Quest for the West

ryley26

<font color=red>Theme Parks Co-Moderator<br><font
We are planning on doing this trip next summer. DW and I were interested in those have done the tour. What you thought and if you think teens would enjoy it. Thanks for your input Rich.

I certainly hope it is enjoyable for teens. DD picked this trip as her seniior present. We leave June 25 with our two teens. Two highschool aged kids. A soph and senior. I can't say from experience until after we go, but the promo stuff was appealing enough to our DD as she picked this trip.

Ears after you return please post a trip report or PM me about your trip.

Will do. We come back very late on July 1st. Hopefully I will have conquered the wash, and will post w/i a week upon return.

No rush will be in WDW during that time have fun with the wash.:lmao:

We did it last summer, if there wasn't so much to see in this world, I would do this tour again and again and again. Brooks Lake Lodge is awesome.
We did one pre-night and booked a tour with Teton School of Science and this was well worth it. The guide picked us up at the Wort at 6am for half a day and took us for lunch before dropping us back at the hotel to meet with Disney. There was a little overlap with the Disney tour, but if you have never been to this part of the world (and I hadn't) the overlap in the tours is not a issue.

Find them at "wildlifeexpeditions DOT org"

We were the only people with our biologist and he was fantastic. We worked with Disney and the Wort hotel, and they were able to keep us in the same room from our extra night, to our transition to the Disney tour.

Doing Spirit of America May 22 and hope to do Costa Rica next year.

found this trip report

xxx.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/article.aspx?request=DisplayArticle&articleId=372

Thought u might like to read
Replace the xxx with www

Ears, last month I started a thread titled 'Anyone going on Quest for the West Jun 25, 2008 - Jul 1, 2008??'. Check it out. We will be on your trip as well. Trying to gather who will be on this trip and so far it will be myself, DW and DS, and you. There is another family of four as well.

Thanks so much for the great summary of what looks like a fabulous trip. DH & are are going on this trip this July. Can't wait. It looks even better than I expected!

We are back, returned July 1st from Quest for the West. The trip was amazing. We took our 2 teens 17 and almost 15. I will say the bulk of the kids were from 8-12. There were 7 older (highschool/college age) teens. My teens had a great time. If you are able to, I would spend an extra day at Brooks lake Lodge. We did not, but I would have made the effort if I had known how wonderful this part of the trip is. We did arrive a day early(we were the only ones who did this), but I do not regret the decision. Between the altitude difference, time change, and maybe the motion sickness pill I took, I could barely stay awake. My kids loved the trip. Sometimes they hung out with the adults, and sometimes with the kids. I don't want to ruin any of the extras, but if you have specific questions I would be glad to answer.

We just got back from Costa Rica, and had a great time. The only down side was we where exhausted when we got home. The trip kept you busy from morning to night. How did you feel about this trip? Was there any time to relax? Thanks for any info.

I certainly hope it is enjoyable for teens. DD picked this trip as her seniior present. We leave June 25 with our two teens. Two highschool aged kids. A soph and senior. I can't say from experience until after we go, but the promo stuff was appealing enough to our DD as she picked this trip.

Let me know how you like it. We're thinking of doing this with our sons for a graduation trip also.

TK

First let me say we are from SE Michigan as well, Sterling Hgts to be specific. If you live close enough, maybe I could show you some pics. Both of my teens loved the trip. My graduating daughter cried on the plane ride home. To the first question, there is down time, but breakfast started at either 7 or 8 every morn. For the kids, they would have loved one sleep in day somewhere in the middle. The fist morn is a "downtime morn" so you could have slept in there, you would have just missed your prepaid breakfast. There are a few scheduled downtimes, two evenings, and one morning. Most days ended with dinner as well. The end of the trip is Brooks Lake lodge, and other than the meals, this is all downtime. The lodge has all kids of activities, and you can do as much or as little as possible. My biggest "if only I had known" would have been to schedule an extra day at the lodge. I don't know how much it is per night, but it is an all inclusive deal. You get lodging, food, and activities for the price. The meals at the lodge were outstanding. The manager of the resort is a Michigan native. My kids liked the beginning of the trip, and the end of the trip best. I can not say enough about the time at the lodge. It was the BEST.:goodvibes

We leave for Jackson this Friday, we added an extra day at the beginning and will be traveling from Long Island most of the day. We've booked a hot air balloon ride for Saturday morning and then we'll have the rest of the day to relax until the welcome reception. Is there anything you would recommend we do that day ...or is resting a good idea?

I was wondering a few things... how cool (cold!) did it get at night or in the early morning? Will a sweatshirt be enough? If you miss the prepaid breakfast can things be purchased? While we plan to be very casual, what was the dressiest event, and what would be appropriate to wear?

My DD 11, is prone to motion sickness, how much time daily is spent on a bus? What was the boat ride like? How long?
Were you supplied with bottled water, or should we pack plastic bottles to fill daily?

We're so excited about the trip. :cool1: :yay: :cheer2:
Now we're down to the nitty gritty...packing! I'm going to pull out suitcaases today and just start filling them up. Any packing recommendations? Anything you wish you had brought?

I'm thrilled that your teens loved it so much. I'm praying for another young girl my DD's age!! But she'll manage anyway.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thanks so much for the information on how much free time is included in the Adventure. I have found that for our family, as much as we enjoy seeing everthing, we need some time to just relax and absorb our surrondings. It sounds like Brooks Lake Lodge would be a great place to do this.

I hope I hit all your questions, if not let me know. For the extra day we walked to Snow King resort and did the alpine slide, putt putt golf, and scenic chair ride. Most people took their kids on the alpine slide for the free morning, but this was all they had time for. If you only had time for one, I would do the slide.
Every night goes down to the upper thirties, lower forties. We never had anything more than a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. the daytime was in the seventies. Do not pack any dressy clothes, i can not think of one place you would wear them.
Everything in Jackson Hole is within walking distance of the hotel. All the restaurants are very casual. For breakfast our extra morning we went to the Bunnery. There was something for all tastes there.
As far as motion sickness, I had no problems, and trust me i am the worst. There is very little bus time. The long trek is to Yellowstone, and back. Each way maybe 1.5-2 hours. There is a half an hour ride each way for the white water rafting on the rafting company bus. The ride on Jenny Lake is basically to get to the trails, 5 minutes max.
As far as bottled water, it was readily available. the guides really pushed water on everyone to prevent altitude sickness. You will not need your own water bottles.
The two things I wished I would've packed was binoculars and one of those lanyard things that hooks on the neck of a water bottle. Disney called every family in our tour and warned us that it was currently snowing in Wyoming prior to our departure. So everyone packed less summer clothes and went heavy on the warmer. After 4 days most of the group was running out of shorts/tshirts, and between the 4 of us we probably had one whole suitcase full of clean jeans and sweatshirts. The snow was just starting to melt at Brooks Lake, so anything off the beaten path is MUD. If you do not have hiking shoes, than bring that pair of shoes you really don't want anymore.
Enjoy your trip. I am so jealous.

Thanks for the reports. We are looking forward to booking our trip for next summer. Sounds like everyone has had a great time.

First let me say we are from SE Michigan as well, Sterling Hgts to be specific. If you live close enough, maybe I could show you some pics. Both of my teens loved the trip. My graduating daughter cried on the plane ride home. To the first question, there is down time, but breakfast started at either 7 or 8 every morn. For the kids, they would have loved one sleep in day somewhere in the middle. The fist morn is a "downtime morn" so you could have slept in there, you would have just missed your prepaid breakfast. There are a few scheduled downtimes, two evenings, and one morning. Most days ended with dinner as well. The end of the trip is Brooks Lake lodge, and other than the meals, this is all downtime. The lodge has all kids of activities, and you can do as much or as little as possible. My biggest "if only I had known" would have been to schedule an extra day at the lodge. I don't know how much it is per night, but it is an all inclusive deal. You get lodging, food, and activities for the price. The meals at the lodge were outstanding. The manager of the resort is a Michigan native. My kids liked the beginning of the trip, and the end of the trip best. I can not say enough about the time at the lodge. It was the BEST.:goodvibes

We live in Dexter. I'd love to get together and see your pics! We just got our ABD packet in the mail but no info on the 2009 adventures. Guess I'll have to wait like everyone else. Thanks for all the information :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter