Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

@Kirby , A Beach Wish by Shelley Noble. Sort of a beach read. I have 3 new books from the library for the beach.
Thank you! I'm in a book club and our July pick was Slightly South of Simple by Kristy Woodson Harvey. It's part 1 of three and definitely a beach read.

Speaking of books, does anyone else stockpile books?
I'll read reviews of books that sound interesting, or come across them while browsing. Then if something strikes my fancy I put it in my Amazon cart and then when I'm ready for some new books I'll go thru what I've put in there and pick a few that appeal to me at the moment.
One of my favorite pre-trip activities is a leisurely walk around the Barnes & Noble and picking up a few books for the trip.
I love walking around Barnes and Noble. I would go broke if I began buying books there! I have a stack of about 50 books waiting to be read in my craft closet. :laughing: I have a number of them also sitting in my Amazon shopping list waiting for the price to come down.

I don't remember any particular piece of advice from a teacher. Most of the good teachers I had encouraged students to do their best and ask for help if you don't understand something. My older DS's 4th grade teacher advised me to tell him to do math the way she teaches it and no other way. He had found his own way to do math problems. I asked her if the work and the answers were correct and she said yes. I also asked if his way was considered a good way to do it too and she said yes, So I asked what the issue was. She said he wasn't doing it her way. I am not sure if she saw my eye roll! Older DS is one of those super bright people who figures things out on his own. That is the only advice I got. I did tell DS what she said but he ignored it. Can't say I didn't try! LOL!
My son, James, is dyslexic and is very good at math. In college, he was getting a mechanical engineering degree, I don't remember what higher level of math he was taking but he was working the problems out differently than the professor wanted him to and still getting them correct. He told the professor that he was dyslexic (he is) and looked at things differently so the professor told him that he didn't have a problem with how he came up with the answer but would like to see that he could do it the way he was teaching also. Not to bash teachers, my daughter is one, but I think that sometimes some of them forget that not everyone fits in the same square hole.

Not sure what we are having for dinner tonight. Maybe we'll order out............

I'm enjoying reading all sorts of thoughtful advice from teachers.

I had a French teacher in college that was very well travelled. I enjoyed it when she'd talk about her adventures. She included great practical advice, tips. It sparked a real interest in travel for me.

Today is my birthday. I'm having a very nice day! Family sent me some lovely flowers. :flower3:
We're picking up dinner, and then cake later. :cake:

Hope everyone has a nice rest of your day. :flower:

@apirateslifeforme Ugh....how awful. I hope your power comes back on very soon.

Questions I missed....

QOTD Aug 5th....Breakfast
So normally I don't eat breakfast at home unless we have company or on the weekend hubby says he wants us to make breakfast one day. I'm not really a breakfast food person, I'm much rather eat other foods for breakfast than regular breakfast food so if I'm making breakfast then I'm making what I like. I'll make biscuits and gravy with scrambled eggs, chorizo with eggs and potatos or chilaquiles with fried egg. I'm not an egg lover so I'll eat all those without.

QOTD Aug 6th....advice from teachers
I can't think of anything a teacher ever said to me that really stuck. When I think back about my school experience, my teachers weren't really inspiring, to me at least, and that's kinda sad.

I'm enjoying reading all sorts of thoughtful advice from teachers.

I had a French teacher in college that was very well travelled. I enjoyed it when she'd talk about her adventures. She included great practical advice, tips. It sparked a real interest in travel for me.

Today is my birthday. I'm having a very nice day! Family sent me some lovely flowers. :flower3:
We're picking up dinner, and then cake later. :cake:

Hope everyone has a nice rest of your day. :flower:

Happy Birthday :cake:

Speaking of books, does anyone else stockpile books?

Kind of. I have a bookshelf dedicated to books on topics I enjoy: a shelf for astronomy, a shelf for chemistry, a shelf for biology, and a shelf for fiction. I enjoy collecting books for each for people to look at when they visit.

Currently planning out my new office decor for when we eventually move and I have my own office. Finding furniture I like is already proving to be difficult. Finding lots of cool stuff for my walls, though.

Happy Birthday, Gwynne! Hope it's been a great one!

Well...it's been 54 hours now. Still no power. We took some more food to my in-laws' house (they now have power, as does my SIL) and there were crews all over the roads in MA. No crews at all in CT. For those of you wondering, we live in Enfield...not exactly the middle of nowhere. For some reason, too, the number of outages are going up (yet Eversource claims the percentage is going down). Our governor is angry...and so am I. I can't sleep on that recliner another night.

Happy Birthday, Gwynne! Hope it's been a great one!

Well...it's been 54 hours now. Still no power. We took some more food to my in-laws' house (they now have power, as does my SIL) and there were crews all over the roads in MA. No crews at all in CT. For those of you wondering, we live in Enfield...not exactly the middle of nowhere. For some reason, too, the number of outages are going up (yet Eversource claims the percentage is going down). Our governor is angry...and so am I. I can't sleep on that recliner another night.

would you be able to spend a night or two at in-laws? That might help you get a decent nights sleep-
Regardless, hope you get power back soon! I have family/friends who still don’t have electricity from Dorian, I it’s no fun in the humidity that’s for sure.

@apirateslifeforme --My ex sister in law is in Chicopee. They lost power Wed nite due to 2 big trees coming down, but said their's was restored by 11 am yesterday. Why on earth is it taking so long to get repair crews in Enfield? You are right, you are not in the boonies or in a secluded section of the state there. There is no excuse for it and I would be upset as well. Your Governor has to get on the ball and get those crews moving. Sending prayers and pixie dust that it's restored today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter