RCCL vs DCL- What am I missing?

This in a nutshell is the biggest difference between Disney Cruise Line and all others, because only Disney can "do Disney." For cruises with a lot of sea days, I enjoyed them the most on my Disney Magic Transatlantic cruise last May. I am looking forward to 15 nights on the re-imagined Magic's Transatlantic in May 2015. :)

Last year we went on a Mediterranean cruise on DCL. We stopped in Rome on the last Sunday of the month. The Vatican museum is free to the public but closed in the afternoon. DCL was able to bring docents and security guards in the afternoon and had the entire museum to ourselves. When the Wonder and Magic first came out, I remember a trivia question stating that DCL lifeboats were painted yellow to match Mickeys shoes, where all other boats were a Coast Guard orange. That is some serious influence.

. . . We stopped in Rome on the last Sunday of the month. The Vatican museum is free to the public but closed in the afternoon. DCL was able to bring docents and security guards in the afternoon and had the entire museum to ourselves.

. . . That is some serious influence.
That's not new.

For years, the Vatican has offered private tours of the museum during off hours. When I priced it some 10 years ago, the service cost approximately US$2,000 for the entire group.

Woody

Last year we went on a Mediterranean cruise on DCL. We stopped in Rome on the last Sunday of the month. The Vatican museum is free to the public but closed in the afternoon. DCL was able to bring docents and security guards in the afternoon and had the entire museum to ourselves. When the Wonder and Magic first came out, I remember a trivia question stating that DCL lifeboats were painted yellow to match Mickeys shoes, where all other boats were a Coast Guard orange. That is some serious influence.

Actually not so much influence. You are correct DCL wanted the Lifeboats to be yellow to match Mickey. In order to do this they developed the *yellow* you see today and did a lot of testing to prove the visibility of the *yellow
*was as good, if not better then *International Orange*.

The USCG and the international governing agencies accepted the results of Disney's tests and they got their yellow lifeboats.:thumbsup2

Some other vessels have yellow lifeboats now.

AKK

I was under the impression that cabanas on labadee on Nellies beach were for anyone and concierge had the cabanas on barefoot beach. I could be wrong.

I'm probably wrong, or at least didn't understand that there were other cabanas besides the over water ones (not sure if that's the best description). :)

No it is just expenditure of cash. You can do private museum tours at just about any major museum. One of my RCCL options is an evening private tour of the Hermitage for example

And the lifeboat regulation concerns visibility not color. As long as the cruise line can demonstrate visibility they could probably do any color. (Hot pink anyone?)

I will be impressed with their influence when they get same good docking etc. when your ship is the only one being told "sorry but due to crowding at the dock you go to overflow " doesn't show much influence IMHO

We booked an over the water cabana on Labadee and we were in an inside stateroom with no concierge. There are some reserved for concierge, but we loved our over the water cabana!

Here is a picture of the cabana.

340d0305.jpg

Here is our view.

d6495fc3.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter