Questions for Human Resource Manager

I'm still new in the hiring process, but I don't call the people listed as references. I also won't call HR. Why? Because I assume the people listed as references would be giving good ones (otherwise why would you include them) and HR would give just bare bones information (which doesn't help). I'll either call people I know or have one of my employees call people they know.

I trust you are doing this with the utmost discretion. It seems possible that the connections you or your employees may have could be ones whose knowledge that an employee is looking to leave would be extremely detrimental. I chose my references because partly they were exceptionally discreet. I would be absolutely horrified if my current supervisor or someone even above them was lead to believe that i was looking elsewhere before I was ready to reveal that information myself. If your sources are as discreet as my references, it shouldn't be an issue.

I trust you are doing this with the utmost discretion. It seems possible that the connections you or your employees may have could be ones whose knowledge that an employee is looking to leave would be extremely detrimental. I chose my references because partly they were exceptionally discreet. I would be absolutely horrified if my current supervisor or someone even above them was lead to believe that i was looking elsewhere before I was ready to reveal that information myself. If your sources are as discreet as my references, it shouldn't be an issue.

We've had a few of those calls. Came close to getting one person fired.

I would say when we do this, discretion is not our first priority. We do, however, tell a candidate who we intend to contact before we do it. If there are concerns of any kind, like perhaps they don’t want that individual to know they’re interviewing, we expect they will say so. We would respect that and not call the person, but if we are unable to get a reference it’s unlikely we would make an offer to that candidate.

Oh, I agree. I should have said I'd only call people I trust, and I'd take into account whether it's employees at the current job vs. past jobs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter