• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Really embarrassing, but. . .

leighe

<font color=teal>Are we there yet?<br><font color=
I know this is so silly - but . .
I have a huge bird phobia. I mean HUGE. Sparrows look the size of golden retrievers to me and don't even get me started on chicken, duck type animals. The last time DH and I were at WDW I refused to go to AK because I understood that you enter the park through what they call the "Oasis" which is populated by various tropical birds along with other animals. DH let me get away with it that time b/c we were only there for 6 days and wanted to do more than we had time to do anyway. Next trip, however, is for almost 2 weeks, so I don't think I'll be able to get out of it this time. I guess my question is, how close do you get to the birds? Are the scared of people and will fly away or could you walk up to them and touch them. I know it's soooo ridiculous to let something like that keep me from experiencing a beautiful park like AK, but I really am terrified. Last trip while we were waiting to Hoop Dee Do a peacock flew up on the porch railing right in front of me and I came this _ close to passing out. Little kids were laughing at me:)

All the birds, reptiles and the like are in cages, although they don't look like cages. You are not walking through and aviary at all. You can just go through and not even stop to notice the birds. Now, the Maharajah Jungle Trek and Pangani Exploration Trail both have open aviary's in them, so I would avoid them if you don't want to be around birds flying about you. It is a short walk across both aviarys, but they are free to fly about where you are walking. Good luck and have fun!

I don't recall the birds coming up to me in all my visits. In general if you stay in the middle of the walkways through the Oasis you won't get to near the birds. They are all behind low fences and they don't ( at least when I have gone through) come over the fences. If you walk up to the fences you can be quite close to them. Be aware that on many of the different walkways, throughout the AK, there are spots where animals and birds are kept. One area on Discovery Island near the bridge to Africa has some HUGE storks. This last trip while I was taking video it flapped its wings and moved closer to the fence which would most definately startle you.
Also be aware that on Pangani Forest Trail and Maharaja Jungle treck, both trails go through Aviaries, which I have always thought were pretty mellow and you don't see ton's of birds but might be a bit hellish on you as they do fly around and swoop by you.

I don't think you will have much of a problem at the oasis, but if you fear includes ostriches, skip the Kilimanjaro Safaris tour and whatever you do, do not go see flights of wonder.:eek: The oasis just has a few parrots. We usually walk so fast through that area to get to some of the popular rides, that I forget they are even there. There are also birds on the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail and an Aviary in the Maharajah Jungle Trek. If your fear is really bad, try to stay in the Dinoland USA area and go see the shows. Festival of the Lion King is excellent as is Tarzan Rocks. If you are unsure about a certain ride or area, ask a CM they are very helpful. Hope you have a great time!! :wave2:

CM's will occasionally have birds with them along the pathways, but you will be able to see them before you get close. In all my visits to AK, I have never been close to a bird without doing so intentionally.

Even the Safari should be ok, if you sit in the middle of a row. I'm sure if you asked a CM at boarding they would accommodate you and seat you in the middle, rather than on the end of a row. That said, I've also never been close to the Ostriches on the Safari, so it might be less 'risky' than you might think.

Enjoy! It's a beautiful park. Well worth seeing. :)

just a thought, but why don't you find a good hypnotist and get your phobia cleared, you could then enjoy all the beautiful birds in the park

leighe, your not alone. I have the same problem. I don't like birds at all. I have a few tips that will help you out. You really won't have a problem in AK so get ready to enjoy yourself. Don't go to the Bird show or through the aviary. If you want to go through the trails and must go through the aviary just keeping looking down at your feet. I have done this and made it out just fine. Another tip is don't go in the winter, the birds are awful!! If you do go in the winter don't go to Frontier Land in MK. They are so bad there you can't walk around with out them flying all around you. Also, don't go on the Boardwalk by the Flying Fish cafe and the Boardwalk hotel. The birds are way to bad there in the wintertime too. Just relax and enjoy yourself. I hope this helps you out, have a great time.:wave:

you should probably stayed away from the boat dock on the boardwalk. My DH had a big bird swoop down and leave a liitle surprise on him just before we were to get on the boat. It :Pinkbounc on the back of his shirt,where he couldn't reach it so i was stuck cleaning it off:crazy: . The birds there are way to friendly. Susan

Originally posted by Poohs Pal
The birds there are way to friendly. Susan

412.gif

Susan
Sent you a PM for the info you requested.
awink.gif

I too have this problem!!!! Those fluttering wings send me over the edge. I did not have a problem anywhere except the Flights of Wondere show. DS begged me to go. He loves birds. (So much for the genetic thing) I just about lost it in there, DS was chosen to throw a grape up for the bird. Hs threw it toward me!!!!! Well that was it for me. I will NOT do it again. Not even for DS.

Jordan's mom

Just a note about the safari...When I've been on that ride in the past, an ostrich "attacked" one of the jeeps...not the passengers, but it was pecking the jeep and the jeep couldn't move without getting the animal people to come run it away from the jeep...that might be something to avoid, or at least be prepared for the possibility of one coming right up to the vehicle.

In the Flights of Wonder show at the AK, a woman comes out who is very afraid of birds. Of course, it's all scripted but you may find some resonance with her personality. At the end all is well and she appreciates the magnificent beauty of our fine, feathered friends! :D ::MickeyMo

Whatever you do, don't get anything to eat in Fantasyland at MK. My husband waited in a long line for ice cream and as he walked away, the birds that were patiently waiting for him to get his ice cream, swooped down and took the entire double scooped ice cream out of his hands! Of course, being disney, they gave him a brand new one and said that happens all day long!

I would advise not eating outside anywhere at WDW! We have had birds swoop down and take food right off our plates at Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Epcot. At the Poly, DD was eating a french fry by the pool and a black crow flew down and took it right out of her hand. She thought it was funny but you may not be amused. The AK would be the least of my worries if I were scared of birds!

Yes, i have to agree! I just remembered, we were walking back thru the side walkway from Tomorrowland and passing the Plaza Restaurant, alot of people were eating outside and we saw a bird swoop down and take an entire hotdog off a plate and fly up to the roof and eat it! The little boy was stunned! It was so funny to see this hot dog hanging out of the birds mouth as it flew away. Disney birds are bold! lol

I wandered off on a side trail at AK -- turned around and was eyeball to eyeball with this tall exotic bird - something crested guinea fowl? It was just on the other side of a fence, but I could've reached over and touched it. The fence was waist high. If you stay on the main walkways I think you'll be ok as far as the birds are concerned. If you want to see gorillas there is a little area when you get off the safari where you don't have to walk through the bird aviaries.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. It is nice to know that other people are freaked out by birds too. I know it's irrational but - I can't even imagine trying to get over my phobia. We were at WDW last summer and I did get a little used to how close the birds will get when you have food. DH even took a picture of me eating ice cream at Aunt Polly's. Until we got the film developed I didn't know he took it because there was a huge white bird perched on a chair right behind me - if I had turned my head we would have been eye to eye. ARGHHHHHH!!!!!! I'm glad my neurosis amuses him! I usually get better as I am around them more. I was just worried about AK because parrots and big tropical birds REALLY freak me out.:eek: :eek:

Originally posted by WDWAurora
Just a note about the safari...When I've been on that ride in the past, an ostrich "attacked" one of the jeeps...not the passengers, but it was pecking the jeep and the jeep couldn't move without getting the animal people to come run it away from the jeep...that might be something to avoid, or at least be prepared for the possibility of one coming right up to the vehicle.

Ostriches are nasty birds...I was bitten by one once at a local zoo. :(

I would have to say that there are birds flying about freely in all of the parks, just because they happen to live there.

Is it just big, exotic ones that frighten you? I don't recall any of the ones in the aviarys swooping down at people, but I don't recall them being caged either.

The Animal Kingdom "intentional" birds are definitely the least of the problem!! We accidentally spilled a bucket of popcorn while waiting for a parade in the MK.... The CMs were there IMMEDIATELY with a broom and bucket... said they had lots of trouble with the birds....Don't eat outside!!...:eek:

Seriously, seek help.

Birds are one of our best friends. They eat A LOT of nasty bugs and such (like mice and other rodents).

I would definitely be more worried about the native birds than anything they have as part of the AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter