Resort for Solo Traveler

DG-12

Mouseketeer
Trying to work up the nerve to book a solo trip for early this summer... My husband won't be able to go and none of my girlfriends seem to be too interested. What would be a good place to stay for a solo female traveller without a car?

Thanks,
Dana

Hi Dana -
I've stayed solo at all levels of resorts and never felt scared or nervous. Also Disney transportation is great!! So I think it boils down to how much you want to spend - here's where I've stayed solo and what I've thought:

Deluxe - stayed 6 nights at the Dolphin and thought it was THE BEST. Close to Epcot and MGM with great boat transportation both. Being a convention hotel, I never felt the least bit out of place being by myself. Staying at the Swan in Dec. solo and can't wait!

Moderate - also a convention hotel and has the best amenities of the moderates including a fitness center, hair salon, etc. Really enjoyed it there but would also stay at POFQ because it's smaller and quainter.

Value - have stayed at both Pop and ASMu solo. Definitely Pop tops the list just because it's newer and is more centrally located, but still like ASMu as I think it has the least amount of kids out of the 3 All Stars.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any more questions!!! :teeth:

how the budget?

if fine - then an Epcot resort - why - you are close enough to walk/boat to 2 theme parks - Epcot and Studios.

if the budget can't take it - then look into renting points from a DVC member for either BCV or BWV - rental rates should starts around $120 (off-season) to around $140 on season (not counting Easter or Xmas to NY)

you would be in a deluxe resort within walking distance of the parks.

if that is too much for your budget and you don't mind the WDW buses -then I would go for Pop Century - it has some little things that the other value resorts don't - a pool bar and a lounge!!!

Pop Century is a big resort - with lots of families - but this place also attracts - couples and singles too.

I love Pop Century! :) For details of my recent solo trip there check the link in my signature (Sleep. Eat. Ride.).

N.E.D.

I've made 3 solo trips already this year... and have stayed several places.. and honestly... anywhere on property is great! I have to say however, that the Dolphin is my new favorite hotel. I Would stay there again over and over!!! The Pool is FANTASTIC to just lounge around... there are many eating options... everything is in walking distance... and like many have said.. being that the swan/dolphin are convention hotels, there are many solo people there... not as many families.. so.... you don't feel left out or lonely... go to kimonos one night.. at the swan.. they have Karaoke..and the atmosphere is really cool... no cover.. and you can have dinner and a drink at the bar... or at a table while you listen to the crowd... lots of fun! My favorite "winter" hotel is The Wilderness Lodge... but it is very secluded... and there are lots of families.. may make you feel a bit blue if you are without yours... and there aren't many food options there... except sit down. The Roaring Forks fast food place is just that... whereas the Dolpin area has MANY food options... one being Beaches and Cream at the Yacht/Beach club... just a stroll away.. and always great for a solo burger and a shake at the counter!!!! A MUST for a solo traveler!! then hit the arcade right next door and play some games!! Lots of options as a solo... do what you want WHEN and IF you want!!

Go and have fun!!

Kathy

I've made 6 solo trips, and stayed at ASMusic (not recommended), AKL (OK), POR and BCV studio. The last two were by far the best. I agree with spiceycat-look into renting points from a DVCer for a studio at one of the Epcot resorts. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend Port Orleans, either R or FQ. Once you get the nerve to go that first time, I'll bet you'll be looking for a second...and a third...and...

I done so many solo trips I lost count! I stayed at many places solo since I usually split resorts on my trips. Solo I have stayed at Coronado 3 times; Caribbean Beach 2 times; Riverside once; French Quarter 2 times; Animal Kingdom Lodge once; Beach Club once; Pop Century once; and Wilderness Lodge once. The only one I would hesitate to stay at again is Riverside, simply because solos seem to always be in the same section (mansions) and I been there, done that, so nothing new to look forwards to.

My favorite places were Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. If you could afford a deluxes like them, go for it! Both are one big building, so no walking around dark parking lots or out-of-the-way sidewalks. And you don't feel isolated, either, as you can't really be placed "in the boonies" since there really aren't any there!

If budget is an issue, I found Pop Century just fine on one of my solo trips. Food court is large with plenty of seats; no problem with buses. :)

Hope you get to go!!! :) :) :)

I know that Disney is a very safe place, but I might pick a resort that is less spread out - so I didn't have to wander around grounds by myself and so I didn't feel so cut off. I stayed at the Contemporary by myself, for example and never felt lonely for a second. I think the Dolphin or Swan would be the same way.

the Cont and the Dolphin and Swan are large compared to POFQ or WL/VWL.

the AKL is a bit bigger - but still one hotel

So is the BC/YC/BCV - but very spread out

BWV is also one building - there is not a snack bar inside this resort not even a restuarant - so you can't eat without going outside the resort area.

separate buildings - are all the values, moderates, OKW, Polyn, GF, CONT (it has the wings in a separate building), the new SSR.

VWL and WL look like separte building - but they joined with the covered area.

Wow! So many things to consider. I don't think I will rent a car for the trip- since it will just be me. I like the idea of staying somewhere central to make transportation easier. But maybe Boardwalk- because my husband doesn't want to stay there when we go together- so it may be a good chance to stay there.

What about packages? Do all you solos book without pakcage or with a package? I don't know if I will go by myself (torn about convincing someone to go with me or just enjoying the time on my own) but if I do I would like to take a few of the tours, enjoy my favorite parts of the parks, and eat some nice meals...
Any advice?

Dana

I find it is usually cheaper than packages, also it gives me more flexibility. Usually I have an AP, but there are times I just go and stay at a resort and do other things like relax at the pool, shop, maybe even horseback riding.

Enjoy!! :teeth:

I book separately too - packages unless your are superwomen can have more stuff than you can do - so you will lose money.

plus sometimes I like to walk in a restuarant (only during off-season - won't attempt this on season).

lots of time I am really bad - I have room services - BWV has an excellent food service....

Originally posted by DG-12

What about packages? Do all you solos book without pakcage or with a package? I don't know if I will go by myself (torn about convincing someone to go with me or just enjoying the time on my own) but if I do I would like to take a few of the tours, enjoy my favorite parts of the parks, and eat some nice meals...
Any advice?

Dana

"all you solos"? :) Why do I feel I should take offense at that, hehe - just kidding! ;)

I always book seperately to WDW because it almost always is a better value for me, and I like being in control of my vacation. If I want to make a change, I make a phone call - I don't have to wait for a travel agent to do it for me. If you book through a package/agent, you cannot change anything without the agent. Even if you book a package yourself, unless it's an incredible value it's just usually not worth the loss of flexibility.

For instance, on my last trip with one day to go I decided to stay an extra night. I called the front desk, okay'd it with them, called the airline, changed my flight (took about 5 minutes - go Jet Blue!), and called mears to reschedule. Took me a total of 15 minutes (including getting the phone numbers, etc.) and was totally painless because I booked everything myself in the first place.

As to solo advice, read my trip report in my signature. It's almost finished (if I can stop reading here tonight, I may just get it done, hehe), and you will see how I dealt with being on my own in WDW. It really does open up a whole new World. For instance, you mentioned dining - it's a lot easier to decide to go to a "fancy" sit-down restaurant when it's only you to please. It's much easier to decide to drop $25-30 on a nice meal in World Showcase by yourself - because you don't have to worry about paying $100+ for a family if you are the one paying, or if you are going dutch if your fellow travelers want to spend that much money. The sit-down places in WDW really are very welcoming to solo guests - we tend to have a larger disposable income while we are in WDW and frequent those places more. I also hear we tip well. :)

The beauty of solo traveling is doing things you want to do - I sat on the TTA in Tomorrowland for 3-4 cycles one day, just enjoying myself until I was ready to stop. I won't lie, it's not for everyone - I mean, if you can't imagine yourself going to see a play or film by yourself, then a vacation is going to be a strech for you. You know yourself best - though I think more people would have a good time if they tried it. It sounds like you might just enjoy it - if it turns out it's not for you, at least you tried - and you STILL get to be at the happiest place on earth. :)

Good luck!

N.E.D.

I have to agree with all the advice above, it's all good. With the exception of the FTP back in 2003, I've always booked my trip parts seperately. I wake up and sometimes want to vary my days from my original plan. I had to do this one time just because the day I intended to spend at the waterpark was the one day it rained on my trip. You may wake up one day like I did and decide that you don't want to spend the day in a park, you may go to DTD and go shopping for 6 hours then come back to your room and watch tv or go swimming or read a book. If you have a package you generally get the UPH ticket which means you've wasted a day on that pass that you paid for a park day (it's a lot of money to waste for one day) so I always get Park Hoppers that way whatever days I don't use are good for life until used.

My next solo trip I would like to use several plus features from old tickets. This way I can do a night at DTD and maybe 2 days at a waterpark (one at TL and if BB is open then one there). Then I'll have a 7 day PHP and may only choose to use 2 or 3 park hopping days inbetween that way I still get to use at least 4 days on another trip back on another date.

As for the tours, there are plenty at Disney. I just took the Keys TTK tour and I loved it (there were several solo's doing the tour as well). The tour did tire me out though as you stood for long periods of time (the walking didn't get to me it was the standing inbetween the walking).

Another thing I love to do is tour the resorts I haven't stayed at. Choose two or three, plan a dinner there and walk around, look at the pools, food courts, layout and what amentities are available, shop in the shops and you'll determine if you ever want to stay there in the future. I just stayed at CSR this past trip for one night (I toured the resort back in 2002 and thought I would only like to stay one night). Well I'll be going back there, I really loved that resort - it's beautiful.

You would be suprised at how many people stay at the resorts and either don't step a foot in the parks or only spend 2 days in the parks when there staying a week.

A vacation is exactly that, a getaway from the normal everyday. Solo is certainly wonderful - no complaints from anyone, just pure enjoyment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter