Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

I must have missed most of yesterday but caught up now.

We did chalk the walk in our little neighborhood yesterday. Just me and two families with kids but it was nice to be outside in the sun and talk to humans - 6 feet apart.

Question for 3/27: What's has been a favorite vacation and why?
This is hard to narrow down to one, or two. I am grateful for every trip.
Our vacations with our son have been our favorites!
This rings true with me. Probably the best, if I have to pick one, was going out west (from Maryland) in May 2010. DS graduated college on a Friday. We came home Saturday, did laundry and repacked, and flew out Sunday. DD, 24, quit her job to take a summer job before going back to grad school. It was hard to get two weeks when everyone was available and DH was willing to be away form work for two weeks as self employed. We flew to Las Vegas, rented a minivan (a first for us} and drove to the Grand Canyon. Then to Sedona and back to Las Vegas for 2 nights. Off to Los Angeles then up the PCH through Monteray to San Francisco. Saw lots of sights. Four adults and we survived together. Took down times apart from each other for a few hours a couple of days to make it work. A really good memory was standing at the side of the Grand Canyon, first time for all but DH, and I told my kids I was sorry I didn't get them there sooner. DD said, "we probably wouldn't have appreciated it then.":love:
A nice delayed daily (from last night) message from my church senior pastor saying that there will definitely be an online Easter Worship service and sometime after it is safe to return to church we will also have an in church Easter celebration.
I saw that as a suggestion from our bishop. I think that is a good idea to celebrate Easter the first Sunday we can worship together in person.

Three good things:
D son-in-law went to the Amish market and bought me lots of produce this morning. They live about 35 minutes away and will probably visit Sunday with DGD 3 and the dog so they can run in our larger backyard.
Sun is shining.
I got mail from DGD yesterday, a colored picture of Ariel. I miss seeing everyone.

Happy Friday to all. We have made it another week kicking, screaming, crying or dragging each other through this difficult time. I have watched more tv than I ever have and I really don't like that either. Have ya'll paid attention to the new commercials on tv? I know that companies and restaurants are hurting but these commercials are almost making it worse with how serious and somber they are especially the car commercials.

We are doing okay here. I'm feeling blah today. It's raining and dark and it's weird to not really look forward to the weekend when more of the same. I am incredibly blessed with a good spouse and stable financial situation and not going to take that for granted. I'm going to work on my accounting homework this weekend. I'm taking this class to prepare to run a non profit. That's my next steps for me career wise I think and I want to understand everything inside and out. I do like to be in charge lol. I'm doing some side skype visits with some that need extra coaching through all this and frankly we all need that including myself.

Did you know you can play cd's in your blue ray? I'm not the smartest person around and we have thousands of cd's still. Yes, my husband can be semi pack rat and I have started playing random cd's during the day and evening as way to tune out the ugly and just relax.

Dinner tonight is spicy shrimp tacos with pineapple coleslaw and roasted broccoli.

Three things I'm thankful for:

1. Our financial stability
2. Good friends.
3. Music

Onto the question...

Question for 3/27: What's for dinner tonight? Share a favorite recipe..

I am getting tired of cooking. Haven't had take out or fast food in more than 2 weeks. Told hubby that I am NOT cooking tomorrow,,either he cooks or we get take out. Tonite will be made using the air fryer. Homemade fries, cod tenders, and I made some homemade coleslaw to go with it.

Trying to decide if I should add more calories by baking a dessert, but probably won't. Trying not to gain a zillion pounds through all of this!

I cook all the time for dinner anyway. Lunch is usually leftover, so now is no different for me. I also cook 2-3 meals a week for DS.
We watch a lot of TV and I love it. Don't watch commercials though. Most of our things are recorded.

We are having chili tonight......probably a green salad with it.

Have ya'll paid attention to the new commercials on tv?

A lot of them have been so serious, but I really enjoyed Hotels.com commercial for some reason. It's pretty simple, but I find it amusing.

Question for 3/27: What's for dinner tonight? Share a favorite recipe.

My husband is the cook, so I have no idea what he's planning for dinner tonight. Last night he prepared fish with string beans and tater tots. My own fav recipe is Eggless Banana Muffins, which I used to make to take into work once in a while. I'd make them vegan by substituting the butter for vegan butter and using dairy free chocolate chips. I'm not vegan myself, but I used to like having the option for my vegan coworkers.

Leftovers. Must make sure not to waste any food!

I had carrots and cream cheese that needed to be used up so I made this carrot cake and it was so good. I didn't have the pineapple so I substituted apple sauce and I added raisins, otherwise I followed the recipe. The cream cheese frosting was perfect and not sweet at all, just how I like it. https://neighborfoodblog.com/2019/0...ent=tribes&utm_term=1010735762_46207104_12871

We did a stir fry (we are eating dinner at lunch time, so DH can eat, work, then sleep through what would be our normal dinner time. With him working from home, he has to work overnight because he just can't get anything done, between the company servers being overloaded from 4000+ getting on all day long, and our internet slowing down occasionally throughout the day). Chicken thighs, a bag of Asian veggies, a couple bags of the new Birds Eye shredded veggies (one is broccoli, one is cabbage), and some stir fry sauce (house of tsang).

A favorite recipe:
Lemon Greek Soup (thanks Food Network Magazine)

Heat 3 TBLS olive oil in a large pot. Add 2 chopped carrots, 1 chopped onion, some salt and pepper, and cook 5 minutes to soften. Add 1 c. farro and cook to toast (1-2 min). Add 4 c. chicken broth and 3 c. water; cover, bring to a boil. Add 1 strip lemon zest. Reduce heat to medium low, simmer uncovered until farro is tender (15 minutes or so). Add 1 c. shredded rotisserie chicken.

Whisk 3 eggs and the juice of 2 lemons together. Slowly whisk 1/2 c. hot soup into the eggs, whisking constantly. Gradually add the egg mix into the soup, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and some dill.

Mix 1/2 c. crumbled feta and 1 TBLS fresh dill (or use dried); fill 2 pitas (halved) with the herbed feta and brush with olive oil. bake 2 -3 minutes at 350 to warm pitas and soften feta. Serve on the side.

*I like to use lots of dill. I also add more carrot and onion and chicken. Sometimes, I cook the farro separately, as it swells if it sits in the soup. Sometimes I'll add celery or broccoli to the soup, during the saute.

I did some yard work yesterday and OMG...I'm paying for it today. :scared: :laughing: I am so sore....I haven't done much since my last half day of work Tuesday of last week, so I have to make sure I'm doing some kind of activity everyday or I'm going to be in trouble when this is over. :laughing:

Today hubby and our daughter(both are essential workers) are both working, so it's the first day I've been home ALONE all day in a few weeks. DD works different shifts and hubby has been going back and forth from working at home to the job site. I'm an introvert and love my alone, quiet time so I'm soaking it all up while I can.

I'm not sure I'm making dinner tonight...I think I want to go get takeout from somewhere. I'm going to wait until hubby gets home to see what he feels like. We usually do breakfast or dinner out with our best friends almost every weekend and hubby suggested we pick up some food, drop some off with our friends and then have dinner together via video chat. :rotfl:If we decided to do that, it will tomorrow so dinner tonight will just be fend for yourselves. :thumbsup2 I'll make myself tacos, hubby will probably have a sandwich, and DD would probably do pasta.

My recipe to share is a family favorite...it so good and sooo easy.

Easy stroganoff

You need:
Package of egg noodles
2 lbs ground beef
2 small cans or 1 large can Cream of mushroom soup (we like it creamer so we use the large one)
Sour cream
Garlic powder, salt and pepper for seasoning.

Cook the egg noodles, while that's cooking, brown Ground beef, drain fat if you need too. Season with garlic powder. Add Cream of mushroom soup to the cooked ground beef. Mix it all together and add to the drained noodles when they are done. Mix up again and then add in at least one cup of sour cream, mixing again. We like it creamy so I add a little more. Season with salt and pepper.

Easy peasy and sooo good. We usually have corn and garlic bread with it.

Good thing in my life:

Joined a building committee to collect tablets, laptops, smartphones, and desktops to be repaired if need be and given to a local charity for senior citizens and children who need them.

Yesterday, DGD, heated her own lunch from the night before's dinner. You might think this is no biggie (gosh knows I don't what w/ her being 14 but the man was being a Nervous Nellie and sure that she'd burn herself, LOL).

Finally scored a decent amt and quality of TP @ Target. Also since they had pot pies and Light Cuisine meals on sale there, bought some in case I get sick and the house people are milling around wondering what's to eat. Apparently, the same god rules the fridge and chest freezer. You know the one that says if you move anything from the front of a shelf a bolt of lightening will shoot out the fridge and electrocute you? He also puts people in trances so they are forced to stare motionless into the fridge. Some things never change from one generation to the next;).

Last night's dinner was good and fast to make. You can substitute thighs or drumsticks for wings by changing the cooking time. I served it w/ rice, steamed bok choy, and the cuke relish. There were no leftovers. Used 1-1/2 lbs of wings (9 wings in total) and it served 3 people :

Spicy Lacquered Chicken Wings

David Tanis
  • Yield 4 to 6 servings (18 to 20 wings)
  • Time 1 hour, plus at least 1 hour’s marinating

Saved

EmailShare on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Twitter

Spicy Lacquered Chicken Wings

Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times

Here is a remarkably sophisticated though dead simple take on classic dude food: chicken wings that work just as well in front of a football game on the television as at a Chinese New Year party. They are sweet, spicy, sticky, fragrant and full-flavored, and they have a fine, shiny lacquered coat. Top with a scallion and cucumber relish spiked with roasted peanuts, sesame oil and hot red peppers. A bed of sliced juicy navel oranges can serve as a foil to the spicy heat.

Featured in: Sating The Fiery Dragon, Or That Fired Up Pigskin Fan.

Asian, Chicken Wing, Scallion, Spice, Appetizer, Dairy Free, Gluten Free

Ingredients
  • 3 pounds meaty chicken wings, tips removed
  • Salt
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons rice wine or sherry
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ teaspoon five-spice powder
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
  • 1 small cucumber, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 6 scallions, slivered
  • 2 or 3 small hot red chiles, very thinly sliced (or hot green chiles), optional
  • 2 tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 handful cilantro leaves
  • 2 navel oranges, sliced

• Nutritional Information

Preparation

1. Rinse the wings, pat dry, season lightly with salt and put them in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, five-spice powder, cayenne and orange zest, then pour over the wings and massage well. Let marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or refrigerate (overnight is fine) and bring to room temperature.
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Arrange the wings in one layer in a low-sided baking dish or roasting pan (or use 2 pans) and place on middle shelf. Every 8 to 10 minutes, brush the wings with the marinade from the pan, adding 3 or 4 tablespoons water to dissolve the juices as necessary. Continue until well browned, glazed and cooked through, about 40 to 45 minutes. The wings may be cooked ahead and reheated if desired.
  3. Pile the wings on a warm platter. Quickly assemble the garnish. In a small bowl combine the cucumber, scallions, chiles, crushed peanuts and sesame oil. Season with salt, toss lightly and scatter over the wings. Sprinkle with the cilantro. Surround with orange slices and serve.
Cooks Note:
The sauce as written is too thin to lacquer the meat, so after marinating the wings in the fridge, I poured off the liquid and cooked it in the microwave until half the liquid was left. Then added one tsp of black soy cause (you can use tamari instead) and a drizzle of honey. Stir and brush on as above.

I saw no reason to make the cucumber relish at the end; made it while the chicken was cooking; probably could have been made hours earlier. Remember that cilantro can be switched to parsley instead. The man doesn't like cilantro so I used the parsley and added it directly into the cuke relish. Don't forget to rib the pepper and discard the seeds or it may be too hot for your tongue. Finally, I had navel oranges on hand but can't see why most any orange wouldn't work. DGD ate her portion of the oranges and then grabbed a clementine for more citrus flavor.

I wasn't sure if this recipe will open w/o a subscription which is why I C+P'd it.
Here's the link as well:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes...pe=recipebox-page&region=chicken wings&rank=0

I did some yard work yesterday and OMG...I'm paying for it today. :scared: :laughing: I am so sore....I haven't done much since my last half day of work Tuesday of last week, so I have to make sure I'm doing some kind of activity everyday or I'm going to be in trouble when this is over. :laughing:

Today hubby and our daughter(both are essential workers) are both working, so it's the first day I've been home ALONE all day in a few weeks. DD works different shifts and hubby has been going back and forth from working at home to the job site. I'm an introvert and love my alone, quiet time so I'm soaking it all up while I can.

I'm not sure I'm making dinner tonight...I think I want to go get takeout from somewhere. I'm going to wait until hubby gets home to see what he feels like. We usually do breakfast or dinner out with our best friends almost every weekend and hubby suggested we pick up some food, drop some off with our friends and then have dinner together via video chat. :rotfl:If we decided to do that, it will tomorrow so dinner tonight will just be fend for yourselves. :thumbsup2 I'll make myself tacos, hubby will probably have a sandwich, and DD would probably do pasta.

My recipe to share is a family favorite...it so good and sooo easy.

Easy stroganoff

You need:
Package of egg noodles
2 lbs ground beef
2 small cans or 1 large can Cream of mushroom soup (we like it creamer so we use the large one)
Sour cream
Garlic powder, salt and pepper for seasoning.

Cook the egg noodles, while that's cooking, brown Ground beef, drain fat if you need too. Season with garlic powder. Add Cream of mushroom soup to the cooked ground beef. Mix it all together and add to the drained noodles when they are done. Mix up again and then add in at least one cup of sour cream, mixing again. We like it creamy so I add a little more. Season with salt and pepper.

Easy peasy and sooo good. We usually have corn and garlic bread with it.
We picked up sticks in the yard.So many sticks.More sticks than grains of sand on a beach.We have more sticks.....

Spaghetti Squash shrimp Alfredo
1. put out a hummingbird feeder to attract bees. If you don't have bees, then use a Q-tip and share the pollen between the male flowers and female flowers.

2. After three months harvest the football shape squash and store till March in the top loading washing machine in the corner of your garage.
2a, in the fall they should be available for 89-1.09 cents a pound in the store.

3. Microwave for 12mins., then find the largest, most dangerous knife in you kitchen and split the squash from pole to pole.

4. wrap both halves in plastic wrap, put one in the fridge and the other half, after scraping out seeds, in the microwave for 6 more minutes.
5. take a fork and scrape out the flesh and watch the magic spaghetti appear.
6. Open your favorite jar of alfredo sauce and warm in sauce pan full of thawed frozen shrimp.
7. pour over top of squash and twirl your fork....bye-bye pasta.

No dinner plans here but last night I had 4 hard boiled eggs left that I had intended for work snacks. Since it was my weekend and I didn't want them sitting any longer, I made a quick egg salad on toast like my mom used to make for me way back. I didn't have any sweet pickles to add but it was still pretty tasty.

So I ended up making 5 cheese tortellini and alfredo with roasted veggies(cauliflower, sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts).

No one ate...:rolleyes: Hubby made a sandwich while I was cooking and DD was too tired to eat so she just went to bed early since she has to work again tomorrow.

I could've just ate my beloved tacos....:sad2::laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter