Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

This is going to sound backwards, but my dysfunctional, backstabbing family in which someone is ALWAYS feuding with someone else has actually been a positive influence on me. Because I don't want to be like that and so far, I'm not. That's positive, right? ;)

My grandparents, with whom I grew up, influenced me with their love of reading and learning. Years ago, a former coworker told me that I was "very well-read" and I realized that that was the BEST compliment I'd ever heard. And that compliment is the result of my grandparents' influence.

And Mr. Steiger, my 6th-grade history teacher, introduced me to ancient history. It's one of my favorite subjects and I'm absolutely fascinated by it. I've soaked up so much that at this point, 30 years later, I've actually been referred to as a "professional Egyptologist," yet I've had ZERO formal education on the subject.

Happy Tuesday to all.

Today's dinner is hot Italian subs and veggies with dip. I'm feeling lazy today.

@Grumpy's Gal story about the teacher parade made me think about local areas are doing to help each other and show support and just kindness. I mentioned the neighborhood chalk the block coming up. Over the weekend there was a tally of local medical people in our neighborhood and yesterday the kids went around putting thank you notes on their doors or mail boxes or left some goodies for them.

I was reading the local FB page where my mom is in AR and where I grew up and still have lot friends. They are pretty rural located and their ICU probably has 15-20 beds at most. They have established a drive up testing for those that need it and triage center. Well, again this is rural, there is a campground not too far away. A lot of locals set up their camping trailers and popups out there connected to utilities and such with stacks clean linens and foods and hygiene. The hospital staff can rotate in and out there for a few moments of R&R and not worry about getting their family sick. The locals set up cleaning schedules and got clean trash cans for scrubs and such and going to take them to be cleaned. I'm always proud to see how people can help and what they can do even if it's word of encouragement. My neighbor next door told me on Sunday she is going to be "called up" as a nurse and she is just nervous. I offered if she'd like us to help with the kids' school or home meals or if she wants to leave her scrubs I'd happy to wash them or I have a spare bed she can get to without bothering us and just rest. In the end we are all in this together. It's kind of like packing goody boxes for soldiers deployed but these soldiers aren't wearing camo.

On a funny note: I saw meme about in the next 4-7 weeks we will know everyone's real hair color. That's legit true. LOL I'm already feeling it.

On to the question of the day!

Hello!! I want to tell you what happened today. It was so very quiet. DH was downstairs working from home. I was upstairs listening to Sanjay Gupta on Dax Shepherd’s podcast. All of a sudden, I heard the most awful amount of noise! Cars honking and lots of traffic on our very quiet street. I just thought “ WHAT IN THE WORLD?!?!?!” I look outside and it’s a parade of cars. All decorated. Balloons! Streamers! Flags! Signs on cars that said “ we miss you!” Must’ve been 40-50 cars. I look down the street and kids are standing in front yards waving. It was all teachers driving the cars. THE TEACHER PARADE! I see online that this happened lots of places this week. It was just the most heartfelt thing I’ve ever seen.❤
Also, I wanted to ask a question. Are any of you doing this online ordering of groceries when you sign up for a time and drive over and pick them up? Without going into the store? I haven’t ever done it but I’m not going into a store any time soon. I plan to try it this week.

I have done the online ordering. I don't know if groceries are at a minimum in your town or the demographic of it. I would encourage a middle of the week order if possible. Look online at your local big store. Some have the link there to deliver or pick up curb side. My shopped was super awesome and texted the whole time about what was there and not there and what I'd like instead and if I needed anything else not on the list I sent in. My order wasn't ready for shopping until noon so lot of the essentials were already sold out because the people there earlier. I would for sure do it again and I tipped cash to her..

I usually work all the time. Often 6 and even 7 days a week - usually 10 to 12 hour days. I take a WDW trip a couple of times a year. Four Sept '18 to Sept '19. I really love my profession; stagehand, camera operator and pyrotechnician so I love working. Mostly this government shutdown had just been boring for me. But I'm making the best of it as most of us are.

Now that we're in day eleven of no work here in Los Angeles I do my Social Distancing by day drinking and watching favorite movies:
2rCyi3P.jpg

This morning the peeps woke up to the smell of a whole chicken I was roasting. Of course they wanted it for breakfast with DGD as the main agitator. Told her err I mean them I'd already made breakfast but promised to make congee/jook for tomorrow's start of the day. So she ate her yogurt parfait topped w/ Rice Chex dreaming of the next day's breakfast, LOL.
Meanwhile the roast chicken will give me at least 2 dinners and one lunch plus the breakfast. Tonight it'll show up as roast chicken, buttered noodles w/ peas + carrots, and a side salad of romaine hearts and roasted peppers. Dessert will be a mango fool.

DGD had a pan fried corn tortilla (looks like the commercially made taco shells but tastes better and not as fragile) stuffed with avocado slices, sour cream, pico de gallo w/ corn kernels added, and black beans for lunch.

A taste of NYC good news from the NYTimes. There's column written by the readers called "The Metropolitan Dairy" that gives an idea of city life now and in the past. It's one of the first items I turned to since it makes me smile. Here's a typical reminisce:

Dear Diary:
In 1975, I was a student at the Katharine Gibbs School at what was known then as the Pan Am Building. One Wednesday we got the afternoon off to see a Broadway show. My friends and I decided to see “Pippin” at the Imperial Theater.

It was a cold, wet February day, and we lined up at the box office. There were five of us, all 18 years old and from either the Bronx or New Jersey. We were wearing what the Gibbs school considered appropriate business attire: dresses, long winter coats, pantyhose and low heels.
We were happy to have the afternoon off. We laughed and counted our money as we waited, making sure we had enough for cheap seats at the top and to go to McAnn’s afterward.
We began talking to an older man and woman in front of us. We learned that she had attended Katie Gibbs in the 1950s. We talked about changes at the school (electric typewriters) and about the dress code (no more white gloves).
The line continued to move and we eventually said goodbye to the couple. I was in charge of buying the tickets, so when we got to the box office I did the ordering.

“We’d like five tickets for the rear mezzanine,” I said.
“Here are your tickets,” the box office attendant said.

I must have looked confused.
“Take them,” she said.
I took the tickets. I didn’t know a lot about the theater, but I knew that “FM” meant front mezzanine.
“We don’t have enough money for these,” I said.
“You don’t need to,” the woman said.
“Huh?” I mumbled.
The woman smiled.
“The guy in front of you paid for your tickets,” she said. “You’re the Gibbs girls, right?”
— Mary Hayes

It's in the thread's title:)

DUH..thanks NYCgrrl..somehow I missed that!
The only good news story going on around here, is that essential businesses can continue to be open! They are asking people not to go out unless necessary, but no kind of lockdown/shutdown..at least not yet..oh..also..we have no cases reported in our county and very few to the county to the west of us, so that is pretty good news!

Hi Tina!
Believe it or not, I remember when you first started posting on the DIS, and have followed you through Matt's deployments, all of your moves and most of your health issues. I am glad to see you posting something lighthearted, as we all need that right now!

I joined the DIS when I was planning our honeymoon also! We honeymoon's at Dixie Landings. I met my second husband online, moved from MA to MD, got married, and it will be 20 years this coming Sept. It is just us and all of our furbabies, (too many to mention, lol).
Last nite I made a rack pork roast, with fresh asparagus and baby red potatoes. That will be leftovers for tonite and Wed, as tomorrow has to be corned beef and cabbage, no matter what else is going on!
We are watching a lot of the things we have stored on the Tivo right now. Have plenty of unopened movies to watch after we run out of shows there.
I hope more DIS'ers spot this post and join in. Lets keep it fun, kind, and as worry free as possible!
Lynn

Since you mentioned Dixie Landings, enjoy a glass of OJ. :) :drinking1

It was the first Disney resort we stayed at, and always has a special place in my heart.

Not a good news story from my area but a kind moment was this morning at Target. A kind Target worker took a lot of time trying to find the 7 Scattegories (thanks to people in the games thread for reminding me of this fun game) that his phone showed the store as having in stock. Neither he nor I ever found any but he was so nice and understood that games right now really are handy. I may order it at target.com

Something to make all of you smile, every evening during this time the senior Pastor of my church sends out to the congregation an email. In last night's email he shared something funny that someone had shared recently with him. The gist of it was that during this stay at home time, 8pm is the time to change out of our daytime pajamas and into our night-time pajamas :D

The gist of it was that during this stay at home time, 8pm is the time to change out of our daytime pajamas and into our night-time pajamas :D

My system is after I work out I shower and change into my new jammies for the day. My jammies are all workout clothes. LOL If leave the house I change upon re entering. Still workout clothes though.

I forgot to add the easiest, tastiest roast chicken recipe in the world (OK, that might be hyperbole:D) to my earlier post so here it is:

Zuni Café Chicken

4832081585089833229.png

Use fresh or dried herbs. Use no herbs. Easy peasy and great for protein added to casseroles, tacos/burritos, salads, cold or hot; pot pies, etc. I don't flip it since my convection oven browns it well. If I need to flip the bird I'd use tongs.

Did I miss today's question, or wasn't one posted yet today? I need my fix! lol
It's in the thread's title:)

I missed it too!

The gist of it was that during this stay at home time, 8pm is the time to change out of our daytime pajamas and into our night-time pajamas :D

Love it!!

I haven't been on any local news sources since early this morning, but there was a story about Tom Brady changing football teams. - I figure if the news isn't ALL about coronavirus, then that's something good in itself!

Monkeydawn, thanks for sharing. While not quite the same, a similar idea is I do have designated pajama pants that I wear around the house during the day. I have separate bedtime pajamas. Before this all started, I'd change into the around the house PJ bottoms when I'd come home for the day before a later shower. ETA, :) Pollyanna mom glad you liked that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter