• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Thanks, PollyannaMom for asking the QOTD :)

I've never done yoga. I do have an elderly church friend who twice week teaches Tai Chi to a small group of people.

Bobbiewoz, some type of pool aerobics always intrigued me. I'm not sure I'd be able to swim these days due to TMJ but enjoy being in the water.

Have a good evening everyone! :)

Somehow I missed 24 hours posting.

Tina, Stella is a lovely name. My DS had to bake under the lights too.

@flyingdumbo127 , have you tried Pringles? Very thin, not greasy.

@Meriweather , we have a very similar tablecloth as your Christmas one.

@apirateslifeforme , Happy Birthday!:flower1::bday:

Dinner tonight was Mahi Mahi that my neighbor caught on vacation. She had packages frozen and shared. It was good. I had wild rice and a salad with it.

So with all this ornament talk if you all don't mind, how about a Christmas in July QOTD:

If you celebrate, real or fake tree? How do you like decorate it? Theme or no theme? Does it change every year? Do you like colored or white lights? Multi or single color stands? Tree skirt or no skirt? Anybody have multiple trees?
We usually have a live tree. For a few years we went artificial but it got ratty so back to a cut tree. It is getting harder to cut one down so we keep looking at artificial again. We have colored lights, the bigger bulbs, not the tiny ones. Ornaments are mostly sentimental: a boy trumpet player for DS, a girl clarinet player for DD, some glass icicles that we got as a wedding gift 35 years ago, some I had as a child and some DH had as a child.

We used to have white icicles on the outside of the house but so hard to put up. Now we have a "points of light" projector. White candles in the windows.

Manger scenes are my favorite things of Christmas. The very first thing I put out is the Fontanini manger scene on the mantle. I have several others I put around the house. And then there is my Santa collection that goes on the buffet in the dining room.

DSC00959.JPGDSC00962.JPG
Love Christmas trees! Real or fake depends on whether we’re traveling near Christmas or not. I figure there are advantages either way. Some years we even do two.

No specific theme usually, just a hodgepodge of special ornaments from over the years - trip souvenirs, ones made from photos, etc. Unpacking them is always a memory fest!

I like colored lights on the tree and white on the house the best, but I’m up for pretty much anything, and we do change up the tree sometimes.
So many of my answers are the same as PollyannaMom.

Have you ever done yoga? And if so, do you love it? Hate it? ???
I have done yoga. I liked it, especially the stretching. My problem was that the class was at 5 and I had trouble getting there on time from work. It was hard to relax after rushing to get there. When Planet Fitness opened, it was way cheaper and I didn't have to rush to get there.

Gratitudes:
Nice fish for dinner
A 1+mile walk this morning in nature with DH and granddog
A nice visit with my church friend as I delivered books to her.

Thanks Carol for the Pringles suggestion, I appreciate it. What's funny is as a young kid I loved Pringles. I tried them not many years ago and did not care for them. We are going to try the bigger size of the Kroger chips tomorrow in hopes that will be a different batch than the smaller bag. ETA: Bigger size Kroger was worse than the smaller. Could see brown oil drips inside the bag, nasty! :( Did get one Granny Goose bag. To me the inside of the bag, smelled unpleasant and the actual chip tasted the same, yucky! Will check if Smart and Final has their own brand tomorrow.

Last edited:
I worked a long stretch over last weekend with a very sick patient. Then someone asked me to do a switch and work their Monday so I did that, too. It's taken me a few days to recover. I tried to keep up here but it was spotty at best, lol. Just caught up, though. Not sure I'll remember everything I want to respond to.

Happy Birthday @apirateslifeforme! 💐 I hope you had a nice day. Yay to the MA flag!

I will have to check our garden to see what we have out there! Hopefully the bunnies didn't eat our veggies this year! One thing we forgot was strawberries. A friend brought some over from her garden and they were so good! Next year it'll be the first thing we buy. One year we planted strawberries in a whiskey barrel but had none - turns our our dog was eating them!

Someone mentioned the gift exchange on Reddit. I don't do it but DD does. I was with her last week when she bought her gift, it was for a female soldier overseas. She just sent it off yesterday. It was a pretty, soft blanket, a candle and some butter cookies. She had said she liked nature and candles. Seemed fun! Hopefully DD gets something from the person who has her name!

I like the graduation goodies for Matt, Tina! :goodvibes Can't wait to hear how his new job compares to his Army job. Congratulations on your new niece, and hope your Mom is doing ok.

@flyingdumbo127 I think I understand how you felt when told your ideas weren't needed. You didn't expand a lot on what happened, but I could sense the hurt. You're not alone! I think all of us who are "out there" run into that from time to time. I'm sure there will be some who appreciate what you do even if it's not the person who's seemingly in charge. It's beautiful how you put in so much time and effort into your church family.

Ok QOTD, XMas trees. We have had to keep things simple here because life has been so stressful for the past several years. So we did what some will consider sacrilegious - we bought a tree that doesn't require anything, just take it out of the bag and it's all set! :lmao: Then we can sit back and enjoy the season more quickly and without stressing about it. I miss some of our kids', dog, and Disney ornaments but we'll add a second tree once we do over our family room, which is in progress, and put them on there when the time comes.

IMG_4517.PNGIMG_4519.jpg

I've never tried yoga. I think if I tried now, I'd break instead of bend! LOL

DGS#2 and DGS#3 are having a total blast together. They went to the zoo, and have been running around like madmen while at DD#1's home. DD's older dog isn't happy about it; she's almost 18 years old, and just wants to lay in peace and quiet; the younger dog, whose about 7, is loving the attention from DGS#2, though. DGS#3 didn't know how to play with the dogs, only how to pet them and feed them; and DGS#2 has the younger dog running around the house with him, tossing her toys for fetch, etc. There are only 3-3/4 months between them, but at this age, it's easy to see the difference almost 4 months makes in behavior/abilities.

Making tacos at home for dinner (what? on a Friday?) DH asked yesterday if I got my days mixed up, since I made fried fish on Thursday, instead of having Throwback Thursday burritos from Tijuana Flats. LOL I explained I usually do fish on Friday, not from childhood habit anymore, but because it's easier to gauge dinnertime on Fridays, when he usually only worked half a day, so he'd be home by 2pm. haha

I missed a few as well -

Christmas Trees? I far and above prefer live! We've had a fake one for the past few years due to traveling over the holidays, but live always wins in my book! I even started my own tree lot on our farm for future use, although none of them are big enough yet!

Yoga? I started doing yoga a few years ago and I really enjoyed it and felt the benefit. My problem is getting to the classes/finding classes that jive with my schedule and the studio I was going to changed class schedules and also replaced the class I took with Holy Yoga, which was fine - but just not my thing and I didn't get the same benefit as with the regular classes. Plus I didn't know any of the bible verses they said aloud! But as fate would have it, the local Y opened back up again and they have several yoga classes, the first of which I'm going to go to tomorrow morning! I'm very much looking forward to it!

Good morning.

I think this was the last day of no AC. Our neighborhood is called Everbreeze because of the constant breeze. (Hence my screen name.) But the prediction is in the 90s for the next week and the humidity is awful.

I spent $300+ by 9 this morning when the garage door repairman came to fix the opener. It needed to be done. It was an older man who was sweating already so I gave him a bottle of cold water when he left and he was so appreciative. Sometimes just doing a small thing makes me feel good.

@Bianca and Bernard, your grandsons are so cute but it hurts my heart to see them having to wear masks. I am glad they are doing it for my safety and yours, but it makes me sad that any little child has to.

Not sure I'll remember everything I want to respond to.
I actually took notes as I was reading yesterday. :rotfl2:

Carol, I've been thinking the same thing about Bianca and Bernard's grandsons. They are precious indeed. It is heartbreaking that they need to at so young wear masks.

Lol, to some of the yoga comments. I'm not too stretchy or flexible either that is for sure!

I sometimes in Word take notes when there are tons of messages ahead of mine so I don't (I pray) forget anyone!

Minor prayer request is to please keep my new phone (scheduled to arrive today) in prayer. I noticed last night the tracking information listed exactly the same issues as last week when the package arrived opened with tamper tape and crushed in one corner and not directly to my door because it did not list an apartment #! Something about Bloomington, CA that caused phone trouble. I believe all will be well it just was concerning to once again see "delivery exception" (whatever that means)+ "address corrected" one minute apart in Bloomington again! I'll post later when the phone arrives.

I am so thankful for the still cooler weather here and that it cools down at night, too.

:grouphug: to all!

Thank you for the birthday wishes! It ended up being a good day - morning was a little frustrating, but then Josh had gymnastics. We got there early and didn't want to go in right away, but then we saw a familiar car pull in. It was one of Josh's preschool friends, with his mom and sister (the sister takes a competition class that's at the same time as Josh's makeup class). So we quick got our masks on and went inside to say hello and chat for a moment. They live in a different town, so the boys won't be going to school together in the fall :( (BUT...the mom's grandmother lives on the same street as us. As long as I've lived here. So they can still see each other quite often!)

After class, we ordered dinner from the Italian restaurant, so I got my shrimp parmesan. Josh got his cheese pizza and ate THREE slices - which is amazing because he never eats that much, and I myself can only eat 3 slices of pizza at a time! Then I opened presents - my mom gave me 2 Life is Good t-shirts, one with flip-flops arranged in a flower pattern, and one with "Mama" and a bear on it. From Josh and DH, it was a Star Trek birthday - a "Search for Spock" book (like a Where's Waldo, only you look for Spock instead of Waldo), a "What Would Captain Kirk Do?" book, and "The Autobiography of James T. Kirk." (The Trekkie in me is itching to get out to Riverside Iowa, to find the "Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk" monument. I'm a nutter ;) ) The only non-Star Trek gift is a "Mystery of the Museum" escape room game. Love it all!

Woke up feeling a bit crabby today, though. Age usually doesn't bother me, but today it hit me and it's bothering me a little. Plus my doctor's office called late Wednesday - after hours ( :confused::confused3) to tell me they have to change my next month's HRT follow-up chat to a phone appointment and please call back to reschedule. I haven't called yet and I'm not going to today - too crabby, and I have a hard time over the phone anyway (everybody sounds like the adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon to me). I could do without that appointment anyway. I've been in the program for 3 years now, but nothing has changed, so it's become a waste of time. My mother, still in Illinois over 700 miles away, was trying to order something on Amazon this morning but couldn't figure out how to "change tabs," so she told me to sign in and complete the purchase. I tried, but security blocked me because I'm using a different computer...we had to try 6 times before I could get in, and then the stuff wasn't in her cart on my end, etc. She ended up calling them to finish. She also told me that she ordered a "wifi booster" and when it comes, I need to hook it up and "figure out how to use it." More junk that we don't need that I won't be able to figure out (because I'm NOT tech-savvy at all!) Josh is complaining that his stomach hurts...probably all the cheese he's eaten and he needs to potty :sad2:

How about:

Have you ever done yoga? And if so, do you love it? Hate it? ???
Josh and I do Cosmic Kids Yoga on YouTube every other day. It's probably not like real yoga...it's a British lady who tells a story while you do the stretches and she moves pretty quickly. My favorite one so far has been the Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone one (she condenses it down to 30 minutes). The biggest problem I have is that when you're down on all fours, and you lift one leg behind you and reach back to grab your foot, I can't do it. My legs and arms are REALLY short...I remember as a child having to do that in ballet class and I never could, no matter how flexible I got. I also cannot touch my forehead to my knees anymore (standing OR sitting). You really do lose flexibility as you get older, don't you...? Or maybe it's just the big lump of fat belly in the way... ;)

Hooray that you got to enjoy most of your birthday, apirateslifeforme, that is as it should be, my friend! Also happy to hear that although they won't be in the same school, Josh is able to still see his friend often :)

I can relate about the pizza! I've shared (I think) on here before that I have a strange bread/pizza crust/pancake issue, lol all the same thing! For me, the sandwich style of bread does not work because it is too thin (I get the rounded regular loaf slices). I have to be careful with pizza especially that it's not too cheese heavy or that most definitely upsets my system. Similar to pancakes and syrup. I think it's my need for the bread part to be thicker than whatever is on top so the bread does not become as saturated (if this makes any sense)!

I hope Josh feels better soon and that you, do, too! :hug: on the doctor call and upcoming appointment.

ETA a potato chip P.S. First Street Classic Potato Chips from Smart and Final are a winner! They are super light in color, no grease in the bag, and taste more potato-y than the Kroger. Very pleased and would recommend :)

Last edited:
Happy belated birthday @apirateslifeforme. Sounds like you had a nice day. Age is just a number. It is all in how you feel. :sunny:

I have been doing modified yoga for several years now. I do a DVD, Yoga for Arthritis, by Peggy Cappy. I believe she is from NH. She did some yoga shows on PBS a while ago. I started doing it before I had my knees replaced. Yoga helped with strength and stability. I still do it now because it continue to help with muscle strength and balance. The added benefit is I can do the standing moves without pain and with more bend and flexibility.

Today is my anniversary. We have been married 44 years. I got married very young. It just seemed like a good idea at the time! LOL! It is funny when I think back to those times and how things were then and then how things are now. It was a much quieter time, people seemed nicer and more helpful, and it seemed less stressful. Of course 2020 has been a disaster of a year. 1976 was a pretty good year. I appreciate the people on this thread because everyone is nice and caring so it makes me think of earlier times. We are going out for pizza and salad. We had that on our wedding day for supper. We got married at 11 am and had a noontime reception. Our honeymoon was in Orlando with visits to Magic Kingdom. It was the beginning of a love for Disney.

It seems like the kids wear masks better than some adults. 2 of my grandkids went mini golfing and DS said they did very well with the masks. They are 5 and 3. In MA we have to wear masks in stores etc or if we can't social distance outside. So far I have not seen anyone without a mask in a store or restaurant.

Have a good weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter