• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

question about the Polynesian in the 70's

Tikiman

He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e wai
Well I am sure not too many would expect this but I have a Polynesian question for those who visited in the 70’s-early 80’s. Who remembers the South Seas Room buffet? Can anyone tell me where it was located in the GCH? I have seen pictures from 1981 but I can not contact the owner of the photos to ask any questions or use the pictures. I had heard rumors about this place but I have never gotten any answers about it. Any info would be great.

Aloha

Steve

Our first stay was in 1983. At that point the South Seas had a character buffet breakfast...the first one we went to...and a buffet dinner. I don't believe we ever had dinner there. My husband is not a big fan of buffets much less for dinner.:D It was on the first floor where the Wyland (sp?) Gallery is now.

That makes sense since the concierge lounge was not around till 1990 and they had the lounge in the area where the gallery is now so before that the South Seas Room was there. Now it is all making sense. I don't suppose you have any pictures?

Thanks

Steve

I don't think I do but I'll check. I admire the pictures that you and others post that do such a great job of showing the resorts. Most of our pictures focus on our children :D

We were there back in 83, 85 & 90. I remember a building away from the GCH it had a buffet breakfast. If you walked out of the GCH it was down away on your right. I don't remember lunch, but we had Thanksgiving dinner there one year. It has been several years since we have been at the Poly. so I don't know what is there. I think the name was something 'Terrace'.
This may not be what you were looking for.

dizkids2...that was Tangaroa Terrace. They used to have the famous Tonga Toast for breakfast.

Tikiman, I did find pictures but mostly all that is in view is our sons with Minnie, Pluto and Goofy. Do you have questions about the decor? The wallpaper is light colored and looks more like what you would have seen at the GF when it first opened.

Oh and Tangaroa Terrace was not a buffet in our early stays. Later you could do the buffet or order off the menu. I loved that buffet as well as its precurser in what is now 'Ohannas.

Before it was O'Hana it was called the Papeete Bay Verandah. They had a breakfast buffet, but I'm remembering ordering off the menue at night. It was a prettier place than it is now and I really miss it. Sorry I don't have photos.

Papeete Bay Verandah...I couldn't remember the name for the life of me. Yes, I was referring to its' breakfast buffet which was so good. I, too, only remember a regular dinner menu with a small combo playing.

Yes I know of and remember Pepeete Bay Verandah (named after the capitol of Tahiti) and Tangora Terrace which was still open when we were there in 1998. I have seen pictures of Seven Seas Room and it was all bamboo and earth tones. I am trying to get permission to add the photos to my pages and I hope to add some info.

Mahalo

Steve

Wow! Thanks for recalling a great memory from '77! Dad took me to WDW for the first time. Since I was a young teen back then, Dad didn't want me to go hungry, so we often ate at that buffet. I believe it might have cost all of 6 or 7.95.

My pictures don't show earthtones. The one wall that shows fairly well has white pillars on a light taupe or very light green background. There are a few vines and ferns in the background with a few coral flowers. The effect is very light and airy. The carpet is a bamboo and light moss green pattern. The chairbacks look like wrought iron with a light finish.

We ate at the Poly back in 1974, but at the age of 6, I don't remember much. I did get what i thought was a HUGE frosted glass that looked like a face from a totem pole. The ears were the handles of the glass. I wish I still had that glass...<sigh>.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures, and did not go back to the Poly until we stayed there in 1997. good luck in your search, though!

Aloha Steve!

I remember seeing the doors to the South Seas Room on the first floor of the GCH across the lobby from the registration desk. The room was to the right of the corridor that took you to the restrooms. I think the doors had frosted glass with palm leaves etched in them.

I'd love to see the pictures on your site, too!

Poly Pal

I dont know,but concierge was in the lobby and you could run in and out all day

I did get what i thought was a HUGE frosted glass that looked like a face from a totem pole. The ears were the handles of the glass. I wish I still had that glass....

Actually - I still have one!

We got it from our honeymoon in 1988 - I think it had a dessert or drink it. I seem to remember that you just had to ask your server and he / she would bring you a un-used one from the kitchen to take home with you.

I'll take a pic and post back here later.

(Drop me a PM if I forget).

I know they served maitais in those glasses. My DH always gets one to go for me and some years ago he paid extra and got the glass, too. I still have mine :D .

Well I got permission to use the Seven Seas Room photos I found from Disney Pix and he also has some great old lobby and pool photos. I can't wait to add them. Thanks to everyone for their information. I still have 3 of those glasses. One sits on my desk at work holding my pens but you always have to have the happy face side facing you. The sad face side is where the bad spirits will exit.

It has been confirmed that it was in the same location as the old Conceirge lounge and it was the original buffet (and the only for a long time) in WDW.

Aloha

I am off to Hawaii in a few days. See you when I get back.

Steve

Tikiman have a wonderful Hawaiian visit. Hope you do a report when you return. My boss is leaving for Hawaii in 2 weeks.

I'm so jealous this my dream vacation.

I have seen those glasses for auction on Ebay. Keep trying, or have someone who is registered to try every week for you. They usually sell for a few dollars, plus for shipping. Good luck. P.S. I have several myself :cool:

All the best, Wilma:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter