Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Meriweather! You need to make us all a cake! That looks so good and moist!

Hug, thanks Sparkle. I do agree. When I would do camps at church, those kids were always starving. I think a lot of them just did not eat much breakfast or they did at least a couple hours before coming to camp. Could also be because young kids are always hungry.

Wow! I did not know that but it sort of makes sense because you would fill up more later as well.

Teacher? is hard at after 8pm at night :d (It feels much later) I think at least one teacher in college must have said the first time you intentionally skip one class, the easier it is to keep doing so. They were right. Plus the other good advice is to know whether you feel/do best early or later and try to schedule classes at that time.

QOTD Wednesday, August 5th: It’s time for breakfast! You can eat at home, or you can go out. What are you having?

Ah... Well, I'd love a croissant sandwich with egg, cheese, and sausage. Oooh, or a sausage, egg, and cheese McGriddle. (It's still Wednesday for me :D)

QOTD: Thursday, August 6 th. ( I’m an hour early for the east coast)
What piece of advice or saying do you remember from a teacher ?

Huh, so weirdly enough, I don't really have any one particular piece of advice from teachers. In junior high and high school, I did hang around my teachers a lot due to the programs I was in so I picked up a lot from them over the years. Even after I went to college, I'd still swing by to visit my high school teachers since the building was on the way home.

The biggest thing though was the time and attention they gave to me, especially when I needed it (most often, I really didn't but I hung around to read extra books at leisure). That to me showed that it doesn't have to take a whole lot to be on the same level with a younger person, regardless of age. That's a great lesson when you're a kid yourself.

It's 4:15 in the morning and I can't sleep. I think I am excited about leaving for vacation Friday. This is our first vacation since the first week of August last year. In my head, I keep planning my packing .

Can't say I remember anything much from childhood but I'll keep thinking. I do remember one thing our kids' middle school principal said to DH and me when discussing college..."In state, In state, In state." We quoted this often. LOL

And all this talk of breakfast makes me want to go to Chick-Fil-A for a breakfast sandwich. Followed by a slice of chocolate cake.

Lol, @Breezy_Carol I can't, either. That's exciting, though. I hope you have a nice trip! Your middle school principal was wise! So did your kids go in state?

QOTD: Thursday, August 6th.What piece of advice or saying do you remember from a teacher ?

I have been pondering this question about teachers, too. I, too, can probably think of more specific advice from my kids' teachers ("Let them do it themselves"). But what keeps coming back to me about my own (in parochial school) is mainly the value of logistics of prayer, i.e. the why and how. That gave me something to sink my teeth into as far as having a focus goes, so that was good advice, or teaching, for me, that lasted a lifetime. Each time I pray I still picture on of my teachers who taught me that particular prayer sequence that I still say to this day. We said it every day in 8th grade.

Lol, @Breezy_Carol I can't, either. That's exciting, though. I hope you have a nice trip! Your middle school principal was wise! So did your kids go in state?
They did. Maryland has a varied collection of state colleges and universities. Both kids went to University of Maryland in College Park. It was a good fit for them both. About 1 hour 45 minutes away so close enough they could get home but far enough that we didn't drop in without calling first.

Greetings and salutations. It appears that our internet has been restored, so at least there is that. It was very spotty yesterday. It is almost 5:30 a.m. on Thursday, so that means it's been 38 hours with no power. However.. yesterday at 8 a.m. there were 4865 people in town without power. Around 3, 3:30 it said 3184. At 6 p.m. it was 3134. I just checked now and it's at 1520 (or thereabouts). Fingers crossed that it will be today!

All of the ice cream we just bought over the weekend had to tossed. Josh was upset...me, too, as it was my good Turkey Hill and it had been on sale. DH came home early and we managed to get most of the rest of our frozen food down to my SIL, as they have a generator and giant freezer. She also had a car charger for my phone that died (and I can't find my car charger...I know I have one but I have no clue where it went). I've now slept in a recliner downstairs in front of the open patio door, as it's almost 90 degrees in our bedroom. My ribs are killing me and my head is throbbing.

It's amazing how dependent we really are on electricity. Even more so than back in the 70s and 80s. Praying very hard that we're restored today and can put this behind us.

Greetings and salutations. It appears that our internet has been restored, so at least there is that. It was very spotty yesterday. It is almost 5:30 a.m. on Thursday, so that means it's been 38 hours with no power. However.. yesterday at 8 a.m. there were 4865 people in town without power. Around 3, 3:30 it said 3184. At 6 p.m. it was 3134. I just checked now and it's at 1520 (or thereabouts). Fingers crossed that it will be today!

All of the ice cream we just bought over the weekend had to tossed. Josh was upset...me, too, as it was my good Turkey Hill and it had been on sale. DH came home early and we managed to get most of the rest of our frozen food down to my SIL, as they have a generator and giant freezer. She also had a car charger for my phone that died (and I can't find my car charger...I know I have one but I have no clue where it went). I've now slept in a recliner downstairs in front of the open patio door, as it's almost 90 degrees in our bedroom. My ribs are killing me and my head is throbbing.

It's amazing how dependent we really are on electricity. Even more so than back in the 70s and 80s. Praying very hard that we're restored today and can put this behind us.
Oh, boy. What a pain! We have Eversource, too! 😬 Thankfully we lost power for just a short time the other night. I hope it's fully restored for you, soon! Cool showers!

QOTD: Thursday, August 6 th.

9'th grade English teacher-(and he was a hottie!, lol!) He said always try your best. You can't get something perfect every time, and even if you fail- there's no shame in that. If you know that you did your best, no matter what the outcome, then you have succeeded in some way. I have thought back on that many many times over the course of my lifetime.

@apirateslifeforme I hope your power comes back on soon. What a shame about all your Turkey Hill ice cream melting, I would have been sitting there with a BIG spoon eating it as much of it as I could before it melted all away~

We have a nice cool 63 degrees outside right now, they are calling for a high of 73 with just a chance of showers. The 90 degrees comes back early next week, so I am going to enjoy this 'cooler' weather while we have it! Have a great day everyone!!!

“Translate and work backwards.”

From a math teacher in junior high. A friend and I had read the book Cheaper by the Dozen, and were wondering why a math trick that the author described learning as a kid actually worked. So we asked our teacher after class one day, and instead of just telling us, he spent a little more time and gave us the tools to figure it out. That confidence boost (and the realization that mathematicians is a language) stuck with me.

“Sign up for stuff.”

Another math teacher - 11th grade, and probably not in those exact words. 😆 He did, however, nudge me to boost the “activities” section of my college applications. Formerly shy student found out it really was fun to get involved, and did more of it in college - leading to precious memories and relationships, and more of that confidence stuff.

A college professor urged us to spend time learning about the area the college was in, and to spend weekends exploring. My college was known as a suitcase college, it was mostly empty on weekends. I took his advice and made friends and memories there.

I passed along that advice to our sons. We all smile when remembering my mantra about FL. “There’s more to FL than WDW,” is what I would say when we took our FL vacations every three years. 5 nights in WDW, and 5 nights exploring FL. Bahia Honda and Blue Springs State Parks, as well as the Everglades were favorite destinations!

Nothing profound - both both my SIL & I recall our middleschool home economics teacher drilling it into everyone what measuring cups to use for what substance, and how to properly look at/measure liquid. We had her at different times, but evidently she used the same spiel for each class!
And we both recall her wigs....they were horrible!

nothing memorable from teachers

Sorry about all the melted ice cream :( So sad.

I love to bake. Used to do it a lot more. Can't eat much of it anymore, so just back to it for the grand kids.
The cake and frosting recipe I use is :

Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake and also Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Frosting. Soooooo good

Violina, making sure kids know they are valued is a priceless Blessing and gift to give. So glad your teachers were there for you!

I'm so sorry, apirateslifeforme, hugs :(

LOL, Lynxstch, ice cream does need to be rescued! (grab a spoon quick :))

Prayers today is a calmer and cooler day for all!

Last edited:
Also finished a book that I really enjoyed. And did laundry for vacation.
What book was it? I'm always looking for a good book to read.

@Meriweather , that is just mean. :rotfl2:
:rotfl:

My old high school science teacher use to drill into our heads how BREAKFAST IS THE MOST important meal of the day ! Doesn’t have to be cereal or oatmeal . It can be cold pizza or peanut butter crackers. If you wake up at 6 am, think High school student, and don’t eat lunch till 11:30 am. Then whatever you do eat is stored as fat because your body is in starvation mode. But if you get up at 6 am and at least grab crackers and a water at 7 am running out the door. Then when you eat lunch, your body won’t be in panic mode and will burn some of the calories.
Shared this story, only because you all have become my friends and I want you around for a long while.
I've never heard it explained that way. Thank you! I'm the only breakfast eater in my family, my husband and kids would just as soon skip breakfast.

I don't remember any advice that my teachers gave but I do remember that my typing teacher was so disappointed that I chose to enter the Ag Coop work program instead of VOE my senior year of high school.

Speaking of books, does anyone else stockpile books?
I'll read reviews of books that sound interesting, or come across them while browsing. Then if something strikes my fancy I put it in my Amazon cart and then when I'm ready for some new books I'll go thru what I've put in there and pick a few that appeal to me at the moment.
One of my favorite pre-trip activities is a leisurely walk around the Barnes & Noble and picking up a few books for the trip.

I don't remember any particular piece of advice from a teacher. Most of the good teachers I had encouraged students to do their best and ask for help if you don't understand something. My older DS's 4th grade teacher advised me to tell him to do math the way she teaches it and no other way. He had found his own way to do math problems. I asked her if the work and the answers were correct and she said yes. I also asked if his way was considered a good way to do it too and she said yes, So I asked what the issue was. She said he wasn't doing it her way. I am not sure if she saw my eye roll! Older DS is one of those super bright people who figures things out on his own. That is the only advice I got. I did tell DS what she said but he ignored it. Can't say I didn't try! LOL!

I love the Hershey's perfectly chocolate cake and frosting. I make it for birthdays. Easy to make and so delicious.

I have stockpile of books near my chair in my living room. DH buys me books that I request for gifts. I hoard them until I have time to read them. A few will be going on vacation with me.

Sorry to hear about the spoiled food. I hope everything is back on soon.

DH is making supper tonight. He likes Jambalaya with andouille sausage and chicken. Not a fan but I have a night off so I will enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter