RCCL trip report! Freedom in Eastern Car Jan 26-Feb 2, 2014

I hesitate to even mention if he is doing well. I feel like it will jinx him.

I completely understand; forget I asked. :)

ETA: say hi to both of the kids for me and Eamon! Perhaps we'll have a HEALTHY trip that finds us both at the parks in the future.

This is a video I took from the skating rink. It's the same reflection of the windows and water on the ceiling. Except this way you can watch the water rushing past while looking at the ceiling. I thought it was fun. It might make you ill. Not sure. :p

Can't you just sense the sadness as Day 7 begins?

DSCF2582_zps400daf4b.jpg

Day 7, another At Sea day.

Relaxing, but we also had to pack and deal with the sadness of it all ending!

EPSON074_zps93cee65e.jpg

EPSON075_zps91934689.jpg

EPSON078_zps112835c6.jpg

EPSON080_zpse863b734.jpg

EPSON077_zps2a3d5e0f.jpg

EPSON081_zps5b9c52a4.jpg

EPSON079_zps0f5b1f66.jpg

Two times during this cruise I had already reserved their Dreamworks character breakfast. The first day, we were far too tired to get up early. I called to cancel and they said to simply not show up.

This sort of answer used to be given at Disneyland (Blue Bayou was my specific experience with this answer) and WDW. And now both have a charge for no-shows. As far as I know, the official explanation was all the no-shows. LIke it's the guests' fault.

Well, all I know is that if I call to cancel and I'm told there's no need, and to just not show up, it is NOT my responsibility or fault if they decide that no-shows are bad. They should have gone back to the source, the CMs who weren't doing what needed to be done so the restaurants knew what was happening with their reservations.

It came as absolutely no surprise to me when, shortly after our cruise, Royal announced that there would now be a CHARGE for the Dreamworks breakfast. Obviously, the no-shows bugged them, too. No shows caused because their own employees told people to just not show up.

It is upsetting philosophically. It is not upsetting in practice, because I will tell you that this character breakfast was the only thing I truly did not like on the ship. Though to be clear, the characters were fine. The service and the food were NOT.

On this last full day of our cruise, we were awake enough to go to the breakfast. So we headed down to the dining room and figured out where to go. Happened to be held back where we sat each evening. Kind of cool, but weird to see other people sitting in "our" seats.

So we were pointed to a seat, and we sat. And sat. And got lonely. And sat some more. Hum dee dum.

Server finally comes up. What would you like to order?

Hmm, menus, perhaps?

And he goes off snarling at some invisible other employee who didn't get us our menus. (I sort of thought that some snarling should be at his own self, since he had to have noticed the utter lack of menus on our tables or in our hands...perhaps he thought I was going to scrapbook all three of the menus and had stolen them? Hmm)

Eventually Robert gets coffee, I am missed. Had to ask for it. More snarling. Got my coffee. Got some "breakfast breads" which were apparently all supposed to be chocolate flavored. They were...chemical-flavored. Even the KID didn't like 'em.

Menus.

DSCF2586_zpsa820857b.jpg

DSCF2587_zps0e897289.jpg

DSCF2588_zpse0037871.jpg

DSCF2589_zpsc9976f79.jpg

I don't remember who ordered what. It was very close to inedible. All of it. We ate so little and it tasted so terrible we actually had to go up to Windjammer to catch the end of their breakfast-time just to get some nutrition into us.

In addition, they didn't explain anything to us. Could we get anything we wanted? One thing? What were the guidelines? We didn't understand.

I have since found out that we could have gone over to the buffet they had out for the normal breakfast-eaters, which, apparently, is quite good. I didn't know we could, barely noticed it on our way in, even.

The host was Shrek. That meant that this was all we saw of him.

DSCF2590_zpsc8abfa4a.jpg

DSCF2594_zpsd76a851a.jpg

DSCF2599_zpsf6f752a4.jpg

I'm normally the photographer. I'm not into characters. Every so often one of them pulls me into a picture. I normally get silently annoyed by this and have a smile that doesn't hit my eyes.

Po wanted me to be in the picture. He grabbed me and made me be in the picture.

I don't like this odd thing that people are doing now (especially women) in groups shots where people lean down, or bend their knees, or something where they are basically bent over to some extent. I don't know why it's being done, especially if you have taller people in back with no issues of seeing those behind... I think there's some odd lack of self esteem, not wanting to be seen, thinking that bending over hides some part of you you don't like? i don't know. All I know is that I'm trying not to do it. I didn't do it here. Po literally PULLED me over, and I was very much off balance and he was catching me. And it all made me smile. Actually smile. With eyes and everything. I know you can't really see it. I've got one of THOSE faces. But this is actually a genuine smile. :goodvibes

DSCF2598_zps0ec7c6ed.jpg

Not only was the food bad, but the interaction was very preschool-based. Which is weird, because IMO Shrek isn't a preschool movie! Forced marriage, even spells, birds exploding because of Fiona's voice, etc etc etc. Doesn't scream "3 year olds should see this!" to me, and, um, I let my 3 year old watch POTC. :scared::headache::rolleyes::rolleyes1:sad2:

But...they did "head shoulders knees and toes", which Eamon barely even remembered since it's been so long since we did that. And some other little songy things that were very much preschool-based. Weird.

None of us feel a need to do it again, and it's especially so now that there will be a fee.

I don't recommend it. In case that wasn't clear.

On the other hand, it was a great way to have my character-loving guys meet a few characters all at once and without an awful line!

In case you don't believe that we went to Windjammer to get some food after our character breakfast...one of the employees made Eamon this tiger backpack while we were there, and he had turned around on our way out of Windjammer for the picture.

DSCF2601_zps7cfa70d1.jpg

We did some wandering, I think there was some Guest Services happening because we either needed a little cash for extra tips or were going to do the extra tips through them, not sure. Robert went off somewhere and E and I took some pix.

DSCF2602_zpsadf1a3e6.jpg

He's doing math right now but saw that picture come up on photobucket, and was grabbing towards it, saying he wanted to be back there RIGHT NOW. And then he was confused as to why I was writing a Royal trip report on the Dis.

DSCF2604_zps4b69ec68.jpg

We relaxed. Robert sat in the shade, reading and watching Eamon play like a madman who hadn't played before. I took pictures and sat up on the upper deck in the sunshine.

DSCF2612_zps109c4d7f.jpg

I call this the "lazy donut".

DSCF2615_zps77aa083c.jpg

OK apparently I didn't get anywhere near the number of pictures this day as I thought I did. :) But how many pictures of my feet in the sun would you have wanted to see? Right? Lazed, read our books, ate, had a beverage, Eamon played, had cookies, etc etc... Listened to more steel drum music. Le sigh.

I don't know what was going on here, but E just labeled it "King Kung Fu". Sounds right to me!

DSCF2619_zps0be8b8b4.jpg

We saw the parade on the Promenade this evening. My pictures are awful. Sorry. (and these are the best of them)

DSCF2621_zps03f20d97.jpg

DSCF2622_zps712fed5a.jpg

DSCF2623_zps8c1bf8bc.jpg

I think I told the story, in my WDW report, about the family with the daughter dressed as Elsa? (before I knew who Elsa was) The husband was doing one of the races there and they were talking about a longer vacation and the cruise.

Well, while waiting either for this parade OR the night before for the pirate parade, we ran into them! it was wild. She had been offered large sums of money for her daughter's first-release Elsa gown again, and turned it down. Our kids had been playing together and hadn't even realized it, somehow. :)

During the cruise we had also met a nice family from the midwest, along with a couple from Yorkshire, England. The couple weren't all that much older than me and Robert, but they were far more grown up in many ways. Grown kids, life of luxury, etc... They were doing a back to back and they were very fun. I accidentally drank the last Boddington Ale on the ship, and he couldn't have more that last night because of me. Embarrassing.

OK back to the parade.

A sign that was lit up red and looked neat to me.

DSCF2625_zps3290a9a4.jpg

This princess did NOT look as manly in real life.

DSCF2626_zpsd7e355bc.jpg

DSCF2635_zps65902c2b.jpg

DSCF2637_zps0041060c.jpg

DSCF2642_zps4e0639f1.jpg

DSCF2644_zps39de4bf6.jpg

DSCF2651_zpsb12b8cac.jpg

DSCF2657_zps4d9f3129.jpg

Tearful goodbyes to our tablemates, tips for people, last tours of the ship, E played up to the last minute, packing packing and more packing, etc etc etc. All the stuff that ends a cruise. So sad. I tell you, I would pay people to pack for me....

Sleep. Early arrival at PC.

In the last few nights on the ship, the constant sales, the watches being out on tables, the frenzy of a possible bargain, finally got to us.

Robert bought a Casio G-Shock which apparently he had wanted; had had one in his 20s, got rid of it, wanted to replace it. Reasonable, he loves it, OK.

And then the Invictas hit.

These are HUGE watches. They weigh so much. They are touted as dive watches, but some of them looked more like watches for those who wear huge gold chains and that whole fashion statement.

The last night, however...we saw some smaller-faced watches. Robert had been infected by the "must buy something" bug. And when we saw these smaller watches that were, oh wow, 75% off!, it was non-stop "I want". OK that makes it sound like Robert's a child. Eh hem. Any reader of my reports over the years likely realizes that when it comes to buying stuff, he IS a child. He and Eamon want want want want buy buy buy buy. They will hold something brand newly purchased for or by them, and stop admiring it to look at something else that they absolutely MUST have. It's...difficult, to say the least.

The Casio was the "only watch I'll need, the only one I want, promise!" The jewelry bought in St Maarten was "the only thing I need to buy you, I understand you don't want more, Im so glad I could get this for you".

And then the Invictas got to us. And when I say "us" I mean I was the one that noticed the smaller-faced watches. I shoulda kept it to myself, LOL.

Because ultimately we ended up buying one for each of us. While purchasing them, we realized that Robert's was officially a woman's watch. which is why the face was smaller. But on my wrist that watch is HUGE. My watch is so small it must have been a baby's watch. It's a normal woman's watch, by the way, but nearly microscopic by Invicta standards.

And they have the ugliest YELLOW (yellow isn't ugly, but this version is ugly to my eyes) watch boxes. Huge, too. And you should see the really expensive ones, the ones that really are dive watches. They come with lockable cases that can float. Enormous!

So we got them. And got home. And I started reading about them. And...if you buy an Invicta that's anything more than 75% off, you've been ripped off. They NEVER sell at MSRP. Also, many people kinda think they are gaudy. They are sort of a known thing on cruiseships; you come off with that yellow box or yellow and grey bag...and they know you were gotten, LOL.

Robert's was cheaper than it was on amazon...mine was more. Guess we made out evenly.

And hey, I have a watch now. That isn't a GPS or HR monitoring watch. So that's good. :upsidedow

Sad oh sadness.

EPSON083_zps5e8c9119.jpg

EPSON084_zps86507810.jpg

This was the extension cord they had given Robert for his CPAP.

3F9EF9B6-EB71-4AC9-9593-783853ED7D4E_zpsxhifmqt2.jpg

It was crazy-long but actually needed!

I had signed up a bit late for a departure, didn't get what I wanted. They then called our number way earlier than expected. This led to us being outside over an hour before our driver would be there.

Called or texted him, he contacted us back saying that he was actually already on the way. He ended up being later than he expected (still way earlier than scheduled) because of the fog. Oh, the fog.

This was from our room earlier.

Hi Dream! Hope you guys all had fun! (realizing that ship had been on TWO cruises while we had been one one, and the people disembarking that morning weren't the people that embarked while we embarked Freedom...kinda weird)

DA0BA9E0-E947-45A8-97E3-8EF0C47657AC_zpspjehrfvm.jpg

Their terminal.

F9CFA01D-4E33-4A63-AEFC-7147343152A8_zpsgymt1ndh.jpg

A long way down.

740EBC54-DAD4-4A79-A06C-D5C3DC67A047_zps9byoer7n.jpg

Hey wait, where'd their terminal go?

DAF3C6BE-EA64-4E68-AFE8-0295BD9A5AFD_zpsbxmbmtgj.jpg

And then it got worse. Apparently the toll road out to the port was like driving through pea soup. People were going very very slowly. The driver said he had never seen it that bad.

It lifted after we had been on the road awhile, but it sure was eerie!

The airport. On Feb 2, 2014.

E4D7478A-CC68-4655-81B4-78842587DD92_zpsuwut2grv.jpg

Snapped this shot because it was interesting, how many off-site rental places there are at MCO. I doubt I would ever use one. The on-sites are so easy.

B8F239F3-C48D-43D1-8107-128EE713B4E3_zpsigc8qsad.jpg

And it was here that our trip home took a little turn. A little turn called the Superbowl....

Head back over here in a half hour or so to see the END of the story. :)

But that concludes the CRUISE part of this tale! As usually I'll be here for awhile, but definitely get my attention if I'm hiding. For example right now I have some unread, not even LOOKED at, private messages. If they are from any of you, let me know! Haven't looked because I'm weird pathetic, basically. :rolleyes1

Questions, clarifications, etc etc.

If I think of any other stories I'll let you know. :)

I like Royal! Vision of the Seas is up next in a few months. (as is a Dream double dip, we just cannot control ourselves)

I don't know why those pictures are sideways. I rotated them in photobucket but it's not sticking for some reason.

Thank you for writing the best RCCL trip report on the DIS! Loved seeing E with the crown from being the Dancing King!

Also, thank you for the heads up on the watches and the Character Breakfast. We love characters, too, but were on the fence about actually paying for the breakfast. You just confirmed my suspicions, Thanks again!

I wish you very many unforgettable vacations with your family, good health, oh, and world peace! :goodvibes

Someone stole miles from you? Eep!

Well be heading to San Diego over a week before the race, a relatively shortish time in Anaheim, then back to San Diego.

Sorry, meant to reply to this earlier, but got caught up in the photos... :lovestruc

Yes, somehow, someone stole all of my airline miles. I went to check and see how many I had, and they were almost all gone. Turned out someone somehow stole them, and United did give them back, very unceremoniously. I'm not the Demand Something Free type, but I'm kind of shocked that they didn't really do much to reassure me that this was a fluke, or make me feel safe keeping a Mileage Plus account with them, or offer some sort of apologetic bonus miles or something.

So, you can PM me if you don't want to put it here, but what dates are you going to be in Anaheim? I still haven't booked anything yet, but it is not off the table.

I'm flabbergasted that someone could steal miles.

Anaheim August 28-Sep 1. Before and after that, San Diego. Come on out, we'll have a blast. :)

What a nice full day on board. Dancing, skating, formal dinner and a kids party. What fun!

Your balcony is huge! I am not sure that it wouldn't terrify me. ::yes:: I know... it is safe. But I am a wimp. ;)

I am with you on the good skaters... they need to be mindful that not everyone skates that well.

I am so sorry breakfast was such a fail.... all around service to food. :sad2:

Your genuine smile with Po is quite nice. :goodvibes

Sorry your trip came to an end... but then... bonus ;)

The balcony was big! You can see how high the railing is, though. I'm 5'3, DS is getting up there. We would have literally had to climb over to do anything stupid (and then it's stacked outwards, so we would have landed on the balcony below, LOL).

Definite bonus.

So you're doing Disneyland Half, then TOT, and you signed up for WDW Half as well again? Or did you go for the full? Or am I just misremembering? I've lost track of all trip reports, including mine until the other day as you all know, so I can't remember. We've just got to meet up!

The balcony was big! You can see how high the railing is, though. I'm 5'3, DS is getting up there. We would have literally had to climb over to do anything stupid (and then it's stacked outwards, so we would have landed on the balcony below, LOL).

Definite bonus.

So you're doing Disneyland Half, then TOT, and you signed up for WDW Half as well again? Or did you go for the full? Or am I just misremembering? I've lost track of all trip reports, including mine until the other day as you all know, so I can't remember. We've just got to meet up!

DL half, ToT, Avengers, WDW half and PHM. I am going to scale way back for the following 12 months. Probably the ToT and Avengers only...at least that is my plan right now. I know I will not be doing the DL half again or the phm in 2016.

We do have to meet up!!! There are always local races too. :goodvibes

That's a whole lotta races there. :)

If I recall correctly you didn't get in on the Blerch, right? I think I'm doing the 10K which is not long after the DLR Half. Am still insanely considering the You Go Girl 10K (again) the weekend after that! (or before it?) In other words a half then two 10Ks really close afterwards...probably certifiable if I do that.

I had the urge to sign up for the Princess while reading of everyone's early registration tales, but it passed. You got in already?

So glad you kept mentioning my re-do needs for January. Because I signed up for that, assuming I don't sleep in again, I can sign us all up for next year's Avengers stuff and I'll get another coast to coast. ;) (I say "another" when the first still awaits in November!)

Apparently I should do a WISH journal or something.

That's a whole lotta races there. :)

It is and I really am not sure how it got to be so out of control. Well, yes I suppose I kinda do. Like with most things... one thing leads to another. Initially it was just going to be the ToT and the PHM. Then a gal here on dis wanted to run the DLH and I realized I wouldn't mind getting the c2c medal. So that brought it to DLH, ToT and PHM. Then dh decided that he didn't want to do the phm but wanted to do the donald over again. Scrap the phm and now we look like DLH, ToT and Donald. Then the Avengers opened. An inaugural race that dh could get his C2C? ::yes:: So now.. DLH, ToT, Avengers and Donald. But I REALLY wanted to do the phm again. I really thought long and hard about it and finally decided to go for it. Then the same gal here on dis also decided she too was going to do it so it worked out well. However, yes... lots of races and how we got to DLH, ToT, Avengers, Donald and PHM. At one point, dh considered adding SW to his (and I probably would have at least done the 5k) The night before early registration though, we came to our senses.

If I recall correctly you didn't get in on the Blerch, right? I think I'm doing the 10K which is not long after the DLR Half. Am still insanely considering the You Go Girl 10K (again) the weekend after that! (or before it?) In other words a half then two 10Ks really close afterwards...probably certifiable if I do that.

Nope, didn't get into the blerch. You Go Girl is a tough course, isn't it? Like some long hills? Still, I think doing both 10ks right after the dlh is probably not too insane. I mean -it would not be unheard of to run 6 miles on the weekend, right?

I had the urge to sign up for the Princess while reading of everyone's early registration tales, but it passed. You got in already?

I think the registration process sucks a lot of people in. Have you ran the princess before? I have done it once. I am very excited to do it again. I just hope I can overlook a lot of the entitled princesses who tend to flock to this race.

So glad you kept mentioning my re-do needs for January. Because I signed up for that, assuming I don't sleep in again, I can sign us all up for next year's Avengers stuff and I'll get another coast to coast. ;) (I say "another" when the first still awaits in November!)

I am glad you are redoing it! I could see having it in the "annual" list of races because it really leaves the rest of the year open to get a C2C

Apparently I should do a WISH journal or something.

What is a WISH journal?

I do get how suddenly you have a string of Disney events! Each one seems like "Ok that's high, but I can do it" and then suddenly you've got three (for me) or 6 (for you) in a row. I personally try not to do the math, LOL.

You Go Girl...I thought it was tough at the time, but I got a decent (for me) time on that. 12 minute mile...for me, not bad at all. The medal is a necklace (and I wasn't expecting a finisher's medal at all so it was an extra bonus). OK a necklace that I wouldn't necessarily wear, but still, cute.

I haven't done princess. And the princess thing...just not my style. I think I'll wait until I actually enjoy a Disney race before I surround myself with tutus. ;)

It does leave the year open that is for sure!

Down in the W.I.S.H. forum, where the events/competition pages are, there's a journaling spot. Figure I could maybe write about preparations for all these "runcations" there.

Hi Molly!

Every time I look at the pictures of the cruise ships I am moved at the size of them. They are amazing big! Wow!

I am considering walking in the Tinkerbell 5k next May. I am not really sure that we are going to do it. Scotty jogs and rides a bike so I know he will be off and running while I walk. I am not really sure that I want to walk alone. You know?

I do get how suddenly you have a string of Disney events! Each one seems like "Ok that's high, but I can do it" and then suddenly you've got three (for me) or 6 (for you) in a row. I personally try not to do the math, LOL.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I was like :eek: I have 6??? I had to go back and look.

You Go Girl...I thought it was tough at the time, but I got a decent (for me) time on that. 12 minute mile...for me, not bad at all. The medal is a necklace (and I wasn't expecting a finisher's medal at all so it was an extra bonus). OK a necklace that I wouldn't necessarily wear, but still, cute.

I think I still feel it would be tough for me. I don't like hills.

I haven't done princess. And the princess thing...just not my style. I think I'll wait until I actually enjoy a Disney race before I surround myself with tutus. ;)

Somehow, I had a feeling you felt that way. ;)

Down in the W.I.S.H. forum, where the events/competition pages are, there's a journaling spot. Figure I could maybe write about preparations for all these "runcations" there.

That is a good idea!

Gotta tell you...if I had a job and that job let me take time off through the year? I'd do them ALL. :) Even Princess. Despite the tutu overload.

(sidenote: a rundisney article 2 weeks ago showed a woman in a green tutu that ALMOST made me want one...but I could tell that it was going way up in back, and having run behind a woman whose tutu was going way too high in back on St Paddy's Day, I don't want that to be me)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter