• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Really Disney!! I just wanted to add the dining plan

Tina1

DIS Veteran
So I have a room only reservation. I wanted to add the dining plan, you would think this would be easy. I was going to pay in full today. Story goes, 4 people going 2 already have tickets. When I made the reservation I had to purchase 2 tickets. I had to change the dates once. When I did this I was told the 2 tickets I purchased at the time of the reservation were stand alone tickets and could not be changed. So thats fine. I was kinda irritated at the time. Now move forward. Since I've made the first call, I've called back 4 times. The thing that gets me is Im told something different every time I call. I was willing to change the reservation to add the dinning plan I was told the 2 tickets were linked and attached to the room.Now if I change they will be canceled:rolleyes1. Tickets prices have increased since then UGGGG. I have no confidence in the system that will possible, loose my discount when the reservation is canceled and redone, all just to add the dining plan. I'm really just upset because Disney is making it harder to justify going back every year:scared::charac2:

I would stop dealing with the reservations cast member and call or email Guest Relations and voice your disappointment. They can usually get around stuff like that.

I'm not sure why Disney makes it so hard to give them MORE of your money!

I understand the changing to a package, How do I trust I wont loose my room discount that's now gone and ticket prices have gone up. Every time I call I get a different answer. If I had been told the right thing the second time I called, this might have turned out better. If they mess things up I have no faith they can fix it. Most of the people I talk to don't know what there doing. Honestly if the flights weren't already purchased, I'd probable just cancel.

here is my understanding of it

I have an Passholder Room Only discount. I don't need passes obvi I have an AP. I can not "add dining" because the DP is available with a MYW ticket package. so not sure if what you wanted to do was possible....but I could be wrong

I have an Passholder Room Only discount. I don't need passes obvi I have an AP. I can not "add dining" because the DP is available with a MYW ticket package.

Actually, this isn't quite true.

If you're on an AP discount or using an AP, you can't qualify for a promo like Free Dining, which requires ticket purchase, usually PH or WP&M type tickets. But you can absolutely add DDP. You have to call, and you have to request a ticketless package. They will let you add (and pay for) a Disney dining plan on that basis as an AP with a resort stay.

Actually, this isn't quite true.

If you're on an AP discount or using an AP, you can't qualify for a promo like Free Dining, which requires ticket purchase, usually PH or WP&M type tickets. But you can absolutely add DDP. You have to call, and you have to request a ticketless package. They will let you add (and pay for) a Disney dining plan on that basis as an AP with a resort stay.

Yeah maybe that's what I remember.....like I said I could be wrong. But all the issues that the OP is having is probably why I never did it

You have to use the magic words and get the right CM. It's "ticketless package." It will still involve conversion of the room-only, though, which can blow up.

The reservation agent will likely have to get guest services on the phone to transfer your discount from the room only to the new ticketless package but it should be possible to do. They do make it surprisingly hard to pay them more money for that kind of upgrade! The tickets are not attached to your reservation- if they were you'd already have a package and this would be easier. Changing your room only into a ticketless package should not do anything to your ticket, tickets aren't assigned dates of use when they're purchased by themselves.

It's not just a simple phone call to add a dining plan to a room only reservation. A regular call center CM can't do it. It needs to be done by guest relations. Call back and tell them you want to convert your room only reservation to a ticketless dining package.

Tried, first they said the tickets were not attached last month. Now they say they are this month. If I call again this evening i'll hear something else. Decided to buy gift cards for dinning. After adding up cost it seems about the same as the dinning plan. plus this way I don't have to call them back:rainbow:

I originally only had a room only reservation….. and wanted to add in the dining plan.. in order to do so I had to cancel my reservation and make a new one…. I didn't add the tickets in initially as well..thinking I would go a different route.. but after a few days.. I realized it was the same price.. went to purchase.. and the price changed……… frustrating for sure.. but at this point not changing anything.. and today they announced an increase in the dining plan….

If I'm tracking the OP correctly ...... they had a room only deal, they had 2 out of the 4 guest tickets (Purchased before booking) and then purchased 2 more tickets at time of room booking. NOW if I understand how the Dinning Plan works is it only can be added to a Package, a AP room only, or a DVC room. Since everyone in the room is not getting tickets this can not be considered a package. Therefor you can't add DP to this reservation. It would all have to be canceled and booked at today's rate with all 4 having to get tickets can't use old tickets.

I don't have an AP but I've always been able to convert a room only reservation with CM friend discount to a package without tickets with a CM friend discount but each time I've been on hold for about an hour. They do have to call guest services which is why it takes so long, but I've never had a problem. Perhaps if you specify you only want the dining plan, not add tickets, you will get better results?

Also, can't you unlink tickets or temporarily transfer them to someone else? That could be an option while you make the change.

Since everyone in the room is not getting tickets this can not be considered a package.

Not true. I have a two-day resort stay tacked on to the end of my DVC stay. We added DDP because there will be two buffets for my under-age-10s that make it worth it, especially since we got the pre-hike DDP pricing. We did NOT add tickets. I have tickets from my DVC stay, purchased via UCT. Ticketless package.

You have to say the magic words: meeska-mooska-ticketless-package! when you get Toodles on the phone.

Cancel everything and start over. This just looks like a confusing mess. I am not surprised the CMs are inconsistent. There are bunch of discounts out there now or wait for Free Dining. Not trying to be mean but you really don't need the hassle of wishy washy CMs.

The dining plan is not that great. Just pay cash for your meals and avoid all of this mess with changing things around.

Tried, first they said the tickets were not attached last month. Now they say they are this month. If I call again this evening i'll hear something else. Decided to buy gift cards for dinning. After adding up cost it seems about the same as the dinning plan. plus this way I don't have to call them back:rainbow:

I think this is the best solution. You are not getting any kind of discount on the dining plan and the dining plan does not give you any real value other than prepaying for you meals. Buying gift cards will do the same thing for you, and in the end, you may see that you saved money by not doing the dining plan. Plus, you have more flexibility.

If I'm tracking the OP correctly ...... they had a room only deal, they had 2 out of the 4 guest tickets (Purchased before booking) and then purchased 2 more tickets at time of room booking. NOW if I understand how the Dinning Plan works is it only can be added to a Package, a AP room only, or a DVC room. Since everyone in the room is not getting tickets this can not be considered a package. Therefor you can't add DP to this reservation. It would all have to be canceled and booked at today's rate with all 4 having to get tickets can't use old tickets.

There are ticketless packages that don't require tickets to add the DDP.

Not true. I have a two-day resort stay tacked on to the end of my DVC stay. We added DDP because there will be two buffets for my under-age-10s that make it worth it, especially since we got the pre-hike DDP pricing. We did NOT add tickets. I have tickets from my DVC stay, purchased via UCT. Ticketless package.

You have to say the magic words: meeska-mooska-ticketless-package! when you get Toodles on the phone.
Okay I stand corrected. I wish if Disney is not going to follow a policy they tell people when they call then just make it available for everyone without having to say magical words to bypass the policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter