READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the boarding groups they give out at 1:00 guaranteed rides or more like the standby groups from the before days? (I can’t remember if they were called standby or something else)

Are the boarding groups they give out at 1:00 guaranteed rides or more like the standby groups from the before days? (I can’t remember if they were called standby or something else)
They're technically called backup boarding groups, but no boarding group is guaranteed. Previously you may have received a fast pass to ride when available on another day, but they haven't done that during the Covid reopening period.

Apologies in advance if this has been answered: When we are practicing from home, we click "join" twice and then get a message to remove ineligible guests. Is that just because we don't have a reservation that day? Would that mean we were successful if we had done it on our park day? Heading to Disney this Friday!

Apologies in advance if this has been answered: When we are practicing from home, we click "join" twice and then get a message to remove ineligible guests. Is that just because we don't have a reservation that day? Would that mean we were successful if we had done it on our park day? Heading to Disney this Friday!
Correct on both counts! MTFBWY on “the day”!

There are no guarantees that a BG will allow you to ride. A couple of weeks ago BG's were distributed at 7 AM but there was an unplanned outage of the ride and nobody rode at all that day. It doesn't happen often but it can.

Hi there--just got back from a lovely trip, and this thread was a big help when planning, so I figured I'd share our experience.

We tried for a BG the morning of 5/23 (I believe HS had increased capacity by this point, compared to earlier in the month). We were saying at Riviera, and for some reason our room location had horrendous cell reception, so we went down to the central courtyard area at 6:45 am to do it there (was around three bars instead of one).

The plan was for my husband to try wifi while I used data, but apparently he forgot to click through to confirm connection to Disney's wifi... so it turns out we both were just using cell data. We made sure all other apps were closed, bluetooth was off (and in my case wifi was totally off as well), and we restarted and re-logged into MDE (both phones on my account) about 30 minutes in advance.

We used the "refresh-join-join" method, where we started by clicking through from the home screen (the AT-AT pic) in advance and then just refreshing that page periodically by pulling down on the screen. We didn't have an external countdown clock, but we checked our phone clocks in advance and they were within a second or so of time.gov's clock. Then after 6:59, I just did a rough verbal countdown so we knew approximately when the time was going to roll over to 7:00. My strategy was more of a "wait until the clock hits 7:00 and then immediately refresh" while my husband just started constantly refreshing when there was 20 or so seconds to go.

So, the results... I honestly don't know if my own strategy would have worked, because when 7:00 rolled around, I refreshed, hit the "join" button, and started freaking out because I didn't see our friends and family list or another join button... just an "error" screen! Turns out the "error" was that I was already in a BG because my husband had gotten through first, lol. He told me he had just constantly refreshed starting prior to 7:00, and as soon as he saw the "join" button he clicked through everything else ASAP. He must have had perfect luck with his refresh timing, because we were literally in BG #1. 😮 I was so stunned I took a screenshot. Needless to say, we were both elated, because we honestly didn't expect to have much of a chance for a BG (especially on our first try).

Anyway, the ride was great, and as far as I can tell it seemed like all of the noticeable effects and such were working.
rofl... Congrats on getting what you must have really wanted, It will be a cold day in FL. in summer before I get up at 6:45 for some ride. The entire thing is just nuts to me. I saw people literally frantic. at the 1-2pm times, we checked periodically, when in line for other thigs with nothing else to do so, why not? May 26th they didn't open the 1 or 2 ( whatever it is), time slot at all. WE got to HS around 11:30 and would check and refresh just to see if we could catch one, and it didn't open the cue from then until we left around 4:30. However, we were not very diligent either. I love star wars, I guess I just don't understand all this hot mess over a ride that will be there forever.

Just tried this morning after practicing for the past couple of days. Mix of wifi and t-mobile data- 5 people trying. Son was on a private VPN on Disney wifi and got bg1! We all complained that he should have been a little slower. 😂Seriously though, We are all thrilled. Thanks for all the help.

ETA: We all started at the AT-AT page and were watching the time.gov site - this isn't necessary as long as you know your phone time is correct but it does make it slightly less stressful because you don't have to count down from 6:59. You can just wait until a few seconds before to be super focused on that "join" button.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210601-070149.png
    Screenshot_20210601-070149.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I read all of the information at the beginning of this thread (thanks so much for such a thorough guide!!) and have been pretty successful getting the 1pm in my practicing. Both yesterday and today were my first times trying for 7am though and on both days the join button just never showed up. What am I doing wrong??

Just tried this morning after practicing for the past couple of days. Mix of wifi - 5 people trying. Son was on a private VPN on Disney wifi and got bg1! We all complained that he should have been a little slower. 😂Seriously though, We are all thrilled. Thanks for all the help.
Lol congrats!

updating the "live" times for both the 7a and 1p times. We are at WDW now.

7am: under 3 seconds regardless of the day and sat/sun seemed more like 1.5 sec

1p: sat/sun roughly 30 sec ; weekday roughly 1 minute

The 7am seems consistent that you have to be spot on - Exactly at 7 you must be clicking through and if your phone lags/freezes, you won't get a bg. For the 1p slot, you definitely have more room for messing up or lagging screens

I read all of the information at the beginning of this thread (thanks so much for such a thorough guide!!) and have been pretty successful getting the 1pm in my practicing. Both yesterday and today were my first times trying for 7am though and on both days the join button just never showed up. What am I doing wrong??

what screen are you starting on? I have been starting on the main page with the at-ats. The join button is already there. So at exactly 7a, you click it. If you are starting from that next page, you have to keep refreshing the page in order for the join button to show. As others mentioned here, I would recommend the at-at page. Make sure your phone is set exactly to the time.gov time or account for any errors.

rofl... Congrats on getting what you must have really wanted, It will be a cold day in FL. in summer before I get up at 6:45 for some ride. The entire thing is just nuts to me. I saw people literally frantic. at the 1-2pm times, we checked periodically, when in line for other thigs with nothing else to do so, why not? May 26th they didn't open the 1 or 2 ( whatever it is), time slot at all. WE got to HS around 11:30 and would check and refresh just to see if we could catch one, and it didn't open the cue from then until we left around 4:30. However, we were not very diligent either. I love star wars, I guess I just don't understand all this hot mess over a ride that will be there forever.

The queue opens at 7 am and 1 pm. That's it. There wasn't going to be some random availability at 11:30 or 4:15. Rofl.

The ride might be there forever but most people don't go to Disney all the time and want the chance to go on it when they do. And well this is how you do it.

Unless the ride was completely down on May 26th (and I know it was recently down for a whole day), the 1 pm slot DID open up, it was just done in 30 seconds (per the prior post). It's literally open at 7 am and 1 pm, on the dot. And without diligence and specific knowledge on how to obtain the boarding group, most will miss out on the chance to ride. It may not be how you want to spend your vacation, but for some of us, we have been waiting well over a year for that opportunity. (I'm the one quoted in Post #1 with instructions on what to do - and that was just me practicing from home for a trip that eventually got cancelled.) I, for one, have made it a priority and will do everything I can to give my family the best chance to ride it this time.

I expect to continue to go to WDW in the years to come. But I definitely know things don't last forever. Last trip (2018), DH wanted to go to Mizner's (at GF), have a cocktail while listening to the GF band. Never got to it and, now, never will.....

what screen are you starting on? I have been starting on the main page with the at-ats. The join button is already there. So at exactly 7a, you click it. If you are starting from that next page, you have to keep refreshing the page in order for the join button to show. As others mentioned here, I would recommend the at-at page. Make sure your phone is set exactly to the time.gov time or account for any errors.
I was starting from the Virtual Queues button in the app. I will try from the home page where the button is already there tomorrow. Thank you!

I swear this will be my last question! (no pinkie promises)

I've been practicing the 7 AM for our Sunday excursion to Hollywood Studios and have been successful most days. I realize the connected family won't be selected and you just hit join since we will have reservations for Sunday.

HOWEVER, my 1 year old DD is included in the group and will not have a ticket obviously. I do not know if this will cause a snag and want to workshop this before the big day Sunday.

So having a 1 year old in the group without a reservation

A. Does it matter??? Just do the normal process.

B. Do I remove her from the group so I don't have to unclick her name on the reservations??

Seriously thanks for all the help. I feel much better about my chances Sunday now.

PS Does anyone suggest how big the group should be?? I think ours is at 6 and would like to add my sister and brother in law so we can all go together but don't want the group to be too big if chances of getting a boarding pass are diminished.

I've been practicing the 7 AM for our Sunday excursion to Hollywood Studios and have been successful most days. I realize the connected family won't be selected and you just hit join since we will have reservations for Sunday.

HOWEVER, my 1 year old DD is included in the group and will not have a ticket obviously. I do not know if this will cause a snag and want to workshop this before the big day Sunday.

B. Do I remove her from the group so I don't have to unclick her name on the reservations??

Seriously thanks for all the help. I feel much better about my chances Sunday now.

PS Does anyone suggest how big the group should be?? I think ours is at 6 and would like to add my sister and brother in law so we can all go together but don't want the group to be too big if chances of getting a boarding pass are diminished.
1 year old will not cause any issues. Just do the normal process and leave her in the group.

No issues with large groups. Make sure that everyone you want to ride together is connected in your friends and family list.

I just returned from a trip that included 2 days at DHS. I followed the advise here and got a Boarding Group for both days, BG 34 for one day and BG 46 for the other.

(1) I clicked on "Join" once before 7:00 am and backed out.
(2) I went to time.gov on my laptop and hovered my finger over the join button while staring at the time.
(3) I tapped "Join" as soon as I saw the time click over to 7:00 on the digital clock on time.gov.
(4) I tapped on "Join a Boarding Group", ignoring the people in my party.
(5) I was in!

I did the first one on my phone's data but I did the second one on the resort WiFi since I forgot to turn it off.

1 year old doesn't have a ticket, so no reservation, so she won't be preselected. But even so, if she was selected, just keep going.

Group size doesn't matter. Several have been successful with very large groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter