renting points/NO FREE DINING!

disneyobessed

DIS Veteran
I just read on mousesavers that the free dining plan was going to be offered starting Aug 13!!! Our ressies are for Aug 6-11. we were going to change them to the 13-18th but i just called disney and they said they dont offer the free dining plan to renters????????? Is this true?

Free dining is only for those who pay rack rate for their rooms. As a renter you are getting a huge discount that would is bigger than the free dining. Sounds to me like you already have a better deal than anyone staying in a regular room with free dining.

Actually, DVC doesn't even acknowledge rental of DVC points as a rental. As far as Disney is concerned, your friend is letting you stay at his timeshare for the week.

can't wait to start seeing threads like: "DVC members aren't being appreciated" because we don't get free meals. :rotfl2: :stir:

disneyobessed said:
I just read on mousesavers that the free dining plan was going to be offered starting Aug 13!!! Our ressies are for Aug 6-11. we were going to change them to the 13-18th but i just called disney and they said they dont offer the free dining plan to renters????????? Is this true?
Are you kidding?????? Free dining is when you purchase a complete package plan through Disney. Renting points is something completely different. You should know that if you are renting points. Bless the person you are renting from!

disneyobessed said:

:sad2:

I can't help but wonder how many DVC members who rent their ponts will end up with cancellations. Just one more reason to have "no cancellations" in the rental contract.

Tink10 said:
:sad2:

I can't help but wonder how many DVC members who rent their ponts will end up with cancellations. Just one more reason to have "no cancellations" in the rental contract.
Yep...I can hear the wailing now!

This is just "free dining" right? I just want to make sure we can still purchase the dining plan which I think is still pretty good for us!

tigger2on said:
This is just "free dining" right? I just want to make sure we can still purchase the dining plan which I think is still pretty good for us!
Yes, you can still purchase the dining plan. I agree, it's great, especially if you have kids and want to do some character meals.

tigger2on said:
Yes, you can purchase the dining plan. They're just not giving it away for DVC stays.

OK, we are renting points for 7/31-8/4 for 2BR at BWV. Just out of curiosity after all the posts about the free DP with Disney Visa I called and checked.
If we were to change our dates to 8/13 (within the rabge of the offer) and add 1 more day (min. is 5 nights/ we are booked for 4) the cost for the Visa offer would be $4462.80 (with 6 day/hopper for 5 adults). The breakdown on our current plans are:
DVC rental - $1600
6 day hopper - $1251.40
DP (thru DVC) - 759.80

Current total - 3611.20

Even if we add another night to make it the same # as the Visa offer it would be less that the $800 difference.

We come out way ahead renting points. Thank you to all owners for offering this.

Alexander said:
Are you kidding?????? Free dining is when you purchase a complete package plan through Disney. Renting points is something completely different. You should know that if you are renting points. Bless the person you are renting from!

:sail: I see rough waters ahead for those renting their points. Folks, this is another good reason to have a "no refunds or cancellations" policy.

.................wait a second......is this another April Fools??? ;)

disneyobessed said:

I decided to do the math

Points to rent 55-65 so @ $10 $550-$650
Same room from WDW - $1700
Savings: $1050-1150

Cost of non-free dining $97.96 a day times 5 = $489.80

I still see a savings of $500+....

When you stay on DVC points and purchase the dining plan, you are NOT required to buy tickets. As a lot of DVC members are annual passholders, this makes sense.

This new "cash" package Disney has offered means you pay rack rate for your room, you purchase tickets for EVERYONE in your party, and then you get the free dining plan. Disney probably offered it because it's hurricane season and most kids are back in school. I think they offered this same deal last year if I remember correctly.

I would break it down and do the math. See which one is the better deal for your particular situation. Whether you need tickets or not would be a big deciding factor for me. Plus, the rack rate on a deluxe resort is not cheap.

I just did the math myself. I'm renting points, plus buying tickets and the dining plan. But the price I was quoted by disney is $2,800 for my 6 nights vs. the $2,100 cost for everything including the point rental. So I'm still ahead $700. Renting points was clearly a great bargin, even if I have to pay for the dining plan.

The real discounts with the free dining is staying at the value resorts. The discount of free dining is much better than if they offered a 20% or 30% discount. When you move up to deluxe resorts, a percentage discount deal may have been better. For example, if you have 2 adults, a $100 AP discount at a deluxe would be better than free dining ($76).

didnt realize one question would create such a problem. next time i wont even ask... and NO i wont be cancelling my reservations through my renter.... I do realize im saving a ton of money renting and yes i do appreciate it.

Don't let the subtle elitism bother you. Just know that most members do appreciate renters like yourself and aren't bothered by your questions. You all add tremendously to the value of our DVC memberships.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter