Refurbishment Questions

uconnfan4

Mouseketeer
I have some questions about what typically happens during a property refurbishment. I know that each one is probably different, but am wondering about the following:

1. Do they just work on the inside or are outside areas typically included?

2. What types of things are usually addressed inside? Carpeting? Furniture? Painting? Bathrooms? Hallways? Common Areas?

3. Is it a lot more difficult to reserve a room during the time frame when the property is being refrubished? I know that they must not shut the entire resort down, so I am guessing that they complete the process floor by floor which would decrease the overall number of rooms available.

4. How long does the process usually take?

5. Does it have any effect on maintenance fees in the years prior or years that come after? I tried to look at the BWV fees and didn't see much difference around the time that it was refurbished.

6. Does interest regarding booking increase for a property after a refurb is complete?

I am considering purchasing BCV and have read that it is scheduled for a refurb in 2014. I am wondering how that refurb will affect the property. I assume it will be a positive (of course), but want to know what I would be getting myself in to if I buy there.

Disney refurbishes its properties on a regular schedule(sorry, I don't know what it is). Disney always lets you know if you will be visiting during a refurbishment or if some parts of the resort will be unavailable during the refurbishment. It can be both soft goods(linens, paint, etc.) and hard goods(pool refurbishment, etc.). You will be fine buying at BCV because any home resort will eventually be refurbished. SSR is undergoing refurbishment now and I didn't have any problems when I stayed there during the refurbishment.

I have some questions about what typically happens during a property refurbishment. I know that each one is probably different, but am wondering about the following:

1. Do they just work on the inside or are outside areas typically included?

2. What types of things are usually addressed inside? Carpeting? Furniture? Painting? Bathrooms? Hallways? Common Areas?

3. Is it a lot more difficult to reserve a room during the time frame when the property is being refrubished? I know that they must not shut the entire resort down, so I am guessing that they complete the process floor by floor which would decrease the overall number of rooms available.

4. How long does the process usually take?

5. Does it have any effect on maintenance fees in the years prior or years that come after? I tried to look at the BWV fees and didn't see much difference around the time that it was refurbished.

6. Does interest regarding booking increase for a property after a refurb is complete?

I am considering purchasing BCV and have read that it is scheduled for a refurb in 2014. I am wondering how that refurb will affect the property. I assume it will be a positive (of course), but want to know what I would be getting myself in to if I buy there.

Hard refurbishment means closing down buildings because they paint, replace flooring, probably replace furniture, pretty much clean it out good. Soft goods replaces upholstered furniture, bedding, towels, etc. And exterior refurbishment may take place the same time they take a building or floor or section out to do a hard refurbishment. At OKW, they took out a building or two at a time. BWV, they took out a section on a floor at a time. But they will remove carpet in the hallway, replace wallpaper, repaint the hallway, so you might walk through semi-construction areas.

When we were at VWL in January, they were refurbishing a two bedroom lockoff, possibly for a sample room. The rooms were pretty much gutted. Carpet removed in the villas and replaced with either Pergo or other wood like flooring. Rooms were painted, furniture replaced. Appliances replaced. New wallpaper and carpet in that section of the corridor.

Exterior can be done at any time. There always seems to be something being worked on, exterior paint, roof, pools, etc. Our last stay at SSR they were doing the interior of the building next to us, SSR will take a year to complete. Our stay at SSR the time before that, the main pool was closed for repair work.

Our last stay at VWL they were replacing damaged roof sections.

Earlier this month at BWV they were pressure washing the exterior, maybe getting ready to paint again and the main pool had just re-opened after being closed for a few weeks.

:earsboy: Bill

Thank you!

Does anyone know any specifics of the plans for the refurbishment for BCV?

5. Does it have any effect on maintenance fees in the years prior or years that come after?

not usually. a reserve for planned refurbishments is built into your regular annual dues.

now for those who own at Vero Beach, for example, there is more of a risk of a special assessment (extra maintenance fees) due to major unexpected storm damage.

Thank you for the link to the page regarding refurbishment at BCV, I hope that it stays updated with info. I am glad to hear that about the dues. That makes me feel better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter