Reopenings at Aulani

That's just a made-up, almost certainly false number. We get it. You don't like paper schedules. Many others do. The paper is only "wasted" if the schedule isn't used.
U mad bro?

Yes obviously any time someone says "99.9%," they're making a rhetorical point and not citing double-blind academic research. I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond so aggressively.

Last edited:
U mad bro?

Yes obviously any time someone says "99.9%," they're making a rhetorical point and not citing double-blind academic research. I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond so aggressively.
I don't think I was very aggressive. But, every time there's a thread about daily navigators on the cruise board or about the 'iwa here, you have to chime in and let us all know that paper is wasteful and that nobody wants the paper schedules and that you'll be happy if they never come back. We get it.

I don't think I was very aggressive. But, every time there's a thread about daily navigators on the cruise board or about the 'iwa here, you have to chime in and let us all know that paper is wasteful and that nobody wants the paper schedules and that you'll be happy if they never come back. We get it.
Maybe you have me mixed up with somebody else. I believe I've mentioned this exactly once before, on the Cruise Line forum, and in that post I stated that DISNEY views this as a "green" initiative, as opposed to a COVID initiative. I've also expressed my preference for paper menus at restaurants several times.

Last edited:

Be nice to have a print on demand option. They have printers and devices that can access such. A printing kiosk would work, too.
Exactly, it doesn't have to be a full color, glossy print out either. And if they had a recycle bin to put them in when you are done using them, so much the better.

Sooo….

Does anyone really think they will bring the lei greetings back or do people feel it will not come back as a cost savings measure?

Are there staffing issues that would inhibit the ability to make them in-house or even from a vendor? Without the same Covid protocols it seems like it could be allowed now from a physical/distance perspective, at least to hand them to you so is it supply, staffing or cost savings?

Or is it something else?

Sooo….

Does anyone really think they will bring the lei greetings back or do people feel it will not come back as a cost savings measure?

Are there staffing issues that would inhibit the ability to make them in-house or even from a vendor? Without the same Covid protocols it seems like it could be allowed now from a physical/distance perspective, at least to hand them to you so is it supply, staffing or cost savings?

Or is it something else?
I have to imagine staffing. There is plenty of close interaction between guest and cast member, and most if not all cast members wear masks when inside (and the Lei greeting was out in the valet area). As other posts mention there are other means, it would just be a nice welcome.

I have to imagine staffing. There is plenty of close interaction between guest and cast member, and most if not all cast members wear masks when inside (and the Lei greeting was out in the valet area). As other posts mention there are other means, it would just be a nice welcome.
I agree! I really wish it would come back for our July trip! We have never been to Hawaii and I think it would be a very special arrival experience for our whole family! Obviously the trip will be special but I think that would be very cool. I will always remember getting a late greeting when we arrived in Tahiti for our honeymoon 23 years ago! It was so cool!

I know I can purchase them ourselves and even purchase one at the airport too. Considering I’m paying rack rate at Aulani for our one BR it would be very nice if it were included. Our trip has become quite expensive with a cancellation of all Suncountry flights to Hawaii and need to rebook for a significantly more expensive cost. And while lei greeting is a drop in the bucket comparatively- things just continue to add up! And Disney nickel and diming gets old as well. Just would be happy to see it come back!

Sooo….

Or is it something else?
I think it will come back as it’s a fairly standard item in Hawaii. Many tours and resorts provide leis, so it will be seen as a deficiency if Aulani doesn’t offer it. Plus it’s (normally) a pretty low cost benefit.

Much like the "we will only clean your towels if you make us" notes, I don't foresee Disney ever bringing back the things they cut until they are forced. After all, they've proven that people will still pay insane rates without them. Leis and a person to deliver them is probably a $100k plus expense that's headed right to the bottom line right now.

Hopefully, I'm proven wrong.

Last edited:
Much like the "we will only clean your towels if you make us notes," I don't foresee Disney ever bringing back the things they cut until they are forced. After all, they've proven that people will still pay insane rates without them. Leis and a person to deliver them is probably a $100k plus expense that's headed right to the bottom line right now.

I think industry wide, reducing cleaning services is something that will stick around. Lots of benefits from reducing, and as long as your competitors are doing it, you don’t put yourself at a disadvantage by not returning to normal levels. Plus, you can sell it to the public in the same way as “to reduce environmental impacts, we won’t wash your towels..”.

Time will tell, but I think leis are one of the “must have for selling a Premium Hawaiian Resort” features, similar to how Aunty’s is a differentiator for Aulani.

Justifying a one time $10 per person expense is easy to do when you’re charging a $200 a night premium.

BTW - $100k is probably the monthly expenditure - 800 rooms x 3 people per room x $10 per person adds up quickly!

Much like the "we will only clean your towels if you make us notes," I don't foresee Disney ever bringing back the things they cut until they are forced. After all, they've proven that people will still pay insane rates without them. Leis and a person to deliver them is probably a $100k plus expense that's headed right to the bottom line right now.

I'm confused by the premise. Disney changes towels.

I'm confused by the premise. Disney changes towels.
Every Disney hotel room ... for that matter just about every hotel room I've been in in the last 10 years has a little sign that says words to the equivalent "In order to save the environment, we won't change your towels if you hang them back up." Everyone knows it has little to do with the environment and everything to do with the bottom line ... environment is just the excuse.

I think industry wide, reducing cleaning services is something that will stick around. Lots of benefits from reducing, and as long as your competitors are doing it, you don’t put yourself at a disadvantage by not returning to normal levels. Plus, you can sell it to the public in the same way as “to reduce environmental impacts, we won’t wash your towels..”.

Time will tell, but I think leis are one of the “must have for selling a Premium Hawaiian Resort” features, similar to how Aunty’s is a differentiator for Aulani.

Justifying a one time $10 per person expense is easy to do when you’re charging a $200 a night premium.

BTW - $100k is probably the monthly expenditure - 800 rooms x 3 people per room x $10 per person adds up quickly!
I was guessing that they were getting them for a lot cheaper than $10 since they are buying them in bulk but yeah $100k is probably the manpower expense ... I was trying to avoid the "you're making up numbers" argument! :-)

Just don't hang them back up. That's not Disney "requiring you to write a note" to get your towels changed.
The quote was in the wrong spot... thought most people would figure that out logically... edit post to move it ... happy now? The premise doesn't change ... they quit replacing all used towels to save $

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter