Question re Italian trip

profdsny

DIS Veteran
How did you get back to the US from Venice? Did you have to get back to Rome? How? Was that part of the cost of the trip or was it extra?
Thanks.

You leave from a relatively small airport (Marco Polo I believe) in Venice. There are very few, if any, direct flights back to the US. You will likely need to connect with a larger airport in Europe.

Before we changed our vacation plans we had a direct flight into Atlanta on Delta. I went to the VCE (Marco Polo Airport site) and it indicated that for today, flights were going to Atlanta, New York (JFK) and Philadelphia. I don't know if it differs on a daily basis.
We are flying out of Amsterdam now.

I would think going back to Rome would be extra, since it's not part of the ABD itinerary.

I' m guessing then that it will cost more to get back to Rome one way or another. It's more expensive to not fly round-trip from one city to another and back. How much did people pay extra to end the trip in Venice then get back to Rome?

We flew from Venice to Rome - we booked a round trip on Continental Newark/Rome - then flew from Venice to Rome via Air Italia. This was cheaper than booking a one way from NY/Rome and then one way Venice/NY. Someone in our group did this - but it really was not a big deal to fly from Venice to Rome - an hour, then a two houe layover in Rome. Some of it depends on how much time you have - there were two families that stayed longer in Venice, two that were flying to other European cities to continue their holidays, and at least one family that was traveling by train back to Rome, spending the night at a hotel in Rome airport, then flying home from there.

How did you get back to the US from Venice? Did you have to get back to Rome? How? Was that part of the cost of the trip or was it extra?
Thanks.

On our June Viva Italia trip, we left Venice from Marco Polo and flew Delta directly to JFK. We were told that this Delta flight is a daily direct flight from Venice. There was no connecting flight at all until JFK.

We are flying Delta from Peoria, IL to Atlanta and then to Rome. For the return we go direct from Venice to Atlanta and then back to Peoria. There really were no other flights from Peoria that worked well with our schedule or were a better priced than the Delta flights. We did look at going out of Chicago. But there were absolutely no direct flights anyway we went on the day we wanted to leave. So it was pretty much a no brainer for us. Since you pay for the flight separate, you'll want to check it both ways. I'm sure there is a train to Rome. But you will want to add that cost in. When I checked fights roundtrip to Rome we would only saved $54 a person. Not enough to worry about getting back to Rome for.

I booked a flight with bmi (British Midland) for July 2009 from Venice to London Heathrow which cost $106.00 per person through Expedia, then catching a flight from Heathrow to US. I found this to be cheaper. I am also using miles for the transatlantic flight. :cool1:

I booked a flight with bmi (British Midland) for July 2009 from Venice to London Heathrow which cost $106.00 per person through Expedia, then catching a flight from Heathrow to US. I found this to be cheaper. I am also using miles for the transatlantic flight. :cool1:

Hmm. I'd like to stop over in London. How are you going over?

We are flying from Venice to London Heathrow with BMI. The flight leaves Venice at 3 pm thus missing the Virgin Atlantic flight from Heathrow to Los Angeles, so I decided to stay in London for 3 days. For convenience sake, I thought we'd stay at the Hilton Heathrow Hotel which is walking distance from the Heathrow Airport. We could take the tube to Central London from the hotel (I think the Heathrow Express) which only takes 15 minutes. The neat thing about London is it's so easy to get around just using the Underground.

Does BA and BMI have a partner program of sorts where you only book through one airline? I'd love to do London again.

We could take the tube to Central London from the hotel (I think the Heathrow Express) which only takes 15 minutes. The neat thing about London is it's so easy to get around just using the Underground.

The Tube and Heathrow Express are two different things. The Tube is the London subway system and there is stop at Heathrow - it takes about an hour (or so) to get into central London. Heathrow Express is a direct train service from Heathrow to Paddington Station (and it takes about 15 minutes). Heathrow Express is more expensive than the Tube, but faster.

Depending on where your hotel is, it is sometimes easier to take the Tube though. I stayed at Chancery Court (the hotel ABD uses) which is on same Tube line as Heathrow, so it was easier to take the Tube than take Heathrow Express to Paddington and then either take a taxi or change to the Tube to get to Holborn Station (where the hotel is) which would have involved at least one change of line once on the tube.

Does BA and BMI have a partner program of sorts where you only book through one airline? I'd love to do London again.

BMI is part of Star Alliance (United, Air Canada, US Airways) whilst BA is part of One World (American, Quantas), so they are unlikely to do a single itinerary, except through something like Orbitz or Expedia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter