RCCL vs DCL- What am I missing?

By the way the trip I was shocked on was In February & not during Presidents week. I can't even imagine that pool during school breaks.

Now on RCCL the pool area was crowded just like on DCL. But since the pool itself was larger the pool was not a human mosh pit.

Tiny and they allow serious overcrowding. Terrifying.
This was posted on another thread:

02db6d87.jpg

Woody

My family spent 14 nights on the Disney Wonder last may and I took the kids on a quick weekend trip on RCI Enchantment of the seas this year in February.

Here is my comparison for families with young children: if you are at all conservative in what your kids are exposed to there may be times you are uncomfortable on RCI. My kids listen to pop music and watch main stream TV, but the sexist and man contest was too much.

What the RCI kids club lacked in physical amenities, it more than made put for in staff. My kids had a great time on Enchantment, and even on a holiday weekend, there was never much a of wait for anything my 7 year old wanted to do.

The MDR food was about equal and we had good service on both ships. I did have issues finding "kid friendly" food on Enchantment. Several times I had to ask for white bread to make a cheese sandwich for my picky eater. There was always chicken nuggets and pizza available on the Disney boat.

Overall, I do think for families, Disney offers a superior product. But on my last trip it was more than 2x the price. The product isn't twice as good. If the difference was 20 percent more that would be fair. Our family has reasonable expectations and are generally easy to please. So for us we dont need to pay more for pixie dust.

Has this been mentioned... Mickey bars! I am really going to miss those on my RCI cruise. I've been on 3 DCL cruises and pretty much had a Mickey bar everyday!

It has been my experience that the pools on RCCL and Carnival have overcrowding issues also.

It has been my experience that the pools on RCCL and Carnival have overcrowding issues also.

I've never gotten in a pool on a cruise ship so my experience is through my kids and visual. We've been on all three lines and the only one they've mentioned as being over crowded was DCL. Personally, they all look too crowded to me. DCL's look crowded to the point of being unsafe at times.

Additionally, when we were on the Wonder a few years back, two of my kids came down with a NASTY GI problem. The other kid and us two adults didn't. The only thing those two did that the rest of us didn't....swim in the pools.

My thoughts on ship pools (not just DCL, although they were probably the culprit in getting my kids sick):

Number of people + Amount of water - Lack of trips to restroom = GROSS!!

I've never gotten in a pool on a cruise ship so my experience is through my kids and visual. We've been on all three lines and the only one they've mentioned as being over crowded was DCL. Personally, they all look too crowded to me. DCL's look crowded to the point of being unsafe at times.

Additionally, when we were on the Wonder a few years back, two of my kids came down with a NASTY GI problem. The other kid and us two adults didn't. The only thing those two did that the rest of us didn't....swim in the pools.

My thoughts on ship pools (not just DCL, although they were probably the culprit in getting my kids sick):

Number of people + Amount of water - Lack of trips to restroom = GROSS!!

We don't get in the pools on DCL, CCL or RCCL. Pool time isn't our thing, but they all look crowded to me. We only sail during school breaks so maybe that makes the difference.

Rccl does have a good cruise over all, but the thing you miss form DCL is simply the Disney experience and Magic. It's something no other line has or can match.

The Vessels are all top notch and built to and themed to the great liners of the 30's, 40's and 50's., with just a touch of Disney whimsical fun. They are far form the modern or Las Vegas styling of so many of the cruise ships these days.

The service with very few rare exceptions, is excellent, friendly,. we have always been impressed. The cabin was generally slightly bigger then most cruise ships, with the split baths and classic liner theme.

3 main dining rooms each having there own special show from Animators pallet to brazil to a English garden etc. Your wait staff comes with you to each dining room so they get to know you and what your likes and dislikes are.

One or Two specialty restaurants (buy up) and buffet and counter service.

The Disney characters are all over the place. We once were standing at the elevators and the doors opened and stitch was standing there. Something that made by grand daughter jump in his arms as stitch was her favorite.

The Sail away parties, Pirate parties, Princess and pirate dress up and of course Castaway Cay, where the vessel docks and frankly cannot be matched .

This can go on and on and our Cruise on the Freedom was fine. but there is just something about the Disney Experience and Magic that cannot be matched.

But to each their own. It is more expensive, but since Disney has most vessel sailing a high capacity, it seems people feel the Disney magic is worth the price.

AKK

Rccl does have a good cruise over all, but the thing you miss form DCL is simply the Disney experience and Magic. It's something no other line has or can match.

This in a nutshell is the biggest difference between Disney Cruise Line and all others, because only Disney can "do Disney." For cruises with a lot of sea days, I enjoyed them the most on my Disney Magic Transatlantic cruise last May. I am looking forward to 15 nights on the re-imagined Magic's Transatlantic in May 2015. :)

This in a nutshell is the biggest difference between Disney Cruise Line and all others, because only Disney can "do Disney." For cruises with a lot of sea days, I enjoyed them the most on my Disney Magic Transatlantic cruise last May. I am looking forward to 15 nights on the re-imagined Magic's Transatlantic in May 2015. :)

Agreed!........and now you have me jealous! I would love to do a TA with the wife...............My last crossing was on a tanker the Red river in 82. We just cannot take that much time off from work.........................yet!

AKK

I think it's great when people list out specific things that make something worth it or not for them. Because then you can compare it to what's important for you, and see if it matches.

Mickey bars...corn syrup. Family can't have 'em. I can, but I feel guilty. And honestly the corn syrup ice cream (yes it's in the ice cream, not the shell, which is weird but there you go) is nowhere near how tasty Ben and Jerry's is. Thinking more about ice cream; all the free ice cream on the ships is suspect, ingredient-wise, for my family. I have let DS have the ice cream for dessert at the MDRs on Dream and then he behaves in the way he behaves with corn syrup. So not fun for anyone. Therefore, to have the somewhat premium-style ice cream available on Royal, even though we have to pay for it, is awesome.

I don't like characters. Going on DCL was an act of character-avoidance. I enjoy it that DS and DH like them, but I'm happy to be the photographer or just leave it alone entirely. Well I did like seeing the pictures of DS and Jack Sparrow, but that's because he's so irreverent and funny. And the funny irreverence is why I thought it would be fun to go on Freedom with the Dreamworks Experience. The character breakfast was terrible, but Po got a smile out of me (rare when dealing with characters) when he insisted I pose with him, and then pretty much gave me a "noogie". Other than that I was happy to take pictures of them from afar. Not even DH or DS wanted to pose with them.

No one does Disney like Disney. Sure. No one does Royal like Royal. No one does Princess like Princess. :) Not everyone wants Disney all the time. :)

I think we've been lucky with our Royal staterooms. First cruise was in an oceanview on Radiance overlooking the bow, not a tiny room. Second cruise was 1700, an aft room with a gigantor balcony and wide open space in the room itself. Our Royal rooms, despite being non-suites, have been nice and big.

While I'm not much into the characters myself, Stitch doing a belly slide down the stairs into the atrium was the funniest thing I've ever seen on a cruise! That, plus DH and I were standing on the level overlooking the atrium where the princesses were holding court. I was in tears when I realized the tiny little girls thought the princesses were REAL!

I always forget about the Mickey bars...

I don't think I've EVER had a Mickey bar onboard??? Think I have a pic of DD w/one though on one of our cruises.

DCL:
rotational dining and the animators palate show
Palo ... none of the specialty restaurants compare on RCCL
Disney themes
Split bath staterooms
Vast array of Disney owned movie titles for the theater
Bring your own booze policy
Pirate night with fireworks

RCCL:
flow rider
rock wall
More options for dining and snacking, even if there is an up charge. (Johnny Rockets, two specialty restaurants on Freedom and more on Oasis, Ben and Jerry's , cupcakes)
More show options. We like late dining and 9pm shows
Ice rink
parade down the promenade
Live music at Broadway style shows
More cruise options with more ships and destination
Lower prices

DCL:
rotational dining and the animators palate show
Palo ... none of the specialty restaurants compare on RCCL
Disney themes
Split bath staterooms
Vast array of Disney owned movie titles for the theater
Bring your own booze policy
Pirate night with fireworks

RCCL:
flow rider
rock wall
More options for dining and snacking, even if there is an up charge. (Johnny Rockets, two specialty restaurants on Freedom and more on Oasis, Ben and Jerry's , cupcakes)
More show options. We like late dining and 9pm shows
Ice rink
parade down the promenade
Live music at Broadway style shows
More cruise options with more ships and destination
Lower prices
This pretty much sums up what I have been thinking. I have been on 4 Disney Cruises, have 5th and 6th booked, and am also booked on the Freedom next year. I am looking forward to the RCCL cruise just as much as the DCL one, but for different reasons. I just consider them to be different vacations, like Universal vs. Disney. Both excellent, but for different reasons.

It was sort of interesting for us. We did the Wonder to Alaska and promptly cancelled our Fantasy cruise and changed to the Freedom when we got home and ended up being super happy with the cruise. We decided to give DCL another try and liked it, but it was the Wonder again. Good ship but small compared to the Freedom. Then my wife and daughter sailed the Dream and we are now booked on the Fantasy again for January. :cool1:

There are a few other differences at time of booking I should note.

Booking windows differ for loyalty cruisers with an earlier window for more frequent cruisers. By the time you get to those of us who don't have status, the really good stuff is already gone. Cabanas on CC, good times for Palo brunch, DCL unique excursions, etc. RCCL doesn't do that. The loyalty programs offer different perks, but booking show times, cabanas, etc. is all first come first serve. You can start booking them as soon as you pay your full fee.

I have never liked the way DCL does it. There are a few slots reserved for onboard booking on day of embarkation, but you have to go stand in the line and hope for the best.

RCCL doesn't do that. The loyalty programs offer different perks, but booking show times, cabanas, etc. is all first come first serve.

Except that cabanas, at least on Labadee, are ONLY for those traveling with concierge access, which means high loyalty levels or staying in a suite above the Junior level.

Booking windows differ for loyalty cruisers with an earlier window for more frequent cruisers. By the time you get to those of us who don't have status, the really good stuff is already gone. Cabanas on CC, good times for Palo brunch, DCL unique excursions, etc. RCCL doesn't do that. The loyalty programs offer different perks, but booking show times, cabanas, etc. is all first come first serve. You can start booking them as soon as you pay your full fee.

I have never liked the way DCL does it. There are a few slots reserved for onboard booking on day of embarkation, but you have to go stand in the line and hope for the best.
You don't have to wait until you've paid in full to book shore excursions, specialty dining, etc. on Royal Caribbean - or Princess, HAL, or Celebrity. As soon as you have paid the deposit and have a reservation number - you can book those things when they become available.

Except that cabanas, at least on Labadee, are ONLY for those traveling with concierge access, which means high loyalty levels or staying in a suite above the Junior level.

I was under the impression that cabanas on labadee on Nellies beach were for anyone and concierge had the cabanas on barefoot beach. I could be wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter