Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Thank you for your thoughts...Im so sorry that you experienced what you did with your dog. That's so hard. ❤ We've never had a dog with so many issues as this one, most of our past pets and our other current one have never even had to go to the vet except for shots and routine visits. Your thinking is kind of where I am at in regards to the surgery though, especially since he does seem better since we first were concerned. He doesn't appear to be in pain and isn't having trouble getting up like he was before, which was the main thing that worried us. He isn't an active guy, never has been, so I'm not to concerned of him making it worse. He likes to lounge in the house and only goes out to go to the bathroom or if we're sitting outside, so as long as it doesn't seem to be affecting his way of life, I'm good with waiting it out. Hubby and DD on the other hand, actually its mainly DD :worried:...but they won't initiate anything since I'm the one that handles vet visits and all that so we will wait and see. Now I'm just concerned about the office pushing me to get it done when I need to go in for his meds. I'm really more annoyed about that whole thing than anything else. I mentioned at his last appt we were going to need meds but forgot to mention it again right before leaving like I usually do because they were taking him back for sedation for the xray. So now I need to pay another office visit fee to get a refill....so dumb.
I hear you! Things have changed so much with veterinary care. We had an old time vet we loved who always did the right thing. I trusted him explicitly. And his staff. He always worked with me on things and respected my medical knowledge. I honestly don't remember having any complaints there over 20 plus years. (Other than one day when a mouthy front desk assistant was making fun of a client who had just lost a pet. I guess the vet had gone to the home and there were candles lit and she was laughing about it. Never liked her after that but fortunatly didn't have to deal with her much.) Our vet though retired and a new vet bought the practice and there have been a lot of changes. Cost has tripled or quadrupled. They are also nice, though, so I haven't made any changes. Hours could be better, we always seem to have a problem after hours! But we've been fortunate to not have many health problems with our current dog other than tick related illness (which is bad enough!). We've gone back and forth between the flea and tick pill, which kills ticks only when they bite, now to a collar again, which is supposed to kill them on contact, but I did pull a tick off the dog a couple of weeks ago and I'm worried about that now. Ugh! Always something! It sounds like you have a couch potato (love that kind of Shepherd!) and the low activity is probably helping. Inflammation will go down over time. A tear won't repair itself but you have to wonder if there is really a tear there in the first place. (Which I would always question especially after what happened with my son.) ACL surgery was pretty unheard of when I was growing up. All of a sudden all dogs seem to need it! It certainly is a money maker for them.

::MickeyMo, I would so love to meet you at DL sometime. I just read you are a daycare worker, not sure what ages, but I taught and directed preschool for years and did some school age as well, and before this summer was active with my churches summer day camps so we may have that in common,
I work part time at an in home daycare and preschool. I've been there almost 25 years. We have infants up to school-agers, before/after school and during school breaks. We usually have around 12 kids a day. Right now our youngest is 18 months but we have two moms expecting and will have new babies by the end of the year. We are an amazing place if I do say so myself....lol My boss, the owner, is an instructor at the local community college, so we are a learning site for early childhood development students to do their student teacher hours. We almost always have a wait list for kids and the local elementary teachers love getting our pre-k students when they move onto school. I haven't been working much since March because attendance is low but I'm available if and when she needs me. Like said, I've been there 25 years, so I'm kinda done...lol I recently told my boss I will probably be quiting by the end of the year...I've been saying I'm going to do for awhile now but always get guilted into staying because she has a hard time finding dependable employees and I'm just super dependable. :sad2: :laughing:

I forgot to mention about your son too...thats great that he didn't need the surgery after all...and not comparing your son to a dog, LOL but my boss mentioned something like this happened to a former dog of theirs as well. The vet told her after the surgery it looked like it was healing on its own so instead of just closing him up like they did for your son they said they did "some minor repair" they didn't even really need to do.
The thing is, though, he DID undergo surgery, with full anesthesia and all. Without me being there. His knee was opened up. So he had all the risks of anesthesia and infection but there was no torn meniscus so he closed him up without messing with the meniscus, thankfully! But had the MRI been read differently he would not/should not have needed to undergo surgery.

I am enjoying reading the garden posts. We don't have one due to apartment living, but we have a back patio. I might try a tomato plant or two there. You all have inspired me!

Today is our 40th wedding anniversary.
It's a happy day of celebration and reflection. I am thankful for the grace of our life together.♥
We will celebrate with a nice dinner, cake and a glass of wine. Cheers! 🥂

Wow, 40 years. Happy anniversary! party:

No, we don't have a garden. No yard anymore. We could do one on the balcony, I suppose; we've done the container garden thing before, with mostly herbs, hot peppers and flowers. Maybe next spring.

It's been rainy again, the last few days. We're getting hit with the outer bands of Cristobal; parts of downtown Jax have some flooding, but I think those are the areas that flood anytime we have a big rainstorm.

Dinner tonight is going to be lazy. I'm finishing off the leftover dirty rice from the other day. DH and DS will be having BBQ chicken nuggets, mac n cheese, and veggies.

Pea, that is plain cruel that anyone (and I mean anyone but especially someone employed by a vet) would make fun of a person grieving the loss of their furry companion. That does though bring back a similar memory of my own. I shared earlier about poor Champ and how he passed away most suddenly. What I didn't share was that his vet was located in an area we no longer lived in! So that was a trip in itself. That afternoon when he passed and we were in shock but pretty much knew that was the outcome :'( we brought him to a vet just up the street from us. I do remember one of the front desk ladies being surprised at how sad I was.

You are so right that your son (and you and your husband) never should have had to endure the surgery! Prayers he is doing just fine now :)

Aww, God Bless you, AuntieMe3! Thank you for all your care and service to so many kids over the years. It is so important that kids, especially younger ones, have a consistent positive person in their lives and at school!

Prayers everyone is having a good Sunday. It's sunnier here today than it has been the last couple days. I was so grateful to have also gotten a little more rest last night, too. I did watch this morning's online Worship service. I especially appreciated the time of prayer and Holy Communion. Still strange to be watching rather than participating in person! Not the same at all.

Other Sunday gratitude so far:

All of you on here :grouphug:

My Dad was able to do good shopping this morning for needed food and other items

Today would have been my Grandpa's 103rd birthday! I give God great thanks for his life and of course to know that along with Grandma and Champ, Grandpa, is forever at peace with the Lord.

ETA: You posted just as I was, Bianca and Bernard, prayers you stay safe and for safety of surrounding towns as well. I hope all of your family enjoys tonight's dinner :)

Boy, you all have been talkative since this morning. I am sure I can't remember everything.

DH and I watched church online then went for a 10 mile bike ride along the C & D Canal. It was nice. Got subs from Wawa on the way home. He is out "looking" at new cars. Luckily the showrooms are closed.

@gwynne , Happy anniversary to you and your husband. 🍾 :rose:

@flyingdumbo127 , I agree that you always have nice posts. Actually everyone does. And glad you found out who belongs to Buddy. My last dog died in January after 2 visits to the emergency vet over 2 weeks. (Grace was 13 and started having seizures.) But we had the same vet both times at about midnight. She and her staff were so nice and compassionate and explained everything. After we had Grace put down and I could think clearly again, I sent them a thank you note for their caring attitude.

It is sunny and cool here this afternoon so I appreciate that. We got to play with 3 grandkids today, not too close but at least we could play baseball, soccer, and talk with them. As far as gardening goes, I do not have the patience for it. Also, I tend to kill plants so I try not go go near them. Recently DH asked me if I wanted to start a garden. After I stopped laughing I told him the plants would appreciate it if don't. My mother used to have really nice gardens with huge sunflowers, marigolds, and petunias. She also grew tomatoes and green beans. Nothing like a fresh garden tomato.

@gwynne Happy Anniversary. Have a nice celebration day.

@apirateslifeforme how are you doing? :hyper: Hopefully you've had a little break if your husband is home on the weekend!

Aw, thank you for thinking of me! I have been MIA, haven't I? DH got Friday off from work due to protests but Josh was still in a mood. My FIL got sprung from the rehab hospital, so we drove up to my in-laws' to make sure they got home okay, see if they needed anything, pick up prescriptions, etc. Dad looked good; he and Mom were sitting outside, and when he got up to go inside, he stood right up (i.e. didn't have to inch to the edge of the chair and try to stand up several times before actually getting upright).

I had seen in my moms group on FB, on a "what movies are you watching" thread, that many moms said National Treasure was a good one for kids. I had thought that Josh might still be too young for it, but he's already seen Indiana Jones, so why not? We watched both of those movies, plus I introduced him to Labyrinth. We've now watched that twice. I'm so happy that he loves it like I do! Next up, however, are the Noah Wylie Librarian movies.

Today we visited my in-laws again. We sat outside (still...my SIL was there and she insists we don't go inside. She won't even use the bathroom - she kicks us all out of the backyard and finds a spot there. I am not kidding). Dad was still moving around a lot, good to see His ankles were very swollen, however, but he doesn't like to drink water.

My mother is on and off giving me the silent treatment at home. I don't know what I did this time. Yesterday, Josh asked me about our "Happy Everything" party that she had wanted to have, but it will not be happening now that she is going to Illinois for a month to care for my aunt and uncle. I told Josh, "Grandma won't be here so we're not having that party, but we'll do something for your birthday" (in August). Well...several minutes later she got out of her chair and very nastily snapped at me, "By the way, I *WILL* be here for his birthday. I wouldn't miss that. How dare you tell him that I won't be here." Um, that's NOT what I said (and I reiterated exactly what I said). She continued to stare daggers at me, then finally went back to her chair, muttering under her breath. I'm so tired of this. She complains that I don't do anything, but when I do, she feels it's done wrong and redoes it - like hanging the laundry. The clothes dry, with minimal wrinkling, but she rehangs everything because she doesn't like the way I do it. Even when I put the laundry in the washer - she'll complain that I put too much in at once! I wish we had the money to leave.

Gwynne, Happy Anniversary! Hope it was fabulous!

To everyone, big :grouphug: and I hope all is well!

:grouphug:apirateslifefor me. I am so sorry you are still being treated that way by your Mom and in your own home. I'm glad you and Josh enjoyed some movies together. Smaller moments sure mean a ton extra right now :)

Thank you, Breezy Carol. ITA that everyone's posts in this wonderful thread bring great cheer :) I do admit to being "tired" just reading about those 10 miles but good for you and your husband! :hug: on Grace.

Snowysmom, hooray for getting to play with your grandkids!

Discovered these 3 or so years ago and have practically worn nothing since. I think I have 15 pairs now. I have learned over the years if you like something get it now! (the ones I like always seem to be discontinued). Saw someone on a cruise with them and ordered as soon as I got home. I have them in a lot of colors now.

Happy Anniversary, Gwynne. Mine is next week

I will step in tonight for Tina to ask a question:

What are your favorite types of shoes to wear?

I like cute and comfy flip flops in the summer and I mostly wear clogs the rest of the year.

I'm a flip flop lover too. I live in So Cal so I can wear them pretty much all year but when its really cold. I wear slip on sketcher type shoes or I have some really comfortable ankle boots.

@Meriweather are those earth origins? I got a pair of those for when I went to Italy last year and they were so comfy. The second pair I got just didn't feel the same. 👎

Aw, thank you for thinking of me! I have been MIA, haven't I? DH got Friday off from work due to protests but Josh was still in a mood. My FIL got sprung from the rehab hospital, so we drove up to my in-laws' to make sure they got home okay, see if they needed anything, pick up prescriptions, etc. Dad looked good; he and Mom were sitting outside, and when he got up to go inside, he stood right up (i.e. didn't have to inch to the edge of the chair and try to stand up several times before actually getting upright).

I had seen in my moms group on FB, on a "what movies are you watching" thread, that many moms said National Treasure was a good one for kids. I had thought that Josh might still be too young for it, but he's already seen Indiana Jones, so why not? We watched both of those movies, plus I introduced him to Labyrinth. We've now watched that twice. I'm so happy that he loves it like I do! Next up, however, are the Noah Wylie Librarian movies.

Today we visited my in-laws again. We sat outside (still...my SIL was there and she insists we don't go inside. She won't even use the bathroom - she kicks us all out of the backyard and finds a spot there. I am not kidding). Dad was still moving around a lot, good to see His ankles were very swollen, however, but he doesn't like to drink water.

My mother is on and off giving me the silent treatment at home. I don't know what I did this time. Yesterday, Josh asked me about our "Happy Everything" party that she had wanted to have, but it will not be happening now that she is going to Illinois for a month to care for my aunt and uncle. I told Josh, "Grandma won't be here so we're not having that party, but we'll do something for your birthday" (in August). Well...several minutes later she got out of her chair and very nastily snapped at me, "By the way, I *WILL* be here for his birthday. I wouldn't miss that. How dare you tell him that I won't be here." Um, that's NOT what I said (and I reiterated exactly what I said). She continued to stare daggers at me, then finally went back to her chair, muttering under her breath. I'm so tired of this. She complains that I don't do anything, but when I do, she feels it's done wrong and redoes it - like hanging the laundry. The clothes dry, with minimal wrinkling, but she rehangs everything because she doesn't like the way I do it. Even when I put the laundry in the washer - she'll complain that I put too much in at once! I wish we had the money to leave.

Gwynne, Happy Anniversary! Hope it was fabulous!

To everyone, big :grouphug: and I hope all is well!
I'm glad it sounds like you had some good moments this weekend! :goodvibes I used to love watching movies with the kids when they were little! So many good ones to see! We still love watching movies together today.

My mother lived with us for 25 yrs; even before we had kids. I also have a lot of friends with multi-generational households; even my in-laws, too. And there are almost always issues like that from time to time. We used to joke about needing to start a support group. Of course, these occasional rough patches were balanced with many good times, too. I think it's hard to live with anyone, really.

They sometimes feel left out if they are alone. And I think depression can cause irritability. Does Mom have a social group? If you have a good COA try to get her involved if she'll go. Or even finding one good friend she can do things with, and talk to. Then just limit setting. If she's irritable for more than a short time then you have to limit the time you spend with her for your own health and that of your child, because the negativity affects everyone in the household. So shut the door. :duck:Being at different life stages they can forget how busy and stressed you feel with a little one, especially during a pandemic! And it doesn't hurt to try to empathize with where she is, too - she may have had losses and is worried about health, finances or other issues, hard to say. Lifelong personality plays a part, too - how they were before can magnify as they get older and don't have as many opportunities for channeling it. Could she be stressing about her upcoming caregiving role? Could she be craving attention even if it's negative attention? Maybe try to discuss what's really bothering her at a good time and how it's important to your family's (including her) health that you all get along well and be considerate of eachothers feelings. I know my mother always wanted to do the best by my kids so explaining how her behaviors affect him may be the one thing that really hits home for her. If I had to guess I'd say she's worried about caregiving for two people for what sounds like an extended period? And quite possibly, realistically so. That's a big job!

I'm a flip flop lover too. I live in So Cal so I can wear them pretty much all year but when its really cold. I wear slip on sketcher type shoes or I have some really comfortable ankle boots.
Jealous of the So. CA lifestyle!! :laughing: Ironically my sister lived there for a long time but wouldn't be caught dead in flip flops! She actually wore loafers on the beach here last summer! We are so different!

No shoes :D Just socks around the house. I do like house slippers, too. All right for going outside, I am also a Skecher fan because their shoes are so lightweight. I do get the lace kind. Thanks for stepping in, Pea. Tina, continued prayers all is well. We miss you.
That is one thing I cannot do, wear socks around the house! It feels funny to me and I HATE it if they get wet! (Which they always seem to between the dog's water dish and the ice maker on the freezer which spits ice out and no one bothers to pick up!) I wear scuffs most of the time in the house. Lol. Remind me of what kind of dog you have.

I am enjoying reading the garden posts. We don't have one due to apartment living, but we have a back patio. I might try a tomato plant or two there. You all have inspired me!

It's a happy day of celebration and reflection. I am thankful for the grace of our life together.♥
:flower3: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! 🎉

I like cute and comfy flip flops in the summer and I mostly wear clogs the rest of the year.
Shoes? What’s that? ( just kidding) in the summer, I don’t really like to wear shoes. And with the staying at home the last 3 months, I just go barefoot. I do keep a pair of flip flops by the backdoor to slip on to water the garden or fill bird bath etc. if I need to go for the grocery pick up, I usually wear under armor brand athletic shoes. My favorite sandals came from lands end at least 10 years ago and they no longer make them.

My favorite shoes are NONE..I love being barefoot. But if I must, then it's sandals in the summer and boots in the winter!

I'm mostly a sneaker gal. I do like clogs when I'm wearing dressier pants, and flats or low heals with dresses. I detest high heels.

I'll wear flip flops outside in summer, but that involves taking off my socks to go out, because I always wear socks or slippers in the house. - My feet get too cold in the AC without them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter