Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Question 3/25: What's a great weekend trip near where you live? Or What's a good weekend trip you have taken?

I love hearing about where people live and the fun things near them and a fun weekend trip near where the live. Where? What's to do? Most important what's to eat?
Last October and May 2018 we went to Skyline Drive for the weekend, and took our dog. We like to stay in the Sklyand Lodge. They have dog friendly buildings. And we eat in their dining room. The blackberry cobbler is to die for. We always make sure to leave room for it. Of course, hiking is the activity. Many breweries and wineries in the area too.
Chincoteague/Assateague, MD/VA - Chincoteague Seafood Festival is at the beginning of May (usually - who knows now)Great boating, fishing & camping

Beach - admittedly NOT my thing, Ocean City, MD reminds me of little Baltimore and it's trashy (my opinion, and mine only - I'm sure others think differently!!) Of all the Delaware/Maryland/Virginia beaches I'd go with Dewey/Rehoboth/Lewes area of Delaware.
We had a room booked in Chincoteague for the end of April but I don't think that is going to happen. I was really looking forward to going back there. And oysters are the seafood of choice for us there.

We go to Cape Henlopen, a Delaware State Park near Lewes, for a day trip often.

Easyas123 is very close to me so weekend trips are about the same distance.

Sedona....beautiful red rock
Grand Canyon, but we like longer than a weekend

Tucson....we like the Sonora Desert Museum
Flagstaff......planetarium, Petrified Forest
I wish those places were a weekend away. A beautiful part of the country.

Here the go-to is Banff, in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, which is 40 minutes down the road. Hundreds of thousands of visitors a year flock there for it's pristine beauty and because it is within a National Park, commercial development has been limited. It's not a circus with mountains but has some of the finest hotels and restaurants in Canada. A soak in the natural mineral springs, great food and wine and the deep sleep only mountain air can inspire makes for a very relaxing break.

I've been wanting to go to Salem for a long weekend now for a while - is it worth it?

Not the pp, but my husband and I had to go to Salem for a wedding a couple years ago and it is honestly top three favorite places I have been for a long weekend. It was really fun even just walking around the shops and such but they also have more structured activities and the like if you prefer.

Question 3/25: What's a great weekend trip near where you live? Or What's a good weekend trip you have taken?

Probably Santa Cruz, which is the closest to me from where I live. A good one that I've taken... Hmm, my favourite has to be to Monterey Bay for the aquarium. I love going there and we definitely weren't able to make it there as often as I'd have liked.

I love hearing about where people live and the fun things near them and a fun weekend trip near where the live. Where? What's to do? Most important what's to eat?
For the campers and nature lovers amongst us, there is Watch Hill. A quick commuter train ride to Patchogue, a ferry to the barrier island called Fire Island and a well kept boardwalk to get to your primitive campsite. This is the only National Seashore with camping that I'm aware of. I understand they have a limited amt of glamping sites now where you only need to bring clothing but haven't tried them yet. May never because the man gets a peculiar facial twitch when I mention camping nowadays :lmao:.

What to do? Loll in the sun, walk the trails, brisk swim in the Atlantic, kayaking. If you crave the night life take a long walk to the other Fire Island.

You eat what you bring w/ you for the best variety or in season dine at the concession stand or newly opened restaurant near the marina (great for boaters too!): hot dogs,hamburgers, and the like from the concession stand but no idea what the menu is at the restaurant.
No motorised vehicles allowed so cycle or walk. Should you have a lot of stuff bring a Red Flyer which will provide an easy carry all and the most noise you are apt to hear; love it there:).

Good news ....hmmm. Let's see besides noticing that the bldg's elevator buttons are now outfitted with sanitizing disks over the buttons (what a world, what a world!) I can offer another Metropolitan Diary:

Their Corolla
Dear Diary:
For years, my wife and I noticed a car parked in our neighborhood that was identical to our beige 2001 Toyota Corolla. We often mistook it for our car when we didn’t remember where we had parked.
When we traded our car in for a new one, we were left with a brand-new hubcap we had never used that did not fit the new car. We were about to throw it out when we noticed that our old car’s twin was missing a hubcap.
We went out one night and put it on the car’s bare rim.

A month later, we noticed the Corolla with the new hubcap parked in front of a building where we knew the doorman. Thinking the car might be his, we casually asked if it was.
He said it belonged to people who lived in the building. Then he smiled broadly.
“You’re the hubcap people!” he shouted.

DGD enjoyed her congee this morning, so much so that she had it for lunch too. Unusually, I followed the recipe almost to the letter but only because I had most of the ingredients on hand excepting the mint. Great way to keep leftovers from taking up space. Added dried Chinese sausage and shrimp and shiitake mushrooms since I've a ton of 'em in the house. Since the chicken was already cooked I just threw it in to heat through at the end. PS- you can use any kind of rice you have on hand and since the man hates cilantro, used parsley instead. Err had limes but didn't make sense to me so I finished w/ a little sesame oil. Gosh, guess I did change it round a lot, LOL. This is one of those dishes you can add most anything to:

https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/chicken-shrimp-and-rice-stew
Tonight, it's a sheet pan meal of hake fillets, garlic, parsley, and sweet peppers with marble potatoes. Dessert will be lemon gelato and gingersnaps.

I'm in Northeast Florida, and we have lots of fun areas here.

St. Augustine is always a favorite. Our favorite beach area is Anastasia Island (DD#2 got married there!). Ripley's museum is fun to go through.

https://www.nps.gov/timu/index.htm Timucuan Ecological & Historical Preserve

I live near the St Johns River, which is fun to boat on (unless you have seasickness, like me, then it's just fun to watch others).

Daytona is obviously a popular place, but we don't really like it there. The beach wasn't as nice as Anastasia.

Amelia Island is pretty, and has some cute touristy places.

Here we have a dinner theater, which is always fun (Alhambra) ; The Ritz Theater; The FL Theater (gorgeous, tiny tiny seats with zero leg room)

Not far from us is the Kissimmee Prairie Preserve and Lake Okeechobee. https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/kissimmee-prairie-preserve-state-park

Jacksonville arboretum & gardens is good for a hike in the "woods". https://www.jacksonvillearboretum.org/ Go to the bathroom before you arrive, though, cause it's outhouse style for the bathroom. :crazy2:

ETA: things are good here, at least for us. Making a risotto for dinner tonight, with some roasted vegetables, no meat. yay

My favorite weekend trip is probably Charleston. We went in mid April last month to celebrate my birthday. Found a delicious dessert bar and had many things on the menu I still need to try. I was hopeful we'd get a trip in this year as well but that is of course not going to happen now. Maybe in the fall for our Anniversary, I bet its really nice then too.

Three positives for today.

1. Sun was out more :)

2. At Target early this morning with my Dad and later at Von's during senior hours the friendliness of greeters and cashiers at sanitizing carts and conveyor belts. The Von's greeter was also so kind to wish everyone a good day. Blessing also we each were able to get needed items.

3. A few nice phone conversations.

The last weekend trip I took was to Disneyland for Candlelight. I got to meet a Dis-er family and the next day another person.

I'm just outside of Bangor, Maine, so weekend trips are a lot more fun in the summer. We are 1.5 hours drive from Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, so we usually do this as a day-trip, but it's a fun splurge to stay overnight, enjoy a lovely dinner, hang in the local watering holes, etc. at the end of a day of hiking, beach-walking, and exploring. Portland, ME is a 2 hour drive south and a favorite weekend destination. It's an up-and-coming small city with exciting night life, amazing food, lots of fun shops, breweries, etc. We can drive several hours either north or east and be in Canada; we have a great time driving out to Campobello Island to see FDR's summer home, or cross the border at Calais to explore St.Stephen, St.Andrew, and explore the Bay of Fundy. Of course, we can always drive north a bit and go to Baxter State Park, hike Katahdin, or white water raft. All great weekend destinations... but also better in the warm weather (unless you are into snowshoeing, skiing, or ice fishing)!

I didn't put anything down for our "good news" question yesterday, so here's my delayed answer:

Clay Egg Hunt* Who’s up for a social distance Easter egg hunt? Here’s how it works: Color an Egg. Cut it Out. Tape it up in a window facing the street. When you go on walks you can hunt for eggs & see how many can be found. #ClayEggHunt

*and it has a picture of Easter eggs you can print and color.

This popped up on my Twitter feed tonight.

Here in Kentucky the Natural Bridge/Red River Gorge area is beautiful year-round, but especially in the spring and fall. Great for hiking and either camping or renting a cabin.

Same for Mammoth Cave National Park. Cave tours, hiking, camping--the caves are spectacular.

A good thing that happened this week was our new car was delivered. :)

Weekend trips close to us are Door County (wine, breweries, food and beautiful nature), Wisconsin Dells, Madison, Chicago and Milwaukee. We don't head north too often into The Northwoods, but it's always an option. :)

Here in Kentucky the Natural Bridge/Red River Gorge area is beautiful year-round, but especially in the spring and fall. Great for hiking and either camping or renting a cabin.

Same for Mammoth Cave National Park. Cave tours, hiking, camping--the caves are spectacular.
We spent a long weekend in KY a few years ago doing the Bourbon Trail and had an amazing time. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter