Think I totally skipped posting yesterday. Friday we met again with the real estate and the office is now officially on the market. Then that night we had a bunch of veggies and dip as we sat on the porch before dinner so I wasn't super hungry. I had defrosted turkey/spinach/feta burgers for dinner so cooked them and made DH a single serve mac and cheese. Then enjoyed some spectacular thunder and lightning.

Saturday we got up and mowed the grass before it got too hot. Some grocery errands in afternoon with DH. Carry out dinner from a local microbrewery for dinner. Then watched a few episodes of Space Force on Netflix. We find it entertaining.

DS group texted with DD, DH, and me, pictures of what's going on in DC and talked about how he is doing, when he expects time off, etc. No one wanted to be asking a lot of questions but we all wanted to know.

I have had mixed success with gardens over the years. Had one with the kids years ago. Then had dogs and kids and bunnies I couldn't keep out and gave up. Had one in a new location next to our shed, edged with bricks again for a couple of years. It is now a storage place for left over cider blocks, except for an area about 8X4 feet. That is this year's attempt at gardening again. I have 4 tomato plants surrounded by 8 marigold plants. Then 3 rows where I planted flower seeds. So the answer after that wordy reply is yes. I saw so many pictures on Facebook of everyone's planting this year, I was inspired.

@lynxstch I am impressed.

Gratitudes:
Text from DS
Garden is actually growing
Ability to use our so nice new porch

Good morning.

Think I totally skipped posting yesterday. Friday we met again with the real estate and the office is now officially on the market. Then that night we had a bunch of veggies and dip as we sat on the porch before dinner so I wasn't super hungry. I had defrosted turkey/spinach/feta burgers for dinner so cooked them and made DH a single serve mac and cheese. Then enjoyed some spectacular thunder and lightning.

Saturday we got up and mowed the grass before it got too hot. Some grocery errands in afternoon with DH. Carry out dinner from a local microbrewery for dinner. Then watched a few episodes of Space Force on Netflix. We find it entertaining.

DS group texted with DD, DH, and me, pictures of what's going on in DC and talked about how he is doing, when he expects time off, etc. No one wanted to be asking a lot of questions but we all wanted to know.

I have had mixed success with gardens over the years. Had one with the kids years ago. Then had dogs and kids and bunnies I couldn't keep out and gave up. Had one in a new location next to our shed, edged with bricks again for a couple of years. It is now a storage place for left over cider blocks, except for an area about 8X4 feet. That is this year's attempt at gardening again. I have 4 tomato plants surrounded by 8 marigold plants. Then 3 rows where I planted flower seeds. So the answer after that wordy reply is yes. I saw so many pictures on Facebook of everyone's planting this year, I was inspired.

@lynxstch I am impressed.

Gratitudes:
Text from DS
Garden is actually growing
Ability to use our so nice new porch

Thank you so much for the kind words Breezy_Carol! To the bolded--we took advice from our neighbor on our first garden in this house, and put up a 4 foot high fence all around. We have deer, raccoons, rabbits, bunnies, and once a bear! Neighbors a few years ago (on the other side of us), had a lovely garden, with some nice tomato plants. He carefully watched those plants as they got leaves, then flowers, then tomatoes, and apparently so did the deer. As soon as the first 2 big ripe tomatoe's appeared, the deer showed up and had a lovely snack of them. Maybe he should have listened to me when I suggested a fence? LOL!

Thanks for a new question:).

I wish I could grow a garden but haven't the space to do more than keep a bevy of clay potted herbs alive on a window sill. I also visit my elder sister's garden and help out when I want to feel dirt on my hands. She and her husband grow most of the vegetables they eat even potatoes. She always plans to eat her home grown leeks, calls me constantly on how to cook them and then her husband sneaks them into a bag for me so they aren't wasted :rotfl: . It's good to know your family:).

Marking my calendar with a gold star. Last night, the man asked my pardon for making me wait to cook. He admitted that he was worried the pork and cherry entree would be "too fussy" in time and ingredients but by the end of the meal wondered if I could work the strawberries into a roasted meat main dish, LOL.

Watching CBS Sunday Morning now as it's a regular weekend ritual for us. Love how they work the constantly changing sun motifs into their graphics and the ending segment highlighting nature always gives me peace in and out of trying times.

It's a beautiful day weather wise and I don't know how/where to spend it. The man has given me 2 hours to make up my mind and then he'll be out the door solo. Better think fast!

Enjoy the beauty of this day and look for the goodness in whatever it brings you.

Good Morning Everyone, brightened my morning to see so many new posts since last night. I’m going to try to include them all in reply. Please forgive me should I have missed any!

Grumpy's Gal, I love your advice to new college graduates! Now more than ever it is so spot on! One of the things I am most praying for during this time is that we all might, but younger folks who sometime tend to be more rushing from one thing to another especially, slow down! Recognize the gift and peace of being still, listening to and talking with God, and allowing ourselves to rest!

Thank you also for asking the question of the day. I also don’t think Tina would mind at all. I am pretty sure what is important to her (and each of us as well :)) is that this thread keeps going as we grow our friendships through it. To answer your question, I have never grown a garden. I’ve helped preschoolers do planting and am currently tending to a very special Christmas Tree God has trusted me to help care for. Yes, I still need to find Evergreen’s first Christmas picture from 2014 and then take a picture of him today and post. I will do that this week ahead :) I agree that being outside watering is most peaceful.

Thanks for sharing your nice evening with friends, AuntieMe3. I am so glad you got to do that. The last time I went out to lunch with a friend was after church on Sunday, March 15th. I might have gone out with my Dad once more during that week but by the week’s end was when everything just exploded :( It does feel like a lifetime ago, that is for sure! I hope you had fun and get to meet up soon again.

Wow, good for you, Lynxstch! Sounds like you have quite a garden both of vegetables and flowers :) I so enjoy looking at flowers and trees. Aww, hugs, thank you so much for your super kind words and all you do to keep this thread kindly going! I pray to simply spread cheer and kindness, be in a tiny way a Light of Christ. I am enormously grateful to you and everyone else in this thread. I have said this in fun but truly mean it most sincerely that someday when it is safe and this world is more calm and normal, I would love to get to have a DL meet up with all of you. Of course, it brings me thanks and a smile, to know, too that God brought us all together through the Disboards!

Continued prayers Breezy Carol for you son! I was thinking the other day wasn’t it your dog who was at the vet? Buddy? If so, how is he doing? I apologize should I be thinking wrong dog/wrong owner. In any case paws and prayers Buddy is feeling his old frisky self again.

Pollyanna Mom, I hope your tomato plants do just fine :)

Nycgrrl, wishing you and your husband a peaceful and lovely Sunday.

Happy Sunday to all!

I am enjoying reading the garden posts. We don't have one due to apartment living, but we have a back patio. I might try a tomato plant or two there. You all have inspired me!

Today is our 40th wedding anniversary.
It's a happy day of celebration and reflection. I am thankful for the grace of our life together.♥️
We will celebrate with a nice dinner, cake and a glass of wine. Cheers! 🥂

Thanks for sharing your nice evening with friends, AuntieMe3. I am so glad you got to do that. The last time I went out to lunch with a friend was after church on Sunday, March 15th. I might have gone out with my Dad once more during that week but by the week’s end was when everything just exploded :( It does feel like a lifetime ago, that is for sure! I hope you had fun and get to meet up soon again.

Continued prayers Breezy Carol for you son! I was thinking the other day wasn’t it your dog who was at the vet? Buddy? If so, how is he doing? I apologize should I be thinking wrong dog/wrong owner. In any case paws and prayers Buddy is feeling his old frisky self again.
@flyingdumbo127 I agree with @lynxstch your posts are always so sweet and thoughtful. I'm a Disneyland passholder so I would LOVE to meet up with you sometime at my favorite place. :blush: And Buddy is my baby...he's doing ok. He's not as miserable as he was the day he came home from the vet, probably because they really had to work it when they were trying to get good xrays. Believe it or not, we're still waiting for the Ortho surgeon report. I stopped at the vet the other day to see what was up since they were supposed to call and the girl up front said they were still waiting themselves to hear back from him. They did ask if I wanted to schedule and I would have to pay half upfront{$2000) when I did. :eek: I told them I preferred to wait to see what the surgeon said first. We knew it was going to be a lot but not that much....Hubby said we'll definitely do it if that's what he needs but he's not happy with them keeping us waiting this long. So now were thinking we might ask for the x-ray and get a second opinion, one of the daycare parents where I work, works at a vets office and my boss' dog had the same surgery and it was less than $2000 there. Like I said if it's what he needs, we'll do it no matter the price, but we didn't like how they haven't even heard from the surgeon and are already quoting such a high price. Another thing that rubbed us the wrong way, when I went in I asked about getting a refill of his medication and they told me I needed to be bring him in again to have him examined. I told them I just brought him in and had just forgot to ask about the meds refill because we were focused on his leg, she said she still needed us to make another appointment. So I need to pay for another appointment for him even though I was just there just to get a med refill....:rolleyes2 For now, we waiting surgery scheduling out....he's still limping a bit but he's not having trouble getting up or moving around like we were first concerned about. Thanks for asking about him.

Today is our 40th wedding anniversary.
It's a happy day of celebration and reflection. I am thankful for the grace of our life together.♥
We will celebrate with a nice dinner, cake and a glass of wine. Cheers! 🥂
Happy Anniversary....I hope you have a great day celebrating.❤

Things have been busy here between my work shifts and home matters like getting the pool ready (had to buy a new pump). We also did a lot of yard work and it looks really nice with lots of FLOWERS which make me happy. :goodvibes I finally got the dog groomed but ran into a major snag there which bummed me out. (Dog is fine but shop has new policies and prices as it was sold.) Shopped quite a bit and had a lot to put away. Last night we took a pause and just sat out on the screened porch for wine with no news or TV on, just the quiet sounds of late spring/early summer outside, and it was really nice!

To answer some of the questions I missed. College graduate advice - well I think I mentioned I have two college seniors one of whom just graduated (the other who still has an internship to do in the fall) so I've had plenty of advice for them. First, my biggest advice all along for college has been to keep debt load low! And they did, which they are quite happy about right now. My best advice right now is for them to network, as that is how most jobs are found, especially right now where things are tight in many areas. Both of them have already run into snags so they're learning how important it is.

We do have a relatively small garden. We grow tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, summer squash and watermelon. My part in it is to help use up the things we grow, but DH and DD are the ones who actually plant the garden. They've been doing that together since DD was little and it's been a lot of fun for them. They also did a lot of the gardening this year DD wanted to spruce the yard up it had been neglected as we were busy with Mom before, but it really looks nice right now. We still have some chores to do around the yard but made a good dent in it.

@flyingdumbo127 I agree with @lynxstch your posts are always so sweet and thoughtful. I'm a Disneyland passholder so I would LOVE to meet up with you sometime at my favorite place. :blush: And Buddy is my baby...he's doing ok. He's not as miserable as he was the day he came home from the vet, probably because they really had to work it when they were trying to get good xrays. Believe it or not, we're still waiting for the Ortho surgeon report. I stopped at the vet the other day to see what was up since they were supposed to call and the girl up front said they were still waiting themselves to hear back from him. They did ask if I wanted to schedule and I would have to pay half upfront{$2000) when I did. :eek: I told them I preferred to wait to see what the surgeon said first. We knew it was going to be a lot but not that much....Hubby said we'll definitely do it if that's what he needs but he's not happy with them keeping us waiting this long. So now were thinking we might ask for the x-ray and get a second opinion, one of the daycare parents where I work, works at a vets office and my boss' dog had the same surgery and it was less than $2000 there. Like I said if it's what he needs, we'll do it no matter the price, but we didn't like how they haven't even heard from the surgeon and are already quoting such a high price. Another thing that rubbed us the wrong way, when I went in I asked about getting a refill of his medication and they told me I needed to be bring him in again to have him examined. I told them I just brought him in and had just forgot to ask about the meds refill because we were focused on his leg, she said she still needed us to make another appointment. So I need to pay for another appointment for him even though I was just there just to get a med refill....:rolleyes2 For now, we waiting surgery scheduling out....he's still limping a bit but he's not having trouble getting up or moving around like we were first concerned about. Thanks for asking about him.

Happy Anniversary....I hope you have a great day celebrating.❤

Ugh! Did they mention that there is a high likelihood that the other side will need to be done too? That's the thing. It sounds like it's improving. Maybe take things slowwwllllyyyy and in a few weeks it will be even better! When I was quite young (late teens) one of my Shepherds died unexpectedly during what turned out to be an unnecessary surgery. It has haunted me ever since. I had consented to it not knowing... My thirty plus years as a nurse have strengthened my resolve even more to avoid any surgeries unless they are completely and unequivocally necessary. As I said before, with six Shepherds we had a lot of limping issues here and there and all of them eventually resolved without surgery. If it happens to my dog now we will wait a good long time before any surgery to see how it pans out. No one ever thinks something like a death or other complications will happen but they can and do, with any surgery.

I started to write this before but I don't think I did. DS is an athlete also with a lot of various injuries. He injured his knee sliding into third base one year, then he heard a pop and it swelled up tremendously. So they did an MRI and there were lot of surgical visits, etc. Diagnosis from MRI was torn meniscus, and surgery was recommended. I wasn't wild about the idea, but it had to be done, even just so he could walk right and without pain. I remember we happened to have a blizzard the day he was scheduled and I couldn't call in sick to work, so DH had to take him by himself. I was actually staying in a hotel near work and I did not sleep a wink. Anyway, once they opened up his knee the surgeon, who I thank so much for his honesty, saw that the meniscus was NOT torn it was just a soft tissue injury. So he sewed him back up and DS did a course of PT and he was eventually fine. Who would've thought, though, that something like that would've happened. Those are just my thoughts.

:hug: AuntieMe3 and thank you so much. Waving hi to Buddy, too :dog2: Poor doggie :( ITA that a second opinion sounds like a great idea. I am so sorry the vet is putting all of you (Buddy, included) through the wringer. That is not kind or right, especially right now! My own beloved Champ has been a doggie Angel of God now for over 20 years. I do still remember his vet who I never felt was too compassionate. I wish we had sought someone else. I do know how lack of pet (and owner friendly) service can make things all the harder especially with a health issue :( On a brighter note, ::MickeyMo, I would so love to meet you at DL sometime. I just read you are a daycare worker, not sure what ages, but I taught and directed preschool for years and did some school age as well, and before this summer was active with my churches summer day camps so we may have that in common, too.

Pollyanna Mom, thanks for the smile of our favorite mice :) That is so cute!

:hug: and good to see you back, Pea! I am so sorry your son went through all that, how awful! What an ordeal for you and your husband, too :( Thank God for an honest and kind surgeon! Our doggies really do become so dear to us. It is heartbreaking when they are hurting. Paws and prayers to all your canine friends! I am sorry some had to go through pain :( I may have already shared this but another reason I didn't much care for Champ's vet was we had taken Champ to see his vet one Saturday because poor doggie had been so ill all day and night before. The doctor gave him a shot and a very expensive prescription, and assured us Champ would be fine. A few hours later, we are pretty sure he had a fatal stroke :( The doctor did not offer (IIRC) a refund even for the medication. I am, obviously now, looking back enormously grateful to God for calling Champ home when He did because Champ probably would have suffered more but at the time, it was devastating! I have with TMJ doctors especially experienced hasty recommendations for un-needed procedures so I pray for all both human and 4 legged to receive compassionate and good care!

Ugh! Did they mention that there is a high likelihood that the other side will need to be done too? That's the thing. It sounds like it's improving. Maybe take things slowwwllllyyyy and in a few weeks it will be even better! When I was quite young (late teens) one of my Shepherds died unexpectedly during what turned out to be an unnecessary surgery. It has haunted me ever since. I had consented to it not knowing... My thirty plus years as a nurse have strengthened my resolve even more to avoid any surgeries unless they are completely and unequivocally necessary. As I said before, with six Shepherds we had a lot of limping issues here and there and all of them eventually resolved without surgery. If it happens to my dog now we will wait a good long time before any surgery to see how it pans out. No one ever thinks something like a death or other complications will happen but they can and do, with any surgery.

I started to write this before but I don't think I did. DS is an athlete also with a lot of various injuries. He injured his knee sliding into third base one year, then he heard a pop and it swelled up tremendously. So they did an MRI and there were lot of surgical visits, etc. Diagnosis from MRI was torn meniscus, and surgery was recommended. I wasn't wild about the idea, but it had to be done, even just so he could walk right and without pain. I remember we happened to have a blizzard the day he was scheduled and I couldn't call in sick to work, so DH had to take him by himself. I was actually staying in a hotel near work and I did not sleep a wink. Anyway, once they opened up his knee the surgeon, who I thank so much for his honesty, saw that the meniscus was NOT torn it was just a soft tissue injury. So he sewed him back up and DS did a course of PT and he was eventually fine. Who would've thought, though, that something like that would've happened. Those are just my thoughts.

Thank you for your thoughts...Im so sorry that you experienced what you did with your dog. That's so hard. ❤ We've never had a dog with so many issues as this one, most of our past pets and our other current one have never even had to go to the vet except for shots and routine visits. Your thinking is kind of where I am at in regards to the surgery though, especially since he does seem better since we first were concerned. He doesn't appear to be in pain and isn't having trouble getting up like he was before, which was the main thing that worried us. He isn't an active guy, never has been, so I'm not to concerned of him making it worse. He likes to lounge in the house and only goes out to go to the bathroom or if we're sitting outside, so as long as it doesn't seem to be affecting his way of life, I'm good with waiting it out. Hubby and DD on the other hand, actually its mainly DD :worried:...but they won't initiate anything since I'm the one that handles vet visits and all that so we will wait and see. Now I'm just concerned about the office pushing me to get it done when I need to go in for his meds. I'm really more annoyed about that whole thing than anything else. I mentioned at his last appt we were going to need meds but forgot to mention it again right before leaving like I usually do because they were taking him back for sedation for the xray. So now I need to pay another office visit fee to get a refill....so dumb.

Last edited:

I forgot to mention about your son too...thats great that he didn't need the surgery after all...and not comparing your son to a dog, LOL but my boss mentioned something like this happened to a former dog of theirs as well. The vet told her after the surgery it looked like it was healing on its own so instead of just closing him up like they did for your son they said they did "some minor repair" they didn't even really need to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter