Question for anyone who lives in Northern CA

CindyH

Mouseketeer
We're leaving in August around noon, from the Bay Area. Taking I-5 down, of course. With 2 preschool-aged boys, I'm looking to get some energy expended during our meal stops.

Are there any places mid-way that have indoor play structures for kids? I know there's a McDonald's with an indoor play structure, but it's after the Grapevine (going south) and I figure at that point, might as well just keep plugging till we get to Anaheim.

Thanks! :wave:

I can't think of any places that have play structures, but we usually stop at the rest stops. We play frisbee or throw a ball around since they have big grassy areas.

There are at least 3 rest stops I can remember with grass areas right on the I5 and I know there are quite a few fast food places on the way down that I am sure have play areas but I cannot say for sure since we don’t eat fast food after seeing the movie “Super Size me”

If you leave real early you will have less traffic and they may sleep most of the way. We left on a Thursday at noon and it took almost 8 hours to get to Disneyland but on the way back we left early and it took less than 7 from Windsor Ca (north of Santa Rosa).

We're coming from Novato, so our trip will be about 30 minutes shorter than yours. :) Since we're leaving on a Tuesday, I figure there *should* be less traffic, although I'm still figuring on an 8-hour drive down.

If you go down 101 and out through Livermore to I5 it might take a little longer because of traffic. We cut over on Hwy 12 through Santa Rosa to 80 and than over the other Hwy 12 to I 5 so there was very little traffic but if you leave early you might have less traffic. Most of the traffic we hit was in LA.

We usually take 101 to the Richmond/San Rafael bridge, 80 through Berkeley, then 580 to I-5. I figure our heaviest traffic in the Bay Area will be on 80 in Berkeley, but luckily that's only a few miles.

I don't know LA very well - I'm not even sure what freeway I take, I just follow the signs to Anaheim and Disneyland. I don't like LA traffic, but I'm hoping we wind up there after 7pm, when it's a little lighter.

Let's see... along I-5, a few hours into your drive there is a Del Taco that has a play area indoors. I can't recall the exact location but it's between Patterson and Kettlemen City if that helps.

We have driven down from the Bay Area tons of times. For us, how good/bad a drive is with the kids is hit or miss. Most of them have been good, but...

We went down one time after work and thought it would be great for the little one to be asleep. She fell asleep at 7 which was her normal bedtime - we were psyched. Until we got to the hotel at midnight, couldn't transfer her to the bed and she was DONE sleeping. Endured an hour of crying, drove around OC for another hour and then fed her snacks until she went to bed at 4am!!!!

We will be on the road the 15th and are hoping for the best.
Better luck to you!

We frequently leave around 5 AM. It is easy going on traffic and when my son was younger he seemed to go back to sleep in the car when we left that early. We have never seen back ups (except during tully fog season :earseek: ) when we leave so early and it gets us into Anahem before rush hour(s) and just in time for check in.

There is a large play structure somewhere in between - well before Buttonwillow I think. I believe there is a very large Travel America station on the same block.

We frequently stop at the Apricot Tree near Coalinga --- nice and clean - interesting resturaunt. No play structure, but plenty of safe room to stretch.

Amybirds - Thanks for the info on the Del Taco. Would you by chance remember the exact city or exit name?

Luv2Scrap Disney - That does sound like a good plan gone wrong. :) Here's what I plan to do - my younger son has gymnastics that morning, and the older one will be in preschool. So, they both should have some energy expended, which hopefully will keep them in their seats for most of the trip.

We have a portable DVD player, with 2 screens, and I've been collecting lots of new DVDs for them. Also have been accumulating lots of books, toys, and hand held games for them, none of which they've never seen before, so hopefully that'll keep them occupied. (Have you seen Shrek 2? The scene where Donkey keeps asking "Are we there yet?"? My sons love that, and I'm really hoping they don't repeat the same line all the way down to DL!) :D

I plan to stop for dinner along the way around 4:30-5pm. A chance to stretch our legs, and let the LA rush hour traffic subside. Then onto Anaheim, and if we time it right, check in and unpack and maybe catch a little fireworks from the street before going to bed.

My boys don't nap in the car, so I know they'll be ready for bed. Is there any way for you to leave earlier, instead of after work?

Thanks!

Thanks! Where in Northern California do you live? We're going Aug 3-7. Did your girls have fun?

Martinez. Oh yes, they had a ball! It was a surprise trip. My DH was so impressed by all the cool tips that I learned on these boards & the trip was such a success that he wants to go back soon. WooHoo! It was beautiful there. Clean, colorful, happy people, lovable characters.... yay! ::MickeyMo

Oh, that's great. My kids know we're going, but it's still far off in their minds - not mine! My DH says that if we ever win Lotto, he wants to buy one of the buildings in DL/DCA and live there. :)

CindyH said:
We usually take 101 to the Richmond/San Rafael bridge, 80 through Berkeley, then 580 to I-5. I figure our heaviest traffic in the Bay Area will be on 80 in Berkeley, but luckily that's only a few miles.

I don't know LA very well - I'm not even sure what freeway I take, I just follow the signs to Anaheim and Disneyland. I don't like LA traffic, but I'm hoping we wind up there after 7pm, when it's a little lighter.

If you leave Novato at noon you should miss most of the 80/580 traffic. I would worry more about Oakland to Livermore if you leave much later. That can be pretty brutal in the afternoon.

As far as LA you just stay on I5 all the way. That's the freeway that goes through Orange County.

I'm pretty sure the McDonald's in Buttonwillow has a play structure.
Have a great trip!!

CindyH said:
Thanks! Where in Northern California do you live? We're going Aug 3-7. Did your girls have fun?

I5 will be conjested that first week of August! I'm leaving from Mtn View on the 1st (via Sequoia Nat'l Park), returning on the 7th, and have at least 3 car loads of relatives heading down at various times between the 2nd and 7th from Sacto and San Jose.

As others have said, there's plenty of rest stops between Santa Nella and Lost Hills/Buttonwillow, but not much else. Harris Ranch is a pleasant stop near Coalinga, but no playground. I love Split Pea Anderson's in Santa Nella; again no playground, but kid friendly. There are a few fast food places with play areas after Buttonwillow as well. I recall that some of the places with play areas are well advertised by billboards. Perhaps it's worth stopping in Santa Nella and again closer to the Grapevine to break up the trip. But with the activities you've planned for the kids, they'll do fine.
By the way, just stay on I5 until you see the big Disney parking structure and the white mountain on the right side of the freeway.

There are plenty of places to stop along the way. As was mentioned Santa Nella has a Del Taco with a play structure. But again, as was mentioned, the rest stops have big grassy areas that you and the kids can play on to get the "wiggles" out. We have never had a problem finding a place to get out, go potty, get snacks, stretch etc.

BTW - we about 1.5 hours north of the 580 on 101. We always plan on 10 hours. But usually get there in less then 9. Our stops are always the Starbuck on Hopyard in Pleasanton, the TA just before the Grapevine, and then at least one other one.

Luv2Scrap Disney said:
We will be on the road the 15th and are hoping for the best.
Better luck to you!

We will be driving down that day, too, from Pleasant Hill. Our kids (luckily) have so far been really good in the car. They are used to long trips to So Cal and Eastern Washington. We also have a laptop which plays DVDs and a power converter so we can keep it running (although it is hard to prop the laptop up in the car ...).

The toughest part is we just added a newborn (well, 5 months now), which changes the travel pattern some (and, come to think of it, may make it a LOT harder to prop up the laptop).

Our ressies are not 'til the next day, so we can be leisurely, and get off the road for awhile if we need to. We have family we are planning on staying with that night (unless Priceline comes through with a reasonable hotel for the one night :earsboy: ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter