• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reopenings at Aulani

Every Disney hotel room ... for that matter just about every hotel room I've been in in the last 10 years has a little sign that says words to the equivalent "In order to save the environment, we won't change your towels if you hang them back up." Everyone knows it has little to do with the environment and everything to do with the bottom line ... environment is just the excuse.
Eh. I'd say that about 90% of the time, the towels that I attempt to reuse by hanging them up get replaced anyway. This definitely happened every single day on my last two cruises, but it also happened at the last few non-Disney hotels I've stayed in.

I was guessing that they were getting them for a lot cheaper than $10 since they are buying them in bulk but yeah $100k is probably the manpower expense ... I was trying to avoid the "you're making up numbers" argument! :-)
👍. I was trying to be conservative. I haven’t seen the quality of the leis, but I’m assuming they were providing a slightly better than basic lei, which probably costs around $10 at quantity.

But I’m guessing on the high side for weekly guest count - they probably (normally) run about 90% occupancy, but I have no idea what the guest per room ratio is.

Last edited:
I asked about Ama Ama last weekend when I called for reservations at Makahiki and the Aulani CM I spoke with said she didn’t know if it was ever going to reopen at all…. 😞
I wonder if it wasn't a big money maker. A lot of the reports I've seen said the restaurants wasn't full, even though reservations were all booked up.

Sooo….

Does anyone really think they will bring the lei greetings back or do people feel it will not come back as a cost savings measure?

Are there staffing issues that would inhibit the ability to make them in-house or even from a vendor? Without the same Covid protocols it seems like it could be allowed now from a physical/distance perspective, at least to hand them to you so is it supply, staffing or cost savings?

Or is it something else?
My guess is it's a combination of all 3. Staffing issues at the lei making company means they cost more, plus Disney has to pay the greeters. I doubt the close proximity is an issue at this point, since almost all other experiences are back.

I wonder if it wasn't a big money maker. A lot of the reports I've seen said the restaurants wasn't full, even though reservations were all booked up.
They're doing some construction on 'AMA'AMA. It's still listed on the Aulani website as temporarily closed. There's no indication that it won't reopen.

They're doing some construction on 'AMA'AMA. It's still listed on the Aulani website as temporarily closed. There's no indication that it won't reopen.
It’s been 592 days since Aulani reopened. The fact that Aulani hasn’t seen fit to reopen their outdoor beachfront signature restaurant in those 592 is days is probably why people are concerned it won’t reopen.

It’s been 592 days since Aulani reopened. The fact that Aulani hasn’t seen fit to reopen their outdoor beachfront signature restaurant in those 592 is days is probably why people are concerned it won’t reopen.
They just reopened Auntie's a few weeks ago. There was a lot of talk about how that would never open, too. Until Disney says otherwise, 'AMA'AMA is only temporarily closed.

They just reopened Auntie's a few weeks ago. There was a lot of talk about how that would never open, too. Until Disney says otherwise, 'AMA'AMA is only temporarily closed.
But there are practical reasons for that (childcare, childcare workers) and honestly they were quite late on that compared to any comparably expensive resort in Hawaii. Dining has been underserved and BUSY for some time. I will assume that as someone mentioned above - Ama Ama doesn’t make them enough money and now that they can eek out almost $70 from 10 year olds at Makahiki they are in no rush and will wait till they absolutely have to to reopen (like Auntie’s).

Look, a job posting for a chef at 'AMA'AMA. It was posted three days ago.

https://www.monster.com/job-opening...camp-hi--16992e3f-3122-408e-b8c8-e12f7fd1743b

I swear, the Disney community just loves their unsupported conspiracies.
592 days closed. That is a fact. Not a conspiracy.

They would be smart to try to upgrade their service and offerings giving the absolute dumpster fire of recent TripAdvisor reviews.

That said, happy to hear that after trying everything else they will finally do the right thing 😉 and open an OUTDOOR dining establishment.

I know it isn't exactly Aulani, but the Four Seasons next door has an iconic Sunday brunch that is really not to be missed. I just called today and they confirmed they are back to doing the full buffet on Sundays now! 95 dollars and worth every penny.
I know it isn't exactly Aulani, but the Four Seasons next door has an iconic Sunday brunch that is really not to be missed. I just called today and they confirmed they are back to doing the full buffet on Sundays now! 95 dollars and worth every penny.
Which restaurant at the Four Seasons? I called them and they said La HIki is only open to Four Seasons guests.

Which restaurant at the Four Seasons? I called them and they said La HIki is only open to Four Seasons guests.
We did brunch at La Hiki a couple of weeks ago when we were staying at Aulani. I made the reservation on the Four Seasons website (sends you to Open Table). We were never asked if we were Four Seasons guests.

Yeah but they've also been saying that for a long time. If they wanted to reopen it by now, they could've.

Yeah but they've also been saying that for a long time. If they wanted to reopen it by now, they could've.
Again, they posted a new job for 'AMA'AMA a few days ago. They're reopening the resort slowly as staffing allows. Like everywhere else in the world, Aulani doesn't have enough staff.

The restaurant will open again, probably in the next few months.

Again, they posted a new job for 'AMA'AMA a few days ago. They're reopening the resort slowly as staffing allows. Like everywhere else in the world, Aulani doesn't have enough staff.

The restaurant will open again, probably in the next few months.
I never doubted that it might open, I just mentioned that they weren't in a hurry to open it. 2 years is a long time for construction, and the rest of the island doesn't seem to have an issue hiring for fine dining restaurants.

I never doubted that it might open, I just mentioned that they weren't in a hurry to open it. 2 years is a long time for construction, and the rest of the island doesn't seem to have an issue hiring for fine dining restaurants.
Disney's been slow about reopening everywhere, though. There are still restaurants at WDW that haven't fully reopened, for example.

At Aulani presently and wanted to give some updates. There are no longer an adult only swimming pool but the 18 year and older whirlpool area remains. However, when we were using the adult whirlpool, several times parents allowed their kids to go in. In addition, as others have reported, former Ama Ama restaurant is going through renovations. When talking to a cast member, it was indicated that a fine dining restaurant will be opening but no definitive date. Aunty’s beach house is open.

To address a previous post about La Hiki….Ate at La Hiki at the four seasons for lunch yesterday with no reservation and had no problem getting a table. Food was delicious. Highly recommend the lettuce cups and fish tacos! Service was friendly and efficient.

Just a heads up. Not that this charge will break the bank but you may want to consider bringing a bag for purchases made in Oahu or reusing bags. There is a state wide charge of 15 cents every time you want a bag for any purchases made including groceries.

Last edited:
Look, a job posting for a chef at 'AMA'AMA. It was posted three days ago.

https://www.monster.com/job-opening...camp-hi--16992e3f-3122-408e-b8c8-e12f7fd1743b

I swear, the Disney community just loves their unsupported conspiracies.
They’ve been posting for that position since at least early April. It takes time to ramp up a restaurant. Most likely they’ve been struggling to keep the facilities they have open fully staffed, let alone reopening additional ones.

I thought they were doing some construction also, which was delayed for permitting? Could have been for a different restaurant though.

They’ve been posting for that position since at least early April. It takes time to ramp up a restaurant. Most likely they’ve been struggling to keep the facilities they have open fully staffed, let alone reopening additional ones.

How much time? The Four Seasons has all its high-end restaurants open...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter