RANT: I don't care if you want to sit next to your kids on the airplane

To me it does make sense instead of saying flight A was cancelled now flight B is going and flight A people have to fit around and get screwed over twice (by being late and by loosing the seats they have paid for), I would see it as Flight A is due to go first so the next flight is really still flight A.

Oh my word. You really have no idea how airlines work do you? Can you imagine the delays in trying to figure this all out. When flights are disrupted due to weather or mechanical problems, the FASTEST way to get the system back up and running is to let future flights go out exactly as planned, while filling in with people from the flights which were disrupted. The problem just snowballs if you keep pushing it back. Give the airlines some credit for having thought about this and how to best make the system work for everyone.

To me it does make sense instead of saying flight A was cancelled now flight B is going and flight A people have to fit around and get screwed over twice (by being late and by loosing the seats they have paid for), I would see it as Flight A is due to go first so the next flight is really still flight A.
Before I started flying alot I used to think this was how it would work. When I really thought about it though it didn't make any sense to be that way.

The one that made me think about it was one day where I had choice of two flights that day from BWI to ALB. Flight A was at like 6:00 and would be really tight to make if my meeting that was supposed to end at 4 went late (which they do... alot) flight B wasn't until 7:30 so that worked better. I bought tickets on flight B.

I get to BWI and look at the monitor. flight A is massively delayed. Until 8:00. Flight B was on time. so flight B was actually going to leave first.

My first thought was "why would they do that" wouldn't it make more sense to send all the people on flight A first?

However both these flights were coming from other places so they would probably have people on them already. The number of people on both flights probably wasn't equal. So either some of the people that booked flight A would end up on the second flight anyway (with a logistical nightmare of bags that would leave many others waiting in Albany for the second flight for bags too) or some people would have to be moved to the earlier flight and still have bag nightmare.

So it was easier to have flight A still be on the plane meant for flight A even though it wasn't going to get to BWI in time to leave before flight B.

Enough people have said why this would work.

But my question is: What happens when more than one flight is cancelled? Maybe 3. How would you handle that? How long would it take for the airline to get back on track?

Oh my word. You really have no idea how airlines work do you? Can you imagine the delays in trying to figure this all out. When flights are disrupted due to weather or mechanical problems, the FASTEST way to get the system back up and running is to let future flights go out exactly as planned, while filling in with people from the flights which were disrupted. The problem just snowballs if you keep pushing it back. Give the airlines some credit for having thought about this and how to best make the system work for everyone.

Except for apparently ensuring parents are still able to sit with their children as they had arranged.

I'd like to know too how they differentiate between who is in a seat because they like it more, and who is in a seat because they have a need of it. Such as a family member who needs assistance, needs assistance themselves, or who has an anxiety and need to be where they are. Are they supposed to hold up the flight while they quiz everyone, or will it be the child's needs are supreme and who cares about the rest of you? Ridiculous.

You are right-someone wanting the isle seat because they like to have the space to stretch out is a completely equal need to a 2 year old requiring parental supervision. But what do you care-its not your kid so not your problem.

You are right-someone wanting the isle seat because they like to have the space to stretch out is a completely equal need to a 2 year old requiring parental supervision. But what do you care-its not your kid so not your problem.

Yes, someone who has paid to have that aisle seat is equal to a child needing supervision. Sorry, if a person has paid for a certain seat they are entitled to that seat. If that parent also paid for a seat in their previous flight but it was canceled they need to wait, while it isn't their fault that the flight was canceled the original person on the flight that hasn't been canceled should not be punished.
I don't get why you are taking this so personally.

Yes, someone who has paid to have that aisle seat is equal to a child needing supervision. Sorry, if a person has paid for a certain seat they are entitled to that seat. If that parent also paid for a seat in their previous flight but it was canceled they need to wait, while it isn't their fault that the flight was canceled the original person on the flight that hasn't been canceled should not be punished.
I don't get why you are taking this so personally.

And I dont see why you think an issue caused by the airlines is parents being a) cheap b) disorganised or c) overbearing helicopter parents

I also just cant agree with this automatic "me" mentality when the best defense you have for wanting the seat is "because I paid for it" even when someone else did and has an actual need for it

And I dont see why you think an issue caused by the airlines is parents being a) cheap b) disorganised or c) overbearing helicopter parents

I also just cant agree with this automatic "me" mentality when the best defense you have for wanting the seat is "because I paid for it" even when someone else did and has an actual need for it
but the airline didn't create the weather which caused the original post's delay.

At the most basic level, you are correct. Not my kid, not my problem.

And before you call me selfish, please remember that i am not the one that suggested that many flights should be reshuffled because an earlier one is cancelled.

often people book and pay for seats that have what they need (ie the ability to stretch out). Why should one need trump another especially when the person with the first need arranged and paid for their accommodation.

Weather isn't an issue caused by the airlines.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say someone else paid for that seat. They couldn't have if the person in the seat booked the seat. How could someone else have paid for it unless there was a glitch that assigned one seat to two people?

If your flight is cancelled, and you opt to take another flight, you do not get priority to bump people out of their seats. If they can't sit you with your two year old, and that's not acceptable to you, you need to figure out what to do next. Maybe the agent booking you would do their best to make it work. I don't know. Maybe people would offer to move once you are on the flight. I don't know. You're taking a chance. But you really shouldn't expect it, or be mad about it if it doesn't happen. Your needs don't trump other's needs.

I have anxiety and claustrophobia when I fly. I book an aisle seat. If my flight gets cancelled and they put me on another flight and there are no aisle seats, I won't take that flight. I can't. I will wait until a flight with an aisle seat is available. But I would never expect a person on the new flight to move for me, even if they wanted an aisle seat just to stretch out. They bought and paid for that seat on that flight. I bought and paid for that seat on another flight. They get that seat and that's fair.

If there are not two seats together on a flight, you have the absolute right to tell the gate agent that the flight won't work for you because you need two seats together and that you will wait for the next flight that has two seats together available. What you are not entitled to is somebody else's seats just because it would be more convenient for you to get home earlier.

But the person did not pay for the seat on the new flight. The flight that they paid for the seat on was canceled. So, their seat selection was canceled. The only one who should get a refund for their seat is the person on the flight that was canceled. They are not entitled to bump somebody out of THEIR paid seat on THEIR flight.

A person who expects others who paid for a specific seat to give it up just so the bumped person doesn't have to wait for a flight that meets their seating needs is exhibiting the "me mentality."

People who expect others to give up that which they paid for because they didn't do their homework and learn what happens in cases of cancelled flights is exhibiting the "me mentality."

People who refuse to understand that others may have valid reasons for wanting a certain seat - and that keeping families together does not trump those reasons - is exhibiting the "me mentality."

In that case the priority should go to the people who were bumped from their original flight like a line.
And to put it simply yes assuming the parent had arranged on their original flight to be booked next to her child that is more of a priority than an adult just wanting to sit in that seat because they like ti better.

Never seen air masks deploy on a school bus, you?
I will never understand why the world thinks that the needs of one person trumps the needs of another. People without kids get awfully sick of people with kids thinking the works should revolve around the needs of them and their children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter